Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 3, 2018 4:08 PM

Mar 2009
abystoma2 said:
SwordBreaker28 said:

Well I been a long time fan I even have the novels but I can speak for my self and i´m not disappointed sure it may not be like the original but if I wan´t the original I bloody watch the original I mean it´s that bloody hard is it to go back and watch the original.

Imagine if we could get something with same atmosphere and at least similar design as original, but with upgraded HD modern animation.

Well this show is proboly meant for new comers that wanna get in to the series like and introduction and not old farts like us. sure I enjoy it but that´s me

But then why not ask them to do a remake with morden animation if they have the budget to do 110 episodes or the will.
Apr 3, 2018 4:23 PM

Mar 2009
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
There are genuine complaints to be made and have been made all the time even in this very thread. But most of the time they are ignored and "the fanbase" is being made into an elitist strawman that just hates everything new.

The problem lies in most people rely sound snobby with all there criticisms well I be damn if you know how anime shall be made remake the shit your self is all I can think of. Yes the original rely great and cant stand for it self but I like this reboot im intrigued on how they will do it with that 12 episodes ?

I say people should try to say what they dislike with out the need to sound like they are some bloody experts on how anime is made and here is an idea why not take it with the creators like tell them what you don´t like about it. Criticism is supposed to be towards the creator how ells should they maybe better them self when every one complaining on a forum about it.

And I will tell you what allot of other people told me when I disliked something with eve online maybe the game is not for you so play something else. So yeah maybe the anime is not for you go watch something you like instead no one is stopping you.
Apr 3, 2018 7:00 PM

Sep 2015
RobinTheKing said:
So, you're telling me that [img]https://myanimelist.cdn-dena.com/images/characters/15/150579.jpg[img] this guy looks better in the old version?

yes!!! i mean look at his hair, don't you just want to twirl it?
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Apr 3, 2018 7:41 PM

Oct 2010
A comparison (with differences) for your consideration, draw your own conclusions:

Yamato 1974: 7.69
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1650/Uchuu_Senkan_Yamato

Yamato remake, 2012: 8.47
https://myanimelist.net/anime/12029/Uchuu_Senkan_Yamato_2199

With LOGH we have the reverse, from 9.11 to a current 7.32. The remake score will probably rise later, but likely not over 8.

I've seen Yamato fans complain about the CG in the remake, and I've also seen Yamato fans embrace the remake, even some of those who watched it in the 70's. I think one can assume that "messing with perfection" applies to LOGH more than it does to Yamato. I can't comment on quality of the CG in either case, as the only show I've seen so far out of all of this is Yamato 1974, and I will watch the entire original LOGH before eventually getting to the remake.

It would be interesting to see what the Yamato remake was rated early on. It was initially released theatrically and as an OVA, so mostly only dedicated Yamato fans would have been watching it at the time. Now, however, it's been rated by 20,000 users, whereas the old show has been rated by only 3,500 users. Meanwhile, the original LOGH's rating comes from 28,000 users, which is more than the total number of people who've even listed the LOGH remake as of today.
Apr 3, 2018 8:25 PM

Aug 2016
MAL is a free place, we can say whatever we want.
:v
Apr 3, 2018 8:28 PM
Nov 2013
DarkChaplain said:
The CGI is the absolute worst I've seen in years, sans Berserk. There's an overreliance on it, to the point where the 2D characters look very much pasted-in and don't even have 2D thrones anymore. The same exact CGI animation loop running in the background for a minute straight with the same laser intervals was jarring. The same studio has done much, much better work with CGI many years ago already, so here they really dropped the ball.

On top of that, it doesn't convey nearly the gravitas that the novels or the pilot episode of the OVA did. The first episode felt like a crawl and didn't even do half as much as the OVA did in one episode, and that's before considering that the first episode was purely on Reinhard's perspective. There was no tension in any of the action because it was purely one-sided with no actual view of the stakes.

And then there's the music, which was nondescript to a fault. The novel series always had a baroque feel to it, from names to the cultural impressions. There was none of that in the first episode so far.

For the record, my main source is the novel series. I adore it, and the OVAs did, with a few discrepancies, reasonably well adapting them. There are a few problems with the pacing of scenes here and there, which were relatively par for the course back then, but it captured the style of the books nicely.

I really, really wanted this adaptation to turn out well and been looking forward to it for years. When the character designs dropped I was disappointed in the generic look of the main cast, but still hoping for a good adaptation. But the choices they made with the perspectives, the CGI, the musical disappointment and the overall mood and absence of overhead views of the conflict in the pilot have me very, very pessimistic.

Did you read the novels in English? I have not been able to find a translation for all.
Apr 3, 2018 8:37 PM

Feb 2010
Haikasoru has been publishing them in ebook and print formats over the last few years. Book 6 is due mid-April. The first three also got audiobook editions on Audible.

Amazon or BookDepository should be able to deliver the print books to wherever with no hassle.
Apr 3, 2018 9:38 PM
Dec 2014
Im on the i dont like the og LoTGH bandwagon.
Apr 3, 2018 9:43 PM
Apr 2018
EratiK said:
Pretty sure the main reason is the bishounen character design.

I'm pretty sure the old one has a lot of bishounen too but this time is in somewhat high def.
Apr 4, 2018 1:52 AM

Jun 2014
RyuuSasakura12 said:
EratiK said:

I'm pretty sure the old one has a lot of bishounen too but this time is in somewhat high def.

The OVA is plenty bishounen. It's just 80's/early 90's bishounen style. Just look at Reinhardt, Julian and Kircheis.
Apr 4, 2018 2:27 AM
Aug 2012
EratiK said:

Tells more about those who play pretend and their unjustified grievances.

Just think about it - if this was the first instance of that character design in the history of anime, it would have gotten nothing but praise.

And that's because it's objectively great.

I've watched and loved the original, and so far Die Neue These meets my high expectations.

It's obvious they will have to cutback on 'slice of life' scenes such as Kircheis and Reinhard just talking about drinking wine (which was done great btw), instead of something like actually drinking it while having a long conversation. But that can't be helped in a 12 episode format.

If they manage to pull off the essence of it without butchering the most important aspects of it I'll be pleased.

From content to CGI (just try watching the old LotGH and its reused scenes), I haven't seen one sound argument to put down this series.

Someone even minded the "lack of classical soundtrack"... Were you sitting on your ears when the Yang Wen-li held his speech? Not to mention the bloody amazing main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlcdUAHXjkQ

If it didn't have anything to offer in return it would be another story, but it does.
Apr 4, 2018 3:12 AM

Feb 2013
SwordBreaker28 said:
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
There are genuine complaints to be made and have been made all the time even in this very thread. But most of the time they are ignored and "the fanbase" is being made into an elitist strawman that just hates everything new.

The problem lies in most people rely sound snobby with all there criticisms well I be damn if you know how anime shall be made remake the shit your self is all I can think of. Yes the original rely great and cant stand for it self but I like this reboot im intrigued on how they will do it with that 12 episodes ?

I say people should try to say what they dislike with out the need to sound like they are some bloody experts on how anime is made and here is an idea why not take it with the creators like tell them what you don´t like about it. Criticism is supposed to be towards the creator how ells should they maybe better them self when every one complaining on a forum about it.

And I will tell you what allot of other people told me when I disliked something with eve online maybe the game is not for you so play something else. So yeah maybe the anime is not for you go watch something you like instead no one is stopping you.

People are free to make criticism. Equaling criticism with hate is childish.

So what if some people sound snobby? Why do people focus only on those and ignore people who voiced good critique in a civilized manner? There is no attempt at coming to an understanding in these threads. Just people being snarky and dismissive. Nature of the internet I guess.

For example, the argument that the designs are too bishonen is dismissed because "the old characters were also bishonen". Really? Sure, Reinhard and Kircheis were. But what about the old Oberstein and Cazzelnu or even Yang? I bet this argument will be dismissed as well till the end of the series.
Apr 4, 2018 3:59 AM
Aug 2012
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
Why do people focus only on those and ignore people who voiced good critique in a civilized manner?

Maybe because there is no ground to make those judgments. After first episode the decent thing to do would be to express hopes, expectations or worries. Not verdicts.

Maybe the design, the music, the script etc. will flow great together even for them as the series goes on, that is, if they stop for a second and breathe the air instead of laying out rushed and unwarranted claims.
Apr 4, 2018 5:17 AM

Mar 2009
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
SwordBreaker28 said:

So what if some people sound snobby? Why do people focus only on those and ignore people who voiced good critique in a civilized manner? There is no attempt at coming to an understanding in these threads. Just people being snarky and dismissive. Nature of the internet I guess.

For example, the argument that the designs are too bishonen is dismissed because "the old characters were also bishonen". Really? Sure, Reinhard and Kircheis were. But what about the old Oberstein and Cazzelnu or even Yang? I bet this argument will be dismissed as well till the end of the series.

Yes people should be free to criticism but what the hell are we supposed to do about it ? it´s like yeah sure fine you don´t like it what the hell do you wan´t me to do about it ? Like why should I give a damn about something I can change I hear ya loud and clear but maybe take that criticism to the ones who need it.

Talking about childish behavior I can say the same about moaning about designs are too bishonen well you have 2 options to watch it or not to watch it.

Fine you did not like it well there are some people who does let them watch it if they want.

But mostly the child behavior comes in the from of people who hate it keeps nagging about it like they are trying to change peoples mind I hate it therefor you should hate it. Like This topic I saw some say like here is why I think you should not watch it. Well I can bloody think for my self let me watch and judge if it´s something I like. Sure do a review that is not only about you hating it and why people should not watch it say this is what I like and dislike I would recommend watch an episode and judge for your self.

So just because you and few other comes with valid criticism does not mean some haters are not childish.

Also what´s the big deal if it is a bit bishonen styled are you afraid you will turn gay if you watch it ? I mean how mature would I sound if I complained I hate Attack on titans because the style is ugly and reminds me of ren and stimpy and I don´t like that style? It´s sound more like something my daughter would say I don´t wanna watch this is looks to childish (like 1-2 year old childish) and shes 5.
Apr 4, 2018 5:27 AM

Feb 2015
EratiK said:

Even though the old character designs are clearly bishounen too? lol
I don't get the fans of LOGH.

It's not a remake of the dull looking OVA with tons of memeworthy dialogue, it's a new adaptation of the novel.

They even had fu*king sparkles and shi* to emphasize the prettiness and fabulousness.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Apr 4, 2018 5:29 AM

Feb 2015
zyke said:
Deus said:
What's the issue? If your precious old OVA is superior (and you know it even before this new adaptation starts airing), what's the issue with new adaptation's existence? If you don't like it, leave it and keep rewatching old one for decades to come.

It's not like this will harm anything, plus CGI looks great and designs are fine. Ships look good too. Basically its production quality is great, so just wait and see before getting triggered over a piece of fiction getting new anime adaptation.

Also, use novels for comparison, not the old series.

Cgi ships are just boring and characters look quite gay.

Ironic, considering the old series had a really bland and boring color scheme and the characters also looked ''quite gay''.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Apr 4, 2018 5:39 AM

Feb 2013
soredemoii said:
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
Why do people focus only on those and ignore people who voiced good critique in a civilized manner?

Maybe the design, the music, the script etc. will flow great together even for them as the series goes on, that is, if they stop for a second and breathe the air instead of laying out rushed and unwarranted claims.

I can agree with that. Despite some of my grievances there were things I enjoyed in the first episode. The mini-prologue with the narrator was great and I like how they showed the scale of the ships compared to the people and buildings on the planet. I also enjoyed the conversations where there was no music. The silence fits the space setting imo.

SwordBreaker28 said:
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:

Also what´s the big deal if it is a bit bishonen styled are you afraid you will turn gay if you watch it ? I mean how mature would I sound if I complained I hate Attack on titans because the style is ugly and reminds me of ren and stimpy and I don´t like that style? It´s sound more like something my daughter would say I don´t wanna watch this is looks to childish (like 1-2 year old childish) and shes 5.

Dude, Gravitation was one of my first anime I have seen and I loved it. So dont try to play that homophobia card.

Different types of stories require different artstyles. Digibro made good video about it, talking specifically about Logh OVA. I recommend watching it.

Apr 4, 2018 6:15 AM
Apr 2018
RobinTheKing said:
So, you're telling me that this guy looks better in the old version?

That's...not what he looks like in the new version. This is.

As somebody who has seen neither the original nor the OVAs (and never plans to - the character designs and animation are too 80s for me), this seems like a pretty good first episode. It's piqued my interest in the series and I'm planning on watching all 12 episodes based solely on its strength.

Edit: I will say the CGI is a bit jarring, though not so much as to detract from my enjoyment
Cal_RApr 4, 2018 6:35 AM
Apr 4, 2018 6:33 AM

Mar 2009
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
soredemoii said:

I can agree with that. Despite some of my grievances there were things I enjoyed in the first episode. The mini-prologue with the narrator was great and I like how they showed the scale of the ships compared to the people and buildings on the planet. I also enjoyed the conversations where there was no music. The silence fits the space setting imo.

SwordBreaker28 said:

Dude, Gravitation was one of my first anime I have seen and I loved it. So dont try to play that homophobia card.

Different types of stories require different artstyles. Digibro made good video about it, talking specifically about Logh OVA. I recommend watching it.

Why should I watch it I seen the orginal series I read the novel this is a reboot if it has a different design why should it batter for the 100000th time it is not the original it´s a fucking reboot why are people so gunho on the OAV it´s a reboot the reboot will always be different just like all the bloody reboot on spiderman.

I shall tell you the biggest reason why many of us who like it are pissed on all you others it´s because guys just are nitpicking it´s like your way way to sensitive and don´t seam to grasp the concept of reboot and sitting on a forum and critic and nit pick on everything is like why ? There is a reason why you can make your own reviews on this site do that. And if you feel you wanna share your hate over it do that in private with other who hate it but no we must tell the world why we hate it. To be honest even if your criticism is valid people sound more like people complaining about it.

I say check the forum have I made A single topic about why I hate Attack in titans and sword art ? nope I may have mention im not a fan but I don´t make a whole forum topic about it because that´s my opinion no need to tell every one I hate attack on titan and this is why you should not watch it I could do a review if I wanted but I don´t because first I did not like it and like a normal human I quit after giving it a chance.

Sure you can start a topic talking about it make a bloody discussion about this is bad this is good and what not but some people seam just to spew hate and anger No it´s not like the original and that makes me angry well fucking go watch the original.

And last it´s a Reboot just like Spider man has a new actor new origin story this show will have changes the creators want´s to make and some reboots has a different creator meaning he has a different vision and if it´s not what you like then don´t watch it so simple.

People may voice there opinion but it´s a bloody difference to voice once opinion and complain and bitch.

Now I think we will end this discussion because like all fucking humans on this planet people think different and some humans can´t live with that.

So I will leave it at this and I say to every one go make a review if you wanna show that your mature. Fighting on a forum who is right and wrong that´s childish no one is right or wrong here some people like it some don´t just live with it.

Also here is something shocking maybe the reboot with the new style is meant not for old school fans but maybe for a new audience maybe to get new and other people in to the series maybe that did not make this reboot for the old fans sake because.
SwordBreaker36Apr 4, 2018 6:45 AM
Apr 4, 2018 6:51 AM

Mar 2017
AiHikari said:
And why is the art so bad compared to the original. @@

And clarifying by art I mean the character designs. And more especifically the main characters, like Reinhard.
Reinhard looks fine. I love Yang Wen-li's design but hate Ruenthal's the most. Overall I dont think its that big of a deal.
zyke said:
Deus said:
What's the issue? If your precious old OVA is superior (and you know it even before this new adaptation starts airing), what's the issue with new adaptation's existence? If you don't like it, leave it and keep rewatching old one for decades to come.

It's not like this will harm anything, plus CGI looks great and designs are fine. Ships look good too. Basically its production quality is great, so just wait and see before getting triggered over a piece of fiction getting new anime adaptation.

Also, use novels for comparison, not the old series.

Having handsome characters means they look gay? I thought they looked really cool aside from Brunhild.
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Temujin26S said:

Yeah but the difference is those episodes of LOTG 1997 were guaranteed back then, the director in charge of the remake said it would depend on the sales of the 2018 show and movies if they continue adapting the novels. Thats why I said this type of new model doesn't really work well with long running series adaptions most eventually get left in limbo with titles that are not mainstream popular. Of course it's gonna compared it inevitable they are both adaptations of the same novel and it's a remake too they gonna be compared. That begs the question if it's a timeless classic and adapted the novel accurately and expanding it further why make remake another that did it perfectly.

Now if the original anime wasn't faithful to source material missed ton of information and plot points then you would have a point.

This new first episode is adapting the first prequel movie, which is already different from the original. This new season will probably adapt the prequel movies and the first novel. Which is bad in terms of content since the beginning of LOTGH is probably the slowest part. But at the same time it already has a well-established fanbase, and of all the remakes coming out this season this one is probably the most anticipated. People are gonna hate this show regardless of how good/bad it is, but I'm fairly certain it will get renewed for another season. I agree the 12-episode release hurts this show, but it's a good way to keep high quality. And if they get a positive response by testing the waters this season, maybe the next series will be 24-26 episodes long like with BNHA.
You have to remember the level of violence theyre allowed to show on TV is limited which must why theyre opting for movies for when things pick up.
Apr 4, 2018 8:33 AM

Oct 2015
that moment you just watching this series because Sawano Hiroyuki ....
Apr 4, 2018 8:38 AM

Dec 2016
The character look awful, the pacing is awful and they cut content like the fact that Lohengramm already know Yang because of the el facil case.
For me that change character relation from start.
Apr 4, 2018 9:10 AM

Apr 2015
Air-117 said:
AiHikari said:
And why is the art so bad compared to the original. @@

And clarifying by art I mean the character designs. And more especifically the main characters, like Reinhard.
Reinhard looks fine. I love Yang Wen-li's design but hate Ruenthal's the most. Overall I dont think its that big of a deal.
zyke said:

Having handsome characters means they look gay? I thought they looked really cool aside from Brunhild.
AvidAnimeViewer said:

This new first episode is adapting the first prequel movie, which is already different from the original. This new season will probably adapt the prequel movies and the first novel. Which is bad in terms of content since the beginning of LOTGH is probably the slowest part. But at the same time it already has a well-established fanbase, and of all the remakes coming out this season this one is probably the most anticipated. People are gonna hate this show regardless of how good/bad it is, but I'm fairly certain it will get renewed for another season. I agree the 12-episode release hurts this show, but it's a good way to keep high quality. And if they get a positive response by testing the waters this season, maybe the next series will be 24-26 episodes long like with BNHA.
You have to remember the level of violence theyre allowed to show on TV is limited which must why theyre opting for movies for when things pick up.
Im all in for gay shit when im looking for it, but i didnt start watching show about space, politics and war only to have handsome guys shoved at my face. More mundane character design was better. Its like watching weather forecasting only to have half naked women telling how moist it is.
Apr 4, 2018 9:54 AM
Jan 2017
SwordBreaker28 said:
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:

Why should I watch it I seen the orginal series I read the novel this is a reboot if it has a different design why should it batter for the 100000th time it is not the original it´s a fucking reboot why are people so gunho on the OAV it´s a reboot the reboot will always be different just like all the bloody reboot on spiderman.

I shall tell you the biggest reason why many of us who like it are pissed on all you others it´s because guys just are nitpicking it´s like your way way to sensitive and don´t seam to grasp the concept of reboot and sitting on a forum and critic and nit pick on everything is like why ? There is a reason why you can make your own reviews on this site do that. And if you feel you wanna share your hate over it do that in private with other who hate it but no we must tell the world why we hate it. To be honest even if your criticism is valid people sound more like people complaining about it.

I say check the forum have I made A single topic about why I hate Attack in titans and sword art ? nope I may have mention im not a fan but I don´t make a whole forum topic about it because that´s my opinion no need to tell every one I hate attack on titan and this is why you should not watch it I could do a review if I wanted but I don´t because first I did not like it and like a normal human I quit after giving it a chance.

Sure you can start a topic talking about it make a bloody discussion about this is bad this is good and what not but some people seam just to spew hate and anger No it´s not like the original and that makes me angry well fucking go watch the original.

And last it´s a Reboot just like Spider man has a new actor new origin story this show will have changes the creators want´s to make and some reboots has a different creator meaning he has a different vision and if it´s not what you like then don´t watch it so simple.

People may voice there opinion but it´s a bloody difference to voice once opinion and complain and bitch.

Now I think we will end this discussion because like all fucking humans on this planet people think different and some humans can´t live with that.

So I will leave it at this and I say to every one go make a review if you wanna show that your mature. Fighting on a forum who is right and wrong that´s childish no one is right or wrong here some people like it some don´t just live with it.

Also here is something shocking maybe the reboot with the new style is meant not for old school fans but maybe for a new audience maybe to get new and other people in to the series maybe that did not make this reboot for the old fans sake because.

Your just as toxic as people who are complaining plus swearing doesn't make your argument better. This why anime community in general is not taking seriously, having a critique of something means your hating now and means you shouldn't watch it that is stupidy at it's finest. Your prime example of a fanboy.
Temujin26SApr 4, 2018 10:41 AM
Apr 4, 2018 9:56 AM

Mar 2012
I blame Fujoshi audience by forcing the creators to change the character design.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Apr 4, 2018 10:26 AM

Mar 2017
Gridley said:
I blame Fujoshi audience by forcing the creators to change the character design.
I love them for funding this show in the first place.
Apr 4, 2018 11:25 AM

Aug 2015
Temujin26S said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:

Your missed my point after 2018 tv show, they adapting the rest of the first novel content with three movies. There's no guarantee there's be more material adapted after this yes LOTH has it's dedicated fanbase but it's not everybody's cup tea.

Actually the movies are going to be the "second season", with 3 films of 4 episodes each. So there will be more material adapted, but those films are coming out in 2019. That's why I was saying the season airing now is more important for establishing a fanbase.

And yes, LOTGH isn't for everyone, but it's vastly different from what's the current trend now, and people do want to see something different. It wasn't just the heavy, sci-fi fans in Japan who bought the OVAs back in the day. The novel series, the prequel movies, and side-stories were all well-received. As long as they don't fuck up this new one, it should draw in new audience members as well.
Apr 4, 2018 11:36 AM

Jun 2011
Imagine this. If the characters of the old OVA's ever saw this new adaptation, they'd all be pretty impressed at how it looks now. Yang and Reinhard will be totally cool with this.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Apr 4, 2018 2:32 PM

Aug 2016
I just watched the first episode and I'm really surprised with all the hate. Yes, I prefer the old designs, but i care more about a story than I do with the presentation and I think this version compared to when I viewed the first episode of the older series awhile back, this version so far, in my opinion, presented itself a lot more better. Most fan bases will be like this unfortunately for reboots. There's always some sort of controversies. But look on the bright side, the new figures stick to their roots.
Apr 4, 2018 6:19 PM
Jan 2017
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Temujin26S said:

Your missed my point after 2018 tv show, they adapting the rest of the first novel content with three movies. There's no guarantee there's be more material adapted after this yes LOTH has it's dedicated fanbase but it's not everybody's cup tea.

Actually the movies are going to be the "second season", with 3 films of 4 episodes each. So there will be more material adapted, but those films are coming out in 2019. That's why I was saying the season airing now is more important for establishing a fanbase.

And yes, LOTGH isn't for everyone, but it's vastly different from what's the current trend now, and people do want to see something different. It wasn't just the heavy, sci-fi fans in Japan who bought the OVAs back in the day. The novel series, the prequel movies, and side-stories were all well-received. As long as they don't fuck up this new one, it should draw in new audience members as well.

Your still not getting my point the 2018 series and movies are adapting the first novel, anything being adapted after that will depend on the how well it does sales wise. Popularity doesn't necessarily translate to sales and the anime market is much different than it used to be. You think people want something different but the market showing something completely different.
Temujin26SApr 4, 2018 6:22 PM
Apr 4, 2018 7:02 PM

Mar 2017
Some of the hate is probably justified but I think a lot of it falls under 'It's one episode, wait a couple episodes before you pass judgment'.

Like, can anyone really say the first two episodes of the original series were, uhh, good? The animation for the battle of Astate was frankly terrible. The narrative pace was absolutely glacial. There's not enough good dialogue to care about the dozen or so characters we're introduced to (who was that Lapp guy again?). Good thing MAL loves LoGH or I would have dropped it and missed out on a fantastic show.

The worst part of the original is the poorly animated battle sequences. Sure there's a lot of 3D in the new series but it's still a huge improvement over hundreds of grainy specks and lasers that seem to instantly materialize as textureless red pool cues. Based on that, I'm willing to give episode one the benefit of the doubt. Chill out folks.
Apr 4, 2018 11:40 PM

Aug 2015
Temujin26S said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:

Your still not getting my point the 2018 series and movies are adapting the first novel, anything being adapted after that will depend on the how well it does sales wise. Popularity doesn't necessarily translate to sales and the anime market is much different than it used to be. You think people want something different but the market showing something completely different.

I haven't seen anywhere that the movies are finishing adapting the first novel, where are you getting this? I guess it makes sense since it'd take like 7-8 episodes just to re-adapt the prequel movies, but then it feels like the movies would be getting into the second book as well, which they might.

And in regards to the anime market, I don't know what other merch LOTGH will be selling, but I assume it just won't be dependent on BD/DVD sales. Idk how much needs to be sold to constitute another series being made, but they have until 2020 to amass money and know whether or not it's worth it for another season. And if this series is good, I believe it should make that money back if not profit. The original LOTGH was also going against what was popular at the time, but it managed to be successful. Also, what's popular now (idol and other multimedia projects/anime) rake in insane amounts of money. They're the minority and not good comparisons for the rest of the majority in terms of sales.
AvidAnimeViewerApr 4, 2018 11:52 PM
Apr 5, 2018 8:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ahegyao said:
Imagine this. If the characters of the old OVA's ever saw this new adaptation, they'd all be pretty impressed at how it looks now. Yang and Reinhard will be totally cool with this.

Dont know about Reinhardt, but Yang would totally grab himself a chair, put his legs on the table, drink a cup of nice tea with a shot of rum in it and chill while watching it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 5, 2018 9:42 AM
Sep 2016
Right now I just see the LoGH elitists and Tokyo ghoul re manga readers as one and the same
(although surprisingly the TG fans have way more sensible reasons concerning the characters and story)

But don't get me wrong... I love it.. It's hella entertaining seeing people who feel they know everything rip the hell out of an anime... Makes me look forward to these comment sections XD
(Heck.. I'll be joining them if they screw with Steins gate XD)

What was it?... Something something ewww bAD cHaraCter DesiGns.. The WoRst!!... Filthy anime casuals actually thinking this is good without seeing the original...psssh... //insert random statement about anime fans or the industry I thought up in like 10 seconds//...Revel at my intellectual critique (which is definitely not an overblown hate comment BTW)..buncha trash taste Normies...reeeeeeee
JudoJDApr 5, 2018 10:11 AM
1.1.Six
Apr 5, 2018 2:01 PM
Jan 2017
Honestly this ain't bad. The character designs are different from the ova series though it was expected. This version is supposed to tell the story in a different way so why even compare it to the original? The animation is beautiful imo. Really looking forward to this series.
Apr 5, 2018 2:34 PM
Jan 2017
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Temujin26S said:

I haven't seen anywhere that the movies are finishing adapting the first novel, where are you getting this? I guess it makes sense since it'd take like 7-8 episodes just to re-adapt the prequel movies, but then it feels like the movies would be getting into the second book as well, which they might.

And in regards to the anime market, I don't know what other merch LOTGH will be selling, but I assume it just won't be dependent on BD/DVD sales. Idk how much needs to be sold to constitute another series being made, but they have until 2020 to amass money and know whether or not it's worth it for another season. And if this series is good, I believe it should make that money back if not profit. The original LOTGH was also going against what was popular at the time, but it managed to be successful. Also, what's popular now (idol and other multimedia projects/anime) rake in insane amounts of money. They're the minority and not good comparisons for the rest of the majority in terms of sales.

From what I read somewhere that seems to be the plan, plus these are not manga chapters being adapted it's novels which contain heavy material. Yeah your right it won't probably rely on just bluray sales, I have no doubt this will be good (this season) whether that will translate to enough sales to justify another season we have to wait and see especially the way the anime market is.
Apr 5, 2018 2:55 PM

Aug 2015
Temujin26S said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:

From what I read somewhere that seems to be the plan, plus these are not manga chapters being adapted it's novels which contain heavy material. Yeah your right it won't probably rely on just bluray sales, I have no doubt this will be good (this season) whether that will translate to enough sales to justify another season we have to wait and see especially the way the anime market is.

Only the first episode has come out so it's too early to make predictions on how well it'll do, or if it's any good. I'm not even expecting it to be great, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.
Apr 5, 2018 3:17 PM
Mar 2017
i can understand why people like the older graphics there more comforting
Apr 5, 2018 3:17 PM
Jan 2017
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Temujin26S said:

Only the first episode has come out so it's too early to make predictions on how well it'll do, or if it's any good. I'm not even expecting it to be great, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

I very much agree, i'm sure anybody that likes it enough will watch the old series and old movies to supplement with the new one
Temujin26SApr 6, 2018 12:32 PM
Apr 5, 2018 4:04 PM
Aug 2012
The Original is superior, it has better character design, better voice actors and most of all it actually feels like a war.

This is not a haters gonna hate moment, they can't even get Reinhardt's hair right!
Apr 5, 2018 6:05 PM
Apr 5, 2018 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
Because using CGI isn't what anime is and the fact that everyone looks the same goes to show how lazy animators are when using CGI.
Apr 5, 2018 6:59 PM
Jan 2016
Because it exists. Not a surprise, really.
Apr 5, 2018 7:39 PM

Jul 2015
QWERTYFish25 said:
I 12 episode adaptation of what was a 110 series not including OVAs?
the plan is for a cour per novel
Sup...
Apr 6, 2018 4:34 AM
Apr 2018
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Temujin26S said:
Someone who hasn't watched the original looking at the production, time and money spent on the original adaption. I think the new anime model of adapting small amount episodes doesn't seem like it well bode well with this type of grandiose story.

I would be easy for me who hasn't seen the original anime to say old fans are complaining but I understand where there coming.

The old LOTGH OVA series was released over the course of 9 years in 110 episodes. If a 12 episode season of the new LOTGH came out each year, then it would reach 110 episodes in about 9 years. So we could potentially be waiting the same amount of time as fans did back then for the series to end. Maybe even shorter if they make a new series every 2 anime seasons.

But the original really is a timeless classic that can't be compared to this new one for many reasons. This new series starts off similarly to the old one (proving that Reinhardt and Yang are badasses), but it's not going to be a 1-to-1 replication of the old series.

It's a new adaptation that is fairly consistent in the material. Of course you must not compare it to the OVA's it's an OVA for a reason for example in this version Yang is with Lao in Astarte but in the OVA Yang is with Attenborough and Lao's role is remove.
Apr 6, 2018 4:56 AM
Apr 2018
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Temujin26S said:

Yeah but the difference is those episodes of LOTG 1997 were guaranteed back then, the director in charge of the remake said it would depend on the sales of the 2018 show and movies if they continue adapting the novels. Thats why I said this type of new model doesn't really work well with long running series adaptions most eventually get left in limbo with titles that are not mainstream popular. Of course it's gonna compared it inevitable they are both adaptations of the same novel and it's a remake too they gonna be compared. That begs the question if it's a timeless classic and adapted the novel accurately and expanding it further why make remake another that did it perfectly.

Now if the original anime wasn't faithful to source material missed ton of information and plot points then you would have a point.

I don't get your point here. The movie you are talking Overture to a new war is an adaptation of some chapters of the gaiden novel and chapters 2 and 3 of the novel since chapter 1 is just an explanation of the history of the galaxy with that you lost your right to debate about this. Moreover the movie you are taking about is of course different from the OVA because the movie stayed faithful in the material which and in the OVA as I said in my previous comment it's called an OVA for a reason. Try to read the novel before commenting again. And in your previous comment you said that the adaptation is with 3 movies and what's is wrong with that in the OVA the first novel is adapted in 16 episodes only.
Apr 6, 2018 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
Compared to both the original and the source material (and even as a standalone entity), it's an insult. The character designs for a lot of the main characters (such as Reinhard and Kircheis) look like generic fujoshit character designs, and the writing is dumbed down dramatically. They skipped a lot of important dialogue from various main characters already (as of the first episode). Phezzan was merely namedropped, the stuff between Yang and his friend wasn't shown, Annerose wasn't shown, etc.

Apr 6, 2018 7:51 AM

Jan 2011
SenpaiJay98 said:
QWERTYFish25 said:
I 12 episode adaptation of what was a 110 series not including OVAs?
the plan is for a cour per novel

Ah, ok. I haven't watched the original but perhaps I'll take a shot at it.
Apr 6, 2018 6:24 PM
Apr 2018
Faederwulf said:
Compared to both the original and the source material (and even as a standalone entity), it's an insult. The character designs for a lot of the main characters (such as Reinhard and Kircheis) look like generic fujoshit character designs, and the writing is dumbed down dramatically. They skipped a lot of important dialogue from various main characters already (as of the first episode). Phezzan was merely namedropped, the stuff between Yang and his friend wasn't shown, Annerose wasn't shown, etc.

Annerose wasn't in Chapters 1 and 2 of the original novel. She will only be introduce properly in chapter 3. Now the prologue The History of the Galaxy I don't think that it is good to adapt that one because it's mainly the whole history how the Galactic Empire, FPA and Phezzan was formed.

Even in chapter 2 Phezzan wasn't even mentioned. It will be mentioned in Chapter 3 when Rubinsky is introduced then they will review the battle of Astarte. Now they do justice to Phezzan because when it was introduced properly it is I quote "Plant life had never existed there, there wasn't much water either... have not yet turned the landscape into fertile verdant fields" as you mentioned Phezzan was namely namedropped did you notice that Phezzan when shown is like a dessert world?

Please read the novel.
Apr 8, 2018 12:51 PM

Oct 2012
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:

Farabeuf said:
I'm actually seeing more of a "bash the elitists" bandwagon than a "hater bandwagon" for this show. Just look at the state of this thread...

This. It's getting very tiring seeing people come here and call the community elitist when most have solid reasons for disliking the new adaptation. I have no objections if new fans come as a result.

I will still give this a chance but I find the character designs bad. Yes, real bad. Not bad because it is new and different. It's new and different in a bad way. It matters just as how Berserk mattered when it had lazy CGI. I'm hoping everything else carries it.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.