Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2018 4:40 AM

Dec 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was quite an aggressive kiss...

Aliens, eh? I heard this was very similar to Evangelion, but I haven't seen Eva yet...So, I can't say for sure...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 8, 2018 6:09 AM

Jun 2017
This is where things really start going downhill, if the last four episodes weren't enough. The show begins stealing concepts from other shows like Evangelion (The FranXX being modified klaxosaurs, APE's desires, etc.), and VIRM just appears out of NOWHERE.
Aug 8, 2018 6:24 AM

Apr 2016
joe_g7 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was quite an aggressive kiss...

Aliens, eh? I heard this was very similar to Evangelion, but I haven't seen Eva yet...So, I can't say for sure...
They tried basically bringing together End of Eva and the second half of Gurren Lagann here. The whole wanting to merge everything into one starting with Earth is Eva while the purple aliens are Gurren Lagann. It was done poorly, coming out of nowhere (yes, Papa was obviously up to something of a betrayal, but it was so vague that they kinda could have done any sort of betrayal that didn't introduce outlandish new elements, and still make sense). Not to mention that nothing made sense at this point, so of course that trend of nothing functioning would apply in this episode.
Aug 8, 2018 6:27 AM

Dec 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
They tried basically bringing together End of Eva and the second half of Gurren Lagann here. The whole wanting to merge everything into one starting with Earth is Eva while the purple aliens are Gurren Lagann. It was done poorly, coming out of nowhere (yes, Papa was obviously up to something of a betrayal, but it was so vague that they kinda could have done any sort of betrayal that didn't introduce outlandish new elements, and still make sense). Not to mention that nothing made sense at this point, so of course that trend of nothing functioning would apply in this episode.
Ohh! I see. No wonder this episode ended up feeling so weird then. The whole alien thing just felt so out of left field. Good to know.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 8, 2018 6:29 AM

Apr 2016
joe_g7 said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
Ohh! I see. No wonder this episode ended up feeling so weird then. The whole alien thing just felt so out of left field. Good to know.
You're welcome. Yea, they really didn't care about the integrity of their work when it came to trying to ape (heh) from other shows.
Aug 8, 2018 6:58 AM

Apr 2016
ZetaKai1219 said:
This is where things really start going downhill, if the last four episodes weren't enough. The show begins stealing concepts from other shows like Evangelion (The FranXX being modified klaxosaurs, APE's desires, etc.), and VIRM just appears out of NOWHERE.
Well, it's kinda been introducing concepts from Eva already. The premise of the show is a weird combination of Evangelion and the first half of Gurren Lagann, and even the setting of the Plantations looks similar to the underground NERV sector of Tokyo-3. Even rampage mode is like when the Evangelions went berserk in the second half of that show, except they did nothing with it here. Yea, it goes even further with the Eva shit from this point onward, and it's undoubtedly even worse than t ever was, but we can't deny how influenced the early half was, nor can I deny how horrible the show already was before this episode happened.
Aug 8, 2018 7:00 AM

Jun 2017
Yeah the show already had Eva-like aspects, but during the final arc it threw a shit ton of it into our faces.
Aug 8, 2018 7:06 AM

Apr 2016
ZetaKai1219 said:
Yeah the show already had Eva-like aspects, but during the final arc it threw a shit ton of it into our faces.
Not to mention that this show officially took Gurren Lagann's series structure and basically remade that show's second arc by a million times worse.
Aug 8, 2018 9:02 AM

Dec 2016
So! Many! Fucking! Questions!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 8, 2018 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
Back to my anime life! After more than a month not watching almost anything.
This is a hell of a start xD
Wow! That princess took complete control over Strelizia ☹ Poor 02.
Oh well…I wasn’t expecting this, so the real enemy is not even Papa and his team, it’s invaders from another galaxy, well….this is something that I would have never expected xD
But that fight, damn can’t wait for next episodes…wonder now how this will end.
Can’t believe I almost forgot to comment about the revelations in this episode, I think that they were so many that I simply didn’t knew how to approach all of this. None of us was probably expecting this “alien invasion” stuff. So 02 is the clone of that girl, as we expected Kokoro is pregnant xD Finally after 20 episodes we got to know how this all happened, so those alien invaders are the real enemies, and they have been a part of the Papa’s group, and they were just using humanity to get all the magma from earth so that they could weaken the Klax. So much new information revealed In just one episode.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 8, 2018 9:46 PM

May 2012
First thing that really came to mind was the puking, possible morning sickness? But well you can really see that Trigger still holds quite true to original Gainax series, with their organic invaders from like Gun Buster and now that I think about it the satellite really reminds me of the New Atlan space ships from Blue Water to be honest.

Especially with the masks and stuff. But with such an ending and actual information regarding what's going down, it pretty much don't think we'll be seeing an actual good ending to all of this? Still quite amazed with all these events and really looking forwards to find out what will happen next, especially with Zero Two!
Aug 9, 2018 10:33 AM

Jan 2017
Well... This episode had me royally screwed; I actually felt that this anime was implying the underlying theme of how the earth is exhausting its resources -inevitably pushing humanity towards extinction.
_
But that doesn't seem to be the case.
_
Apparently, this was all about an alien invasion; this build up was just about a petty feud between the two races klaxo-sapiens and homo-sapiens, talk about underwhelming.
Well, it did good up 'til now, so I'll still rate it fairly high but really? Why?
[cue; 'do uno da wae?'voice] "Why you do this?'

C'mon fix up. Ya did great til now! Don't finish off as though you're really just some switched version of Evangelion... It ain't gonna end well for you
Aug 12, 2018 2:04 AM

Jun 2013

Honestly, how long has it been since Kokoro and Mitsuru did the dirty deed? I think it’s a bit too early for her to show signs of pregnancy. I hope she doesn’t miscarry. I want to see my OTP’s baby even if my OTP dies.

Also, I love the Nines a lot but they were so fucking triggered in this episode. Like chill the fuck out, Alpha. Just enjoy getting pegged in the ass like you usually do.

The loli princess is back! Yay! Loved how she pinned down Dr. Franxx like, “No, you motherfucking, pedophile! NOT TODAY!” She straight up kissed Hiro, the worst MC ever, must’ve been terrible and I’m sure the triggered fans who vicariously live through Hiro are going to cry and threaten the voice actress of the klaxosaur princess.

I knew it the klaxosaurs were like the prototype to the Franxx. I had a feeling that they were inspired by the Franxx. Also, I had a strong hunch that APEs were really alien invaders that suddenly influenced humans and I was right. The real enemy is APE, which I’m sure many people figured out by now, and the klaxosaurs were fighting against these alien invaders.

Don’t kill my loli princess! D:

臭い-
Aug 14, 2018 11:00 AM

Jan 2014
damn, what a plot twist!

so Klaxo sapiens are actually human ally all along.
Aug 29, 2018 7:19 PM

Jul 2013
Surprise surprise the klauxors were actually the good guys and the fuckers in masks at least two of them are actually the baddies. But seriously this is like some gintama shit. Already doing pretty well in Earth but they just had to involve the aliens did they?
Oct 4, 2018 12:05 PM
Absolute Zenith

Mar 2016
Nani koreeee!?!?!? What in the actual fuuuuuuck!?

This plot twist legit came outta nowhere! Not only did this episode revealed that Hiro is the klanxosaur's child and that Zero 2 is just a copy, but this whole time. The fight against klanxosaurs was never Humans VS them, but instead Klanxosaurs VS VIRM!!!

I always knew that the APE and Papa is some kind of character that has a huge hidden secret, but I never actually thought that they're another species of aliens!

This whole time, the klanxosaurs have been hiding underneath the Planet's crust for protection from the invaders (VIRM) And the reason on why the VIRM came to Planet was to ultimately blow the whole planet up along with the klanxosaurs! The reason why Humanity is left in ruins was that of the VIRM in the first place!!!

Code 001 turns out to be the princess of Klaxosaurs huh...
Nov 5, 2018 5:52 PM

Jan 2013
Hiro's mouth just got raped basically.

Can someone tell me why 02's blood is red now?
Nov 6, 2018 1:12 AM
May 2016
Hase0 said:

It was red from episode 1. She only had blue blood when she was young dino girl(Eo To). Dont ask why they never explained when that happened.
Nov 6, 2018 1:16 AM

Jun 2017
Hase0 said:

It was that way since the beginning since the first episode. Her child body has gone through lot of changes since. There was a scene in 13 where she appeared in a lab table bleeding red. Maybe she underwent experiments to blend in more.
Nov 6, 2018 4:04 PM

Jan 2013
jkazuHako02Mar said:
Hase0 said:

It was red from episode 1. She only had blue blood when she was young dino girl(Eo To). Dont ask why they never explained when that happened.

Ariavartan said:
Hase0 said:

It was that way since the beginning since the first episode. Her child body has gone through lot of changes since. There was a scene in 13 where she appeared in a lab table bleeding red. Maybe she underwent experiments to blend in more.

I see, thanks for the explanations.
Nov 24, 2018 4:27 AM

Jun 2012
Did I start a new anime? What's going on?

Dec 25, 2018 3:54 PM

Jun 2015
wait okay i thought it was a completely different anime at the beginning, but now i get it. so this all this time they were fighting against what should've been their ally, and they were being led by the enemy. oh my god.
Mar 10, 2019 5:38 PM
Jun 2017
CodeBlazeFate said:
ZetaKai1219 said:
Not to mention that this show officially took Gurren Lagann's series structure and basically remade that show's second arc by a million times worse.

GL's structure? Fucks sake I heard retarded things but this one takes the spot. If I tell you about a certain Odyssey book trilogy your head might explode, right? The arrogance and ignorance mixed in this kind of comments is astounding.
Mar 10, 2019 6:35 PM

Apr 2016
Aplope said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

GL's structure? Fucks sake I heard retarded things but this one takes the spot. If I tell you about a certain Odyssey book trilogy your head might explode, right? The arrogance and ignorance mixed in this kind of comments is astounding.
This is one of the craziest, most bitter FranXX fanboy comments I've witnessed in a while.

I mean, it kinda does take from that arc, from the general events to the structure. Not that I would expect anything else when this show has already referenced and enacted the exact same plot points from Evangelion many times up until now, and some of the staff includes people who worked on Gurren Lagann. I can link you to something that expands on this (not the staff part, but still): https://thecrimsoncolosseum.wordpress.com/2018/07/07/franxxs-flawed-replication-of-gurren-lagann-and-neon-genesis-evangelion-a-supplementary-piece/

Also, not really, I'm not being that arrogant here? At least, not compared to you, with your "nuh uh, this OTHER classic that's less well-known in these particular circles is the REAL comparison here" "if I tell you about THIS classic, your idiotic head will explode" pompous bullshit. I mean, I haven't read those books, but that does that negate the similarities between the final 9 episodes of FranXX and the last 11 episodes of Gurren Lagann? No. Does that suddenly make this episode - or the show for that matter, any better written? No. Does that mean they couldn't have possibly been heavily influenced by Eva and Gurren Lagann [i] as well as[/s] The Odyssey? No (and it's not like there's anything publicized on the whole Odyssey thing like there is for the references and similarities with the aforementioned Gainax shows). Just cuz you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there or that others can't (I have personally heard others who have on their own or thanks to what I linked above).

Also, it's cake, not spot. Come back when you take a chill. You're apeing out like Zero-Two did in episode 14.
CodeBlazeFateMar 10, 2019 7:12 PM
Mar 10, 2019 7:20 PM
Jun 2017
CodeBlazeFate said:
Aplope said:

This is one of the craziest, most bitter FranXX fanboy comments I've witnessed in a while.

I mean, it kinda does take from that arc, from the general events to the structure. Not that I would expect anything else when this show has already referenced and enacted the exact same plot points from Evangelion many times up until now, and some of the staff includes people who worked on Gurren Lagann. I can link you to something that expands on this: https://thecrimsoncolosseum.wordpress.com/2018/07/07/franxxs-flawed-replication-of-gurren-lagann-and-neon-genesis-evangelion-a-supplementary-piece/

Also, not really, I'm not being that arrogant here? At least, not compared to you, with your "nuh uh, this OTHER, less well-known in these particular circles, classic is the REAL comparison here" "if I tell you about THIS classic, your idiotic head will explode" pompous bullshit. I mean, I haven't read those books, but that does that negate the similarities between the final 9 episodes of FranXX and the last 11 episodes of Gurren Lagann? No. Does that suddenly make this episode - or the show for that matter, any better written? No. Does that mean they couldn't have possibly been heavily influenced by Eva and Gurren Lagann [i] as well as[/s] The Odyssey? No (and it's not like there's anything publicized on the whole Odyssey thing like there is for the references and similarities with the aforementioned Gainax shows). Just cuz you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there or that others can't (I have personally heard others who have on their own or thanks to what I linked above).

Also, it's cake, not spot. Come back when you take a chill. You're apeing out like Zero-Two did in episode 14.

Yeah, I knew you had no idea... The space odyseey trilogy was a pioneer on the theme explored in those gainax shows. It's common culture by now, and it's 3 acts structure, the subsequent tonal changes and the grand oniric final has been used in hundreds of science fiction stories.

Saying that's in anyway unique or original to GL or EVA is the dumbest shit one can spew. That's sheer arrogance fueled by stupidity and ignorance.

Linking me to that toxic thread is even more hilarious. You think some ignorant circlejerking thread building on stuff none of you have a single idea about is proof of what?? That Franxx is a copy? That's bad for it? For coming later to the party and using the same literary sources as any of those "great anime classics"?

You speak of the shows writers and plot. What's your background on that field? What do you know of the 3 act structure? What was wrong with the incident exposition? Do you know what a characters arc really is and why it gets developed in the second act? Yeah, pretty sure's all mumbo jumbo to you... But hey, your circlejerking pals all agree with you the writting is shit so it must be true, right? I mean, how could it not, they broke that guy's heart and ruined my "ship". Shit show man, shit show, shit writting...
Mar 10, 2019 8:08 PM

Apr 2016
Aplope said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I mean, it kinda does take from that arc, from the general events to the structure. Not that I would expect anything else when this show has already referenced and enacted the exact same plot points from Evangelion many times up until now, and some of the staff includes people who worked on Gurren Lagann. I can link you to something that expands on this: https://thecrimsoncolosseum.wordpress.com/2018/07/07/franxxs-flawed-replication-of-gurren-lagann-and-neon-genesis-evangelion-a-supplementary-piece/

Also, not really, I'm not being that arrogant here? At least, not compared to you, with your "nuh uh, this OTHER, less well-known in these particular circles, classic is the REAL comparison here" "if I tell you about THIS classic, your idiotic head will explode" pompous bullshit. I mean, I haven't read those books, but that does that negate the similarities between the final 9 episodes of FranXX and the last 11 episodes of Gurren Lagann? No. Does that suddenly make this episode - or the show for that matter, any better written? No. Does that mean they couldn't have possibly been heavily influenced by Eva and Gurren Lagann [i] as well as[/s] The Odyssey? No (and it's not like there's anything publicized on the whole Odyssey thing like there is for the references and similarities with the aforementioned Gainax shows). Just cuz you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there or that others can't (I have personally heard others who have on their own or thanks to what I linked above).

Yeah, I knew you had no idea... The space odyseey trilogy was a pioneer on the theme explored in those gainax shows. It's common culture by now, and it's 3 acts structure, the subsequent tonal changes and the grand oniric final has been used in hundreds of science fiction stories.

Saying that's in anyway unique or original to GL or EVA is the dumbest shit one can spew. That's sheer arrogance fueled by stupidity and ignorance.

Linking me to that toxic thread is even more hilarious. You think some ignorant circlejerking thread building on stuff none of you have a single idea about is proof of what?? That Franxx is a copy? That's bad for it? For coming later to the party and using the same literary sources as any of those "great anime classics"?

You speak of the shows writers and plot. What's your background on that field? What do you know of the 3 act structure? What was wrong with the incident exposition? Do you know what a characters arc really is and why it gets developed in the second act? Yeah, pretty sure's all mumbo jumbo to you... But hey, your circlejerking pals all agree with you the writting is shit so it must be true, right? I mean, how could it not, they broke that guy's heart and ruined my "ship". Shit show man, shit show, shit writting...
wow your levels of salt are enough to kill all the animals in the ocean. Your levels of toxicity would almost be considered laughable if they weren't so depressing.

Also, way to tell me absolutely nothing about the similarities between that novel trilogy and FranXX. I mean, does the final arc of this trilogy begin with the main character and friends getting used to a new living situation long after defeating an enemy at the climax of the first arc? Do aliens suddenly appear and tear everything to hell while the main character's GF is forced to deal with the purple anti-people alien threat by herself before the MC comes back with an even better mech to rescue her before they fight the final boss with an even bigger mech resembling one of the protagonists, in outer space? Yea, perhaps that trilogy was influential to Gainax. Wanna tell me how? You're the one arguing, or do you not wanna "enlighten" me and make me less "ignorant" cuz you wouldn't be "right"? Also, the 3 act structure is more of a film thing than a sci-fi thing, and even then, neither FranXX nor Gurren Lagan have 3 defined arcs. They have a longer first arc where something big happens in the halfway mark before slowing down and then picking up with the exact same threat and main plotline, and then they have a second arc that goes in a different direction (not in tone cuz umm...none of the arcs have an overall different tone from one another. Some episodes in each arc are more lighthearted, sure, but the arcs themselves aren't really bleaker or otherwise more tonally different from one another).

I mean, couldn't the same be applied to that trilogy? I mean, I guarentee other things inspired it before it became influential, just as it seemingly did Eva and Gurren Lagann before becoming popular. Also, way to not debunk how the Instrumentality Project plotline of Eva or the structure and sequence of events in episodes 17-27 of Gurren Lagann are not things they did before other shows directly took inspiration from them (especially Evangelion, since the term post-Eva exists for a reason, with shows like RahXephon, Brain Powerd, FranXX, and De;Vadassy taking heavy inspiration and lifting plotlines and whatnot directly from it --cuz no other anime did those exact same things before--, and shows like Geass R2 also borrowing from that specific show). I never said that stuff is unique to those shows. The fact that other shows have done those things since, automatically invalidates that claim.

Also, no, if you actually bothered reading and/or paying attention, it's not the sole act of using those same ideas and structures that makes FranXX bad. It's the act of surrounding them with bad writing that makes it not work. I mean, Gainax recycles shit from itself all the time and a fair amount of the time (from references to influences and ideas like one of the antagonists in a shady government organization having captured Adam and having it be the origin of their whole plan and whatnot), it doesn't fuck up that badly. Hell, even other shows that have taken from events from Evangelion, wholesale, didn't fuck up this badly (Code Geass R2 counts as an example). Also, that "coming later to the parting and using the same literary sources as any of those 'great anime classics'" line is one of the stupidest things I've read. You do know what taking ideas from influences and expanding on them means, right? Music does that all the time. Anime does that all the time. Evangelion famously expanded on elements of Ideon, specifically the second movie, and became its own classic for works like RahXephon to take inspiration from and take in a different direction that most people also liked (leading to a more positive consensus for it than fucking FranXX has). Again, it's not that FranXX took these ideas and attempted to work with them that made it bad in this regard. It's the execution of what it did with those ideas that's at fault. That blog you stubbornly and stupidly called "toxic" was not only looking at those similarities, but actively showing how one show did those things well, and one show did them poorly.

Wow, way to add in the "u and ur circlejerking pals" comment, as if your snobbish, violent, deflecting tendencies weren't made clear enough. I'd honestly be shouting "BINGO" with my "salty, ironically elitist, butthurt internet fanboy" card right now if I actually prepared such a thing. Also, man, way to assume I care about ships...let alone any of the ships in this show, which are comprised of characters devoid of any chemistry.

If you must know if I know anything about this, the 3 act stucture is something that is also commonly taught in film. The first 25% is act 1, which is mostly about the introduction and about setting up the arcs and conflicts surrounding your main character(s). Arc 2 can be seen as two halves: the half that's often about characters interacting more positively before the main conflict begins taking its toll (often establishing character dynamics and setups that weren't done in the introductory phase meant to intrigue and entice the viewer) and the half where the characters are left more vulnerable than ever and are forced to pick up the pieces. That's the next 50%. Finally, the third arc, where all of the payoffs happen, and when we get our climax, falling actions, and resolution. I have never went to film school personally, and I'm basing this off of channels like Nando V Movies and Lessons from Screenplay who have studied film in one way or another and constantly describe these kinds of things while discussing pop culture jugegrnauts like superhero movies. I'm not sure how this applies to books per se (I assume that the core idea isn't entirely absent in those either, and I guarantee that in some way, these things apply to some or most anime and TV shows --obviously not discounting anime or TV movies--). Also yea, obviously, no duh, final arcs or climaxes to a show taking place in space is a cultural thing and not something Gurren Lagan came up with. Most Gundam shows made their final acts in space (especially notable in Turn A Gundam, where we never really went to space until the final 7 or so episodes of the show). Southern Cross had its final act take place in space or at least a spaceship. End of Evangelion's final act is a mindfuck that takes place in space before everything literally collapses back onto planet earth. Planet With's final 2 episodes took place in space. SSSS.GRIDMAN had a sorta cyberspace in its final episodes. etc. but that's not the damn point.

You see how just by actually explaining things instead of going "REEEEE U CIRCLEJERKING IGNORAMUS U DON'T KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT; OBVIOUSLY X DID IT FIRST LEMME GIVE YOU BRIEF THINGS ABOUT IT THAT AREN'T EVEN RELEVANT TO THIS SHOW AS FAR AS YOU KNOW BECAUSE I REFUSE TO ACTUALLY EXPLAIN IT OR REALY LINK IT BACK TO THE TOPIC", you can actually sound like you know even a little bit of what you're talking about instead of coming off like the spiteful and arrogant fanboy and petulant child that you are?
Mar 10, 2019 9:42 PM
Jun 2017
CodeBlazeFate said:
Aplope said:

wow your levels of salt are enough to kill all the animals in the ocean. Your levels of toxicity would almost be considered laughable if they weren't so depressing.

Also, way to tell me absolutely nothing about the similarities between that novel trilogy and FranXX. I mean, does the final arc of this trilogy begin with the main character and friends getting used to a new living situation long after defeating an enemy at the climax of the first arc? Do aliens suddenly appear and tear everything to hell while the main character's GF is forced to deal with the purple anti-people alien threat by herself before the MC comes back with an even better mech to rescue her before they fight the final boss with an even bigger mech resembling one of the protagonists, in outer space? Yea, perhaps that trilogy was influential to Gainax. Wanna tell me how? You're the one arguing, or do you not wanna "enlighten" me and make me less "ignorant" cuz you wouldn't be "right"? Also, the 3 act structure is more of a film thing than a sci-fi thing, and even then, neither FranXX nor Gurren Lagan have 3 defined arcs. They have a longer first arc where something big happens in the halfway mark before slowing down and then picking up with the exact same threat and main plotline, and then they have a second arc that goes in a different direction (not in tone cuz umm...none of the arcs have an overall different tone from one another. Some episodes in each arc are more lighthearted, sure, but the arcs themselves aren't really bleaker or otherwise more tonally different from one another).

I mean, couldn't the same be applied to that trilogy? I mean, I guarentee other things inspired it before it became influential, just as it seemingly did Eva and Gurren Lagann before becoming popular. Also, way to not debunk how the Instrumentality Project plotline of Eva or the structure and sequence of events in episodes 17-27 of Gurren Lagann are not things they did before other shows directly took inspiration from them (especially Evangelion, since the term post-Eva exists for a reason, with shows like RahXephon, Brain Powerd, FranXX, and De;Vadassy taking heavy inspiration and lifting plotlines and whatnot directly from it --cuz no other anime did those exact same things before--, and shows like Geass R2 also borrowing from that specific show). I never said that stuff is unique to those shows. The fact that other shows have done those things since, automatically invalidates that claim.

Also, no, if you actually bothered reading and/or paying attention, it's not the sole act of using those same ideas and structures that makes FranXX bad. It's the act of surrounding them with bad writing that makes it not work. I mean, Gainax recycles shit from itself all the time and a fair amount of the time (from references to influences and ideas like one of the antagonists in a shady government organization having captured Adam and having it be the origin of their whole plan and whatnot), it doesn't fuck up that badly. Hell, even other shows that have taken from events from Evangelion, wholesale, didn't fuck up this badly (Code Geass R2 counts as an example). Also, that "coming later to the parting and using the same literary sources as any of those 'great anime classics'" line is one of the stupidest things I've read. You do know what taking ideas from influences and expanding on them means, right? Music does that all the time. Anime does that all the time. Evangelion famously expanded on elements of Ideon, specifically the second movie, and became its own classic for works like RahXephon to take inspiration from and take in a different direction that most people also liked (leading to a more positive consensus for it than fucking FranXX has). Again, it's not that FranXX took these ideas and attempted to work with them that made it bad in this regard. It's the execution of what it did with those ideas that's at fault. That blog you stubbornly and stupidly called "toxic" was not only looking at those similarities, but actively showing how one show did those things well, and one show did them poorly.

Wow, way to add in the "u and ur circlejerking pals" comment, as if your snobbish, violent, deflecting tendencies weren't made clear enough. I'd honestly be shouting "BINGO" with my "salty, ironically elitist, butthurt internet fanboy" card right now if I actually prepared such a thing. Also, man, way to assume I care about ships...let alone any of the ships in this show, which are comprised of characters devoid of any chemistry.

If you must know if I know anything about this, the 3 act stucture is something that is also commonly taught in film. The first 25% is act 1, which is mostly about the introduction and about setting up the arcs and conflicts surrounding your main character(s). Arc 2 can be seen as two halves: the half that's often about characters interacting more positively before the main conflict begins taking its toll (often establishing character dynamics and setups that weren't done in the introductory phase meant to intrigue and entice the viewer) and the half where the characters are left more vulnerable than ever and are forced to pick up the pieces. That's the next 50%. Finally, the third arc, where all of the payoffs happen, and when we get our climax, falling actions, and resolution. I have never went to film school personally, and I'm basing this off of channels like Nando V Movies and Lessons from Screenplay who have studied film in one way or another and constantly describe these kinds of things while discussing pop culture jugegrnauts like superhero movies. I'm not sure how this applies to books per se (I assume that the core idea isn't entirely absent in those either, and I guarantee that in some way, these things apply to some or most anime and TV shows --obviously not discounting anime or TV movies--). Also yea, obviously, no duh, final arcs or climaxes to a show taking place in space is a cultural thing and not something Gurren Lagan came up with. Most Gundam shows made their final acts in space (especially notable in Turn A Gundam, where we never really went to space until the final 7 or so episodes of the show). Southern Cross had its final act take place in space or at least a spaceship. End of Evangelion's final act is a mindfuck that takes place in space before everything literally collapses back onto planet earth. Planet With's final 2 episodes took place in space. SSSS.GRIDMAN had a sorta cyberspace in its final episodes. etc. but that's not the damn point.

You see how just by actually explaining things instead of going "REEEEE U CIRCLEJERKING IGNORAMUS U DON'T KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT; OBVIOUSLY X DID IT FIRST LEMME GIVE YOU BRIEF THINGS ABOUT IT THAT AREN'T EVEN RELEVANT TO THIS SHOW AS FAR AS YOU KNOW BECAUSE I REFUSE TO ACTUALLY EXPLAIN IT OR REALY LINK IT BACK TO THE TOPIC", you can actually sound like you know even a little bit of what you're talking about instead of coming off like the spiteful and arrogant fanboy and petulant child that you are?

You base all of those "doing well, doing bad" statements on argument depictions... How on earth do you want me to explain anything to you when you're utterly clueless on the points made and general writting aptitudes. You compare script writting with plot devices. You're like the guy telling the mechanic what to do without having a clue about it. You want me to go point by point countering every single shit statement you made? I wouldn't finish...

How is 2000 Odyseey in Space related to the gainax series (or Franxx) you say? I already told you, you mongrel, the 3 act structure (depiction, character development, climax), the tonal change (dramatic comedy as reliefs), the monomyths (the hero's path in all these series are stickers)... You don't compare similarities by pointing out to argument pieces. Saying Franxx is a ripoff because of the dodgy organisation is the dumbest shit I ever heard. Building on that is building on a falacy. By that logic you could argue Romeo and Juliet is a ripoff off Celestina or that Shakespeare was Calisto and Melibea's pussy version.

The space "acts"... What are you on? I didn't mention the space odyseey to make any point about the settings of the final acts... Failing to grasp the basics of the conversation. The space setting is irrelevant. That's just another plot device.

And no, what you believe to be the 3 act structure has nothing to do with it. You're 3 act depiction is a sorry wikipedia monomyth's entry or, probably, some variant used in script writting. Here's a hint for you. When you try to study such an old, complex and well documented piece of academic knowledge like for examole, a fking literary structure, a 2 page wikipedia entry ain't worth shit. A 10 min analysis on a movie ain't worth much more either. Read about the paradigm of Syd Fried or Berkley's script devices. Then, you come back and tell me how the basic structure of Franxx is based on GL and not on an universally taught academic piece of knowledge...

And we could argue even further on how the intersection in GL makes two very distimctive tonal acts whereas theres nothing of sorts in Franxx... The pacing is also very different between the 2 shows... GL is an "in crescendo" type while Franxx is a wavelength type. Basically, the shows build on the same classic structure, have different tones, pacing, but share some plot devices and settings, and yeah, some cultural references. There's no case standing for Franxx being a ripoff of GL, or, in the same manner, any other space opera anime. The same thing gets argued with the Lion King and Kimba or Matrix and Ghost in The Shell. It's complete nonsense.

Anyway, I'm done with you. You've clearly shown you have no ground to stand on. You even fail to see how "toxic" your demeanor is and just write it off with a childish "no, you're more". You know nothing about "writting" yet you go on about lecturing others. You're the living depiction of an obtuse toxic dimwit unable to realize when circumstances exceed oneself. You can have an opinion but if justified with illinformed facts, it becomes meaningless. You're capital letters rants are funny tough. Take the hint already and stop making a fool of yourself. People will read you.
Mar 11, 2019 6:13 AM

Apr 2016
Aplope said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

You base all of those "doing well, doing bad" statements on argument depictions... How on earth do you want me to explain anything to you when you're utterly clueless on the points made and general writting aptitudes. You compare script writting with plot devices. You're like the guy telling the mechanic what to do without having a clue about it. You want me to go point by point countering every single shit statement you made? I wouldn't finish...

How is 2000 Odyseey in Space related to the gainax series (or Franxx) you say? I already told you, you mongrel, the 3 act structure (depiction, character development, climax), the tonal change (dramatic comedy as reliefs), the monomyths (the hero's path in all these series are stickers)... You don't compare similarities by pointing out to argument pieces. Saying Franxx is a ripoff because of the dodgy organisation is the dumbest shit I ever heard. Building on that is building on a falacy. By that logic you could argue Romeo and Juliet is a ripoff off Celestina or that Shakespeare was Calisto and Melibea's pussy version.

The space "acts"... What are you on? I didn't mention the space odyseey to make any point about the settings of the final acts... Failing to grasp the basics of the conversation. The space setting is irrelevant. That's just another plot device.

And no, what you believe to be the 3 act structure has nothing to do with it. You're 3 act depiction is a sorry wikipedia monomyth's entry or, probably, some variant used in script writting. Here's a hint for you. When you try to study such an old, complex and well documented piece of academic knowledge like for examole, a fking literary structure, a 2 page wikipedia entry ain't worth shit. A 10 min analysis on a movie ain't worth much more either. Read about the paradigm of Syd Fried or Berkley's script devices. Then, you come back and tell me how the basic structure of Franxx is based on GL and not on an universally taught academic piece of knowledge...

And we could argue even further on how the intersection in GL makes two very distimctive tonal acts whereas theres nothing of sorts in Franxx... The pacing is also very different between the 2 shows... GL is an "in crescendo" type while Franxx is a wavelength type. Basically, the shows build on the same classic structure, have different tones, pacing, but share some plot devices and settings, and yeah, some cultural references. There's no case standing for Franxx being a ripoff of GL, or, in the same manner, any other space opera anime. The same thing gets argued with the Lion King and Kimba or Matrix and Ghost in The Shell. It's complete nonsense.

Anyway, I'm done with you. You've clearly shown you have no ground to stand on. You even fail to see how "toxic" your demeanor is and just write it off with a childish "no, you're more". You know nothing about "writting" yet you go on about lecturing others. You're the living depiction of an obtuse toxic dimwit unable to realize when circumstances exceed oneself. You can have an opinion but if justified with illinformed facts, it becomes meaningless. You're capital letters rants are funny tough. Take the hint already and stop making a fool of yourself. People will read you.
Ok, you finally expanded on what the hell the 3 act structure is in literature...now actually try applying that to FranXX and Gurren Lagann in particular. You’re the one arguing and trying to put me down as a clueless halfwit. Enlighten me. Humor me. Actually showcase what you’re takking about and apply it for me and onlookers to see. Also, the “depiction, character development, climax” structure is —surprise surprise— not what I meant. I mean, now I actually know what you’re referring to (how the hell was I supposed to if you’re just gonna spout off terminology you claim to he related withot actually making the effort to relate them? Of course I’d assume that you meant the film 3 act stucture and that you were talking about how the idea of going to space for the final arc was my issue), I can still say that this applies to almost every story that has “character development” (most commonly when looking at individual episodes and especially episodic series more so that series with overarching narratives, which generally do still have them). If you assume that’s what I was basing everything of and saying that the use of this technique makes a show a ripoff, then almost every show or movie ever would he a ripoff by such flawed logic. It’s just a shame that has almost no bearibg on my original argument and what I feel FranXX took inspiration from and tried to build from poorly. Yea the idea of a shady organization isn’t inherently new (cuz then I’d call everything a ripoff of 1984 and find out that 1984 was a ripoff of a ripoff if a ripoff of a ripoff), but specifically private government figureheads trying to instigate a project using some biblical entity as part of thr lynchpin for merging humanity into one, that’s something many works have expressly and historically taken from Evangelion (assuming that wasn’t something Eva took from Ideon since I haven’t seen it). Yea FranXX does take that in a different direction with the idea that humanity should bexome one with a separate evil entity and not just become one in and of itself, but my point still stands that it took that idea and did it poorly. This isn’t about what literary device you refuse to link to the shows at hand, it’s about specific plot points. Tonal shifts? Again, I mention that in these shows, it doesn’t happen arc to arc, it happens scene to scene and sometimes episode to episode. If you can at least attempt to shoecsse otherwise, that would be great.

Funny how you call me toxic when all you’ve done is write me off, call me as many names as you can think of, condescend, antagonize, and belittle me, and just act like a white-knight spouting off terms he got from Wikipedia or his Lit 101 notes while only vaguely telling me said terms relate to Gainax and these shows in some way without actually telling me what ways they are like I’m telling you exactly what ways these shows are related. Irony had become an ironclad vowel! Excuse me for comparing your actions to that of a rabid fanboy who wants to sound smart citing off all the books he read and expecting me to fill in all the pieces myself without even getting much of an idea how they’re connected. I mean, now you tell me to read shit but again, that’s your joh as the argumentor to at least provide me a direct link or quote from, and again, if you read what I linked, I talked about the direct sequences of events (hell, I’ve done so in my previous comment) and how they are directly related. If they really were tropes and devices, there would be more shows and works of fiction doing those exact same events and sequences. If you’re gonna claim that they are, give me direct examples on the matter. Oh wait, that wouldn’t be vague enough to stop me from being “clueless”. Also, perhaps apply some devices from film and television, given that’s the medium this show is in...animated television. Also, I know when I’m being toxic. Unlike you, I have enough self-awareness to understand when I’m being a prick. If mocking your hateful attitude and behavior and criticizing a show you claim I have no business criticizing is toxic, then fuck, I’d hate to see what your actions would be labeled as.

Also, we’re clogging up this (admittedly dead) forum, so if you would be a dear and take this somewhere else, that’d be great.
CodeBlazeFateMar 11, 2019 6:20 AM
Jun 18, 2019 5:33 AM
Mar 2019
it was good but hey... zero two's blood at the end was red
RoneCraft

On-hold is another way for a completionist to say DROPPED

Jul 20, 2019 3:41 AM

Mar 2018
When your plot is too repetitive so you decided to suddenly change the direction of the show without proper build up.
Jul 20, 2019 3:42 AM

Mar 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
Aplope said:

Ok, you finally expanded on what the hell the 3 act structure is in literature...now actually try applying that to FranXX and Gurren Lagann in particular. You’re the one arguing and trying to put me down as a clueless halfwit. Enlighten me. Humor me. Actually showcase what you’re takking about and apply it for me and onlookers to see. Also, the “depiction, character development, climax” structure is —surprise surprise— not what I meant. I mean, now I actually know what you’re referring to (how the hell was I supposed to if you’re just gonna spout off terminology you claim to he related withot actually making the effort to relate them? Of course I’d assume that you meant the film 3 act stucture and that you were talking about how the idea of going to space for the final arc was my issue), I can still say that this applies to almost every story that has “character development” (most commonly when looking at individual episodes and especially episodic series more so that series with overarching narratives, which generally do still have them). If you assume that’s what I was basing everything of and saying that the use of this technique makes a show a ripoff, then almost every show or movie ever would he a ripoff by such flawed logic. It’s just a shame that has almost no bearibg on my original argument and what I feel FranXX took inspiration from and tried to build from poorly. Yea the idea of a shady organization isn’t inherently new (cuz then I’d call everything a ripoff of 1984 and find out that 1984 was a ripoff of a ripoff if a ripoff of a ripoff), but specifically private government figureheads trying to instigate a project using some biblical entity as part of thr lynchpin for merging humanity into one, that’s something many works have expressly and historically taken from Evangelion (assuming that wasn’t something Eva took from Ideon since I haven’t seen it). Yea FranXX does take that in a different direction with the idea that humanity should bexome one with a separate evil entity and not just become one in and of itself, but my point still stands that it took that idea and did it poorly. This isn’t about what literary device you refuse to link to the shows at hand, it’s about specific plot points. Tonal shifts? Again, I mention that in these shows, it doesn’t happen arc to arc, it happens scene to scene and sometimes episode to episode. If you can at least attempt to shoecsse otherwise, that would be great.

Funny how you call me toxic when all you’ve done is write me off, call me as many names as you can think of, condescend, antagonize, and belittle me, and just act like a white-knight spouting off terms he got from Wikipedia or his Lit 101 notes while only vaguely telling me said terms relate to Gainax and these shows in some way without actually telling me what ways they are like I’m telling you exactly what ways these shows are related. Irony had become an ironclad vowel! Excuse me for comparing your actions to that of a rabid fanboy who wants to sound smart citing off all the books he read and expecting me to fill in all the pieces myself without even getting much of an idea how they’re connected. I mean, now you tell me to read shit but again, that’s your joh as the argumentor to at least provide me a direct link or quote from, and again, if you read what I linked, I talked about the direct sequences of events (hell, I’ve done so in my previous comment) and how they are directly related. If they really were tropes and devices, there would be more shows and works of fiction doing those exact same events and sequences. If you’re gonna claim that they are, give me direct examples on the matter. Oh wait, that wouldn’t be vague enough to stop me from being “clueless”. Also, perhaps apply some devices from film and television, given that’s the medium this show is in...animated television. Also, I know when I’m being toxic. Unlike you, I have enough self-awareness to understand when I’m being a prick. If mocking your hateful attitude and behavior and criticizing a show you claim I have no business criticizing is toxic, then fuck, I’d hate to see what your actions would be labeled as.

Also, we’re clogging up this (admittedly dead) forum, so if you would be a dear and take this somewhere else, that’d be great.

Chill guys!! You're making me scroll so hard xD.
Jul 20, 2019 5:49 AM

Apr 2016
AniMEHLover said:
Chill guys!! You're making me scroll so hard xD.
The convo with that pretentious, toxic, elitist ass using one of the first books in history (I found out after the convo) as a reference to counter the idea of this show directly and poorly drawing from specific sources for plot points has long since ended...over 4 months ago.
Oct 7, 2019 6:32 PM

Sep 2016
This went TTGL and space phase so fast, LOL!

I can't say I'm not liking this though xD

Also Kokoro is pregnant. And both are regaining memories. Hell yeah
bruh
Oct 16, 2019 3:36 PM
Feb 2019
It was good until the middle of this episode, then the screenwriter started smoking weed, involved aliens from beyond, and spoiled the whole work with that horrible ending.
Jan 14, 2020 9:01 PM

Apr 2015
And this is why I love shows that Trigger studios is a part of. The twist right towards the end is what I love.
Mar 5, 2020 1:56 AM
Apr 2019
Ahh I see this is when everything fuked up
Apr 24, 2020 8:18 AM

Apr 2013
Well.... that escalated quickly. Suddenly we have aliens fighting the aliens... who apparently were actually the true residents of the earth? Purple vs Blue basically, seems like our cast is now completely irrelevant apart from the protagonist. Kinda meeeh tbh.
May 5, 2020 4:29 AM

Feb 2018
This series siimilar to NGE? I don't think so
May 14, 2020 5:45 AM

Jan 2013
W T F

Turns out APE are aliens and the Klaxosaurs were actually fighting them instead of fighting the humans.
Was really excited to learn more and more but to eventually find out it's just aliens fighting aliens now, was expecting a lot but definitely not this.

It's still a cool show though.
Jun 7, 2020 4:13 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I'm starting to fall off the track, what the hell is going in anymore? I dislike this idea of sudden alien plot twist, to be honest.
Jul 12, 2020 11:31 AM

Aug 2008
Well that was quite the asspull now wasn't it? Now instead of a human vs klaxosaur story we introduce... aliens? Twists don't mean do whatever you want and say "surprise!". A WTF? moment should have some grounding in the story previously, can't just be surprising. This episode was quite stupid.

So the queen grabs Hiro though she doesn't need a pilot? Just cause? I suppose he will have some ability to fight against the takeover of his FRANXX and free the queen to fight their new enemy? Zero Two is injured though she will need to play some part in all this. I have a bad feeling this show is only going to get dumber as we head to the end.
gswelcomeJul 12, 2020 4:30 PM
Jul 30, 2020 5:57 AM

Jun 2020
........ what....

why would they do this with like 4 episodes left

i loved this anime so much they just shit all over it WTF is this episode

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 16, 2020 8:59 AM
Jun 2020
damn cool ep, story turned out to be epic, I love it, hyped for next ep
Oct 11, 2020 8:33 AM

Aug 2018
wow, so the klaxosaurs were actually good all along? lmao

Dec 28, 2020 6:42 PM

Sep 2020
Wtf,i thought this was a normal robot fight,but ends up being evangelion ripoff,who is virm,why the end is so melodramatic,all i know just everlasting deppresion,why is the end is looks like a mega simp the ending also escalated too quickly

1/5
Jun 21, 2021 2:17 PM

Jun 2017
So this is the infamous episode huh? I already knew that aliens are going to be introduced thanks to the memes. But it was still disappointing and felt really rushed. Up until now, I have enjoyed this anime. I just hope that the last few episodes won't take that away.
Jun 24, 2021 8:18 AM

Feb 2021
Wtf is even going on? Shitload of unclear information is being thrown at us! So Papa and gang aren't modified humans but some otherworldly entity/group called VARM. Also humans aren't original inhabitants of earth? Klaxo sapiens were the original ones. Then why the fuck did they not appear for so long. They had a whole fucking underground civilization and stuff. Also Klaxosaurs have pilots too. But wasn't the queen the only Klaxo-sapien left? Wtf is it? Nothing is making sense to me anymore lol. I had overlooked at so many things from the start but no I can't. This had so much potential but has turned out to be aweful!
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Jun 25, 2021 9:37 PM

Jun 2020
And the mission is on seems a lot of klaxosaurs are up ahead and this is going to be a lot of trouble

The princess is the first I mean I didn't expect that to happen but damn she's powerful and that kiss really pissed of Zero Two

It's all going down at this point I don't even know what will happen this is quite the absurd battle they're fighting off.
Jun 28, 2021 8:34 AM

Apr 2021
Well a lot happened and now the planet is gonna explode or something...But anyway lets see how Hiro and the rest of em handle this
Aug 31, 2021 6:31 AM

Feb 2021
So many things happened, the real enemies are papa (invaders) Idk what else to say excited for next one
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

345 by Modek69 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2018

1502 by imsevlol »»
Oct 4, 6:47 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 5, 2018

367 by cloudalpha »»
Sep 30, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

647 by cloudalpha »»
Sep 30, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

363 by 143eitasasaki »»
Sep 21, 10:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.