Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2021 8:25 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After a lengthy proposal, Yuni manages to convince Kimichika and get things in order ASAP within the Seiin High School Volleyball team. Practice as much as you can? That's as hell ludicrious for even a seasonal break.

The volleyball tournament has come (that's insanely fast for a 12-episode series), and the Seiin team going through the seams in quick succession. But for Yuni, his vulnerability under pressure is his Achilies' Heel, and asking him to hold different postiions (other than being Striker)...that's quote the contrast, whereas Kimichika could easily foresee things in order and adapt to the changes, as how a veteran player would be.

The first loss (that came with immense baggages), and already that underwhelming by playing a one-man show. What is truly going on Yuni's mind, the essence grows fonder to his retraction and Kimichika's reaction to his failure, as if he's a different beast altogether.

You can try as hard as you can, but there's a limit before you eventually break.
KANLen09Jan 16, 2021 4:39 AM
Jan 14, 2021 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
ooh second episode is here and wow, didnt expect the tournament to come so soon. seems like yuni is kinda down, wonder how they'll reconcile.
Jan 14, 2021 10:44 AM
Sep 2015
I actually confused about timing for a bit, but look like this is junior high level.

Then I read MAL Synopsis and understand what's going on, but at the same time MAL Synopsis is very spoiling, like you could get the content of the first 3 episodes just from reading that, could someone delete that?
Jan 14, 2021 11:06 AM

May 2020
Well everything seems kind of fasted forward and surprise, surprise Haijima is turning more into a pain...
Jan 14, 2021 11:07 AM

Dec 2020
I get it now. I thought it was weird the tournament came very fast. It it because they are still in middle school.
Jan 14, 2021 11:09 AM

Apr 2019
This anime has a pretty unique dialect.

Didn't expect a tournament so early, and it ended already. 3rd place is pretty good for a 1v5 game. Main characters are just kageyama and hinata. They're going to have to fix their team relations. Also how has haijima never been nervous? Is that some kind of superpower?

Jan 14, 2021 11:19 AM

Jul 2017
The whole directing and composition of this show just feels so disconnected for some reason. Everything about it from the story, to the characters, to the actual matches themselves and the rushed pacing early on, although it could just be that prequel arc being compact to a few episodes. The visuals look good at times in game but stiff at times too. It's about the same as I feel for the first episode but not a big fan of the drama involved at all so far. At least the OP song still bangs hard, probably my favorite OP song I've heard this season and the best one since the No Guns Life 2nd season OP song.
Jan 14, 2021 11:24 AM

Jul 2017
wow all it took was 1 ep for me to completely change my opinion on good ol'Yuni

what a dick

bruh I get the whole inferiority complex, but who tf shit talks the dude who literally carried the game and is the only reason the team won. I'd too be pissed if I was Haijima, having that domekano ass lookalike flopping around and not being able to do jack shit and then start talking smack it's no wonder Haijima is depressed af when all his teammates all talk but no action goddamnnn

pacing wise it's understandable if the HS part is meant to be the main story and this is more of a prologue type of deal. Animation during the match I have to say, it has the cleanness but doesn't have that impactful focus a lot of the time. Though this wasn't really a properly important match so maybe that could change
Jan 14, 2021 11:43 AM
Jan 2021
This episode just didn't hit the same way that the first episode hit. It feels poorly paced, or maybe that's just how it originally was paced in the novel Everything is just moving fast, and 2 episodes really isn't enough time to get me emotionally invested into these characters. But, I sincerely hope that the show gets better in the future though, and I still look forward to future episodes.
Jan 14, 2021 12:09 PM

Jun 2019
Holy shit that was fast paced. They blazed through months of training and games in one episode, so none of it has any impact. Yuni is a quitter when the going gets tough, so I have very little sympathy for him when he cries that he wants to keep playing volleyball.
Jan 14, 2021 12:20 PM

Jan 2020
I think the first episode was better than this one, mainly because of how rushed it felt. I don't dislike it or anything, but it didn't give us the chance to feel or connect with Yuni's emotions or understand how Haijima was trying to save the game.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jan 14, 2021 12:39 PM

Feb 2019
How to be an unlikable character in two easy steps: become overconfident after one good game and then get jealous of the team's ace that covered for your nervous wreck ass. At least it leaves a lot of room for a good character arc? Not that it matters a lot when a character boiling point comes two minutes afterwards.
Jan 14, 2021 12:53 PM

Mar 2020
This episode seemed a bit rushed. Guess that's what happens when you try to make a volleyball show in 12 episodes. Well first tournament is going to be over in a flash unless Seiin preforms a miracle.

Like how they added a psychological element to display Yuni's thoughts during the second game.

Think the show will focus more on friendship and bonds rather than volleyball itself. Volleyball is going to be the cause of future events that will effect the teams well being and friendships that seems non-existent at the moment.
Jan 14, 2021 1:08 PM

May 2019
I was thinking "wtf the pacing's insane" but then at the very end I've realised they're still in middle school and it was only a prologue arc. The real stuff begins in high school.

Yuni was being a big fool for running away from the match and talking shit about Haijima behind his back.

Meanwhile Haijima probably lost all his faith in humanity after even his childhood friend did him dirty like that.

Now onto high school.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jan 14, 2021 1:09 PM

Jan 2011
this anime actually 10x better than Haikyuu!!

- no wasting time for repeat comedic
- no full season just for training arc
- straight to the idea
also I like the fact they focus on character development rather than stupid support tricks and supper moves

if all support anime like this would be cool
Jan 14, 2021 1:26 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
Well this is incredibly fast paced but like other people mentioned this is the middle school prologue. That probably explains why nobody from the OP has shown up or have names aside from Haijima and Kuroba.

I'm actually really enjoying this so far. I haven't watched Haikyuu so I can't compare it but tbh making a comparison just because they're both about volleyball seems a bit weird to me. Either way I'm hyped for the next episode.
Jan 14, 2021 1:40 PM

Jan 2010
caught up with this anime. I agree the pacing was way too fast, but maybe they are trying to adapt the entire LN series.

I'm fine with the anime going full-angst and focusing more on the relationships of the characters rather than the sport itself, as long as it has a satisfying payoff. I just hope it doesn't go too over the top with the melodrama, as what happened with Stars Align that went overboard with the abusive parents and etc.

Otherwise I'll keep watching it for now. There's so many other sports anime out this season, but that SK8 Infinity anime seems to be the only decent one so far, so I'm hoping 2.43 will be good. The Skate Leading Stars anime is making me wanna drop it, it's painfully mediocre so far. Haven't started watching that surfing anime either.
Jan 14, 2021 2:00 PM

Nov 2017
ngl the pacing in this episode was pretty awful
so much happened that it felt like nothing happened
"Leonardo... it wasn't, by any means, only your eyes that we welcomed into Libra."
- Klaus von Reinherz
Jan 14, 2021 2:07 PM

Apr 2009
Pacing was awful as already said. What the hell is up with the blushing this episode? He blushes when he's embarrassed OK... but also when he's annoyed, mad, angry, sad, when his cousin gets angry at him and when he rides the truck with the other cousin. What?

Jan 14, 2021 2:12 PM

Jun 2020
The MAL synopsis had me extremely confused. As a member of MAL Rewrite I am going to check if someone has claimed this show yet, and if not, rewrite it myself lol.

After figuring out they're still in middle school, and these first 2 episodes are more like backstory, it doesn't feel as rushed as I thought it to be. Good episode. Personally, I enjoy sports anime that deal with the drama and relationships more than the sport (and it's godly when they combine both the sport and the relationships of the characters together, like Ookiku Furikabutte did, which is an amazing show).

Anyways, excited for the next episode. Guessing it will be the time skip of when they meet again in high school?
Jan 14, 2021 2:49 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I really enjoyed this episode, just like the first! There's actually much less drama than I had expected (thank goodness it didn't go down the Battery or Dive!! route...yet), and I liked the way Yuni decided for himself what to do after the confrontation with Yori. Ideally, that's what he wanted to do, to judge Haijima for himself (positively), but he ended up not being able to do so due to being frustrated at his own bad performance and inferiority complex. Childish, yes, and they are in fact children, only 14-15 years old. I've been spiteful like that when I was younger, and like Yuni, been incredibly embarrassed at myself for acting like that due to inferiority complex. It's not fun to watch a character acting this way, but it's definitely realistic, and for some, relatable. It's nice that the drama parts don't seem to drag out. Yuni was given a good wake up call at the end of the episode. (Yori not being hung up on not being able to hang out with Yuni was nice, too. Guess he's not too dumb about these things, either, even if he was mean at the end of last episode.)

That being said, Yuni did go a bit overboard, as volleyball is a team sport, and even if he didn't feel like going to match, he should've called to say that he won't be going (make up an excuse) or let them know that he'd be late. It's always worrisome when someone doesn't show up to an event. I feel a bit for Haijima. Imagine the thoughts that ran through his head when Yuni didn't arrive and then a teammate wondered out loud if Yuni got into an accident :(

Of course it might've been better if they all just talked it out after the first day's match, but I think communication between people is always something you keep learning, especially at a younger age. Hopefully this means that in the future, they will be able to fight verbally and make up, instead of having to be this drastic and make things worse by not talking.

As for the pacing, I think it works. The title even has their high school name (Seiin), and not their current middle school one (Monshiro). The author wanted to focus on a pair who knew each other before high school, so I don't think it's necessary to fill up the training parts. But I mean, if it feels fast-paced to many others, then it just does :'D I'm glad I'm really enjoying this so far, though ^^
tingyJan 14, 2021 3:56 PM
Jan 14, 2021 3:08 PM
Jan 2018
The timing is so weird, we don't get to see the training, to empathize with the characters, we don't even know the names of the main 6 player like...there are so many things missing. How can be shock with Kuroba being nervous if there is not much volleyball scenes. The tournament was so fast! and Kuroba didn't hesitate on talking shit about Kimichika behind his back but like in the beginning of the episode they were not having communication issues...like where did that go?

Im still going to watch but, hopefully we can see more training scenes so we can connect with their efforts and feelings in the matches.
Jan 14, 2021 3:08 PM

Mar 2016
i didn't enjoy this episode very much.

i do want to see the story progression, so i'll continue for now.

Jan 14, 2021 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
Just me, but this whole series in general feels way to rushed. It’s a little too overdramatic for me and I see a bunch of force BL, it’s not really my cup of tea. I don’t know whether or not I’m going to keep watching, but I think I’ll try to give it 1 or 2 more episodes to see where it goes.
Jan 14, 2021 4:00 PM

Oct 2009
Perhaps 14 or even a two-cour 24 episodes would have been better if the story's gonna be like this? Going from January to March and April and straight to the end of July in one single episode, jumping over so many things in order to just move the story forward... It does have a sense of rushedness to it, but at the same it all feels weightless, because the drama and the emotions get no time or place to fully bloom and settle. So like... They are where they are, and it's hard for us to be invested because couldn't even digest one thing by the time they've already moved - not even to the next, but the one after the next. It's weird and it feels even weirder after the rather decent "table setting" the first episode managed to do.

Having said that, I still love the settings and scenery. The houses, stations, stadiums, inside and out, generic as all hell perhaps, but the fact the anime actually bothers to have those cuts at all does help placing ourselves into the scenes.
Jan 14, 2021 4:21 PM

Dec 2020
The dialect/accent is quite unique...
Jan 14, 2021 4:53 PM

Aug 2020
Wow that was something?
I don't think I've ever been this disappointed by an episode of almost any anime I've seen..
The pacing was just awful and everything about it just felt so forced. I have hopes the future episodes are better played out because this was just disappointing.

Jan 14, 2021 5:03 PM

Nov 2016
If it's just for the prologue, then I will be able to overlook the pacing. So let's see how it turns out.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 14, 2021 5:06 PM

Dec 2014
I liked it, good episode. Was surprised the tournament came on so fast, we didn't even get a nice training montage. :(
I suppose it makes sense that this is the middle school prologue and why we don't know anyone in the rest of the team apart from Haijima and Yuni.

I was glad Yuni didn't listen to his cousin and decided to see for himself what Haijima was like, the first game was pretty nice to watch too.

Sadly Yuni just fell apart in the second game, everyone has off games, Haijima did his best to cover for you and carry the game but I was surprised that Yuni basically decided that Haijima was a prick who didn't need the team and talked shit about him behind his back. I kinda didn't expect that from him after he said he'd believe in Haijima and decide for himself, he even ran away from the game because he didn't want to face Haijima. That was a pretty low move from him. Sure Haijima is not the smartest when it comes to being socially amicable, he could've cheered the team up after that game or said something but he did his best to carry them and hope that Yuni would get his game back but unfortunate. :(

Curious to see how high school will play out.
Jan 14, 2021 5:27 PM

Jul 2012
I feel like everyone is expecting too much from this anime....

Anyway, this seems like a prologue and soon enough we'll have the actual plot starting once they begin High School. Despite the fast pace it's simply giving us insight on how the conflict begun and will eventually be tackled on later. I'm curious to see how they'll do things though.

On another note, Yuni... im disappointed
-miraiiJan 14, 2021 6:48 PM
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Jan 14, 2021 6:37 PM
Oct 2020
I can't help but agree with everyone else in the discussion pod--this episode had major pacing issues. In the span of five-or-so minutes, we've gone from an emotional scene between Kuroba and Haijima to the Juniour High Championships... And the matches themselves seemed rushed as well. I don't know if this was just the anime trying to cram the story into twelve episodes or if this is the source material's mess, but I'm not happy with how this episode turned out.

Also, Kuroba pisses me off more than anything now. Why would you talk bad about your childhood friend/teammate when they carried your anxious tooshie through the game? I hope he gets some sort of redemption, but until then, I can't see myself ever enjoying his character.

I really hope the story gets better somehow. I want to love this series, but if things don't change pretty quickly, I'll be dropping it.
Jan 14, 2021 7:49 PM
Mar 2018
Very interesting second episode, setting up the problems between Kuroba and Haijima. Kind of expected them to quicken this episode because of the different uniforms and unnamed teammates.

Jan 14, 2021 9:01 PM
Jul 2020
dark-chaos said:

- straight to the idea
also I like the fact they focus on character development rather than stupid support tricks and supper moves

you were joking right... the audacity
Jan 14, 2021 9:33 PM

Dec 2015
Ew! too much blushing, also the personalities of the two main characters are disgusting.

Dropped 2/10
Jan 14, 2021 9:36 PM

Oct 2017
Your typical drama of a newly built team which wasn't executed well enough due to how rushed this episode was. Also I seriously can't get used to Yuni's blushing, dude's cheek is red af 80% of the time.
Jan 14, 2021 9:43 PM

Oct 2008
yea Haijima is strong for sure but his way of doing things is not healthy for the teams' well-being...
4/5.

Jan 14, 2021 10:16 PM

Apr 2014
I like this ep, gotta say this ep feels more like rl, when sometimes youre hyped about something and then reality hits you in the face. When the game is going great and you feels that youre making mistakes, and its all in your head and youre ended up making more mistakes.

and also I stopped counting how many times yuni blushes at some point lol
Jan 14, 2021 10:17 PM

Jan 2011
winshenv said:
dark-chaos said:

- straight to the idea

no I am not joking...
Jan 14, 2021 10:57 PM
Oct 2020
dark-chaos said:
winshenv said:

no I am not joking...

Uhmm, please don't use BETTER... It's just your preference... You prefer straightforward ideas and straightforward events...

Also Haikyuu has many character developments... There are also a lot of unique personalities... And the opposing teams are interesting. Plus they provide top-notch concepts on matches... The little details in real-life volleyball are on Haikyuu too...

What's with the stupid tricks you talking about? It's anime, and haikyuu is the type to blend reality and experiment those... Of course there will be some type of impossible tricks but those oroginated from real volleyball plays, just a level higher.

Haikyuu isn't as straightforward as you may think but... in almost all episodes of haikyuu, the focus on a concept is very well executed and rich... At least that's for me.

I'm glad you weren't joking at all. (Damn me)
Jan 14, 2021 11:56 PM

Sep 2019
Yuni decided to not play in that game, which made them lose it. Yuni is annoying and why the fuck is he blushing at everything?
Jan 15, 2021 12:05 AM

Nov 2010
Well, I gave this show a shot, but this episode did it for me.
We already saw last episode that Yuni is basically a blank yes man, with zero conviction for anything and no brain to think, but this week he took it to 11. Sure there will be character development and he will become a respectable character, but nothing will save what this episode did for the character.

A blank slate nothingness of a character can obviously become anything, that is just lazy writing and no human is that full of nothingness. It feels like Yuni had zero own thoughts in his life till that point.

Writing like that only deserves a drop from me.
Jan 15, 2021 1:18 AM

Sep 2013
Good episode

Why is this scored so low?
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 15, 2021 2:36 AM
Oct 2020
I guess people don't like fast pace anime? I for one am enjoying the story. I dislike anime that drag which becomes a chore to watch. I don't have a lot of time to waste on filler. Give me the drama haha

Also I wish this anime wasn't being compared to Haikyuu, an anime with multiple seasons. I've read the manga for Haikyuu and it's ok. Let 2.43 be it's own story. I'm cheering for Yuni and Chika to get better because damn middle school drama sucks lol.

For now Chika is my favorite :D
mintOrange95Jan 15, 2021 2:42 AM
Jan 15, 2021 3:34 AM
Apr 2020
I have honestly not held an intense dislike for a main character in so long. kuro is a bitch ass pussy who runs and hides and shit talks his own mate after a hypocritical spiel about judging haijima himself.
Jan 15, 2021 3:35 AM

Jun 2019
Looks like Yuni and Haijima aren't going along well. There seems to be a lot of problems going on between them. Because of Yuni not being there in the match, the team lost in the semifinals.
Idk about this pacing, man. It's too frequent for me. Well, that's just my opinion.
Jan 15, 2021 5:31 AM
Jan 2017
Did my boi just say "this is 10 times better than Haikyuu"?? lmao

I mean I don't really like comparing anime and also understand that people have different opinions about stuff (which is absolutely fine btw) but that statement is nothing short of a monstrosity in itself😂
Jan 15, 2021 5:46 AM

Jan 2011
Wei-kun said:
dark-chaos said:

no I am not joking...

Uhmm, please don't use BETTER... It's just your preference... You prefer straightforward ideas and straightforward events...

Also Haikyuu has many character developments... There are also a lot of unique personalities... And the opposing teams are interesting. Plus they provide top-notch concepts on matches... The little details in real-life volleyball are on Haikyuu too...

What's with the stupid tricks you talking about? It's anime, and haikyuu is the type to blend reality and experiment those... Of course there will be some type of impossible tricks but those oroginated from real volleyball plays, just a level higher.

Haikyuu isn't as straightforward as you may think but... in almost all episodes of haikyuu, the focus on a concept is very well executed and rich... At least that's for me.

I'm glad you weren't joking at all. (Damn me)

actually, I am not here to discuss my opinion, I just said my opinion and I don't force anyone to accept it, so I am free to say what I like

as I said I am not here to enter a discussion about which better and why I just said my opinion, and I don't care too much if you hate it or like it

people got a different taste, no point in discussing which better
Jan 15, 2021 6:58 AM

Oct 2016
Well that was fast, a whole tournament in a single episode. Though if it's just the prologue then, I guess it's understandable.

Damn, they really talked trash about the one that carried their asses. If Haijima was openly arrogant about it, it's understandable but he was just doing his best for the team like damn, boy is trying to change slowly but surely. Hopefully this is a lesson for Yuni.
Jan 15, 2021 7:55 AM
Sep 2018
phantomfandom said:
I actually confused about timing for a bit, but look like this is junior high level.

Then I read MAL Synopsis and understand what's going on, but at the same time MAL Synopsis is very spoiling, like you could get the content of the first 3 episodes just from reading that, could someone delete that?

I never read... just watch pv for upcoming new anime.

Though it seems like both of them will join in same middle school in future...
Join the Last Parade for your anime Salvation
Jan 15, 2021 8:32 AM
ギャンブルビイ

Sep 2018
During this episode I noticed that almost every character has a similar flow in their speech that goES KInd of liKE THiiis. I wonder if it's supposed to give the viewer a feeling of a regional dialect? It bothers me quite a bit now that I've noted it...

The pacing is ridiculous. This show is technically a nice try to write a drama-heavy sports anime, but it's just executed so poorly it mainly makes me laugh. Yuni's emotional turmoil was somewhat relatable, but also hard to connect with because his character is written so sleazily. Most of the other guys in the club are useless background characters, the only real persona in the team right now is Kimichika. I honestly can't grasp where this show is trying to go, at this point I'm just waiting for the other cover art guys to appear.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

39 by Diamond_Sel »»
Aug 27, 5:09 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2021

39 by Diamond_Sel »»
Aug 24, 3:13 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

157 by Diamond_Sel »»
Aug 11, 12:52 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2021

64 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 12:15 PM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2021

43 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.