Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Black Clover' Gets TV Anime Adaptation for 2017

New
Dec 17, 2016 8:13 PM

Nov 2011
It was announced at this year's Black Clover stage event as part of Jump Festa that the manga Black Clover will be receiving a TV anime adaptation. The series will be adapted by Studio Pierrot.

Synopsis
Asta and Yuno were abandoned together at the same church and have been inseparable since. As children, they promised that they would compete against each other to see who would become the next Emperor Magus. However, as they grew up, some differences between them became plain. Yuno was a genius with magic, with amazing power and control, while Asta could not use magic at all, and tried to make up for his lack by training physically. When they received their Grimoires at age 15, Yuno got a spectacular book with a four-leaf clover (most people receive a three-leaf-clover), while Asta received nothing at all. However, when Yuno was threatened, the truth about Asta's power was revealed, he received a five-leaf clover Grimoire, a "black clover!" Now the two friends are heading out in the world, both seeking the same goal! (Source: MangaHelpers, edited)

The series is drawn by Yuuki Tabata and began publishing in February 2015. It has been printed in English by VIZ Media as part of its Weekly Shounen Jump lineup. The series also received an event anime by Xebec that premiered on November 27.

Source: Otakomu

Black Clover (TV) on MAL
Sakana-sanDec 18, 2016 8:56 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 17, 2016 8:24 PM

Oct 2014
Finally.

Didn't like how Xebec handled the character designs in the OVA so glad it's not them. I'd much prefer a 1 or 2-cour series by BONES or Madhouse as opposed to Pierrot but I'm glad it's getting an anime adaptation nonetheless.

I predict it'll be a 50 episode series like Twin Star Exorcists is and given they've made filler arcs for that adaptation given the low chapter count, I don't have much hope that the Black Clover anime will be free of them either. 90 chapters might just be enough if they went with 2 chapters per episode, though I'm sure they'll pad some episodes out so it's just one chapter.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Asta's meeting with Fanzel and what happened with them was never covered in the manga (Novel only) So the anime could cover that if it reaches that point.

We'll have to see.
ETXDec 17, 2016 8:29 PM

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
Dec 17, 2016 8:41 PM

Jun 2014
I know a lot of people have called this a "Naruto ripoff" so now I get to see and judge for myself. I'm sure the only similarity they really share is probably the basic synopsis, and people are just blowing the "ripoff" thing out of proportion.

Stark700 said:
and will be adapted by studio Pierrot.

Oh no, this won't end well. Perhaps it shouldn't be too surprising though, assuming Naruto ends around the same time as Twin Star Exorcists (if they're even planning to end it), then it would make sense for them to jump on this and Boruto as replacements.

I really thought the studio would be A-1, I'm not upset that it's not them but seeing as how they've done other fantasy magic shounen (Fairy Tail, Magi, Nanatsu no Taizai) I thought maybe they'd pick this up. Please Pierrot, don't give us another Twin Star Exorcists.
thebrentinator24Dec 17, 2016 8:47 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Dec 17, 2016 9:04 PM

Dec 2014
I was expecting this to happen sooner or later, I like Black Clover so I'm looking forward to it.

Pierrot? Sigh, I hope they don't screw this up or even worse change everything like they did with Sousei.
Dec 17, 2016 9:07 PM

May 2014
Ugh Pierrot, there goes any chance of this series getting respect from the community. I know it's not gonna happen but I really hope Pierrot somehow decides not to be shitty.
Dec 17, 2016 9:08 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
With it getting a Jump Festa special, it was obvious that it'll get an anime. Even if it's a Naruto rip-off or not, I'll still watch it and may be it can be my guilty pleasu-

>sees Studio Pierrot as studio

Well, not what I was hoping for. Not only does that studio fill their long-running series will fillers, but also shorter series like Sousei no Onmyouji. That anime is half-filled with fillers, and it's only 50 episodes. I guess they'll do the same with Black Clover
Dec 17, 2016 9:10 PM

Mar 2015

all my yes...

but pierrot, at least not xebec who already ruin it character design... just hope not like sousei no onmyouji at least not as disaster like WT, that adaptation still give me trauma...

and since it's pierrot, i guess this will be another long run... i hope they adapted the novel too...

thebrentinator24 said:
I know a lot of people have called this a "Naruto ripoff" so now I get to see and judge for myself. I'm sure the only similarity they really share is probably the basic synopsis, and people are just blowing the "ripoff" thing out of proportion.

i think depend what you seek in naruto... for me it's not ripoff thou...

TheJaceX said:
Ugh Pierrot, there goes any chance of this series getting respect from the community. I know it's not gonna happen but I really hope Pierrot somehow decides not to be shitty.

if pierrot not being shitty, they can produce something like akatsuki no yoona or baby step... but since it's another jump adaptation... my expectation already put in the bottom...
KumaDec 18, 2016 12:07 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 17, 2016 9:11 PM

Oct 2015
Pierrot well pierrot
Dec 17, 2016 9:13 PM

Sep 2013
I for one like the anime original things they put in, keep up the good work Pierrot.
Might be 4 cour.
Dec 17, 2016 9:52 PM
Sep 2015
Well, pierrot huh. This is not going well. Half of it will be filler.
Dec 17, 2016 10:03 PM

Nov 2007
I am as excited as hearing the news of Super Lovers getting another OVA.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 17, 2016 10:31 PM

Mar 2012
Another mediocre shounen getting adaptation?
meh i'll pass.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Dec 17, 2016 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
Yaay been waiting for this!
Dec 18, 2016 12:13 AM

Mar 2015
Does this studio know their bad reputation, just curious?
Dec 18, 2016 12:35 AM

Apr 2014
kadiro said:

Lol they don't give a fuck what the western minority thinks about them and no they don't have a bad reputation in Japan.
Dec 18, 2016 12:37 AM

Dec 2015
Just do Bleach already Pierrot!!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 18, 2016 12:59 AM

Jul 2011
Studio Pierrot eh? Well Akatsuki no Yona actually turned out nicely in animation, but I'm salty af about Kingdom.

Black Clover is super generic in premise and main leads (so angsty), the anime's gunna need some pretty good execution to be worth anything...
Edit: Just read first 5 chapters. So predictable and cliche... I'll still check it out, but I wanted some decent shounen since it's been a while. D:
MirorinDec 18, 2016 1:08 AM
Dec 18, 2016 1:09 AM

Apr 2009
Expected. It also is more than average enough for Pierrot to feel at home.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Dec 18, 2016 3:06 AM

Jun 2008
I found the manga not too long ago, and i've been wanting an anime adaptions. So i'm looking forward to this :3
Dec 18, 2016 3:51 AM

Feb 2013
Nice hopefully this is another long running series, Pierrot definitely could do it
Dec 18, 2016 4:29 AM

Jul 2015
>pierrot
hope someday that studio bankrupt
Dec 18, 2016 4:34 AM

Jun 2014
This is exactly what this trash manga deserves.
:3
Dec 18, 2016 5:27 AM

Oct 2011
thebrentinator24 said:
I know a lot of people have called this a "Naruto ripoff" so now I get to see and judge for myself. I'm sure the only similarity they really share is probably the basic synopsis, and people are just blowing the "ripoff" thing out of proportion

Naruto? Since the very first chapter I've thought of this as an improved version of Fairy Tail. You have a trouble-making magic guild with comedic elements, i.e. FT with the ecchi scraped off to a bare minimum

Dec 18, 2016 5:46 AM
Sep 2015
.... studio pierrot..... they can only do it if they put everything in it. like naruto vs sasuke final battle
Dec 18, 2016 5:49 AM
Dec 2013
Yes! Been waiting for this to get an adaptation. Hope it's a longrunning anime. Glad it's Pierrot making it and not Toei.
Dec 18, 2016 5:53 AM
Aug 2015
ok

the pv had saito soma on it

so i might try it?
Dec 18, 2016 6:09 AM

Nov 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if this replaces Twin Star Exorcists next year for Spring. Prepare for fillers though.
Dec 18, 2016 6:55 AM

Sep 2015
alpha_shadow said:
This is exactly what this trash manga deserves.

I couldn't have said it better myself, nice one.
Dec 18, 2016 7:23 AM
Nov 2010
I don't expect much, but I will check it out.
Dec 18, 2016 7:35 AM

Apr 2011
Pierrot needs to realise that they're much, much better at making non-battle anime than they are at making battle-focused anime.

joe_g7 said:

Why? There's no reason, considering that the anime got canned due to terrible ratings and the manga, due to dwindling sales. Hell, that JUMP canned the manga is more than reason enough why they'd never bother to fund another anime series for it.
Dec 18, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2015
yhunata said:
joe_g7 said:

Why? There's no reason, considering that the anime got canned due to terrible ratings and the manga, due to dwindling sales. Hell, that JUMP canned the manga is more than reason enough why they'd never bother to fund another anime series for it.

That's just me hoping dude, I know it will probably never happen. But you're telling me that the silly 50 episode long Sousei no Onmyouji would sell better compared to Bleach?? I personally don't think so.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 18, 2016 8:19 AM

Apr 2011
joe_g7 said:
yhunata said:

That's just me hoping dude, I know it will probably never happen. But you're telling me that the silly 50 episode long Sousei no Onmyouji would sell better compared to Bleach?? I personally don't think so.

Hey, I'm just stating the facts here. Besides, they've got a contract and investments are usually always gonna be seen through unless it's an absolute flop.
Dec 18, 2016 8:20 AM

Jun 2014
yhunata said:

I GUARANTEE that Bleach gets another anime adaptation sometime in the next few years.
(x෴x)
Dec 18, 2016 8:25 AM

Apr 2011
ezutes said:
yhunata said:

I GUARANTEE that Bleach gets another anime adaptation sometime in the next few years.

Like I said, why? Anime is a business first and foremost. No businessman in his right mind would ever invest in a project that will not recover them their investment (or give them another advantage to offset the loss).

Besides, like I said, JUMP, the owner of the IP, has no faith in it. Why on Earth would they fund it? It could get a special or something to celebrate an anniversary, but even supposing that happens, that's likely gonna be all.
Dec 18, 2016 8:35 AM

Jun 2014
yhunata said:

Like I said, why? Anime is a business first and foremost. No businessman in his right mind would ever invest in a project that will not recover them their investment (or give them another advantage to offset the loss).

Besides, like I said, JUMP, the owner of the IP, has no faith in it. Why on Earth would they fund it? It could get a special or something to celebrate an anniversary, but even supposing that happens, that's likely gonna be all.

Bleach still has HUGE name recognition in Japan, even though its over now. Just because JUMP made Kubo end it early because of declining rating in the magazine doesn't mean that it won't get an adaptation.
(x෴x)
Dec 18, 2016 8:40 AM

Apr 2011
ezutes said:
yhunata said:

Bleach still has HUGE name recognition in Japan, even though its over now. Just because JUMP made Kubo end it early because of declining rating in the magazine doesn't mean that it won't get an adaptation.

Did you read? JUMP owns the IP. If they don't want to fund it, it's not getting made. No matter what. Not unless someone decided to buy the IP from them AND fund the anime as well, which I doubt will ever happen.
Dec 18, 2016 8:50 AM

Jun 2014
yhunata said:

Did you read? JUMP owns the IP. If they don't want to fund it, it's not getting made. No matter what. Not unless someone decided to buy the IP from them AND fund the anime as well, which I doubt will ever happen.

I know. But jump isn't gonna make ANY money, aside from old volume sales, if it doesn't get adapted again, and its not like they have worry about the adaptation "ruining" the manga, and I'm pretty sure it would be a better investment than half the adaptations they've been funding lately.
(x෴x)
Dec 18, 2016 8:55 AM

Apr 2011
ezutes said:
yhunata said:

I know. But jump isn't gonna make ANY money, aside from old volume sales, if it doesn't get adapted again, and its not like they have worry about the adaptation "ruining" the manga, and I'm pretty sure it would be a better investment than half the adaptations they've been funding lately.

They won't have any returns though. There's nothing to advertise, which is basically what anime adaptions are; glorified advertisements. Bleach isn't some special snowflake that they put down so they wouldn't have to see it decline any more. It's just another failure in a long list of failures.
Dec 18, 2016 9:01 AM

Jun 2014
yhunata said:

They won't have any returns though. There's nothing to advertise, which is basically what anime adaptions are; glorified advertisements. Bleach isn't some special snowflake that they put down so they wouldn't have to see it decline any more. It's just another failure in a long list of failures.

I think they'd make a lot of money, just from the anime, not even as an advertisement. Though, there would be a little boost in the manga's sales too.
(x෴x)
Dec 18, 2016 9:12 AM

Apr 2011
ezutes said:
yhunata said:

I think they'd make a lot of money, just from the anime, not even as an advertisement. Though, there would be a little boost in the manga's sales too.

Bleach's anime was cancelled due to bad ratings. Do you honestly think a new anime would suddenly get it OP-ratings?
Dec 18, 2016 9:55 AM

Mar 2015
Z4k said:
kadiro said:

Lol they don't give a fuck what the western minority thinks about them and no they don't have a bad reputation in Japan.

Oh.. i guess it's all good as long as they are satisfying their people.
Dec 18, 2016 11:14 AM

Jun 2014
uzee said:
thebrentinator24 said:
I know a lot of people have called this a "Naruto ripoff" so now I get to see and judge for myself. I'm sure the only similarity they really share is probably the basic synopsis, and people are just blowing the "ripoff" thing out of proportion

Naruto? Since the very first chapter I've thought of this as an improved version of Fairy Tail. You have a trouble-making magic guild with comedic elements, i.e. FT with the ecchi scraped off to a bare minimum

Well I know nothing about BC, I've just heard here and there that it's allegedly a Naruto ripoff. So I'm just going based off of what I've heard.
thebrentinator24Dec 18, 2016 11:22 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Dec 18, 2016 12:26 PM
Oct 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
I was expecting this to happen sooner or later, I like Black Clover so I'm looking forward to it.

Pierrot? Sigh, I hope they don't screw this up or even worse change everything like they did with Sousei.

GoldenDevilGamer said:
With it getting a Jump Festa special, it was obvious that it'll get an anime. Even if it's a Naruto rip-off or not, I'll still watch it and may be it can be my guilty pleasu-

>sees Studio Pierrot as studio

Well, not what I was hoping for. Not only does that studio fill their long-running series will fillers, but also shorter series like Sousei no Onmyouji. That anime is half-filled with fillers, and it's only 50 episodes. I guess they'll do the same with Black Clover

Twin Star Exorcist is a faithful to the manga, has only fill. And several fill-in chapters were created by the original author.

tragedydesu said:
>pierrot
hope someday that studio bankrupt

Pierrot has a great prestige in Japanese publishers and the companies that hire him.

It is most likely that ARMS study and Madhouse study will break down first.

Hamazura said:
Pierrot well pierrot

There are many animes that have stuffing and were not made by Pierrot studio.

The stuffing in an anime is the fault of Japanese publishers and Japanese TV channels, when they need quick advertising for their mangas or when on TV channel does not have a show in a time interval.
Dec 18, 2016 2:07 PM

Jun 2014
yhunata said:
ezutes said:

Bleach's anime was cancelled due to bad ratings. Do you honestly think a new anime would suddenly get it OP-ratings?

I think it would do better than twin star exorcists
(x෴x)
Dec 18, 2016 7:11 PM

Mar 2015
thebrentinator24 said:
uzee said:

Well I know nothing about BC, I've just heard here and there that it's allegedly a Naruto ripoff. So I'm just going based off of what I've heard.

everything about rivalries duo main character action shounen is called naruto ripp-off nowdays...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 18, 2016 7:52 PM

Jul 2010
I'm so thrilled to hear that because I really love the manga. Just hoping it will have decent seiyuus
Smile to the world and the world smiles back
Dec 19, 2016 1:37 AM

Nov 2012
Good news.
They couldn't do it without fillers, I think...
Dec 19, 2016 4:52 AM

Apr 2014
A shitty studio for an equally shitty series, it's like poetry. I always kinda secretly hoped the inevitable anime would be by Toei or Pierrot, just because I want to see just how bad the series can get. I get kind of an odd pleasure watching series like this that I don't like get fucked over...until it happens to a series I like then I suddenly start complaining. Lol, I'm terrible.
Dec 20, 2016 7:27 AM

Sep 2007
Great new for me.
Loving so much the manga. :)
Dec 21, 2016 11:35 AM

Mar 2016
I was very excited about an adaptation until I saw "Studio Pierro".

Well, I guess we should have a good opening at least (lol).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Salaryman ga Isekai ni Ittara Shitennou ni Natta Hanashi' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Second Promo for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

1 by gary598byers »»
11 minutes ago

» Webtoon 'The Beginning After The End' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Oct 19

32 by subahokke »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Watashi wo Tabetai, Hitodenashi' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Today

7 by uncleqrow »»
4 hours ago

» 'Ganbare! Nakamura-kun!!' Reveals Production Staff, Teaser Promo, 2025 Debut

DatRandomDude - Oct 18

10 by okamoto4 »»
7 hours ago

» Yukihiro Shibutani, Art Director of 'Natsume Yuujinchou', Dies at 63

Vindstot - Oct 16

13 by Aki-ari »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.