Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2012 4:48 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Chapter 45
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 21, 2012 10:58 AM

Jan 2010
Excuse me while I go cry into a pillow.
Jun 21, 2012 11:23 AM

Aug 2008
The ending really satisfied me~ though I still want more of this... I never thought Sen would become a priest in training... I always hoped for him to end up with someone but it's okay~ ^^

I'm still sad that the series has ended now. ;__;
Jun 21, 2012 11:50 AM

Apr 2009
This volume felt slightly rushed but

nice ending!
Jun 21, 2012 12:09 PM

Apr 2011
*wipes manly tears of face*

Awesome series <3
Jun 21, 2012 12:31 PM
Jun 2012
Very nice ending! I shed some tears during the last pages! AWESOME :)
Jun 21, 2012 1:43 PM
Aug 2011
Sen as a priest fjalsfjal;fjaj WAT.
Not completely unexpected I guess, but it really threw me for a loop.

It did feel kind of rushed.
I just loved seeing them in high school and hanging out in the basement so i'm a bit sad that they never went back there. ;~;

Bros 4 life regardless. I can't complain about that.
Jun 21, 2012 1:58 PM

Feb 2009
What a good reading, Josei never disappoints me. I really liked the ending, even if it was a little rushed. I just think they could put how many years passed between the chapters... But anyway, it was great. They are so mature and beautiful... I like how this manga deals with distance, it's realistic. You lose contact little by little... I like how Kaoru follows his grandfather's dream despite being unhappy about it, I like how he slowly gets back to jazz...
Sen is a fine man now, huh? Thinking he looks really hot in that priest's clothes sounds really wrong... Anyway, I like how they reunite. "Moanin", running in the slope and making funny jokes. There was no drama and tears, it was a mature and nostalgic meeting. After 10 years or more, you aren't going to fight or anything, just smile and say: "So, we are together once more". It was rushed, but I think you have to read it slowly, looking in each panel, feeling what he's feeling... When Kaoru's mom was singing and when Jun-ichii appeared, I put "Lullaby for Birdland" and "Cherokee" as background music. It was beautiful. I almost cried with Kaoru hearing his mother whispering, not just a song, but a memory...
I really like this manga. It gave me the same feeling Fruits Basket gave (my all time favorite reading): People come and go, but one day you gonna meet someone who will change your world completly. People come and go, they will fly away, but the special ones will always be with you, not just in flesh&bones, but even in your choices and thoughts. Even if you don't reunite, you can only truly think: "I'm glad I met you".

ALL MY FEELINGS TO SAKAMICHI NO APOLLON. fdshfydgyusfug ;A;
Jun 21, 2012 2:10 PM
Sep 2010
im alittle disapointed in Ritsuko and her moment of weakness and sleeping with that guy but its a little understandable.
i just dident think that she was the type of person who would sleep with a almost random guy just because she was lonly

overall a good ending all 3 found eachother agan and our main guy got the girl
Jun 21, 2012 2:28 PM

Mar 2012
nightjade said:
im alittle disapointed in Ritsuko and her moment of weakness and sleeping with that guy but its a little understandable.
i just dident think that she was the type of person who would sleep with a almost random guy just because she was lonly

I think you might be reading that wrong. I certainly didn't infer from what she said to mean that she had slept with some random guy. I simply assumed that she had been casually seeing someone due to her loneliness, but I highly, highly doubt that was meant to imply that she slept with him.
Jun 21, 2012 2:49 PM
Sep 2010
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:

I think you might be reading that wrong. I certainly didn't infer from what she said to mean that she had slept with some random guy. I simply assumed that she had been casually seeing someone due to her loneliness, but I highly, highly doubt that was meant to imply that she slept with him.

but dont you remember that she stoped sending letters to our guy after she let that dud in her room?? i dont know about you but that tells me something happend otherwise why the guilt she felt??
Jun 21, 2012 3:18 PM

Mar 2012
nightjade said:
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:

but dont you remember that she stoped sending letters to our guy after she let that dud in her room?? i dont know about you but that tells me something happend otherwise why the guilt she felt??

hmm, I'm thinking she simply felt guilt because of the appearance that she had given up on Kaoru and that she was moving on from him. Suffice it to say, it basically didn't cross my mind while I was reading that she had slept with him. Who knows, I might be wrong, but it really doesn't seem like she would go that far with someone else.
Jun 21, 2012 3:43 PM

Mar 2012
Overall, this was a very satisfying ending!

Although it was slightly rushed, I still think it did an excellent job in conveying the emotions of separation and the warmth of having those connections return and reestablished.

The last page was the perfect way to send off this terrific, heartwarming story!
Jun 21, 2012 5:11 PM

Dec 2011
Great ending, though I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping for more on Sen.. he must have contacted Sacchan and his family at some point since he helped organize her wedding ceremony.. so long did they know? And how long did Ricchan and her father know about his whereabouts? Did everyone know before/ or after Kaoru?
I also hoped to see more of what Sen had been thinking and how he dealt with their sudden and long separation. He's always been strong and always hid his own pain, but he must've been suffering too. Was he feeling guilty at all?

Sigh. I'm excited for the tenth volume though! I hope some of these questions are answered. I'm also excited to read about Jun-nii and Yurika.
EmmrysJun 21, 2012 5:19 PM
Jun 21, 2012 5:16 PM

Apr 2011
It was beautiful, simplistic, yet wonderful. i just love everything about this manga. This will definitely be in my top, and it will always be in my heart and remembered <3
Jun 21, 2012 6:28 PM

Feb 2012
The end, to be honest felt kind of rushed, I would have love for everything that happened expanded on a bit more. In the end, although it felt rushed, it didn't change the fact it ended well. Overall a great read.
Jun 21, 2012 6:30 PM

Jun 2008
I loved the ending. It wasn't sad as many might have expected. It ended with the "happily ever after" ending. Of course there was a couple twists, but in a good way. Now we have to wait for volume 10 with what happened within the time between Jun and Yuriki.

Jun 21, 2012 6:40 PM
Nov 2007
The ending was rushed so it was quite disappointing.

I also didn't like the rather silly conflict the author interjected just to give a "happy" ending. The conflict can probably fit had the manga ran longer, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Still, it was an ending I'm OK with.
Jun 21, 2012 9:10 PM
Apr 2011
Rushed by too fast.
Jun 22, 2012 2:10 AM

Sep 2010
I definitely agree with others, this last volume felt very rushed. Still a very satisfying and fulfilling ending of course, but I would've liked it if there was more light shed upon Sen's life during the time gap and whatnot.

Also, I'm not too sure whether Ricchan slept with another man or not. She did say that she didn't date him, but she also said it was a moment of weakness, which sort of implies that there was intimacy involved. Regardless, I don't think it is very important. They're all adults and are free to make their own decisions, and it would be silly to think any less of her because of it.

I can't wait for the spin-off, as I'd love to have more backstory on Jun and Yurika's relationship. Hopefully it'll include some extra details about the other characters as well.
Jun 22, 2012 5:11 AM

Aug 2009
Beautiful. I cried. I'm glad that it had a happy ending. I would be broken forever if it didn't. Sen being a priest is just too... *tears of joy* Forever remembering & loving Sen, Bon & Ricchan.

I want Seiji's story after grad on volume 10.
Jun 22, 2012 12:34 PM

Nov 2007
I was already used to this bittersweet feelings that I kind of didn't expect such a nice happy end to be honest. But I'm glad it ended this way. Even though, as many said, the end was indeed rushed hence it didn't convey the same feelings as the previous chapters, which were really emotional, but it was still a very good read.
Jun 22, 2012 1:41 PM

Jul 2011
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:

hmm, I'm thinking she simply felt guilt because of the appearance that she had given up on Kaoru and that she was moving on from him. Suffice it to say, it basically didn't cross my mind while I was reading that she had slept with him. Who knows, I might be wrong, but it really doesn't seem like she would go that far with someone else.

Ricchan didn't slept with him, I think she felt guilty not only because she let him in her room, but because of the stuff that guy said over the phone to Kaoru.
Jun 28, 2012 11:43 AM

Sep 2011
EdenBaggins said:
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:

Ricchan didn't slept with him, I think she felt guilty not only because she let him in her room, but because of the stuff that guy said over the phone to Kaoru.

A girl in her moment of weakness letting a guy who's head over heels for her in her room ; you're saying she didn't participate in bedroom acrobatics?

Read the final 3 chapters after finishing the beautiful anime. I can't say I like what I saw with Ritsuko's situation and all But it is still awesome. But this comes from a guy who didn't read the manga
alec613Jun 28, 2012 12:23 PM
LastExile_613.png
Jun 28, 2012 3:44 PM

Jan 2009
When is that spinoff chapter coming out? I'm really looking forward to it :P
Jun 30, 2012 3:25 AM

Jun 2009
I still can't believe that the one who was getting married was Sacchan D: Also Sen as a priest was the last thing I could imagine he'll be doing of with life sdfasdfa.

While inded it felt a little rushed, it was a wonderful read ♥
Jun 30, 2012 10:35 PM

Jan 2010
alec613 said:
EdenBaggins said:
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:

A girl in her moment of weakness letting a guy who's head over heels for her in her room ; you're saying she didn't participate in bedroom acrobatics?

Read the final 3 chapters after finishing the beautiful anime. I can't say I like what I saw with Ritsuko's situation and all But it is still awesome. But this comes from a guy who didn't read the manga

I absolutely agree, I believe that part was misinterpreted as well. Yes, she states that "In a moment of weakness, I allowed him in my room", but it doesn't state that she slept with him. You have to keep the time in which this story takes place in mind as well. You're talking about the 1960's and 1970's, a time in which it was considered I guess you could say "unethical" to sleep with someone you didn't love.

It's true that a moment of weakness can imply intimacy, but that doesn't always apply to every situation. While we may no know exactly what she met, it was clearly written that way because it wasn't particularly important in the author's eyes. If anything, it seems the author wrote it as if despite having a moment of weakness, in the end Ritsuko still loves Kaoru. That's how I viewed the ending of this series.

In all honesty, I think the guilt she felt wasn't about the guy being in her room, but what the guy said to Kaoru over the phone. Her moment of weakness was her loneliness, however she gave her phone number to Kaoru on the back of the post card. If she truly felt guilty about having done something with another man, why would she give Kaoru her phone number with the assumption that he would call her. Also, the other guy was the one who answered the phone and said those things to Kaoru, not Ritsuko. If her reason for not contacting Kaoru after that incident was her guilt, then we can assume that her guilt was that she allowed this guy to say those things to Kaoru.
HoWeChitJun 30, 2012 10:41 PM
Jul 1, 2012 3:01 PM

Jun 2008
Okay, this chapter and the preceding ones (41-45) were excellent. A lot of emotions came through. To bad the anime sucked it all out with cutting all what Koura went through in college and medical school.

Jul 10, 2012 5:08 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit. Volume 9 has a huge amount of content cut out in the anime. Although the ending in the anime was heartwarming, it could have benefitted with an extra episode or 2 to cover content that was skipped over in the anime. This was more like it. I really liked the chat with Kaoru and the dude in the car, it closed it really nicely.
Jul 23, 2012 6:28 PM

Jun 2012
I wish the anime followed the manga more. I definitely preferred the conclusion of the manga compared to the somewhat rushed ending in the anime.
Aug 8, 2012 4:27 PM

Oct 2009
I loved this! My heart stopped for a second when I read Ricchan instead of Sacchan on page 26). I have to thank mangaka for introducing jazz to me, I've never paid much attention to it before! Wonderful, warm story! Gonna miss them all!

Oh, and yeah, can't wait for the spin-off! =D
Aug 14, 2012 10:24 AM

Jul 2011
Loved it!
Aug 15, 2012 9:31 AM

Jul 2011
As I suspected manga was better than anime adaption.

I wonder when Volume 10 is coming out :o

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 28, 2012 2:03 AM

Jul 2012
Overall the ending was satisfying? But i was really disappointed in Ritsuko! How can she do that to Kaoru? I thought she was a respectable woman who really loves him?
Anyway other than the Ritsuko thingy the ending is quite good though it might be quite rushed. :)
May 10, 2013 9:26 AM

Jul 2011
gosh, that was incredible.
講廢話,被撞到.
Apr 27, 2014 11:48 PM

Jun 2011
alec613 said:
EdenBaggins said:
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:
Lelouch22 said:
nightjade said:

Yeah, pretty much. I read the last 3 chapters too after finishing the anime, and I didn't like Ritsuko's reply. I know it could be interpreted in both ways, but still.. I remember what happened to Yurika in her "moment of weakness", if Jun wasn't there, she might have done it with Sentaro right then. But eh, whatever, they got their happy ending, though it was quite rushed and a little forced actually.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 7, 2014 11:18 PM

May 2013
I'm sorry, I actually didn't like the ending. It was too rushed/forced.
Nov 3, 2014 3:20 AM

Oct 2013
beautiful finished. rounded nicely, not forced into a box of an ending but mo
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 6, 2014 12:20 PM

May 2012
Wow. I definitely think the manga is better than the anime! I don't get to say that a lot, but there it is. Sure, the anime has those dazzling music performances, but the manga is just so much better plotted and paced, even though the same basic things happen. I feel the anime rushed through so much in the latter part of the manga and skipped a lot of good stuff. You also get better insight into the characters since you get to hear (or rather read) some of their inner thoughts, impressions and motivations!

I did not like the rushed-as-hell ending for the anime, but I did love the ending for the manga. I thought it was perfect! Well, I would've liked to see Ricchan's reunion with Sen, but that's about it.

10/10

I've never cried and grinned so much reading a manga. It was just so damn relatable!
Now on to discover more jazz - Thanks, Kids on the Slope!!!
Dec 30, 2014 3:36 PM

Jul 2010
I checked out the manga after finishing the anime and ofc as most people I felt it was too rushed and didn't have much of a conclusion. I'm glad I read this AND the bonus/spinoff chapters because the fifth was amazing with Ritsuko pregnant with Kaoru's child and the band played for the unborn child, loved it.
May 8, 2015 6:32 PM

Oct 2013
Finished the adaption last week and thought it was a masterpiece myself but I felt there was still more left to the story.

I can definitely agree on the opinion that the ending is way more satisfying in the manga then in the adaption, though I must say that ending wasn't all too bad either it's just that the pacing here is basically perfect where in the adaption a lot of details like the experience of Kaoru being in the university, meeting Junichi and performing with him again and following his own dream in becoming a doctor in his village instead of inheriting the hospital are all left out which I think if the adaption included those scenes it would've had a much more satisfying ending.

After ending the adaption and starting the manga I can say that I didn't expect to enjoy the manga this much, especially the last volume which makes this manga a 10/10 as well.

Jul 27, 2015 8:31 AM

Dec 2011
The ending was really nice, but it felt so sudden... That these characters who haven't seen each other in a long time could reconcile so quickly... But it was a really nice, happy ending. And whatever this chapter lacked, the extra chapters more than made up for it.
Mar 12, 2016 4:10 AM

Jul 2012
Just as good as the Anime buuuuut felt a bit empty without music.

I wish this got licensed because I ended up deleting all the chapters from my device. The typesetting kind of sucks for various reasons. Sorry. Line height fucking bothered me.

Manga was less rushed than Anime but felt too long imho. Like, I spent over 3 months to complete this. But it was still great.

I want to rewatch the Anime in Japanese dub.

Anyway, gonna re-read Bonus Track now.
Jan 7, 2017 10:02 AM

Apr 2015
just watch the anime and lastly read the manga if there was an epiologe, it was!

one of the best manga ever!
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Nov 7, 2017 2:58 AM

Aug 2016
Diden't like the pacing and the direction it was going in the last few chapters, felt like all the buildup was for nothing and Kaoru basicly just went back to where he was alone and not really fitting somewhere. The end kinda solved it, but it could have used a few more chapters.

Overall i realy enjoyed this manga especially the 3 main characters.
Jun 12, 2021 3:36 AM

May 2020
That was a pretty satisfying ending. I didn't care for the drama between Ritsuko and Kaoru again. Felt forced and unnecessary.

Pretty good manga but I felt like the drama for a lot of this series was pretty forced. Enjoyed it for the most part. 6/10.
TitanInsaneJun 14, 2021 9:04 AM
May 18, 12:14 PM

Aug 2018
It felt pretty rushed, but it's a sweet ending nonetheless.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Chapter 5 Discussion

Dodecahedron-O24 - Apr 22, 2012

5 by BookBirdie »»
May 9, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Chapter 23 Discussion

Dr_Funkadelic - May 12, 2012

3 by aru4l »»
Feb 22, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Sakamichi no Apollon Chapter 1 Discussion

stickymochi - Dec 30, 2011

6 by Cherrysky »»
May 2, 2023 9:52 AM

» Sakamichi no Apollon - Official Fan Book not on mal

Sukhmonchan - Nov 5, 2021

0 by Sukhmonchan »»
Nov 5, 2021 10:33 AM

» Is the anime faithful to manga?

__t004 - Jun 24, 2021

2 by Krishvanza123456 »»
Sep 2, 2021 12:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.