Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Those White Notes
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 31, 2021 9:42 PM

Jan 2020
Wow. Just wow. Definitely the best episode far. So much emotion packed into just one episode, it's truly astounding!

This might be a 9/10 for me. Just hoping that first episode bullshit won't be brought up again. It will bring the show back to an 8.
Jun 1, 2021 1:45 AM

Jun 2007
it was such an amazing episode man!
but like others have already stated, it's kinda infuriating that they magically managed to get their neat 3rd place+jury award all thanks to Setsu mainly and also Rai, and yet they are somehow still disappointed af. just so ridiculous. especially on Yui's part since apparently she is all "fuck shamisen after this competition ends".
also some are saying that it's a shame only boys stood out. i'm glad they did because Shuri is the worst player out of the bunch and Yui doesn't care about shamisen. how on earth they could 'stand out' like this, thank god they didn't.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jun 1, 2021 11:27 AM
Mar 2016
Am I the only one that found it extremely cringeworthy that they were crying over third place?! They are a bunch of rookies with only a few months experience compared to others who have been playing for years! Before the competition started I wasn’t even expecting them to place. Yes, I really enjoyed their performance and they had a lot of growth and did really well ... but even then I didn’t expect them to get as high as third place. Why do they suddenly think they’re better than everyone because they had one good performance? The other more experienced teams were so excited and grateful to even reach the top 6. It doesn’t make sense 🤦‍♀️
Jun 1, 2021 4:00 PM

Jun 2019
ineedjohn said:
Am I the only one that found it extremely cringeworthy that they were crying over third place?! They are a bunch of rookies with only a few months experience compared to others who have been playing for years! Before the competition started I wasn’t even expecting them to place. Yes, I really enjoyed their performance and they had a lot of growth and did really well ... but even then I didn’t expect them to get as high as third place. Why do they suddenly think they’re better than everyone because they had one good performance? The other more experienced teams were so excited and grateful to even reach the top 6. It doesn’t make sense 🤦‍♀️

I've seen this same mentality on display in a number of anime (can't think off the top of my head of all of them right now, but generally anything with high school students and any form of competitive anything) and I just wonder if it's a Japanese cultural thing or something. Like it's either a realistic representation of the "only #1", "all-or-nothing" mindset of the average Japanese high school student or it's a projection of that and reflects how competitive their families/society wants them to be and the types of morals and sentiments the manga and/or anime creators want to encourage and promote.
Jun 4, 2021 1:32 PM

Nov 2011
It was nice to see Setsu pissed off at the end. Shows how much he wanted to win but I feel like now he wants to win for his teammates more then himself.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jun 5, 2021 2:07 AM

Jan 2013
Oh, bugger off. This show is a joke. A team of complete amateurs wins the third place AND the Judges Special Award? Even battles in battle shounen have more plausibility. 'A mature anime about music' my ass.

It's the biggest disappointment of the season for me. If there is ever S2, I won't be watching.
Jun 6, 2021 2:52 AM
Oct 2019
i'm enjoying this. i like the music

but finishing 3rd is a reach. i could understand 5th or 6th, sure. but 3rd seems unlikely

i also feel like it's lacking some ...depth? idk, something. don't feel like the MC has really had to endure very much, overcome anything other than his grandfather passing away in the first episode (but everybody's grandfather passes away, that isn't something unique to him)

i think i should drop this from an 8/10 to a 7/10, for the reasons above
Jun 12, 2021 4:14 PM

Dec 2016
Their performance was really good. I think third place is actually quite an achievement for them considering three of them are complete rookies but the kind of performance they gave should deserve at least 2nd place but Maimai and Kaji's team were obviously better. To me that special award was the actual award. I agree with most of you, their placement was quite unrealistic. In reality 4th and 5th would've been more fitting but their performance was actually much better and sounded more refined than the rest who placed below 3rd.

I died 🤣🤣🤣
Rickydory123Jun 12, 2021 4:29 PM
Jun 18, 2021 5:56 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
3rd place isn't bad to be honest but of course they wanted to be first :x
Jun 19, 2021 1:24 AM

Aug 2018
Being in 3rd place was decent enough considering a group with 3 that new in playing shamisen its pretty understandable that its not their time yet to win in group competitions. Other members need to polish their skills more like the team that won 1st place,they were all sync together and did a flawless performance.

I like their performance and how it played out. Setsu which the best among all the members decide to be a support to others so their sound will become more balanced and spreadout also by adding some uniqeness on it unlike the other teams. If Setsu didnt do that their performace will be like Mai's team but better which they could at least be in 2nd place but he prioritize his other members instead of standing out.

Overall wonderful episode kinda remind of Kono Oto Tomare when Satowa's team performs.
Next is individual performance Im curious how really good that Souchi guy
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Aug 12, 2021 4:20 AM

Jul 2015
Great performance by Setsu's team with them scoring third and receiving the special judge award which is quite impressive knowing the team concist mostly of newbies.
Bit of a shock there at the end with Setsu saying his brother and perms friend aren't old enough to drink, meaning they are under 20 years old ?!?

Oct 23, 2021 9:40 PM
Mar 2012
3rd very good for rookie team. 'sings' well like Mai group but more together. Cool snowflake styles they taped on later but might've hurt coherence & they never practiced that way.
1st place marching band kinda boring so eh... lol idols who're also boring beat Arakawa's more unique ace & support. Sawamura lol his way with words.
Nov 15, 2021 8:22 PM

Sep 2020
Honestly I have come back to this episode too many times just for the performance just wish they didn't use the "inspirational music.mp3" over the performance
Feb 20, 2022 7:57 AM

Aug 2011
What an epic and emotional episode; the music was phenomenal. Setsu really brings out the best in those around him. Rai was impressive, dude's got skills.

Can't wait for the individuals.
Aug 18, 3:09 AM
Dec 2022
Just one point separates the top three placings. Now that is a close contest. Umezono gains a special award on top as well. Still they would have preferred a win but Mai's 2nd place is not what she wanted at all in order to show Setsu how good she is.
Aug 28, 5:44 PM
Feb 2020
It is one of the most amazing two episodes in the anime as a whole and I think it is one of my favorite animes
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2021

132 by rorocaqwe123 »»
Aug 28, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2021

46 by rorocaqwe123 »»
Aug 28, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2021

48 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Aug 18, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2021

50 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Aug 18, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

45 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Aug 18, 1:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.