Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2023 4:12 PM

Apr 2017
It's a question that's been on my mind for awhile. There used to be quite a few episodic anime (ex. Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc.), but are there any that are still being produced in this age of seasonals? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

What I'm defining here as "episodic" are shows with episodes that aren't necessarily filler but are often standalone subplots. So like Monster has a linear story to tell, but it also features side characters that are only really relevant for the episode they are apart of.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 1, 2023 2:22 AM
Mar 2020
Right now, the only one that comes to mind, without even thinking too much about it, is "Detective Conan".
However, doing a very quick mental recap, I think yes, they are quite part of the past.
But I think it's a natural adaptation of anime to what the audience wants to see.
I speak from personal opinion: I don't like watching standalone subplots episodes, even though there is the fulcrum of the main story...because I get lost, I lose interest and concentration on the story. I find it misleading and even excessive, if done wrong.
I like the secondary characters to be developed and interesting, but I want (and look for) them to intertwine with the protagonists.
Instead, often, the other characters disappear.
They make an appearance and, once the episode is over, they are forgotten.
Sep 1, 2023 10:57 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to Shirei-kan_Ellie
Right now, the only one that comes to mind, without even thinking too much about it, is "Detective Conan".
However, doing a very quick mental recap, I think yes, they are quite part of the past.
But I think it's a natural adaptation of anime to what the audience wants to see.
I speak from personal opinion: I don't like watching standalone subplots episodes, even though there is the fulcrum of the main story...because I get lost, I lose interest and concentration on the story. I find it misleading and even excessive, if done wrong.
I like the secondary characters to be developed and interesting, but I want (and look for) them to intertwine with the protagonists.
Instead, often, the other characters disappear.
They make an appearance and, once the episode is over, they are forgotten.
@Shirei-kan_Ellie

That makes sense. I too prefer focusing on the main story, but I don't mind subplots in a story if they hold some sort of relevance in the end (although at that point I suppose it wouldn't be considered episodic).

I think the only reason to like episodic episodes is if you enjoy the author's world-building (more than the plot) and want to see more of it, even if the protagonist is not involved. Something like Durarara! where there isn't really a single protag, just a collection of character narratives happening at once.

Thanks for replying :)
Sep 6, 2023 2:58 AM
Sep 2023
Reply to Cartier117
@Shirei-kan_Ellie

That makes sense. I too prefer focusing on the main story, but I don't mind subplots in a story if they hold some sort of relevance in the end (although at that point I suppose it wouldn't be considered episodic).

I think the only reason to like episodic episodes is if you enjoy the author's world-building (more than the plot) and want to see more of it, even if the protagonist is not involved. Something like Durarara! where there isn't really a single protag, just a collection of character narratives happening at once.

Thanks for replying :)
@Cartier117 Does Junji Ito Maniac count? It was quite decent according to me.
I would like to hear your opinion if such anime should be more mainstream nowadays or should they be a thing of the past.
Sep 6, 2023 2:47 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to amdsama12
@Cartier117 Does Junji Ito Maniac count? It was quite decent according to me.
I would like to hear your opinion if such anime should be more mainstream nowadays or should they be a thing of the past.
@amdsama12

I've never heard of Junji Ito Maniac. Is it like a collection of short stories or something similar? That's the vibe I get from searching its MAL page.

Personally speaking, I used to think that episodic anime were universally mid or worse because they never offered any lasting impact on me, however lately I've come across some that I would argue are well put together. Samurai Champloo is mainly the one that comes to mind: I find myself enjoying it even though the episodes aren't necessarily attached to one another.

So, I guess my answer to your prompt is that I wouldn't mind seeing more mainstream episodic anime for the sake of variety, however just because they are episodic doesn't automatically mean that I'll like them.
Sep 6, 2023 11:22 PM
Sep 2023
Reply to Cartier117
@amdsama12

I've never heard of Junji Ito Maniac. Is it like a collection of short stories or something similar? That's the vibe I get from searching its MAL page.

Personally speaking, I used to think that episodic anime were universally mid or worse because they never offered any lasting impact on me, however lately I've come across some that I would argue are well put together. Samurai Champloo is mainly the one that comes to mind: I find myself enjoying it even though the episodes aren't necessarily attached to one another.

So, I guess my answer to your prompt is that I wouldn't mind seeing more mainstream episodic anime for the sake of variety, however just because they are episodic doesn't automatically mean that I'll like them.
@Cartier117 Ahh I see. Yes it is a collection of the short stories of Junji Ito.
It is with this as it is with any other anime. Some are good, some are bad. And some are mid.
Make sure to watch at least an episode, and tell me if you like it.
Oct 2, 2023 6:31 AM

Mar 2021
AI no Idenshi (The Gene of AI) which aired this summer is episodic, and I really enjoyed it. Imo episodic anime work when the focus is on the setting more than the story. But future seasons then take a more plot-focused approach—Scissor Seven and Link Click, for example, and based on how it ended, AI no Idenshi would prob go that route too if it gets a second season. I like this structure actually, as you get a season or two of getting to know the characters and the world, and only after you really start caring about them are the stakes introduced and the story starts/progresses. ^^
Dec 15, 2023 11:40 AM
Apr 2023
Off the top of my head Goblin Slayer is episodic i think. in fact i think the only overarching narrative is the destruction of Goblins (and a little bit of other monster slaying by random side characters who are damn near background characters). As such it does and doesn't really have a continuous story.

i don't think they are a thing of the past but more likely no one has an interest in doing one right now. Kind of like how you'll see a lack of a certain genre for a while and then suddenly it'll hit a resurgence.
Jan 7, 10:49 PM
Jun 2022
I'm late to the discussion, but I have some thoughts, I'm not an expert, I just limit myself to enjoy this wonderful industry, but I think of two reasons for this.

1st may be the fact that making anime episodes are really expensive, I saw in some webs how much it cost for only one episode, and I saw numbers that round about the millions, and I may not be reasonable and profitable to make episodes all the time.

2nd can be connected with the first, and maybe it's just a change in the anime industry in general, like in video games that the template today is the battle pass, as it was in the past the loot boxes, maybe this industry is going to some sort of change, maybe they see more fitting or comfortable for the producers to make 12/24 episodes and then release maybe a second season when the time is right, i could be that in the end, we, the viewers settle for this model.

I apologize if my english is atrocious, it's not my native language :p
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Do you prefer to watch anime in one go or to watch new episodes every week?

nightwingming - Aug 6, 2023

12 by Netrom_Kun »»
Aug 17, 7:43 PM

» I new reccomendations

BigBottomHair - May 4

2 by Ohayotaku »»
May 5, 8:31 PM

» A good quiz

SOLDRAKE - Jan 16

0 by SOLDRAKE »»
Jan 16, 12:57 PM

» Hi :). I've seen my fare share of anime and i try to give them an honest rating. How do you rate your shows??

Netrom_Kun - Aug 13, 2023

10 by Netrom_Kun »»
Aug 31, 2023 3:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.