Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 8, 2017 6:49 PM

Jan 2011
You know with a good budget, more concise storytelling, and script this could really be a treat for the spring season. I mean it has its moments but the main thing that seems to bog it down is the persistent dogma of all characterization, seems to revolve around the MC and not even in a way that mutually respects the characters, they seem to be like tokens for him to collect and that's it. The most tolerable was with the bear girl because it seemed to appear like a genuine admiration. The others just seem to get moist by him beating them and that's it. Feels real familiar. Now we barely get to see the "most powerful" of the five swords perform and it's interrupted be Nomura, comfortably so but eh.

talentlessash said:
Gsimp said:

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. She's so damn OP, it's a if instead of having Raditz as the first opponent in DBZ, you start out with Buu in his final form, just way too out of place.
It'd be alright if she was just the strongest, but the scaling is insane. Every single person the MC fought hard to defeat, not only gets taken out in 1 or 2 hits, but she is also invulnerable to all of their attacks.
Just the thought that every single, incredibly tough fighter that this series has, can't even cut her while ganging up on her with weapons is too much.

It really is like Dragon Ball, when one character is somewhat stronger, they just become invincible to every other character.

I think this fits the Wharf effect perfectly. I mean it's no biggie to display the difference in power to ad tension but this did nothing for that. While the MC did get caught up it was mostly thanks to a handicap (at least in the "monster" girl's case) beyond that he was just too non chalant about it. There was no struggle about it considering how the MC personality wise mostly just breezed through it (and we see him get tooled by Amou in a flashback). No real tension.
QWERTYFish25Jun 8, 2017 6:53 PM
Jun 8, 2017 8:32 PM

Nov 2011
So Inaba just accepts Nomura just like that lol. Well if it means getting to Nomura vs Amou quicker im okay with it.

This anime got pretty savage pretty quick btw lol.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jun 8, 2017 8:47 PM

Oct 2013
Amou's whole body is a sword....
>I AM THE BONE OF MY SWORD.

The Empress is cool. I like her, she's merciless.
Jun 8, 2017 9:42 PM
Jul 2012
Amou's martial art reminds me of Shichika's martial art style; Kyouto-ryuu from Katanagatari. Both consists of training the body to become harder than steel and becoming the sword with your strikes. Although it seems that Amou's style mostly consists of blocking and countering attacks, lacking the much flexibility which may be the method to beating her.
Jun 8, 2017 11:18 PM

Dec 2015
I'm tired of all these technique names, it breaks the flow of whatever pathetic action this anime has.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 9, 2017 12:17 AM
Oct 2016
seconds_to_dere said:
PriestSlayer said:
He has technically beaten into submission every girl who gave him shit thus far if you look at it in a different light.

Yeah he beat Onigawara and blonde girl yet they still torture him and he let them do so (regardless of intentions) "submission"

He didn't even fight the girl with a bear

Lost to Tsukuyo in a pathetic passion instantly even ran off like a sore loser, spouting what Tsukuyo shouldn't and should do like he's Mr. Know-it-all

He let them torture him to get in the girl's dorm
He didn't fight with Warabi because he was busy fighting with a literally bear
He ran off because Amou was doing something strange and he needed to find her immediately
Jun 9, 2017 3:01 AM

Dec 2009
Well that was a bullshit twist... Why is iai battou jutsu girl defeated by hax woman? Granted a little girl would need a lighter blade for her speed...
GenesisAriaJun 9, 2017 1:40 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jun 9, 2017 4:18 AM

Mar 2011
seems like Amou is crazy in love with Nomura and wants him all to herself. whether she realizes it or not is a different story. judging from the next episode title we'll likely found out what happened in their past
Jun 9, 2017 5:11 AM

May 2016
Ahhh they cut it in the best moment
Jun 9, 2017 7:16 AM
Aug 2011
Amou too op pls nerf.
Jun 9, 2017 12:38 PM

Jan 2011
joe_g7 said:
I'm tired of all these technique names, it breaks the flow of whatever pathetic action this anime has.

I mean there has got to be a way to insert these things mid action. Breaking down history lessons in a 22 minute format just ain't working.

GenesisAria said:
Well that was a bullshit twist... Why is iai battou jutsu girl defeated by hax woman? Granted a little girl would need a lighter blade for speed...

I feel this is bullshit because to garner that extent of swordsmanship would require someone to be hella strong physically. I mean I've held a mock swords and to swing that or even draw that at half the speed any swordsman would requires some level of muscle control and training
Jun 9, 2017 1:39 PM

Dec 2009
QWERTYFish25 said:
GenesisAria said:
Well that was a bullshit twist... Why is iai battou jutsu girl defeated by hax woman? Granted a little girl would need a lighter blade for speed...
I feel this is bullshit because to garner that extent of swordsmanship would require someone to be hella strong physically. I mean I've held a mock swords and to swing that or even draw that at half the speed any swordsman would requires some level of muscle control and training
The lighter the blade, the faster you can be. She's lightning fast (faster than real iaijutsu) because the sword is light. Mass in motion takes equivalent energy to it's potential from movement to stop, and up to double to change direction.

F=mv

Most of the "instant" of iaijutsu is similar to what magicians take advantage of, being faster than your reflexes and cognitive processing time (which you must discipline extremely to de-clutter and increase efficiency of the mind to track), but not literally faster than the eye can see. Being that fast with a decent sized steel blade is a bit hyperbole.
GenesisAriaJun 9, 2017 6:57 PM

Jun 9, 2017 2:49 PM

Jan 2011
GenesisAria said:
QWERTYFish25 said:
The lighter the blade, the faster you can be. She's lightning fast (faster than real iaijutsu) because the sword is light. Mass in motion takes equivalent energy to it's potential from movement to stop, and up to double to change direction.

F=mv

Most of the "instant" of iaijutsu is similar to what magicians take advantage of, being faster than your reflexes and cognitive processing time (which you much discipline extremely to de-clutter and increase efficiency of the mind to track), but not literally faster than the eye can see. Being that fast with a decent sized steel blade is a bit hyperbole.

Ok, that makes sense, this would give her optimal speed while still being effective.
Jun 9, 2017 4:08 PM

May 2015
Tsukuyo is damn adorable.

Quite the intense episode this time.

Jun 9, 2017 4:54 PM

Dec 2016
tsukuyo is Triple KKK mafia on the block boys.

Cutting nibbers cutting nibbers (please stop) slashing nibbers slashing nibbers (please stop) tsukuyo riding a car and (tire breaks) and sees the hood on the side walk and (tire breaks) slash dem nibbas in 3.14 pieces
waldexJun 9, 2017 4:59 PM
Jun 9, 2017 5:29 PM

Jan 2011
waldex said:
tsukuyo is Triple KKK mafia on the block boys.

Cutting nibbers cutting nibbers (please stop) slashing nibbers slashing nibbers (please stop) tsukuyo riding a car and (tire breaks) and sees the hood on the side walk and (tire breaks) slash dem nibbas in 3.14 pieces

fuckinggoddamncharacterlimit

QWERTYFish25Jun 9, 2017 5:33 PM
Jun 9, 2017 6:23 PM

Dec 2015
QWERTYFish25 said:
I mean there has got to be a way to insert these things mid action. Breaking down history lessons in a 22 minute format just ain't working.
Can you imagine other action anime like Gurren Lagann or Akame ga Kill pausing after every slash or evasion just to tell you which technique they used? No, it was a bad idea to include this, and it was an even worse idea to pause after every move to write in big letters what happened.
Jun 9, 2017 6:49 PM

Jan 2011
joe_g7 said:
QWERTYFish25 said:
Can you imagine other action anime like Gurren Lagann or Akame ga Kill pausing after every slash or evasion just to tell you which technique they used? No, it was a bad idea to include this, and it was an even worse idea to pause after every move to write in big letters what happened.
I would suspect something along the lines of 52 episodes.
Jun 9, 2017 10:53 PM

May 2017
SofM said:
seconds_to_dere said:

Yeah he beat Onigawara and blonde girl yet they still torture him and he let them do so (regardless of intentions) "submission"

He didn't even fight the girl with a bear

Lost to Tsukuyo in a pathetic passion instantly even ran off like a sore loser, spouting what Tsukuyo shouldn't and should do like he's Mr. Know-it-all

He let them torture him to get in the girl's dorm
He didn't fight with Warabi because he was busy fighting with a literally bear
He ran off because Amou was doing something strange and he needed to find her immediately

Nah he has no pride and that's exactly what's lame about him, he's so generic
Jun 10, 2017 7:56 AM

Dec 2009
@QWERTYFish25
joe_g7 said:
QWERTYFish25 said:
I like it when they can manage to squeeze at least bits and pieces of explanations, or lines that sound like they come from expertise, without breaking from the pacing.

Many people don't realize how different Japanese swordplay can be from western, especially outside of army warfare - where footsoldiers generally didn't wield katana, those were the samurai, who were like the knights, the elites who trained far more intensely than everyone else - and they would often have fairly anime-like showdowns. For example, the attack which requires you to move forward and proceed past the enemy without any redirection or stopping, is akin to jousting, and there is an actual style for that: it's called Kiri-otoshi and is of Onoha Itto-ryu (and probably some others). There was often plenty of measuring opponents, clashing of styles, honourable fights and handling of death, and so on. This happened especially in the times of the Samurai being blades for hire, as they could get into situations where they were up against old colleagues or other unusual circumstances because everyone wasn't just on one side fighting another, the pot was stirred and people would end up everywhere, and at times unfortunate and moral enemies of perspective.

Stopping to talk about styles was an exchange of advantage boosting and deshrouding of the dishonour of trickery. At times these men were so hot-blooded that they wanted stronger enemies to prove their superiority over the other (the same as competition for alpha), and would even relinquish the shroud of their style in order to have the best fight to prove who's truly strongest without the interference of deception or ignorance. That's where the talking about styles and moves comes from: "i've shown you one of the most special moves of my school (or creation), can you best it and increase the thrill of this competition, or have i won?"

Seeking out stronger opponents, or measuring your true worth (even if it's not the best), is a very real psychological behaviour in humans and is seen all the time, especially in tournaments, and particularly in martial/fighting tournaments.

The times like these in Japanese history are so sought after, because these contextual stories that seem like something out of action drama fiction actually happened in real life there. Thus the infatuation with the sengoku era and the times of the samurai continue, albeit spiced up with extra drama for entertainment.
GenesisAriaJun 10, 2017 8:25 AM

Jun 10, 2017 8:08 AM

Dec 2015
@GenesisAria I see, I don't know much about that stuff, but it seems you're knowledgeable, and since most people are like me, they probably couldn't care less about the different schools and just wanted to see a good action anime. I wouldn't have minded the explanations if they happened while still in action, but the 'technique-pause-read-continue' formula is a disaster for an action anime.
Jun 10, 2017 8:25 AM

Dec 2009
joe_g7 said:
@GenesisAria I see, I don't know much about that stuff, but it seems you're knowledgeable, and since most people are like me, they probably couldn't care less about the different schools and just wanted to see a good action anime. I wouldn't have minded the explanations if they happened while still in action, but the 'technique-pause-read-continue' formula is a disaster for an action anime.
I'm not that well educated, i picked up a lot reading between the lines of anime, watching a few samurai films, and looking up term glossaries and some youtube demonstration vids. Anyone can do that. I just did it because i found it interesting. if you don't find it interesting, then maybe you should watch something with a different style?

It's not a disaster for action anime, and has been repeated in plenty of anime and has been admired for it by many watchers. That said, i will admit that the bit where they showed like 3 or so different hand positions in a row without context was just poor directorship. People, like myself, appreciate the artsy hat-tip to the manga style.

Imo you should try to find the merits in artistic style decisions rather than gripe because it's not perfect (perfect doesn't exist).

Ps: Martial schools name all their attacks, aspects of attacks, postures, posture transitions, footwork, etc etc. It's not an anime thingy where they go and just yap off cool names for things because it's dramatic. When a total package of a combination of movement pieces forms a single motion or attack move, it may get a dramatic name to strike fear into enemies. When a move is shown to be effective and worthy of reverence, it's name is told so that it can be spread via word of mouth and proliferate that reverence. The dramatic text-on screen thing is a very classical and long-held manga tradition where these names of presented in big calligraphy so as to emulate that presentation of reverence of a specialized move worthy of being revered.

In short: it's details all stuffed in there for martial arts otaku, the same way technical details are stuffed in military anime for the military otaku, etc. I find it fascinating, though it's always dependent on how they handle it with directorship, rather than whether they did it in the first place.

Pps: You'd be surprised how accurate anime can be with technical things, they study up and maybe even get expert advisor for the sake of the work, like a film would.
GenesisAriaJun 10, 2017 8:37 AM

Jun 10, 2017 8:51 AM

Dec 2015
GenesisAria said:
It's not a disaster for action anime, and has been repeated in plenty of anime and has been admired for it by many watchers. That said, i will admit that the bit where they showed like 3 or so different hand positions in a row without context was just poor directorship. People, like myself, appreciate the artsy hat-tip to the manga style.
Out of all the anime I've watched, I fail to recall a single one that had this much flow-breaking fights one after the other. The closest one I know is Shigurui which was a very slow paced anime and could barely qualify as action.

Imo you should try to find the merits in artistic style decisions rather than gripe because it's not perfect (perfect doesn't exist).
Well that artistic style decision, was a bad decision, that's what I'm saying. I'm not looking for perfection.

Ps: Martial schools name all their attacks, aspects of attacks, postures, posture transitions, footwork, etc etc. It's not an anime thingy where they go and just yap off cool names for things because it's dramatic. When a total package of a combination of movement pieces forms a single motion or attack move, it may get a dramatic name to strike fear into enemies. When a move is shown to be effective and worthy of reverence, it's name is told so that it can be spread via word of mouth and proliferate that reverence.
If this was a serious anime, a seinen series that was focused on all those things you said, then I would have accepted this. However that's not the case, the anime is far too comedic while trying to pass something actually deep, and when you watch a show with a lot of comedy you don't think to delve deep into whatever it shows, you just sit and enjoy.

The dramatic text-on screen thing is a very classical and long-held manga tradition where these names of presented in big calligraphy so as to emulate that presentation of reverence of a specialized move worthy of being revered.
I don't doubt this works great in the manga which is mainly READ even when it comes to action. Butt this is an anime, here you follow the flow of the characters and their moves and when in every single fight, the character stops after every move to announce what they did, it breaks the built-up motion you're supposed to follow and brings out a text for you to read. Which is not great.
joe_g7Jun 10, 2017 9:08 AM
Jun 10, 2017 9:48 AM
Nov 2016
PriestSlayer said:
seconds_to_dere said:

He's a god damned feminist bro, SJW in a feminist world full of feminist. It's predictable and cringy through and through
He has technically beaten into submission every girl who gave him shit thus far if you look at it in a different light.

Preach^ you guys just need to be more flexible and openminded
Jun 10, 2017 11:55 AM

Dec 2009
@joe_g7
Frankly, i didn't see any issue with "flow" (other than the one time when it did the frames for the hand/claw positions). Flow is relative.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
Ps: Martial schools name all their attacks, aspects of attacks, postures, posture transitions, footwork, etc etc. It's not an anime thingy where they go and just yap off cool names for things because it's dramatic. When a total package of a combination of movement pieces forms a single motion or attack move, it may get a dramatic name to strike fear into enemies. When a move is shown to be effective and worthy of reverence, it's name is told so that it can be spread via word of mouth and proliferate that reverence.
If this was a serious anime, a seinen series that was focused on all those things you said, then I would have accepted this. However that's not the case, the anime is far too comedic while trying to pass something actually deep, and when you watch a show with a lot of comedy you don't think to delve deep into whatever it shows, you just sit and enjoy.
This is an otaku anime, not a seinen, not an action adventure, just a silly otaku harem action.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
The dramatic text-on screen thing is a very classical and long-held manga tradition where these names of presented in big calligraphy so as to emulate that presentation of reverence of a specialized move worthy of being revered.
I don't doubt this works great in the manga which is mainly READ even when it comes to action. Butt this is an anime, here you follow the flow of the characters and their moves and when in every single fight, the character stops after every move to announce what they did, it breaks the built-up motion you're supposed to follow and brings out a text for you to read. Which is not great.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CallingYourAttacks
Sousei no Onmyouji
Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls
Senki Zesshou Symphogear

...often the order of actions goes first the yelling of the attack, then the execution, then the big fancy text. Those are just a couple series off the top of my head, but there are many more.

Most anime are adaptations of manga, VN's or LN's, and carry on the traditions of the source media in order to reduce corruption from adaption itself. People wanna see the manga animated, not an animation that resembles the manga.
GenesisAriaJun 10, 2017 11:59 AM

Jun 10, 2017 12:43 PM

Dec 2015
GenesisAria said:
@joe_g7
Frankly, i didn't see any issue with "flow" (other than the one time when it did the frames for the hand/claw positions). Flow is relative.
Let's agree to disagree with this then. I don't see either of us giving up ground.

This is an otaku anime, not a seinen, not an action adventure, just a silly otaku harem action.
This is not an otaku anime. This is an action anime that did the mistake of copy-pasting it's source material without bothering to convert manga elements into anime. And please don't ask me what those elements are, I expect someone that has watched as much anime as you to know that not everything that works in the manga, will work in the anime. Otherwise this whole discussion has been a waste of time and continuing further would be pointless.

Sousei no Onmyouji
Senki Zesshou Symphogear

...often the order of actions goes first the yelling of the attack, then the execution, then the big fancy text. Those are just a couple series off the top of my head, but there are many more.
When a harem ecchi show like Hyakka Ryouran has better battle sequences than an action shounen anime, you realise how much of a joke Busou Shoujo is. And no, Hyakka Ryouran had very few moments where they used this whole sequence, it is impossible to compare it to Busou Shoujo, since it relies entirely on the shouting formula after every single action that is made. Which I repeat, is absolutely stupid.

Most anime are adaptations of manga, VN's or LN's
Please, you don't need say something that literally everybody knows, including me.

and carry on the traditions of the source media in order to reduce corruption from adaption itself. People wanna see the manga animated, not an animation that resembles the manga.
If that's right then, how come this anime is doing so badly? Didn't if faithfully adapt everything from the manga? What corrupted it? The fact that it has such a bad score and the fact that everyone has already gotten tired of it even though there's still a lot of "action" in every episode, proves my point. No matter how much you try to justify it's horrifying formula as being prioritized for otakus like you.

EDIT: If you still aren't convinced by anything that I said, then this discussion will go nowhere, I'd rather stop right here rather than waste both of our energies.
joe_g7Jun 10, 2017 1:26 PM
Jun 10, 2017 2:10 PM

Dec 2009
joe_g7 said:
This is not an otaku anime.
Anime that appeal to the tropes and interests of people who watch many anime are otaku anime. When a series has other otakuisms like trains or military or whatever, then it's a collaboration between different otaku types. Cartoony harem shounen ecchi whatever series that aren't designed to appeal to broad audiences like Makoto Shinkai etc are made for fans.

joe_g7 said:
This is an action anime
This is an ecchi harem action, and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise lol. Even To LOVE-Ru had it's serious moments.

joe_g7 said:
that did the mistake of copy-pasting it's source material without bothering to convert manga elements into anime. And please don't ask me what those elements are, I expect someone that has watched as much anime as you to know that not everything that works in the manga, will work in the anime.
Despite this, people have been griping about inaccurate adaptions for many decades, as they always demand 1:1 conversion without any changes in style or additions/subtractions to plot or scenes. Anime studios spend a lot of effort trying to reproduce a work with the least amount of separation from the source material; notable changes are made out of necessity usually (by that i mean, the source material isn't caught up, or a mishap occurs in production planning or something). Even in trying hard to do well, tight deadlines, errors, inexperienced director, and countless othher thhings can result in a series' clumsy presentation. What right do you have do have to insult their efforts, even if they do end up fruitless?

joe_g7 said:
Sousei no Onmyouji
Senki Zesshou Symphogear
When a harem ecchi show like Hyakka Ryouran has better battle sequences than an action shounen anime, you realise how much of a joke Busou Shoujo is. And no, Hyakka Ryouran had very few moments where they used this whole sequence, it is impossible to compare it to Busou Shoujo, since it relies entirely on the shouting formula after every single action that is made. Which I repeat, is absolutely stupid.
You replied to one series. Symphogear was more popular than either of the other 2 i mentioned combined, and it would do freeze-frames with attack names and decorative borders etc, breaking the flow. Guess what? Most people were totally cool with it. That's not even mentioning the number of other shows i've seen it in and can't remember.
fyi: there literally isn't even more action in this than the first season of hyakka ryouran, this shows less nipples, that's it.

joe_g7 said:
and carry on the traditions of the source media in order to reduce corruption from adaption itself. People wanna see the manga animated, not an animation that resembles the manga.
If that's right then, how come this anime is doing so badly?
Doing badly where? On MAL? MAL doesn't count, look at how the japanese are receiving it. Most westerners haven't the first clue how anime production works unless they've seen Shirobako, then they have a vague idea.

Re:Creators is also doing fairly badly on MAL, but that series is almost revolutionary, and i would be surprised if it doesn't turn into at least a mid-range classic.
Look at Kemono Friends on MAL... That series BLEW UP in japan, like it took the akiba culture by storm, they freaking love it.

joe_g7 said:
Didn't if faithfully adapt everything from the manga? What corrupted it? The fact that it has such a bad score and the fact that everyone has already gotten tired of it even though there's still a lot of "action" in every episode, proves my point. No matter how much you try to justify it's horrifying formula as being prioritized for otakus like you.
Not many people on MAL even read the manga. Westerners are especially vicious on anime and manga etc, and seem to hate everything that doesn't suit their fancy or present itself in a particular way. Japanese watchers are aware of the difference between deep storytelling and entertaining trash (entertaining trash is usually way more popular there). You're being overdramatic about it.

Ps: i'm not really an otaku btw, i'm a proper akiba-kei, as i actually respect and study the stuff, without obsessing over it or collecting.
Pps: i recommend you study more anime tropes, trope subversions, common practices and so on, before trying to critique. You're welcome to not like it, but don't make baseless claims.

GenesisAriaJun 10, 2017 2:50 PM

Jun 10, 2017 3:08 PM

Dec 2015
GenesisAria said:
Anime that appeal to the tropes and interests of people who watch many anime are otaku anime. When a series has other otakuisms like trains or military or whatever, then it's a collaboration between different otaku types. Cartoony harem shounen ecchi whatever series that aren't designed to appeal to broad audiences like Makoto Shinkai etc are made for fans.
Then 90% of the anime made is otaku anime. You confused me with your use of the 'otaku' word. I thought you were speaking for something completely different. Ah whatever.

This is an ecchi harem action, and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise lol. Even To LOVE-Ru had it's serious moments.
Check the tags mate, for both the manga and the anime, on whichever site you want.

Despite this, people have been griping about inaccurate adaptions for many decades, as they always demand 1:1 conversion without any changes in style or additions/subtractions to plot or scenes. Anime studios spend a lot of effort trying to reproduce a work with the least amount of separation from the source material; notable changes are made out of necessity usually (by that i mean, the source material isn't caught up, or a mishap occurs in production planning or something). Even in trying hard to do well, tight deadlines, errors, inexperienced director, and countless othher thhings can result in a series' clumsy presentation. What right do you have do have to insult their efforts, even if they do end up fruitless?
What you say is completely invalid in this case. The manga doesn't have a big enough fanbase for anyone to complain about the anime not being 1:1 with the manga. And when they market something as a finished product, is it my fault for judging it as a finished product? I don't understand your logic.

You replied to one series. Symphogear was more popular than either of the other 2 i mentioned combined, and it would do freeze-frames with attack names and decorative borders etc, breaking the flow. Guess what? Most people weer totally cool with it.
fyi: there literally isn't even more action in this than the first season of hyakka ryouran, this shows less nipples, that's it.
Well I haven't seen the other two series, so I couldn't say anything. Hyakka Ryouran did better what this show was trying to do, even after showing nipples.

Doing badly where? On MAL? MAL doesn't count, look at how the japanese are receiving it. Most westerners haven't the first clue how anime production works unless they've seen Shirobako, then they have a vague idea.
Re:Creators is also doing fairly badly on MAL, but that series is almost revolutionary, and i would be surprised if it doesn't turn into at least a mid-range classic.
First you say MAL score doesn't matter, then you use MALs score of Re Creators to say how badly it does (and no,7.6 is not a bad score on MAL, and most retards have a problem with the "pacing" even though the show is great and I totally agree with you). You're basically using a score, from a site you said didn't matter? What.

Not many people on MAL even read the manga. Westerners are especially vicious on anime and manga etc, and seem to hate everything that doesn't suit their fancy or present itself in a particular way. Japanese watchers are aware of the difference between deep storytelling and entertaining trash (entertaining trash is usually way more popular there). You're being overdramatic about it.
That's why the anime industry is filled with garbage ecchi shows like Masou Gakuen HxH? Shitty shoujo shows that thirsty girls buy because of hot husbandos? Eromanga-sensei?Fuuka? Cheap idol anime that every studio makes for easy money? Aimed at the huge boner Japan has for idols? Is that Japan's "knowledge of deep storytelling"?? If there's one thing I've learned through all the years I've watched anime -which I've seen time and time again when absolute garbage shows did better than actual good animation studio works- it's that Japanese otaku/anime fans have the shittiest taste that can ever exist. I'm not saying west is better, but Japan is worse than the west.

Ps: i'm not really an otaku btw, i'm a proper akiba-kei, as i actually respect and study the stuff, without obsessing over it or collecting.
You were the one that said you were an otaku. First time I hear akiba-kei word.
Jun 10, 2017 9:08 PM

Dec 2009
joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
Check the tags mate, for both the manga and the anime, on whichever site you want.
Show's not finished; only basic tags are added initially with any series.
And just to humour you: https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=12230

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
What you say is completely invalid in this case. The manga doesn't have a big enough fanbase for anyone to complain about the anime not being 1:1 with the manga. And when they market something as a finished product, is it my fault for judging it as a finished product? I don't understand your logic.
You forget anime is made in japan for japanese firstly and foremost.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
You replied to one series. Symphogear was more popular than either of the other 2 i mentioned combined, and it would do freeze-frames with attack names and decorative borders etc, breaking the flow. Guess what? Most people weer totally cool with it.
Well I haven't seen the other two series, so I couldn't say anything. Hyakka Ryouran did better what this show was trying to do, even after showing nipples.
Not really. This show has more particular knowledge to styles and takes it's violence/injury seriously, whereas hyakka ryouran relied on history references and fancy art with virtually immortal characters.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
First you say MAL score doesn't matter, then you use MALs score of Re Creators to say how badly it does (and no,7.6 is not a bad score on MAL, and most retards have a problem with the "pacing" even though the show is great and I totally agree with you). You're basically using a score, from a site you said didn't matter? What.
I was making a point that the score here means nothing. It's not rated that high or watched by that many. Kemono Friends only got bumped up in rating here after all the japanese feedback came to western attention. Everyone started thinking "wait, there was something good i missed? i dodged it because of it's amateur 3d art". MAL is by no means a reliable source of public opinion haha. This is where you see a lot of vocal minority.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
That's why the anime industry is filled with garbage ecchi shows like Masou Gakuen HxH? Shitty shoujo shows that thirsty girls buy because of hot husbandos? Eromanga-sensei?Fuuka? Cheap idol anime that every studio makes for easy money? Aimed at the huge boner Japan has for idols? Is that Japan's "knowledge of deep storytelling"?? If there's one thing I've learned through all the years I've watched anime -which I've seen time and time again when absolute garbage shows did better than actual good animation studio works- it's that Japanese otaku/anime fans have the shittiest taste that can ever exist. I'm not saying west is better, but Japan is worse than the west.
Masou Gakuen HxH wasn't even that bad, in fact it was amusing how it managed do dodge being a full hentai despite an old cliche hentai-action plot. Most shoujo anime aren't shit, even the gay-looking fujo-bait often have more depth to them than a lot of male-oriented trash. Eromanga-sensei is downright entertaining because of how it manages do be innocent looking yet smutty, yet innocent characters - it gets away with a lot of shit. Fuuka was actually decent, and addressed a number of things about bands and such that are often not done so in other series: such as the consequences of mistakes made getting onto social media and overcoming that with determination... None of the idol anime are cheap lol. Well except maybe iM@S Cinderella Girls. The first iDOLM@STER was quite decent, and had a lot of development and thrill. Wake Up Girls was unusually realistic (though not my cup of tea). Love Live is beyond description - as most people who watch it feel - inexplicable happiness; it's just care-free joyousness, and that's all it needs to be. AKB0048 was an unusually classy series that actually turned out to be one of the best sci-fi anime of the last decade, with it's serious approach, spirited and individual approach, and it's unwavering accuracy to how AKB48 actually works. There are plenty of other idol-based series that are not great, but the idol obsession is actually one of the primary factors in the formation/growth of akihabara - AKB48.

I've seen excellent shows that were lame, i've seen trashy shows that were entertaining as hell. I've seen shows that blew my brains out of my skull, i've seen shows that could make me calmer than Buddha. One particular anime changed my life forever; one particular manga showed me an author could defy all odds and apply literal genius hidden just under your nose. Anime is an artistic medium, and one of the most free-expressive ones ever. Bested only by manga, VNs and literature (i prefer things i can physically see with my eyeballs and hear with my eardrums). It's there for enjoyment, not to be an object of disdain. You should watch that youtube vid i linked in my last post.

I'm an analyst of anime, though i don't really make it a profession, and writing big long reviews for series isn't something i have time for (look at me still talking when there's science to do). Most critics focus on technical aspects of the creation of the work and forget the emotional impacts of art. They forget that the context, the timing in one's life which it's witnessed, the social-political situation when it was released, and so on, all play a critical role in how any individual will respond to an anime or other artwork. Many people adore trashy stuff, i love a lot of trashy stuff, i have the wisdom to acknowledge it's trash, but that's no excuse to automatically dislike it. Objectively perfect art does not exist.

I love the fact that i can watch something that's completely trashy and fun, and then watch something extremely intellectual right after, without a care in the world. I'm the same way with music, just shuffle everything: one minute it might be a ballad, next deathmetal, next idol music, next orchestral, next experimental. . . Why regiment and limit yourself to self-imposed rules? Loosen up.
GenesisAriaJun 10, 2017 9:23 PM

Jun 10, 2017 11:33 PM

Dec 2015
GenesisAria said:
Show's not finished; only basic tags are added initially with any series.
And just to humour you: https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=12230
touche.

and because it's made for a Japanese audience, the rest don't have a right to criticize? How do you even get to that conclusion??

Not really. This show has more particular knowledge to styles and takes it's violence/injury seriously, whereas hyakka ryouran relied on history references and fancy art with virtually immortal characters.
For all I know it could be blowing smoke up my ass with all these styles and stuff. 95% are not as knowledgeable as you, so they could care less about some fancy words that are displayed on screen after every swing or attack.

I was making a point that the score here means nothing. It's not rated that high or watched by that many. Kemono Friends only got bumped up in rating here after all the japanese feedback came to western attention. Everyone started thinking "wait, there was something good i missed? i dodged it because of it's amateur 3d art". MAL is by no means a reliable source of public opinion haha. This is where you see a lot of vocal minority.
I would disagree, a bunch of retards on this site like to drop series from the first episode on or by simply judging by the looks. It wasn't the opinion from Japan that first gave it attention, it was the fact that the people that actually stuck until the end liked it and were praising it. THEN came all the news from Japan and it only added to the interest. Also, whatever is 7.5 and below is considered a bad score, 7.8 is quite good for any show on this site, especially one with bad visuals.

Masou Gakuen HxH wasn't even that bad, in fact it was amusing how it managed do dodge being a full hentai despite an old cliche hentai-action plot.
It was borderline hentai, with no redeeming quality, there was nothing amusing about it unless you went in for the ecchi. Just another Infinite Statos anime.

Most shoujo anime aren't shit, even the gay-looking fujo-bait often have more depth to them than a lot of male-oriented trash.
Yeah and everyone buys the DVD/BDs for the "depth" and not the hot husbandos or fujoshi ships, are you kidding me??

Eromanga-sensei is downright entertaining because of how it manages do be innocent looking yet smutty, yet innocent characters - it gets away with a lot of shit.
The incest is the only thing pushing the cogs in this anime, the fact that THEY'RE NOT BLOOD RELATED is focused so much in this series, that's it's obvious what kind of audience it focuses on. And when an anime is focused on selling only to 1 particular audience, can you really call it art? Plus including a bunch of pointless fanservice, OreImo plot downgrade/recycling, and you have yourself a shitty series which I fail to comprehend how you can call entertaining unless you're a masochist. (No offense).

P.S. But at least it's getting a tournament arc, an actual plot to the story, wow.

Fuuka was actually decent, and addressed a number of things about bands and such that are often not done so in other series: such as the consequences of mistakes made getting onto social media and overcoming that with determination...
I could barely take 1 episode of that cancer. When the first episode of any anime relies on fanservice and pathetic shock value (the girl breaking the boy's phone for no logical reason) to get the attention of it's audience, then that anime is already doomed.

None of the idol anime are cheap lol. Well except maybe iM@S Cinderella Girls. The first iDOLM@STER was quite decent, and had a lot of development and thrill. Wake Up Girls was unusually realistic (though not my cup of tea). Love Live is beyond description - as most people who watch it feel - inexplicable happiness; it's just care-free joyousness, and that's all it needs to be. AKB0048 was an unusually classy series that actually turned out to be one of the best sci-fi anime of the last decade, with it's serious approach, spirited and individual approach, and it's unwavering accuracy to how AKB48 actually works. There are plenty of other idol-based series that are not great, but the idol obsession is actually one of the primary factors in the formation/growth of akihabara - AKB48.
I honestly tried Love Live, but I couldn't get into it, far too many band members, not all of them could be properly fleshed out, and 2/3 of the girls were either retarded or downright annoying. I genuinely hoped Love Live would be the thing that would bring me into idol anime, but it didn't. It's enormous in Japan though and everyone knows that.

Staying on the idol topic

I've seen excellent shows that were lame, i've seen trashy shows that were entertaining as hell. I've seen shows that blew my brains out of my skull, i've seen shows that could make me calmer than Buddha. One particular anime changed my life forever; one particular manga showed me an author could defy all odds and apply literal genius hidden just under your nose. Anime is an artistic medium, and one of the most free-expressive ones ever. Bested only by manga, VNs and literature (i prefer things i can physically see with my eyeballs and hear with my eardrums). It's there for enjoyment, not to be an object of disdain. You should watch that youtube vid i linked in my last post.

I'm an analyst of anime, though i don't really make it a profession, and writing big long reviews for series isn't something i have time for (look at me still talking when there's science to do). Most critics focus on technical aspects of the creation of the work and forget the emotional impacts of art. They forget that the context, the timing in one's life which it's witnessed, the social-political situation when it was released, and so on, all play a critical role in how any individual will respond to an anime or other artwork. Many people adore trashy stuff, i love a lot of trashy stuff, i have the wisdom to acknowledge it's trash, but that's no excuse to automatically dislike it. Objectively perfect art does not exist.
I will agree with this, but you probably represent only 1% of the total audience. No casual watcher will come to say "ah this was a shit show, but this shit is still art" or something like that. And the vast majority of watchers are just that, casuals (not meant offensively).
I use my experience to judge anime, I use the time I spent on this medium to point out flaws. I don't close my eyes when I see something that could have been done better, when I see potential getting wasted from bad decisions. It's sad to see a raw gem not getting the treatment it deserves.

I love the fact that i can watch something that's completely trashy and fun, and then watch something extremely intellectual right after, without a care in the world. I'm the same way with music, just shuffle everything: one minute it might be a ballad, next deathmetal, next idol music, next orchestral, next experimental. . . Why regiment and limit yourself to self-imposed rules? Loosen up.
As I said, I just can't close my eyes to bad things. I like to look at the reality. You seem more like an optimist to me.
joe_g7Jun 10, 2017 11:37 PM
Jun 11, 2017 4:46 AM

Dec 2009
joe_g7 said:
and because it's made for a Japanese audience, the rest don't have a right to criticize? How do you even get to that conclusion??[/quote]No, but i recommend having japanese perspective.

joe_g7 said:
For all I know it could be blowing smoke up my ass with all these styles and stuff. 95% are not as knowledgeable as you, so they could care less about some fancy words that are displayed on screen after every swing or attack.
Attack names have been a trope in anime, manga, games, and so on for a very long time, i was only telling you why. I'm not that knowledgeable, i learned the things i learned from seeing it more than once and then googling and youtube-ing videos about it.

joe_g7 said:
Masou Gakuen HxH wasn't even that bad, in fact it was amusing how it managed do dodge being a full hentai despite an old cliche hentai-action plot.
It was borderline hentai, with no redeeming quality, there was nothing amusing about it unless you went in for the ecchi. Just another Infinite Statos anime.
Except it was better than IS, it actually had some plot and stakes.

joe_g7 said:
Most shoujo anime aren't shit, even the gay-looking fujo-bait often have more depth to them than a lot of male-oriented trash.
Yeah and everyone buys the DVD/BDs for the "depth" and not the hot husbandos or fujoshi ships, are you kidding me??
Dude... "Whether things we like are simple or complex, we all have simplex reasons we like those things, even if we don't admit them." –me
So what? Most people go into something for a particular reason, and get shown something else. A show like Amnesia was one that looked like a dumb reverse harem, but actually turned out to be pretty interesting. Yuri on Ice started out as fujo-bait for a lot of watchers, then everyone started loving the shit out of it.

joe_g7 said:
Eromanga-sensei is downright entertaining because of how it manages do be innocent looking yet smutty, yet innocent characters - it gets away with a lot of shit.
The incest is the only thing pushing the cogs in this anime, the fact that THEY'RE NOT BLOOD RELATED is focused so much in this series, that's it's obvious what kind of audience it focuses on. And when an anime is focused on selling only to 1 particular audience, can you really call it art? Plus including a bunch of pointless fanservice, OreImo plot downgrade/recycling, and you have yourself a shitty series which I fail to comprehend how you can call entertaining unless you're a masochist. (No offense).
You're constraining the definition of art to a particular elite category. Fanservice is also an art form, as it's the art of effectively appealing to audiences by giving them EXACTLY what they want.

joe_g7 said:
P.S. But at least it's getting a tournament arc, an actual plot to the story, wow.
Makes you sound like Gigguk lol! Nobody complains about the unoriginal tournament arc formula, which literally does the same thing every time. Why? Because people enjoy it.

joe_g7 said:
Fuuka was actually decent, and addressed a number of things about bands and such that are often not done so in other series: such as the consequences of mistakes made getting onto social media and overcoming that with determination...
I could barely take 1 episode of that cancer. When the first episode of any anime relies on fanservice and pathetic shock value (the girl breaking the boy's phone for no logical reason) to get the attention of it's audience, then that anime is already doomed.
Uh, Fuuka was actually reasonably anticipated because of it being a sequel to Suzuka. I don't know what you're talking about with the fanservice here, because i don't recall any. There was a huge uproar because the manga had a tragedy in it that the anime did not do, and everyone was afraid it was going to, but then teased it, and averted, which was actually a stroke of genius in it's own sense.

joe_g7 said:
I honestly tried Love Live, but I couldn't get into it, far too many band members, not all of them could be properly fleshed out, and 2/3 of the girls were either retarded or downright annoying. I genuinely hoped Love Live would be the thing that would bring me into idol anime, but it didn't. It's enormous in Japan though and everyone knows that.

Staying on the idol topic
Love Live never was about character depth or development, that's not the point. It's about cute girls being happy and accomplishing things, and spreading that happiness. Nico is supposed to be retarded and annoying.

joe_g7 said:

joe_g7 said:
I will agree with this, but you probably represent only 1% of the total audience. No casual watcher will come to say "ah this was a shit show, but this shit is still art" or something like that. And the vast majority of watchers are just that, casuals (not meant offensively).
I use my experience to judge anime, I use the time I spent on this medium to point out flaws. I don't close my eyes when I see something that could have been done better, when I see potential getting wasted from bad decisions. It's sad to see a raw gem not getting the treatment it deserves.
Most watchers are not on this forum blabbing about quality and rating stuff. They're busy on chrunchyroll or wherever having a good time watching their afternoon cartoons. They won't say "it's still art" because they dunno wtf art is and don't care, they just wanna enjoy anime. Emotional value will ALWAYS trump intellectual or developmental value in a series. Most people love Love Live, most of japan which you claim to have "shit taste" will all disagree with you. I don't speak for the majority, i speak for myself, understanding the majority and the minorities. Panscopic. It's what makes me an honourable akiba-kei, and not a keyboard warrior.

joe_g7 said:
As I said, I just can't close my eyes to bad things. I like to look at the reality. You seem more like an optimist to me.
I'm a scientist and philosopher by necessity of projects, all i see is reality. All you see is materialism. Intangible and emotional value is an aspect of reality. A show like this could be the most important thing in the world for someone out there, and that's a wonderful thing. Whether or not it's popular is irrelevant. Japan understands this, and they even get the change to portray it in anime often enough. From what it looks on the outside, you seem to just be shitting on everyone for being different from you, that's not cool :(

Jun 11, 2017 5:56 AM

Dec 2015
GenesisAria said:
No, but i recommend having japanese perspective.
Ok, if you say so.

Attack names have been a trope in anime, manga, games, and so on for a very long time, i was only telling you why. I'm not that knowledgeable, i learned the things i learned from seeing it more than once and then googling and youtube-ing videos about it.
Ok ok, I have nothing more to say here, so let's move on.

Dude... "Whether things we like are simple or complex, we all have simplex reasons we like those things, even if we don't admit them." –me
I think that's obvious.

So what? Most people go into something for a particular reason, and get shown something else. A show like Amnesia was one that looked like a dumb reverse harem, but actually turned out to be pretty interesting. Yuri on Ice started out as fujo-bait for a lot of watchers, then everyone started loving the shit out of it.
I'm saying that those shoujo anime sell mainly for 1 reason only, they have hot dudes! They don't sell because of the story, the good action, the good music or anything like that, but for the hot dudes. And when studios see that this shit sells, they keep making more with lower and lower quality and effort, is that honestly acceptable to you?

There's this shoujo anime coming out soon, called 'Ikemen Sengoku', should ANYONE that isn't a girl expect that this will be focused on ANYTHING other than the handsome men?? "Handsome Men of The Warring States Period" - I think this would be the english translation, just reading the title is laughable.

You're constraining the definition of art to a particular elite category. Fanservice is also an art form, as it's the art of effectively appealing to audiences by giving them EXACTLY what they want.
It's a cheap art though, a very cheap and underhanded way to get audience. If the rest of the story is good of course the ecchi can be ignored (like Kill la Kill for example), but it is not the case with this one. Anyway, I'm probably not convincing you xD.

Makes you sound like Gigguk lol! Nobody complains about the unoriginal tournament arc formula, which literally does the same thing every time. Why? Because people enjoy it.
Really? Maybe I should also make a youtube channel :3 Something is better than nothing, and Eromanga had nothing (except cheap incest ecchi), now it will at least it'll have actual plot.

Uh, Fuuka was actually reasonably anticipated because of it being a sequel to Suzuka. I don't know what you're talking about with the fanservice here, because i don't recall any. There was a huge uproar because the manga had a tragedy in it that the anime did not do, and everyone was afraid it was going to, but then teased it, and averted, which was actually a stroke of genius in it's own sense.
Suzuka came out so long ago I doubt anyone was anticipating it. In the first episode only there were 2 panty shots, and in the following couple of episodes from what I've researched there were multiple times where the MCs sisters were just in their underwear. Reason? Who knows. Yeah I know about truck-kun, it was the thing people were most looking forward to, I was following the episode discussions and people were pissed, that the only twist the anime could have, was scrapped. Honestly, it wasn't genius at all.

Love Live never was about character depth or development, that's not the point. It's about cute girls being happy and accomplishing things, and spreading that happiness. Nico is supposed to be retarded and annoying.
So because it was about happiness and cute girls, that gives it the right to have characters with no depth and development? Cause that's basically what you're saying. The 3 girls that were not annoying/retarded were the Vice president, the girl with the short red hair and the girl with the blue hair. The rest were horrible in their own ways, especially Niko, made me cringe every time she did the niko niko nii thing.

BanG Dream was basically a CGDCT type show with atwist. Just fyi, it's not idols at all, it's good old fashioned rock bands. Gintama is a completely different genre with completely different audience, and actually isn't as big as it seems to be because of MAL's ratings. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BAD TASTE IN ANIME. Japan MAKES anime, meaning japan has taste in ALL anime. They made Kimi no NA wa, everyone in the world loves it. This particular case is your inability to appreciate the appeal or qualities of things outside your own tastes.
Sometimes I just think you're just too high up in the clouds with your positivity. And you keep stating the most obvious things over and over again. I can't, your positivity gives me a headache. I give up on this but that doesn't mind I agree with you.

For one, nobody's selling anime, it's there for you to choose to watch or not, and bad meat is objectively bad. Anime is not that simple. There are objective elements to it's creation and structure depth, continuity etc, but if there wasn't a significant subjectivity to it, it wouldn't have been art in the first place. It's art because of the emotional value.
Not all art is good. I've seen a simple blue canvas getting sold for millions, I bet you would buy something like that because of the "art value" or smth. But I'd be the guy that would look for something that actually took time and effort to make, not just a canvas dipped in blue paint.

Most watchers are not on this forum blabbing about quality and rating stuff. They're busy on chrunchyroll or wherever having a good time watching their afternoon cartoons. They won't say "it's still art" because they dunno wtf art is and don't care, they just wanna enjoy anime. Emotional value will ALWAYS trump intellectual or developmental value in a series.
Most people love Love Live, most of japan which you claim to have "shit taste" will all disagree with you. I don't speak for the majority, i speak for myself, understanding the majority and the minorities. Panscopic. It's what makes me an honourable akiba-kei, and not a keyboard warrior.
Let's agree to disagree then, Japan will always have a shit taste in my opinion. Being panscopic sounds like a major pain in the ass. I watch for myself. I hate many well-received shows, I also hate many badly-received shows and vice versa. I watch an anime and choose from my own experience, what was a bad choice, what was a good choice, what could have been done better, what was left unattended. That is all I do. And it doesn't matter what that makes me in the eyes of other people. I will defend my opinion when necessary.

I'm a scientist and philosopher by necessity of projects, all i see is reality. All you see is materialism. Intangible and emotional value is an aspect of reality. A show like this could be the most important thing in the world for someone out there, and that's a wonderful thing. Whether or not it's popular is irrelevant. Japan understands this, and they even get the change to portray it in anime often enough.
Actually I think you're the one that's been constraining yourself. Regarding every form of anime as art, you first think about what one individual somewhere on the planet might think before deciding what YOU think. You're absorbing everything without thinking about yourself first, and you lose individuality.
TL;DR For you others are first and then are you (which I see as something that constrains you). While for me, I'm first and then is everybody else (which you think is constraining me). We're like the angel and the demon hahah we're pretty much polar opposites and that's why we haven't agreed on almost anything up until now xD

From what it looks on the outside, you seem to just be shitting on everyone for being different from you, that's not cool :(
And here I thought of myself as someone that was quite respectful of other peoples opinions :33 If that was honestly the case, we wouldn't be here talking so much xD
Jun 11, 2017 7:18 AM

Oct 2008
WOW! this is simply the best episode as for yet!
and I thought Inaba would come to rescue and save the 2 girls: Chouka & Nono, but it was reversed, the one that needs help is Inaba!
alright! Nomura for the actual rescue! go redeem yourself in front of the 5 swords and teach Amou a lesson!
5/5.

Jun 11, 2017 8:00 AM

Dec 2009
joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
I'm saying that those shoujo anime sell mainly for 1 reason only, they have hot dudes! They don't sell because of the story, the good action, the good music or anything like that, but for the hot dudes. And when studios see that this shit sells, they keep making more with lower and lower quality and effort, is that honestly acceptable to you?
There's this shoujo anime coming out soon, called 'Ikemen Sengoku', should ANYONE that isn't a girl expect that this will be focused on ANYTHING other than the handsome men?? "Handsome Men of The Warring States Period" - I think this would be the english translation, just reading the title is laughable.
That's what i meant by my quote, at first it may just be a guilty pleasure or whatever, maybe it was because something was sexy, or maybe you are obsessed with robots. Same message that anime give with the friends thing: how it starts doesn't matter (only matters statistically), what you get out of it in the end is what matters. They don't make them just to put hot dudes in. They make something with hot dudes in it as well, because people like hot dudes (including the creators). Let me ask you this: if you liked hot girls/guys, why would you make something without them? You can make literally anything, and just make all the characters hot, because why not. Above all else, anime is a business, and it makes no sense to contradict what gets your anime sales and permits you to continue producing anime. Without mass-appeal anime would not be able to survive and thrive like it does.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
It's a cheap art though, a very cheap and underhanded way to get audience. If the rest of the story is good of course the ecchi can be ignored (like Kill la Kill for example), but it is not the case with this one. Anyway, I'm probably not convincing you xD.
It's not cheap or underhanded, it's very straightforward in honest. People want sexy, producers give them sexy... result: money. What do they do with money? Make more anime. They're not stealing your money, they're allowing themselves to continue, because of how otaku now make anime for otaku, in a mutual dynamic where everybody gets what they want.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
For one, nobody's selling anime, it's there for you to choose to watch or not, and bad meat is objectively bad. Anime is not that simple. There are objective elements to it's creation and structure depth, continuity etc, but if there wasn't a significant subjectivity to it, it wouldn't have been art in the first place. It's art because of the emotional value.
Not all art is good. I've seen a simple blue canvas getting sold for millions, I bet you would buy something like that because of the "art value" or smth. But I'd be the guy that would look for something that actually took time and effort to make, not just a canvas dipped in blue paint.
Define "good"; every single person will have a different answer. It meant something to those people emotionally. Who are you to say otherwise? I hate splatterpaint etc and not fond of abstract art of any kind, even the famous stuff. I'd rather see a fantasy landscape or a photograph. That doesn't mean i can't understand why other people would like it. You seem to think that i'm saying there's reason why everything is good, i'm not, i'm saying there's many reasons why anybody could like something which differs from you.

joe_g7 said:
Japan will always have a shit taste in my opinion. Being panscopic sounds like a major pain in the ass. I watch for myself. I hate many well-received shows, I also hate many badly-received shows and vice versa. I watch an anime and choose from my own experience, what was a bad choice, what was a good choice, what could have been done better, what was left unattended. That is all I do. And it doesn't matter what that makes me in the eyes of other people. I will defend my opinion when necessary.
Being panscopic really easy, and is actually necessitative to remove things like conflicts, convolutions and difficulties from the world. Though with those self-centred statements, i could say your opinion is shit, because it's tunnel-vision.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
Actually I think you're the one that's been constraining yourself. Regarding every form of anime as art, you first think about what one individual somewhere on the planet might think before deciding what YOU think. You're absorbing everything without thinking about yourself first, and you lose individuality.
TL;DR For you others are first and then are you (which I see as something that constrains you). While for me, I'm first and then is everybody else (which you think is constraining me). We're like the angel and the demon hahah we're pretty much polar opposites and that's why we haven't agreed on almost anything up until now xD
Uh, what? Talk about misunderstandings. Nobody's first. I most definitely do not put others before myself. I put knowledge and understanding first, my knowledge an understanding, then i give it away as a courtesy. You're painting me as this optimistic vs pessimistic or something, now, i'm the sigma, i'm an outsider looking in at the factions and thinking "your all ridiculous, because there's not even any reason to contradict". I'm not on any side other than truth and wisdom... rights and wrongs are irrelevant; merits and detriments are relative.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
From what it looks on the outside, you seem to just be shitting on everyone for being different from you, that's not cool :(
And here I thought of myself as someone that was quite respectful of other peoples opinions :33 If that was honestly the case, we wouldn't be here talking so much xD
Are you sure you're not just trying to reaffirm your position with other people?

Jun 11, 2017 9:09 AM

Dec 2015
GenesisAria said:
That's what i meant by my quote, at first it may just be a guilty pleasure or whatever, maybe it was because something was sexy, or maybe you are obsessed with robots. Same message that anime give with the friends thing: how it starts doesn't matter (only matters statistically), what you get out of it in the end is what matters. They don't make them just to put hot dudes in. They make something with hot dudes in it as well, because people like hot dudes (including the creators). Let me ask you this: if you liked hot girls/guys, why would you make something without them? You can make literally anything, and just make all the characters hot, because why not. Above all else, anime is a business, and it makes no sense to contradict what gets your anime sales and permits you to continue producing anime. Without mass-appeal anime would not be able to survive and thrive like it does.
I'm not saying that anime shouldn't have hot guys. I'm saying that anime where hot guys is FIRST, while everything else comes SECOND, cannot be considered a good anime in my honest opinion. An anime that relies HEAVILY on the character looks is not a good anime.

It's like going to see a movie, it has no good plot, no emotion, no personality, and when you point that out, someone says "Hey it has hot actors in it". Can you accept that as an answer? I doubt it. Yet that's the kind of shoujo anime that sells in Japan.

It's not cheap or underhanded, it's very straightforward in honest. People want sexy, producers give them sexy... result: money. What do they do with money? Make more anime. They're not stealing your money, they're allowing themselves to continue, because of how otaku now make anime for otaku, in a mutual dynamic where everybody gets what they want.
You've just described the entire anime industry. Yet when every year you get more of low effort, ecchi anime, showing a tit here, and ass there, a panty shot over there, I genuinely fail to understand how you can find that as anything but bad. When bad ecchi anime sell, can you safely say that studios won't start making more and more cheap ecchi anime, while not going into the effort of making something like Re:Creators or Seikaisuru Kado?

Dude, do you even watch old anime? Panty shots are shockingly rare now. In the 90s and 2000s, there were loads of anime that had dozens of panty shots every freaking episode, and shows that didn't need fanservice had obligatory low-angle cameras to show off panties dusing a myriad of different types of scenes, yet nobody is griping about them. The genre with clothes tearing off from punches has died out now too. So that argument is not really valid.
Now that's just insulting, of course I watch old anime, sometimes I'm in need of that old hand drawn animation xD. They're shockingly rare now because today it's about full-on nudity, the days of Rosario+Vampire are over, it's time for some Masou Gakuen levels of ecchi! And no, my argument is not invalid, it's a fact that there fanservice was there to keep the audience watching the otherwise empty story.

What law states characters need to be deep? How many deep people do you meet irl? Think about it. Most people are very simple. Nico made everybody cringe.
*exhale* If you like bland and predictable characters then good for you.

I'm not overly positive, i'm realistic and comprehensive rather than pessimistic.
You are overly positive, at least in my eyes. I like how both of us consider ourselves realists while at the same time calling the other an optimist/pessimist xD

Define "good"; every single person will have a different answer. It meant something to those people emotionally. Who are you to say otherwise? I hate splatterpaint etc and not fond of abstract art of any kind, even the famous stuff. I'd rather see a fantasy landscape or a photograph. That doesn't mean i can't understand why other people would like it. You seem to think that i'm saying there's reason why everything is good, i'm not, i'm saying there's many reasons why anybody could like something which differs from you.
There you go again, it's always about others, what others think, what others believe. And I love how you're always in defense about that "who are you to say otherwise?" Well I'm a person that has an opinion, a person who likes to express that opinion. Isn't that enough?

Damn, you just make me feel like, if someone likes something, you have no right to criticize that. I'll quote you and say, does some law say that? That I can't criticize someone's taste?

Being panscopic really easy, and is actually necessitative to remove things like conflicts, convolutions and difficulties from the world. Though with those self-centred statements, i could say your opinion is shit, because it's tunnel-vision.
I could say the same about yours, yours is so wide that you've lost your own individual opinion. You're too panscopic.

Uh, what? Talk about misunderstandings. Nobody's first. I most definitely do not put others before myself. I put knowledge and understanding first, my knowledge an understanding, then i give it away as a courtesy. You're painting me as this optimistic vs pessimistic or something, now, i'm the sigma, i'm an outsider looking in at the factions and thinking "your all ridiculous, because there's not even any reason to contradict". I'm not on any side other than truth and wisdom... rights and wrongs are irrelevant; merits and detriments are relative.
To me it seems like that, you overly concern yourself with other people's opinions, and then you form your own based on that. But I could just be misjudging.

So you're the neutral guy then?

Are you sure you're not just trying to reaffirm your position with other people?
Maybe, maybe not. Can't be 100% sure.
Jun 11, 2017 10:54 AM

Feb 2015
Amou is overpowered, I have no idea how he is going to defeat her. No one can defeat her and her attacks are lethal, and all this inside a school. Also Inaba surprisingly tried to defend the girls with a failure in the middle.
Jun 11, 2017 7:50 PM

Dec 2009
joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
You've just described the entire anime industry. Yet when every year you get more of low effort, ecchi anime, showing a tit here, and ass there, a panty shot over there, I genuinely fail to understand how you can find that as anything but bad. When bad ecchi anime sell, can you safely say that studios won't start making more and more cheap ecchi anime, while not going into the effort of making something like Re:Creators or Seikaisuru Kado?
Because, if only legit anime were ever made, i'd get tired of it too. I like my mindless entertainment. Manga and anime were never considered high culture, and it knows it. Also just fyi: look at the season linups for the past fer decades, there is no more ecchi trash throw away series now than before. Actually, ecchi trash shows are more sensible now. In the past they made no effing sense - they weer collages of complete and utter nonsense with broken plots contrived to squash as many fandoms in to one steaming pile of crap.

joe_g7 said:
Dude, do you even watch old anime? Panty shots are shockingly rare now. In the 90s and 2000s, there were loads of anime that had dozens of panty shots every freaking episode, and shows that didn't need fanservice had obligatory low-angle cameras to show off panties dusing a myriad of different types of scenes, yet nobody is griping about them. The genre with clothes tearing off from punches has died out now too. So that argument is not really valid.
Now that's just insulting, of course I watch old anime, sometimes I'm in need of that old hand drawn animation xD. They're shockingly rare now because today it's about full-on nudity, the days of Rosario+Vampire are over, it's time for some Masou Gakuen levels of ecchi! And no, my argument is not invalid, it's a fact that there fanservice was there to keep the audience watching the otherwise empty story.
*slams on buzzer* false. Prior to the 2000's, nudity was much more common than it is now. During the 80's and 90's japan underwent a sort of "cleanup" of sexual entertainment. In came censorship laws and derogatory perspective on such things rose. Through the 2000's, even having panty shots was pushing it. Showing nipples was (and still is) rare to come by.

joe_g7 said:
What law states characters need to be deep? How many deep people do you meet irl? Think about it. Most people are very simple. Nico made everybody cringe.
*exhale* If you like bland and predictable characters then good for you.
I like humans, not unrealistically complex people. In my books, most humans are extremely predictable, even a lot of the smart ones.

joe_g7 said:
There you go again, it's always about others, what others think, what others believe. And I love how you're always in defense about that "who are you to say otherwise?" Well I'm a person that has an opinion, a person who likes to express that opinion. Isn't that enough?
Ofc it has to do with other people, this is a social network. If you were the only one that mattered, then you would be alone.

joe_g7 said:
Damn, you just make me feel like, if someone likes something, you have no right to criticize that. I'll quote you and say, does some law say that? That I can't criticize someone's taste?
It makes you an ass :(

joe_g7 said:
I could say the same about yours, yours is so wide that you've lost your own individual opinion. You're too panscopic.
Nay, i have not lost my opinion, and i am strong to my own opinion, to this day. Having my own opinion does not mean that all others contrary are crap. They're just not within the scope of my preferences. Very rarely is there a certain preference that someone might have that i cannot approve of guro... There's no such thing as too panscopic. The more you see, the more truth you hold. I don't shove my opinions in everyone's faces inconsiderately. If you ask me what my individual opinion is of a show then i will tell you something completely different then if you asked me if a show was decent. I like it because A, B, and C; i say it's decent because C, D and E.

joe_g7 said:
To me it seems like that, you overly concern yourself with other people's opinions, and then you form your own based on that. But I could just be misjudging.
Not really. In a culture of anime, i like to be aware of objective appeal to stories and so on which mean things to many. I imagine things from countless perspectives (ie, what if x situation was something that meant a lot to me, what would it be like?). In a place of social contact, i waste everyone's time babbling about what i like, as i'd just be a random potato venting my preferences, instead of saying something that could actually be useful to someone.
GenesisAriaJun 11, 2017 8:20 PM

Jun 11, 2017 10:47 PM

Dec 2015
GenesisAria said:
Because, if only legit anime were ever made, i'd get tired of it too. I like my mindless entertainment. Manga and anime were never considered high culture, and it knows it. Also just fyi: look at the season linups for the past fer decades, there is no more ecchi trash throw away series now than before. Actually, ecchi trash shows are more sensible now. In the past they made no effing sense - they weer collages of complete and utter nonsense with broken plots contrived to squash as many fandoms in to one steaming pile of crap.
I guess even ecchi is evolving somehow xD

*slams on buzzer* false. Prior to the 2000's, nudity was much more common than it is now. During the 80's and 90's japan underwent a sort of "cleanup" of sexual entertainment. In came censorship laws and derogatory perspective on such things rose. Through the 2000's, even having panty shots was pushing it. Showing nipples was (and still is) rare to come by. The art of avoiding panty shots has become more ecchi than direct panty shots, that's the only reason why so many shows DON'T show panties during fights or when the wind blows or whatever (when you would realistically see underwear), becauuse now it's a mental question "is she even wearing any?"
[img]http://i.imgur.com/vcqIGYq.jpg[img]
I haven't watch any 80s especially ones that are ecchi. But I do prefer, like you said, being teased rather than shown the pantsu.

I like humans, not unrealistically complex people. In my books, most humans are extremely predictable, even a lot of the smart ones.
So characters like Meuruem from HxH aren't to your liking, characters that you see literally grow on screen and change? (Rhetorical question). I don't understand you.

Ofc it has to do with other people, this is a social network. If you were the only one that mattered, then you would be alone.
Well that's wrong, if you first think about others opinions, and then form yours, then you're not an individual anymore.

It makes you an ass :(
As long as I have my friends and family, I don't care what others think of me. And my friends and family will not take my criticism the wrong way, instead they will criticise me back, which is totally ok with me.

Nay, i have not lost my opinion, and i am strong to my own opinion, to this day. Having my own opinion does not mean that all others contrary are crap. They're just not within the scope of my preferences. Very rarely is there a certain preference that someone might have that i cannot approve of guro... There's no such thing as too panscopic. The more you see, the more truth you hold. I don't shove my opinions in everyone's faces inconsiderately. If you ask me what my individual opinion is of a show then i will tell you something completely different then if you asked me if a show was decent. I like it because A, B, and C; i say it's decent because C, D and E.
Okay then.

Not really. In a culture of anime, i like to be aware of objective appeal to stories and so on which mean things to many. I imagine things from countless perspectives (ie, what if x situation was something that meant a lot to me, what would it be like?). In a place of social contact, i waste everyone's time babbling about what i like, as i'd just be a random potato venting my preferences, instead of saying something that could actually be useful to someone.
Let's agree to disagree, I don't see you the way you say you are.

ANYWAY, I just realised we're WAYYYY off topic for this thread, so we better stop here. IF you reply, I won't read your response because then I'll be tempted to reply back, so let's stop here.
Jun 12, 2017 5:21 AM

Dec 2009
joe_g7 said:
But I do prefer, like you said, being teased rather than shown the pantsu.
I rather just see them. Gravity-defying skirts can get tiresome. If you're wearing a skirt and doing anything like girls often do in anime (high kicks, jumping high, flying, falling) you're going to see panties and should. The whole reaction "did you see my panties?" "no i didn't!" routine is really annoying to me (i have an extremely high tolerance for things tho), and i rather it just not be such a big deal. You saw underwear, grats, not a big deal. Being embarrassed is fine, but the freakouts are so old.

joe_g7 said:
GenesisAria said:
So characters like Meuruem from HxH aren't to your liking, characters that you see literally grow on screen and change? (Rhetorical question). I don't understand you.
Some people change, other people don't. Both are fine.

Jun 12, 2017 6:33 PM

Nov 2016
Amou is fucking op.

Looking forward to her fight with Nomura.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 14, 2017 8:32 AM

Jan 2011
Sangaz said:
Tsukuyo's a right sweetheart, wouldn't want to get on her bad side though.
Also, Amou is just asking for HIV or some shit, sampling blood like she was tea tasting.
stereotypical bloodlust trait. Right now she just seems like a stiff bloodthirsty trope who's cruel and overpower just to be cruel and overpowering. Her character design is incredibly typical with the exception of the "empty eyes".
Jun 21, 2017 8:41 AM

Jun 2013
Goddamn, that was brutal!
Jun 22, 2017 6:45 AM

Jun 2012
Little Inaba's eyes are the best.

And Amou just said her body is her sword. Is that you Archer?
Jul 18, 2017 10:56 AM

Aug 2016
She shouldn't have hurt the bear... 2/10
Nanika ga Okashii
Aug 16, 2017 10:05 PM

May 2012
This is really getting quite intense! Pretty interesting, way more over the top than expected from this anime to be honest!
Dec 24, 2017 5:22 AM

Mar 2015
Amou too OP, only Nomura can stop her!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 17, 2018 10:14 AM

Sep 2013
Omg, this is SO damn stupid. The girl who is the most seriously hurt is the one who has damaged eyelids? The others had a human hand shoved into their torsos and are not seriously injured? One of them was punctured in the center of her back...like, through her spine. Her damn spine...but the eyelids are a more serious injury.

So, not only are none of them dead (which is completely stupid), but none of them are even seriously injured.

I'm still not even sure what the catalyst for this fight is. Why is Amou suddenly going all berserk on everyone?

Maelstrom184Apr 17, 2018 10:31 AM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 17, 2019 11:15 AM

Nov 2010
Wow, that escalated quickly. I'm not even sure why the Empress started attacking the 5 swords. Is this some sort of coup? Hopefully it will be explained soon...

I don't want to sound like a pedo but damn I just wanted to say that Tsukuyo is so cute <3

LOL @GenesisAria and other peeps trying to justify realism and physics on an anime show... *face palm*
MizuhoKamuiApr 17, 2019 11:37 AM
Apr 17, 2019 3:55 PM

Dec 2009
@PanzernKern
Mentioning me after all this time smh... anime used to have semi-realistic skirts until prudism took over. Also your straight up objection to any realism in anime is the bigger facepalm. Anime isn't unrealistic by nature, it does unrealistic things for entertainment or joke (and sometimes bad writing).

Oct 2, 2019 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
Inaba was pretty disappointing considering all the hype she was getting. Guess that fits her catch phrase though lol
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2017

177 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Aug 28, 8:25 AM

Poll: » Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2017

133 by Taizaki-han »»
Jun 21, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2017

57 by Gutzdeep42 »»
May 28, 5:07 PM

Poll: » Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2017

95 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Jul 27, 2023 5:24 AM

Poll: » Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2017

51 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Jul 27, 2023 4:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.