Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 30, 2022 12:26 PM
Mar 2019
I always thought Lupin was really popular??
What happened to make it nearly forgotten?
1500 watching is pretty poor, suppose people are watching something else theses days.
Dec 30, 2022 12:35 PM

Dec 2017
Lupin is as popular as Spooky Kitaro and Laughing Salesman. Meaning it's a legacy franchise. 
Dec 30, 2022 12:36 PM

Mar 2018
Lupin hasn't had mainstream appeal in decades. But it's also important to mention that this isn't a traditional tv anime and nor is it a regular Lupin series. This is more of a spin off for the franchise and is only available online, not broadcasted on TV. Lupin the Third part 6 aired this year as well and did relatively well.
Dec 30, 2022 1:10 PM

May 2018
Because Lupin hasn't been too popular in west in general. Iirc, in Japan it's much more popular and loved.
However, the whole franchise remains somewhat a detached gem cluster which the minority of connoisseurs is still aware of and still appreciates, also giving their love to deserving new titles as well. 
Dec 30, 2022 5:32 PM
Mar 2020
Lupin iii isn’t really popular in USA. It is quite popular in some European countries though, but then again, most of the ppl on here are probably from the countries that Lupin iii is nothing more than a niche anime.

Still gonna watch it even if no one else does though. I absolutely love this franchise.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 1, 2023 10:19 AM

Dec 2021
In Italy it's one of the most popular anime franchise there is but even here this spin-off hasn't been particularly talked about
Jan 1, 2023 11:10 AM

Sep 2013
Such a shame it isn't popular in the west, being mostly episodic you could start from any of the new seasons like i did and its such a good entertainment most of the time.
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 1, 2023 2:21 PM

Sep 2018
MeVike said:
Lupin iii isn’t really popular in USA. It is quite popular in some European countries though, but then again, most of the ppl on here are probably from the countries that Lupin iii is nothing more than a niche anime.

Still gonna watch it even if no one else does though. I absolutely love this franchise.

It did have some popularity in the US in the 2000s when adult swim was first running it and adult swilm it's self was gaining traction due to Cowboy Bebop, Family Guy, and Futurama.
KristiwazhereJan 1, 2023 2:26 PM
Jan 1, 2023 2:34 PM
Mar 2020
Kristiwazhere said:
MeVike said:

It did have some popularity in the US in the 2000s when adult swim was first running it and adult swilm it's self was gaining traction due to Cowboy Bebop, Family Guy, and Futurama.

Lupin iii and detective Conan were really similar in how they were both kinda popular in early 2000s in the US and nowadays they’re basically forgotten.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

Jan 1, 2023 2:56 PM

Sep 2018
MeVike said:
Kristiwazhere said:

Lupin iii and detective Conan were really similar in how they were both kinda popular in early 2000s in the US and nowadays they’re basically forgotten.

I didn't think that Detective Conan was that popular back then, I thought it became more popular in the 2010s when crunchyroll put it on their site.
Jan 1, 2023 2:59 PM
Mar 2020
Kristiwazhere said:
MeVike said:

I didn't think that Detective Conan was that popular back then, I thought it became more popular in the 2010s when crunchyroll put it on their site.

Well I can’t be sure since I’m not from the US, but my friend who is from there said he and many of his friends grew up with detective Conan which aried on adult swim, the funny part about it though is that it was discontinued due to low ratings.

Jan 4, 2023 10:54 AM
Jan 2018
Lupin and Case Closed were popular here for a bit. But a lot of people grew out of anime and unfortunately most anime from the adult swim and midnight run era are long forgotten in the USA. I dropped Detective Conan as well, but Magic Kaito 1412 is a show you GOTTA watch if you a fan of Lupin.
MeVike said:

Well I can’t be sure since I’m not from the US, but my friend who is from there said he and many of his friends grew up with detective Conan which aried on adult swim, the funny part about it though is that it was discontinued due to low ratings.
Lupin and Case Closed were popular here for a bit. But a lot of people grew out of anime and unfortunately most anime from the adult swim and midnight run era are long forgotten in the USA. I dropped Detective Conan as well, but Magic Kaito 1412 is a show you GOTTA watch if you a fan of Lupin.
Jan 4, 2023 12:22 PM
May 2015
Maybe if it was more than 6 episodes and not a mini-series it has a better chance with viewers.

But to be fair, it's not considered strong canon - I doubt Lupin and Jigen knew each other as kids, and I really don't expect to see Fujiko, Goemon or Zenigata appear. So maybe if it can only be 6 episodes, and doesn't try for any further, than that's okay. 

Jan 4, 2023 3:14 PM
Mar 2020
MFDOOMED said:
MeVike said:

I’ve watched all of Kaito Kid. It’s really good but really not that much compared to detective Conan imo.

Jan 5, 2023 6:37 PM
Jan 2018
MeVike said:
MFDOOMED said:

I’ve watched all of Kaito Kid. It’s really good but really not that much compared to detective Conan imo.
Fair enough. It's weird watching a story that will never end like Conan IMO. It's easier to watch Lupin because we get a bow to his story. It may be ignorant of me, but I can't see Conan ever stopping his detective work, even after he goes back to normal. So the idea he has to go through all this stuff cuz his author doesn't know what to do next is sad. FWIW, at least Conan doesn't get the Drifters and Black Lagoon treatment. Or Magic Kaito.

MeVike
MFDOOMED said:
MeVike said:

Fair enough. It's weird watching a story that will never end like Conan IMO. It's easier to watch Lupin because we get a bow to his story. It may be ignorant of me, but I can't see Conan ever stopping his detective work, even after he goes back to normal. So the idea he has to go through all this stuff cuz his author doesn't know what to do next is sad. FWIW, at least Conan doesn't get the Drifters and Black Lagoon treatment. Or Magic Kaito.
Jan 6, 2023 4:43 AM
Mar 2020
MFDOOMED said:
MeVike said:

MeVike
MFDOOMED said:

Ehh, it’s pretty much guaranteed that DC will end when Conan beats BO and gets his body back. The thing is, when’s that going to happen?

Kaito Kid on the other hand does have a plot, yet it never really progresses it and turns into villain of the week type of anime. And there’s also the preference part. Do you like a mystery anime like DC more or the target of the week type anime like Kaito Kid?

Lupin on the other hand is pretty straightforward. It’s a target of the week gag anime with some hints of character drama here and there. You up for it? I sure am.

Drifters and Black Lagoon man... so much potential being wasted there. BL specifically is one of my fav anime (alongside DC and Lupin)

Jan 6, 2023 10:19 PM

Dec 2017
I totally agree with @MeVike on the case of Drifters and Black Lagoon...

Problem is both Kouta Hirano and Rei Hiroe can't be assed to finish their respective works and the way things are going I doubt they ever will (Black Lagoon is so old that when it came out the 1995 setting of the series had happened 6 years earlier... now it's been 28 years) and Drifters is still in Vol. 6 after a decade of serialization. 

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 6 Discussion

ropiel - Jan 13, 2023

21 by Brunilde »»
Oct 5, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 5 Discussion

link2601 - Jan 6, 2023

16 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 1, 5:18 PM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 3 Discussion

link2601 - Dec 23, 2022

18 by Brunilde »»
Oct 1, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 2 Discussion

link2601 - Dec 16, 2022

14 by Swiggy »»
Apr 14, 2023 4:57 AM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 1 Discussion

Ranxomare - Dec 17, 2022

19 by Swiggy »»
Apr 14, 2023 4:30 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.