Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2018 1:21 PM

Aug 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another festival, another Madhouse movie. This time it's the theatrical version of the tv show from spring season called Okko's Inn. The beginning made me think it would get alot of drama but nope. Okko was strong-minded throughout the movie and kept her head up, even when she knew how the accident happened. While working at the inn she met 3 of my favorite characters, the two ghosts Uribou & Miyo and the devil Suzuki. With their shenanigans they made this movie more enjoyable to watch.

7/10
Oct 8, 2018 2:43 AM
Dec 2016
This film is another hidden gem.
It already trended in Japanese anime community and critically well-received. It is not just a good juvenile but a great depiction of death/rebirth, healing, and maybe a religious perspective. Definitely worth-watching.
Jan 24, 2019 8:37 PM

Dec 2012
e_hoba said:
This film is another hidden gem.
It already trended in Japanese anime community and critically well-received. It is not just a good juvenile but a great depiction of death/rebirth, healing, and maybe a religious perspective. Definitely worth-watching.

it won best movie of some random award wtf

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Feb 5, 2019 5:30 AM

Jun 2015
BD release: 29th of March =)
Apr 21, 2019 2:18 PM

May 2007
chapida said:
wow, Matsuki reads Homo Deus 😲

Maybe she'd have more fun reading something by an anthropologist like David Graeber instead. Or by one of the many economists who're not oversold on tech development. Guy Standing is neat!

Not trying to dismiss Harari too much but yeah. :D

edit: fixed link
AyayaIsKawaiiApr 21, 2019 2:26 PM
Apr 22, 2019 8:34 PM

Mar 2018
This movie is so underrated. I wasn't expecting much going in, but ended up getting blown away. 9/10
Apr 23, 2019 5:43 PM

May 2014
I thought it was really quite good.
"My name is John Locke, and I'm responsible
for the well being of this Island"
Apr 23, 2019 9:35 PM
Apr 2019
I enjoyed the movie. But man, was my theater dead silent after the credit lol.

This was a very touching film, but the end was just bittersweet :T

I am used to the anime version of this, which was more of an uplifting, lighthearted, and happier show. Okko didn't lose anything but had much more to gain.

Movie version delved more into the idea of a person growing up and moving on. Here, Okko lost many things, but grew up.

I liked the ending, but this was not the ending I wanted haha

I'd prefer anime version because it's just bright and happy, but this was definitely a treat and will remain with deeper impact in my heart.
Jun 27, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2016
This was much more feel heavy than the TV series was, my God. The part with the driver who was responsible for the car accident got me, like i was not expecting something like that at all in this. And this movie made me like the fortune teller girl even more, such a great person.

7/10.
Jul 3, 2019 2:38 AM

Jul 2013
I think the director of this movie really showed how great he was. It is rare that anime gets directing as good as it was here. He made the comedy not annoying. The sad moments were not overdone. The animation was excellent. I hope this really gets more attention at some point.
Jul 8, 2019 3:17 PM

Jul 2010
Oh yeah. This was SO MUCH better than the series by a long shot. I liked the TV show, but it was rather generic, had subplots that dragged it down, and played things too safe. This movie pretty much fixes every single flaw the TV show had and then some! I'm so glad I saw this! This is what the show should have been like!
Jul 12, 2019 5:13 AM

Dec 2011
Why is this movie anime not very popular.I love it and it feels like a Miyazaki movie...
Jul 24, 2019 12:53 PM
Mar 2015
Nice way of showing how She accepted her parent's deaths and moved on
Jul 25, 2019 2:39 PM

Jun 2015
It was worth the anticipation, lovely movie.
Jul 25, 2019 4:33 PM

Jan 2016
Okay WTF that was amazing! I just decided to watch it on a whim as I saw it when sorting by new!

Okko is a gem of a character and the whole movie is a gem! Uribou and Miyou along with the demon are adorable. The town this was set in seemed so chill and cozy which was only complimented by simple yet beautiful visuals.

But I did not expect to choke up near the end of the movie with the way Okko resolved her parent's death. First, when I heard that he was the driver and Okko started crying I was close to crying and then again when she told him and his family to stay. One of the most beautiful and genuine scenes I've seen in the medium as a whole.

I'm unsure if I should give this an 8 or 9 but I'll give it an 8 because some things were left a bit unexplored. Like why the ghosts stay on earth and why it was decided that they would move on, on the day of the festival. Also, Matsuki was nice for a couple of minutes of the film but she was still very rude toward Okko during the whole film so I couldn't sympathize with her.

Suriyo was an amazing friend!

8/10 but as close as you can get to a 9/10
Jul 26, 2019 11:41 AM

May 2016
You know I think Uribou is going to be Okko son and Miyo is going to be Matsuki daughter ^^
I like to post in manga forum when I feel it is worth it, so people think. "Shit, is her again" or something.

People asked me where I read certain thing but the rules say no telling where did you read so maybe I am too boring for not saying? Or salty because you didn't check my profile that says don't ask because I hate people to ghost me after that. I love learning languages so maybe I did not read the manga in English.
Aug 12, 2019 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
Nice wholesome movie. The main lead was so kawaii! and the story was decent and just the most of unique plot elements made the movie really standout. But felt like the last 10-20 minutes weren't that great.

Shockingly the dub was not that good initially had me impression that the mc was a boy until i switch to sub which really rock! need to watch the TV show someday.

@JTurner

I admit Eng va did great acting but felt like the characters' voice tone didn't felt fitting or is it just me. On the other hand, the Jap dub had unique new va who were really did exceptional performance and did carried the movie for me despite the so-so script. I have watched couple of low popular movies which tend to use new va and they mostly ends up doing very amaturish performance.
removed-userSep 13, 2019 10:27 PM
Sep 9, 2019 2:21 PM

Jun 2016
It was truly a beautiful movie! It is not that often that one feels so much sympathy for all of the characters in a story but this one was surely one of those stories! Each character was so human, I absolutely enjoyed it.
Sep 12, 2019 12:23 PM
Aug 2018
I wonder how truck-kun got through two crash barriers and that wall in the middle of the street. And once he lands he turns sideways to block the whole road.

And how was she, who had her seatbelt on, able to end up on the rooftop of another car without any visible injury?

Talk about unrealistic.

Especially in the middle a few of the dialogues make no sense.
The little Imp appears and then they talk about that he attracts customers. How?

And the end with the family was a little bit confusing. Did they go to the wrong Inn and nobody noticed at all?

And why did Uribou and Miyo disappear after that particular festival when they were fine during all the previous years?
Uribou must have been around for ~60+ years and Miyo for ~10+ years.

The premise itself was interesting aswell, reminded me a bit of Hanasaku Iroha since they have the same general setting, but the spin with the ghosts was interesting.
But sadly they didn't do much with the setting. It would have needed more substance and a longer runtime.

In theory the series could deliver in that regard since it has more runtime. But from what I read so far it doesn't sound like they managed to do much with the 24 episode anime, which is a shame.
tr25a3Sep 12, 2019 4:28 PM
Sep 13, 2019 7:50 PM
Jan 2008
SkyDrop said:
Shockingly the dub was not that good initially had me impression that the mc was a boy until i switch to sub which really rock! need to watch the TV show someday.

What?! I thought the dub of Okko's Inn was absolutely fantastic, with everyone involved sounding very natural and believable. Madigan Kacmar (actress Erica Schroeder's daughter, interestingly), I thought, did an outstanding job as Okko, and so do her ghost buddies. I don't see anything about the dub that is "not good". At all. To me, the opposite is true. And I know what bad dubs sound like.
Oct 29, 2019 4:49 PM

Oct 2013
It's a Ghibli movie pretty much. I liked it a lot.
Oct 30, 2019 2:07 AM
Oct 2016
I had some expectations about this, but i never thought it would be this great. I liked it.
Nov 24, 2019 12:07 AM

Mar 2017
I liked it, it made me sad when Uribo and Miyo disappeared :<<<
I hoped there was a Okko older version at the ending credits tho >.>

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Dec 8, 2019 5:55 AM
Dec 2019
Enjoyed this movie so I give it a 8.Really an underrated anime movie!!
Dec 22, 2019 8:42 AM

Jul 2010
Madigan Kacmar (actress Erica Schroeder's daughter, interestingly)

Wait, what? Where'd you hear this? Do you have anything to confirm this?
Jan 14, 2020 4:57 PM

Sep 2018
I already feel that her parents will meet an accident, too cliche. Parents in anime are always dead or absent. Okko is very strong little girl, I feel sad for her. Guests in inn is very spoiled lol great customer service!
Good show and cutie show, but feels lacking. No proper ending for the ghosts.
Jan 16, 2020 9:31 PM
Jan 2008
Firechick12012 said:
Madigan Kacmar (actress Erica Schroeder's daughter, interestingly)

Wait, what? Where'd you hear this? Do you have anything to confirm this?

She told me in person when I met her at Kogaracon at Middlesex County College. She even says so on her Facebook page. Madigan is a very talented young lady; her Okko was captivating from the start.
Mar 14, 2020 9:37 PM

Aug 2017
This movie is great. Near the ending got me teary eyed. Wasn’t expecting much... but wow glad I finished it.
Apr 8, 2020 7:17 PM

May 2012
Liked it but it was different than what I expected actually. Still a nice watch.
Apr 13, 2020 10:53 PM

Aug 2015
Okko's attitude is really admirable. A story of grief and loss and family love told in a charming way.
The overall feeling of the town, townsfolk, and guests is really heartwarming. Everyone is so kind, even Matsuki in the end.
Jun 21, 2020 12:53 PM
Mar 2016
Not my cup of tea. I can see why others like this, but I found it pretty boring. So much could have been done with the ghost characters, but they really just hung in the background until getting reincarnated.

A lot of things weren't addressed. Why are they getting reincarnated after so long? Why did Uribo watch over Oba-san? Why did Muyo prefer to stay with Okko instead of her sister? How exactly did the demon attract customers? Why couldn't Uribo effect reality? How did he save Okko? The relationships between all the characters felt pretty shallow, and the guests were very spoiled.

In the end the whole thing just feels very incomplete. The animation, sound, and tone were amazing; but they felt wasted. The bits with Okko's parents were especially frustrating, since the whole time she knows they're dead too. She just pretends they're alive in her dreams. It really begs the question why their ghosts weren't involved, and what other people thought about her talking to thin air all the time. Like is she severely schizophrenic, or can she see spirits? Or both? Not clear.

Edit: As much as I often dislike child love subplots, I feel like it could have benefited here. Either between Uribo and Oba-san, or even the two main girls, could have added to the drama some. It could be kept pretty surface level and innocent, but would have at least added depth and motivation to characters. The rivalry would make more sense at least.
DarkdaxterJun 21, 2020 12:59 PM
Jan 31, 2021 3:57 AM

Oct 2018
Coming from seeing the series beforehand, I found the film to be a pretty good for the updating of visuals & presentation, but found the streamlining of the narrative in some places and the ending for the ghosts to be a bit annoying. The expansion of the passing of her parents was a welcome addition to the narrative, but the trimming/reduction of some of the characters in the story and the Deus ex Machina introduced regarding her ghost friends disappearing at the end was disappointing, I liked the open ending the series had a lot better, it was far more upbeat. They could’ve had her accepting the painful memories of her parents passing away and had the ghosts stay, it seemed like a downer they ‘had to go’ definitely preferred their ending in the series a lot more.
Jul 26, 2021 7:24 AM
Sep 2016
Story and visual wise, a pretty solid movie for time pass. Writing quality isn't high and some parts of the story don't feel very smooth and coherent though.

BUT HOLY ****!!!! Why on earth did they destroy the main character's face? I was facepalming like the entire time because of that. They probably even hinted how she could've looked in the end credit visuals. Did an independent character designer worked here or what exactly? She feels like she's from a different anime! Her artstyle is totally detached from everything else.

Without the chara design blunder, 7.5/10
With the blunder, 6/10.
nazsaJul 26, 2021 7:28 AM
Nov 26, 2021 12:37 PM
Feb 2021
Does Anybody know the title of the track from the
scene in the middle of the movie?
Dec 2, 2021 8:23 PM

May 2019
This was beautifully done. It gave grief a soft and gentle landing. Although the concepts were heavy and difficult, it was made with tact and offered warmth through hardship without cliche.

What a great film.
Apr 9, 2022 6:29 AM

Feb 2020
This was a nice and emotional movie. The ending was a little sad when Uribo and Miyo disappeared. :(

Poor Okko. I feel sorry for her, but I know she'll be fine. She's not alone.
Jun 13, 2022 8:19 PM

Jun 2014
This was a great movie. I became rather emotional, especially at the end.

Jul 8, 2022 4:16 PM

Feb 2021
That was pretty enjoyable at the end. Surprising to find on Netflix
Jan 6, 2023 7:16 PM

Sep 2020
Never seen the series but this was a wonderful movie! Really made me smile and misty-eyed at times, especially that 1st dream after the accident with Okko sneaking into her parents' bed :'(

Solid 9/10, you could've fooled me and said it was a Ghibli movie.

Like others, I was disappointed and confused by the lack of information of certain things:

- how Uribo saved Okko (he said she died, so did he revive her?)

- why they had to "move on" at specifically at the festival (Uribo's been around forever, and Miyo over a decade). It would've better if they just said that Okko would lose the ability to see them on her 13th birthday or something.

I was also hoping for a time-jump at the end and seeing adult Okko running the place. They could've added that to the montage in the credits.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Jul 12, 2023 7:51 PM
Feb 2019
Simplesmente perfeito, não dava nada para o filme por sua aparencia mas me surpreender MUITO, uma historia muito envolvente de uma menina que perde os pais em um acidente e tem que morar com sua avó, amo como mostram os sentimentos dela pelos pais e as dificuldades que ela passou e como ela passou por tudo isso. Choro toda vez que reassisto, sendo uma das poucas obras em que eu vi e verei mais de uma vez, pois ainda pretendo ver muito mais. Gosto muito de como a historia começou e como ela terminou, mostrou todos os personagens na medida certo e conseguiu desenvolver quase todos, mas ainda assim conseguimos sentir empatia por todos, os figurantes são vistos, os coadjuvantes. Meu coração fica quentinho só de pensar.
Sep 12, 2023 4:48 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I was finally able to watch this movie. I mean, while watching the TV anime they kept showing like a teaser PV for it, so I always told myself I'd watch it eventually. Mn... let me just say, there were a whole bunch of sniffles going down in the place I watched this in. I was in a room with many people. I do like what they explored in the movie here but uh... I think there are things that felt a little off? Like, with the TV anime it was a little more easy to deal with the death part because a lot of it was put aside so that the focus could be put on Okko getting stronger. I actually did like how Okko progressed in the movie here, yet there's just something odd about it. I feel like if they had placed this aspect in the TV anime then it would have made it a lot stronger. Meanwhile, the movie kinda makes things feel a little odd too. Like... Suzuki is a bit of an odd entity if you really watch the film while keeping a sharp eye on them. Like... alright you bring in troublesome guests, but it just seemed kinda hard to piece this character into the story well enough to warrant them being there. Like Suzuki really didn't do much, and maybe a part of that comes from the film being limited on time. Yet at the same time, Miyo just...?? Like in the movie, first she's mean, but then, only after our aesthetic animation chase, she's suddenly alright with them. Not only that but she became a pillar of support for Okko as well, but it's like... why...? I feel like the TV anime did a little more with that.

Still, I felt the film did well enough exploring Okko's journey. We received a lot of accepting all for who they are/understanding each other's strengths and weaknesses. A nice, big focus on how everyone deals with their situations differently. And really, there's a bit of an undertone of... "well, this happened. How you deal with it is what shapes you as a person. Yet you can continue to shape yourself if you'd like". And you know, Okko's way of dealing with things was actually a bit sad, but I appreciated that the film showed that while she's trying to be strong she's actually keeping herself up with a bit of a deluded thought process. She actually hasn't fully accepted her situation. Yet whenever she has to come face to face with reality or is reminded of it, she feels the need to run/panics. And having her realize that running away might even hurt her further was an interesting choice to me. I'm actually okay with the conclusion she came to. I do really miss some of the other stuff from the TV anime though. If only they could have combined the two. Probably would have worked if the TV anime wasn't an anime short, but hey.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 17, 2023 12:40 AM

Oct 2013
It's nice but it feels really rushed compared to the tv series

More topics from this board

» music title?

Hisoka2107 - Nov 26, 2021

1 by SoggyPizza »»
Nov 26, 2021 10:55 PM

» if have seen the show is the movie worth it?

wolfwing - Aug 28, 2019

2 by Bell_cz »»
Apr 4, 2020 9:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.