Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Twilight Out of Focus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 7:58 AM

Dec 2021
With Giichi and Jin's story in Overlap now finished, we move onto the next couple in, The Evening Monologues.

Out-of-season new member Shion Yoshino is a first-year student who’s in love with the idea of love. He declares he joined the film club to find a boyfriend, but the former vice president, third-year Rei Inaba, tells him that he'll never get a boyfriend, leading to a heated clash between them. However, after Rei comforts a crying Shion, they suddenly start "dating"! But the joy is short-lived, as the highly trusted Rei in the film club turns out to be a total jerk.

The bar's been set high with Giichi and Jin. But then again, I can see Shion and Rei's being another banger.

Aug 22, 8:25 AM

Jul 2017
Going into the 2nd spin-off story of the manga: Volume 4, The Evening Monologues.

The exhilarated 1st Year newcomer that is Shion Yoshino wanting to find a boyfriend, Jin's rival clubmate of 3rd Year Rei Inaba advises him the other way when joining the Film Club, which is to be expected. But to be expected also, he wants a partner in the right circumstances, being one to join clubs and then leave thereafter because he's just too talented at what he does, though not fulfilling his sexual desires in any way. Bear in mind that this is after Jin and Giichi got together in the 2nd part of the story (Overlap), and even with his good friend of Kujo Kirito supporting him, he clearly desires his hate for Inaba because the jerk sells reality to him, but also surprises him with a kiss to calm him down, thereby wanting to try dating him.

The joy of Shion finding Inaba and not wanting to stay on in the Film Club, he wants to contribute something before leaving, and Mao shows him the way...though Shion is just being clearly stalker-ish pushy on his behaviour. Clearly, what is typical to Inaba is atyipcal to Shion, and the nature of the 3rd Years knowing Inaba all too well and advising him to quit before all hell breaks loose, he's just a rather forgetful person who doesn't care until people have to babysit him, and that's how he's treating the newfound relationship as such that it doesn't faze the 3rd Years, only on salvageable situations. Yet, Inaba holds his promise that he's a total playboy and a jerk, and Shion will challenge that perception of his till the very end.

A challenging couple, Shion will have to work doubly as hard to retain Inaba.
Aug 22, 9:06 AM
Aug 2024
Rei and Kirito would have been a better ship. Shame.
Aug 22, 9:19 AM
Sep 2015
Ooh this openly gay lead is me, or at least that's what I think. But the fact that this is gonna be the last couple makes me yearn for season 2, there are still many more single characters that I need to seem them falling in love with the same sex.
Aug 22, 12:56 PM
Jan 2024
Cant tell if i think shion is funny or i want an anvil to fall on his romance filled brain....
Aug 22, 1:20 PM

Dec 2015
Good lord, Shion is just the 'he's so insane for this' meme come to life XD

I kind of love Saito Soma voicing him, man's got insane range, so the way he acts all kawaii, twinky & vulnerable with his high-pitched voice, only to drop two octaves when Shion's determined or pissed or both... very effective ๐Ÿ‘I enjoy the gap moe of Shion being so unabashedly camp yet so effortlessly competent at 'masculine' sports.

I probably won't get my wish, but given that they gave Giichi and Hisashi a bit of focus in the preview, I'd love to see Shion continue to clock Ichikawa as a fellow bottom, maybe ask a bit more about his relationship ๐ŸคญIt would be so funny if he tried to hit on Hisashi, too, only to realize that the kind, quiet senpai who petted his hair and showed him the ropes of camerawork is the drama club stud's boyfriend ๐Ÿคญ

ใผใใŒใใฐใซใ„ใ‚‹ใ€‚

ใผใใฎ้ญ‚ใฏใ„ใคใ‚‚ๅ›ใจใจใ‚‚ใซใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€‚

๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ•Š๏ธ
Aug 22, 2:51 PM
Sep 2018
I love them like yoshino is so cute
Aug 22, 3:12 PM

Jan 2016
What a chad. My bet is still on the roommates being endgame, but this is pretty nice (because of senpai). This world is so homosexual friendly, which makes the first guy not wanting to be known to be gay surprising hahaha (though maybe because was being raped by penetrating that guy).
๏ปฟ
๏ปฟHonestly this main character has such nice hair and eyes, and even does his nails nice. He's also an All-Star being an MVP in every sport he tries. Senpai is really good, and kohai has issues with being far to obsessed.
๏ปฟ5/5, I had issues but was happily surprised on things.

Aug 22, 5:09 PM

Jun 2008
First scene: "this isn't your personal dating pond, we make cinema here, gtfo"
oh babe, you're so kakkoi, slap him back to reality
5 mins later: kiss kiss fall in love
๐Ÿ˜‘

Minna-san, meet shoujo-esque boyfriend hunter and his emo masked best mate. ๐Ÿ’–๐ŸŽธ

OKAY sooo for me pink equals issues and this Yoshino boy is a confirmation, starting off as highly shallow and irritating - I say this objectively as the most romantic and delusional star sign in existence, we're already past the tolerable limit. Yelling, whining, stalking, text bombing, judging/ranking others by their looks, joining clubs for the hell of it, lying to friends, planning to dump a guy when a better one comes up - yeah honey, wonder why nobody wants to date a walking red (sorry, pink) flag. And, obviously, he suffers from insomnia, likely a lack of love and was the target of homophobic remarks, otherwise there won't be any depth or sympathy w/ his character.

Rei lies somewhere between lazy smart based chad and hikikomori nerdy hottie. What's not to love and why would you change him? Let's see how will this improbable pair work it out.

watching, waiting, commiserating
Aug 22, 8:21 PM
Apr 2024
phantomfandom said:
Ooh this openly gay lead is me, or at least that's what I think. But the fact that this is gonna be the last couple makes me yearn for season 2, there are still many more single characters that I need to seem them falling in love with the same sex.

but the manga has only 3 couples so i don't think there will be another season
Aug 22, 9:35 PM
Feb 2023
I was really hoping for kirito to be rei's love interest I'm so disappointed t_t I don't like glasses guy
Aug 22, 11:04 PM

Aug 2023
Tbh I'm not really a fan of either of these guys individually, and I definitely don't like them as a couple. Hoping that something changes that makes me wanna like them but, this episode was the first one that was really hard to watch. I do really like the roommate though! Hope to see more of him in this story.
Aug 23, 4:55 AM
Oct 2022
This new couple is complicated. Inaba Rei does not seem the guy to be fit in a love relationship, because he does not care at all about his partner. He only found Yoshino-senpai interesting and kissed him just to stop him from crying. Lame reason, if you ask me!

But, there might be some potential. At least, Yoshino Shion loves Rei-senpai very much and he is his type, so if Rei-senpai started to feel the same and even thinking about personality changing, it would be amazing.
Aug 23, 9:14 AM

Dec 2020
whaaat that's one of the best episodes of BL i've ever seeeeen ๐Ÿ˜‚
Aug 23, 10:33 AM

Jan 2022
Lmaoooo the femboy doesn't care about film, he only cares about getting a boyfriend. Its the fact that Shion threw himself like that has caused everyone to avoid him lol Shion is actually annoying and this is literal torture.

I was also hoping for Kirito and Shion to date.
This never updates so that's cool
Aug 23, 4:07 PM
Mar 2022
mi pareja favooooooooooo
Aug 23, 6:03 PM
Jul 2013
This is the best couple so far I swear to god I’ve never laughed harder. Good luck Shion!!
Aug 23, 6:23 PM
May 2024
lmao they are so funny i love their dynamic, if nothing else they do have comedic chemistry lol! can't wait to see the romantic chemistry develop as well
Aug 23, 10:34 PM

Mar 2008
Okay this guy is kinda annoying but it was funny sometimes.
Aug 24, 8:18 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Shion and Rei are my least favorite of the series' three couples. Shin starts off so irritating, to the point that I want to smack him upside the head. But hey, gotta give his seiyuu props for a job well done.
Aug 25, 5:36 AM
Jul 2024
I find it a huge change of pace compared to the other stories. I love how he wants to change Rin. He's like a lost puppy! I look forward to the next episode.
Aug 25, 12:39 PM

Dec 2020
yall are wild shion is the best
Aug 25, 1:09 PM

Dec 2015
Reply to lordgaara
yall are wild shion is the best
@lordgaara He knows what he wants, and the way he sees everything through kink-tinted glasses sends me XD Admittedly, every single attempt at recruiting him to a club has sounded suggestive as hell, only bolstering his shoujo/BL manga expectations XD He is committed to the bit (and showing off in front of his friends), gotta give him that!

๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ•Š๏ธ
Aug 26, 8:22 AM

Dec 2020
im addin shion to my top characters boom
Aug 27, 12:32 PM

Oct 2019
Saito Soma you will ALWAYS be famous, Shion instantly became my favourite thanks to his performance lol. He's so good!!
Aug 27, 3:02 PM
May 2022
enjoyed the more humorous tone
Aug 27, 5:47 PM
Aug 2022
shion was hilarious and we stan
watching this felt like i didnt know we could have this and its so good (this whole anime is doing this tbh)
although the obviously better ship would be with the emo roommate
cant wait for more openly needy, manipulative, funny and kinky twinks in BL anime!
Aug 28, 7:16 AM

Nov 2022
'i can fix him' ahh episode
Aug 28, 10:58 AM

Dec 2015
Reply to joblob7
shion was hilarious and we stan
watching this felt like i didnt know we could have this and its so good (this whole anime is doing this tbh)
although the obviously better ship would be with the emo roommate
cant wait for more openly needy, manipulative, funny and kinky twinks in BL anime!
joblob7 said:
needy, manipulative, funny and kinky
and yet we're meant to think Rei's the problem X'D

๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ•Š๏ธ
Aug 29, 11:37 AM

Jun 2020
Wow both of the are nightmare to date
Sep 18, 1:36 AM
Nov 2021
Autism meets adhd lololol
Oct 8, 8:56 PM

Sep 2021
All good things go by three!

So far, Shion's personality all by itself is a big step up from the first two stories and brings some much needed comedy into the show. Rei also complements him very well.

Also, we need a full blown BL X Sports Anime at some point.

More topics from this board

» In another life time...

AnimeZ0id - Oct 17

3 by ExpiredH20 »»
Oct 20, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Tasogare Out Focus Episode 12 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Sep 19

38 by aedeann »»
Oct 14, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Tasogare Out Focus Episode 11 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Sep 12

20 by cooldogmom »»
Oct 5, 11:42 AM

» This will be my first BL anime what can I expect?

ishowcunny - Jun 11

26 by ishowcunny »»
Oct 4, 1:19 AM

» This anime is the reason Crunchyroll comments were removed ( 1 2 )

Buttanuggets - Jul 11

54 by Jollyne7 »»
Oct 2, 5:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.