Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jun 24, 1:37 AM

Jan 2012
Reply to Myetx
@ColdBlackTeaFan re:Taki sensei. If the skill is close, Kumiko should be playing soli. To swap out club president just because was the dumbest idea.
It's a pity that Reina has turned into one-dimensional Taki sensei obsessed music purist.
He didn't swap them out "just because". He wouldn't have arranged for the blind audition if that's the case. Also, picking someone based on seniority would go against the principle of meritocracy. All in all, I think he made sensible decisions.
Jun 24, 1:47 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to ColdBlackTeaFan
He didn't swap them out "just because". He wouldn't have arranged for the blind audition if that's the case. Also, picking someone based on seniority would go against the principle of meritocracy. All in all, I think he made sensible decisions.
@ColdBlackTeaFan The gap in skills is non-existent, I think we all agree on that. Reina always thought that Kumiko sounds better. Kumiko has chemistry with Reina and the rest of the band and she is the president.
What are valid arguments to swap Kumiko for Mayu given that it almost broke the band? Nothing to do with meritocracy, just common sense.
Jun 24, 1:53 AM
Apr 2021
Very disappointed to see them change from the light novel and take the soli from Kumiko.
TheMadKingJun 24, 1:57 AM
Jun 24, 1:58 AM
Jun 2019
wow mayu truly nasty person because she know she is superior
Jun 24, 2:15 AM

Apr 2020
I heard an error at Kumiko's audition that starts at 15:05 (15:09 is where you can hear it but its hard to notice at first)! Anyways whilst her audition sounded better for me, I understand why Reina chose Mayu because hers is arguably better for the judges. Also I think that while some people thought both auditions sounded the same, I think different. Mayu was more supporting Reina's melody while Kumiko was "dueting" with Reina. these are just my thoughts and i see some people on different discussions have the same with me too!
“You can’t always hold on to the things that are important. By letting them go we gain something else.” – Kunio Yaobi
Jun 24, 2:21 AM
Nov 2019
Reply to MeijinKei
If Kumiko and Mayu have the same level of ability why did Reina choose Mayu?
@MeijinKei I heard Mayu's playing sound stable.
Jun 24, 2:36 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to ColdBlackTeaFan
@ColdBlackTeaFan somehow it is a “just because”, there sas no need for this new audition, and talking meritocracy, Kimiko plays as well as the other creature, but also is the engine that in the backgroud held together the band, when 1st years where in disarray, the Asuka situation (btw so much for Gold standards but her being away days without prscticing and he still kept her seat), and others, that is a rewars for effort?

I see drama by a spineless teacher
Jun 24, 2:54 AM
Apr 2021
is totally perfect
Jun 24, 3:53 AM
Jan 2022
Man I knew this was gonna be a deep episode when I noticed there wasn't an opening, but this was by far my favorite episode of this series. massive character development and Kyoani's peak animation and the music. Kumiko's true feelings and how she hide them for the better of the whole band. I love the decision of hiding who was auditioning to have us guess and add suspense. The callback of season 1 at the end with Reina and Kumiko was brilliant. Great animation, music, plot, characters, and episode. Sad that it's almost over 😢 I hope they make a movie after this season.
Jun 24, 4:06 AM
Aug 2017
Thank god is ending, so I don't really need to watch future seasons. This plot is clearly about Kumiko future, what I don't give a fuck, because what I'm watching is her present. I don't want to wait till her decisions pay off in the future. I wish y'all have a wonderful experience watching this, I'm out.
Jun 24, 4:10 AM
Aug 2017
Reply to Myetx
To all commenting about peak cinema, drama, how realistic it is etc.
Why not push it further? How would you feel if Kitauji actually won't win gold in nationals? Surely that would be realistic given how much tension was in the club during the year, right?
3 seasons, all build-up - all just to stay that's life it happens. At least we enjoyed nice character development, right?
For me this drama ends here, I am not interested in the finale anymore.
@Myetx I hope they don't win, the author is a moron that is looking more into the future than the present. If this was the end of the series she would win, the only reason she lost is because he needs something to do in a long term. And I also lost the interest, I don't really want to watch the entire life grown of Kumiko. Clearly author wants to extend this till she dies from age.
Jun 24, 4:13 AM
Aug 2017
Reply to sirwence
@DuckCross source material is LN and its entirely different then this
@sirwence bro wtf, the author eats shit to make her lose. I don't believe I'm going to say that about my fav studio, but are they eating shit??(It was the studio)
MarknnzJun 24, 4:23 AM
Jun 24, 4:18 AM
Oct 2018
I think kumiko deserve soli part, this is her last concert with Reina. Idk man i got shock when audition has went to polling again but, maybe this time kumiko will bring gold and national champ as club president. Otherwise,this is the final adaptation from novel.
Shinn_AflyJun 24, 4:21 AM
Jun 24, 4:19 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to Marknnz
@Myetx I hope they don't win, the author is a moron that is looking more into the future than the present. If this was the end of the series she would win, the only reason she lost is because he needs something to do in a long term. And I also lost the interest, I don't really want to watch the entire life grown of Kumiko. Clearly author wants to extend this till she dies from age.
@Marknnz Well it is actually not the author. Anime is based on light novels and surprise surprise:
Jun 24, 4:19 AM
Aug 2017
Reply to heinzmostarda
10 years.

10 freaking years waiting for this moment for them to to just crush us like that.

It just feels like it all was for nothing.

I mean the whole point of the show since season 1 was to get gold.
Gold, gold, gold. That was the main objective all these years. And all of the drama in the show surrounded that.

But what's the point now?
It feels like that objective has become completely meaningless.

Now only the conclusion remains and Kitauji will probably win but who cares? It's just so underwhelming.
@heinzmostarda What are you saying bro, don't you see all ppl that liked? Wait more 10 years and maybe her decisions will pay off. Bunch of clowns honestly. Every "love" I had with this animes is completely lost, imagine wasting so many time, so many development, just to this. It's anime, if I wanted to see people get fked I would just look out of my window. Sometimes I wouldn't even go that far.
Jun 24, 4:23 AM
Aug 2017
Reply to Myetx
@Marknnz Well it is actually not the author. Anime is based on light novels and surprise surprise:
@Myetx i just read that, I don't even know how the fuck this awesome studio would come with that kind of garbage. Unbelievable.
Jun 24, 4:41 AM

Jul 2013
This was one of the most beautiful episodes of Hibike Euphonium for me.

I am very proud of all the characters and especially Kumiko. Her conversation with Taki was also incredibly touching. There are more important things in life than who gets to play the euphonium soli part in a high school orchestra and Kumiko proved how much she matured.
She went from a person who is always on the sidelines, not investing herself in anything (or as Asuka said, keeping everyone at arm's length while wanting others to open up to her) to a mature person that everybody relies on, who is a just leader and puts her ideal before her personal wishes. She knows how much this win means to everyone involved, especially Taki, and chose to secure it by any means necessary.

She is thankfully still playing alongside everyone in the finals so she will be a part of their possible win no matter who plays the soli, and a major one at that (a much more brutal ending that would convey the same feeling but in a much more "tragic" way would be if she was not chosen for that despite leading the club and doing all this; it would be truly like a professor leading their perfect team to victory while not being able to be a part of the performance even though that team exists only because of her).

Now we know that in the next episode Kitauji will present itself in their absolute perfect form, show their undoubtful peak performance and can proudly say they did their very best no matter what the outcome ends up being.

I don't know what happens in the novel but, without this scene, Mayu's character would also lack depth. She presents the old Kumiko that doesn't speak her mind and doesn't want anybody to hate her while also keeping everyone at arm's length. But. She is her true self while playing.
She is a conformist but euphonium is the one thing she can't willingly let go.
So this is a step forward for her and we can see that her friendship with Tsubame just might be what prompts her to find herself further. This is very fitting since Kumiko claims that Reina, who always sticks up for her ideals, is the one who changed her.

I am sad this show is ending but I am still very excited to see the last episode and (hopefully) Kitauji's long awaited triumph nonetheless.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jun 24, 5:23 AM
Nov 2023
Marknnz said:

I would watch that. I'd love to see Kumiko as the advisor, like Taki, with a whole different set of protagonists. As long as they don't do what love live did and completely rehash the entire plot with minor differences, I think that would be a great story.
Jun 24, 5:31 AM
Dec 2019
Masterpiece, Peak fiction, Magnum Opus
Jun 24, 5:38 AM
Oct 2018
Reply to SenshadouOtaku
MeijinKei said:
If Kumiko and Mayu have the same level of ability why did Reina choose Mayu?

It’s simple. It’s because Reina didn’t recognize Kumiko’s sound. Now as for why Reina didn’t recognize Kumiko’s sound is a different topic and a question I would like answered
@SenshadouOtaku i think Reina knows, but her choose who sound the best for soli part.
Jun 24, 5:52 AM
Jan 2021
Marinate1016 said:
So this is it folks. One last episode of Hibike Euphonium.. can you believe it.. everything we’ve built up to for a decade has led to this next episode.

Just a gut wrenching episode. It hurts so damn much just like my baby Kumiko said.. but I have to give credit to the author for not going the traditional route and having the heroine win in the end. This whole season was about establishing a meritocracy where the best players are playing.

If you want something you’ve never had before, you have to be prepared to do things you’ve never done before and sadly Kumiko was a casualty of that. If it’s what it takes for Kitauji to win gold, I think it’ll be worth it in the end, but man.. seeing Kumiko and Reina breakdown like that.. one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking scenes kyoani have ever made and a perfect callback to season 1 where they met in that same spot.

The Kanade scene broke me too 💔 fuck I wanted them to be able to play together so bad. Life is so cruel and sometimes we just don’t get the things we want or deserve..

I’m glad we at least finally got some sort of mutual understanding between Mayu and Kumiko. This should’ve put to bed any of the concerns people had about Mayu being vindictive or wanting to break Kumiko down. Having that fallout with her friend over the music club makes everything make more sense. She’s already been established as a person who doesn’t want to offend anyone at any costs as well, she didn’t even wanna choose a drink at the beach for fear of taking something someone else wanted, so her acting that way was in line with her character.

Just can’t believe it’s all over next week. Kumiko future, nationals.. all comes to a head.. fuck. OVA or something please

the author did make Kumiko win, Kyoani just flipped the script for no reason
Jun 24, 5:55 AM
Oct 2019
I almost never comment on episodes, so this is the exception.
damn that episode got to me in a way, It was very impactful as someone who has been with this series for almost a decade now.
Animation is next level for a cry.
And my goodness i never seen such a dysfunctional relationship in anime like this
Is like reina is a terrible person and she even knows it but cant help it. She just accepts it.
But i understand why she felt that way
Reina wants to play with kumiko. She wants kumiko to play better. But when reina realizes yea kumiko doesnt have legit skills to be pro. When kumiko plays. Reina felt betrayed in her own mind. Because how can kumiko say she wants to play with reina but play worse than that mayu girl. Reina felt betrayed by this. She knows if she picks kumiko she will loose the nationals which is her goal. And reina already felt hurt when kumiko didnt want to go to music school either. Its why her playing wasnt as good either. And of course kumiko feels betrayed by reina because she thought reina would pick her in the end. And kumiko also feels upset because despite giving her best effort her literal ganbatte mode. She still fails to surpass mayu. And mayu of course lied about giving up the soli part.
This is how i understood this. Reina knew how kumiko sounded and she could have picked her. But she also knew kumiko sound was worse for the team. And that is why she felt upset about it.

Reina doesnt want repeat of losing first time. Is reason why she got angry at kumiko first episode because kumiko didnt understand why she was upset. Kumiko saw it as just a music club no reason to take it serious but now kumiko understands that reina wanted to play with kumiko in big leagues all along
Its very pretty. But damn this anime sure is something now.
I really love these two but they are both quite awful towards each other too
Hibike shows even if you try your best it wont work. And level of pasison isnt there
It might be small hints because kumiko doesnt have a passion for music unlike reina. Is why kumiko is like dame music school janai
So that already tells you kumiko doesnt have passion for music as much. So thats why kumiko doesnt play as good as mayu
Kumiko was taking it easy in early season because she was only good eupho player. No competiton except her seniors like asuka. But when same level girl shows up kumiko i guess sort of knew she has real competition now

reina is passionate for music she is autistic for music thats her whole thing. Kumiko has intrest in music but not the same level she got into music from her sister and her sister quit music anyways. So kumiko and reina are fundamentally diffrent.

I guess this scene sort of makes sense now.
https://media1.tenor.com/m/0VauZVtUTOgAAAAd/confession-anime.gif
xMoriSummerxJun 24, 5:58 AM
Jun 24, 6:07 AM

Oct 2018
imagine they get bronze

Jun 24, 6:12 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to mo_lave
@watsym Jukki is involved? So it explains why I get echoes of Yorimoi's episode 12 here.
@mo_lave Yeah, both episodes got me, beautiful.
He's really worked on a lot of good series recently. Girls Band Cry from this season also credits him and is an anime original.
Jun 24, 6:30 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Marknnz
@Myetx i just read that, I don't even know how the fuck this awesome studio would come with that kind of garbage. Unbelievable.
@Marknnz the proposal and change was made by Hanada, who also wrote A place further than the universe
Jun 24, 6:33 AM

Mar 2023
@ricky78 "In regards to my stance, I think the anime is a wonderful work of art in its own right, and that the original novel has been respectfully reconstructed.

I have expressed my opinions about possible changes that are beyond my tolerance and these have been reflected in the script, so I feel safe and satisfied leaving the work to the staff! I feel like the story is in good hands."

https://twitter.com/ayanotakeda/status/1805076648510828631
Jun 24, 7:01 AM
Nov 2023
After thinking about it for quite a bit, I'm convinced that this was the right choice. And the reason comes down to understanding the medium.

I write a serial fiction, myself. I can show you if you want, but I won't link it here. One thing I've learned was that because of the medium I chose, some choices aren't possible for me, and some that don't make any sense I have to do anyway because I can't tell the story properly without them. The LN and anime are fundamentally two different media. Anime is a visual medium, and the producers had some scenes they needed to tie back, such as the one where Kumiko runs her finger down Reina's face, resembling the scene from S1E8. In order to tell the story they needed to, they had to set up a situation where the scene called for it, so they needed to make a change. Also, they may have been setting up something for S13 that we don't know yet.

And honestly, it's probably a "for the better" change anyway. What actually happened allows us to explore the characters of Reina and Kumiko in a way that couldn't have been done previously. And we already know Kumiko's not going to music school, her character arc is already satisfied. She's grown in every way she needed to, she does not have to play the solo to have her character fully realized and developed.

I understand that all of this is separate from the frustration, as Kanade said. It says a great deal about this anime and the person who wrote it that we all care about it so much, and I wanted to see Kumiko succeed as well. I understand that, I understand Kanade's feelings, I understand Kumiko's, and I understand Reina's. I don't agree with those calling this garbage, though. Do you think Kanade thought Reina was garbage for her choice? Do you think Kumiko did? Someone earlier asked how to deal with the frustration. Kumiko and Reina both gave us that answer. Find a bridge and scream off it.

I'm not really joking.

But at the end of the day, this anime, no matter how it turns out, has been a gift, and I can be nothing but grateful for it.
Jun 24, 7:11 AM

Jul 2017
So I was reflecting on this episode and I have a few reasons why I thought it was so good and it actually makes complete sense that Kumkio did not get the solli. I believe this because it is very in line with the character development of both Kumiko and Reina and enforces the story that is being told.

Reina:
Reina's rock solid ambition from the first moment we see her is to win. Winning gold in the nationals is, by far, her most important ambition. When Reina knowingly chooses Mayu over Kumiko she sticks to her convictions and makes the decision that she believes will achieve her goal. However this choice is extremely difficult for her because it means breaking the promise to her best friend. Reina already said in a previous episode that she has to separate from Kumiko because their lives are not going to go in the same direction, but Kumiko convinces her that it is not the case, it is not goodbye because she won't let that happen. So of course choosing Mayu is soul crushing for Reina, but at the same time she had to do what she thinks will achieve her dream and she has learned to trust their friendship will be able to take it. Heart wrenching stuff that really reinforces Reina's character. She still chases her dreams, but it is no longer that simple for her.

Kumiko:
The most important part of Kumiko's role in S3 has been that she is now club president. We still don't know for sure what her plans for the future are, but the timing of her handing in the form is fully intentional. It is foreshadowed that she might end up pursuing being a music teacher. Even in this episode she says in a roundabout way that she wants to become "like Taki-sensei". Either way we know for sure that she isn't pursuing becoming a professional musician. And fittingly, it was Kumiko's leadership that took them to the nationals, not her musical performance. Right before the audition, Kumiko decides what path she will pursue by handing in the form, and whatever it says, it's not professional music performance. When Mayu got the solli part, Kumiko steps in and takes responsibility as their leader yet again. Kumiko got endless opportunities to get the part through seniority and just by merit of being president. But again and again and again she refused that path. She decided that the most important thing was being a good president, giving everyone a fair chance and standing up for the meritocracy she herself implemented. Again, it's not her playing that is most important, but her leadership. She is finding her role in the world, and while not getting the solli undoubtedly sucks, storytelling-wise it gives her another chance to prioritize the leader role, and as such enforces her character and her future.

And while unrelated to the story, that last scene is simply some of the best animation I've seen in any piece of media ever.
KnockturnalNORJun 24, 7:29 AM
Jun 24, 7:25 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to KnockturnalNOR
So I was reflecting on this episode and I have a few reasons why I thought it was so good and it actually makes complete sense that Kumkio did not get the solli. I believe this because it is very in line with the character development of both Kumiko and Reina and enforces the story that is being told.

Reina:
Reina's rock solid ambition from the first moment we see her is to win. Winning gold in the nationals is, by far, her most important ambition. When Reina knowingly chooses Mayu over Kumiko she sticks to her convictions and makes the decision that she believes will achieve her goal. However this choice is extremely difficult for her because it means breaking the promise to her best friend. Reina already said in a previous episode that she has to separate from Kumiko because their lives are not going to go in the same direction, but Kumiko convinces her that it is not the case, it is not goodbye because she won't let that happen. So of course choosing Mayu is soul crushing for Reina, but at the same time she had to do what she thinks will achieve her dream and she has learned to trust their friendship will be able to take it. Heart wrenching stuff that really reinforces Reina's character. She still chases her dreams, but it is no longer that simple for her.

Kumiko:
The most important part of Kumiko's role in S3 has been that she is now club president. We still don't know for sure what her plans for the future are, but the timing of her handing in the form is fully intentional. It is foreshadowed that she might end up pursuing being a music teacher. Even in this episode she says in a roundabout way that she wants to become "like Taki-sensei". Either way we know for sure that she isn't pursuing becoming a professional musician. And fittingly, it was Kumiko's leadership that took them to the nationals, not her musical performance. Right before the audition, Kumiko decides what path she will pursue by handing in the form, and whatever it says, it's not professional music performance. When Mayu got the solli part, Kumiko steps in and takes responsibility as their leader yet again. Kumiko got endless opportunities to get the part through seniority and just by merit of being president. But again and again and again she refused that path. She decided that the most important thing was being a good president, giving everyone a fair chance and standing up for the meritocracy she herself implemented. Again, it's not her playing that is most important, but her leadership. She is finding her role in the world, and while not getting the solli undoubtedly sucks, storytelling-wise it gives her another chance to prioritize the leader role, and as such enforces her character and her future.

And while unrelated to the story, that last scene is simply some of the best animation I've seen in any piece of media ever.
KnockturnalNOR said:
And fittingly, it was Kumiko's _leadership_ that took them to the nationals, not her musical performance

I agree. They would not have gotten even past Kansai if it weren't for Kumiko.
Jun 24, 8:02 AM

Feb 2019
zzzepie said:
Marinate1016 said:
So this is it folks. One last episode of Hibike Euphonium.. can you believe it.. everything we’ve built up to for a decade has led to this next episode.

Just a gut wrenching episode. It hurts so damn much just like my baby Kumiko said.. but I have to give credit to the author for not going the traditional route and having the heroine win in the end. This whole season was about establishing a meritocracy where the best players are playing.

If you want something you’ve never had before, you have to be prepared to do things you’ve never done before and sadly Kumiko was a casualty of that. If it’s what it takes for Kitauji to win gold, I think it’ll be worth it in the end, but man.. seeing Kumiko and Reina breakdown like that.. one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking scenes kyoani have ever made and a perfect callback to season 1 where they met in that same spot.

The Kanade scene broke me too 💔 fuck I wanted them to be able to play together so bad. Life is so cruel and sometimes we just don’t get the things we want or deserve..

I’m glad we at least finally got some sort of mutual understanding between Mayu and Kumiko. This should’ve put to bed any of the concerns people had about Mayu being vindictive or wanting to break Kumiko down. Having that fallout with her friend over the music club makes everything make more sense. She’s already been established as a person who doesn’t want to offend anyone at any costs as well, she didn’t even wanna choose a drink at the beach for fear of taking something someone else wanted, so her acting that way was in line with her character.

Just can’t believe it’s all over next week. Kumiko future, nationals.. all comes to a head.. fuck. OVA or something please

the author did make Kumiko win, Kyoani just flipped the script for no reason

Well way to spoil the LN.
Jun 24, 10:38 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to lycoping
After thinking about it for quite a bit, I'm convinced that this was the right choice. And the reason comes down to understanding the medium.

I write a serial fiction, myself. I can show you if you want, but I won't link it here. One thing I've learned was that because of the medium I chose, some choices aren't possible for me, and some that don't make any sense I have to do anyway because I can't tell the story properly without them. The LN and anime are fundamentally two different media. Anime is a visual medium, and the producers had some scenes they needed to tie back, such as the one where Kumiko runs her finger down Reina's face, resembling the scene from S1E8. In order to tell the story they needed to, they had to set up a situation where the scene called for it, so they needed to make a change. Also, they may have been setting up something for S13 that we don't know yet.

And honestly, it's probably a "for the better" change anyway. What actually happened allows us to explore the characters of Reina and Kumiko in a way that couldn't have been done previously. And we already know Kumiko's not going to music school, her character arc is already satisfied. She's grown in every way she needed to, she does not have to play the solo to have her character fully realized and developed.

I understand that all of this is separate from the frustration, as Kanade said. It says a great deal about this anime and the person who wrote it that we all care about it so much, and I wanted to see Kumiko succeed as well. I understand that, I understand Kanade's feelings, I understand Kumiko's, and I understand Reina's. I don't agree with those calling this garbage, though. Do you think Kanade thought Reina was garbage for her choice? Do you think Kumiko did? Someone earlier asked how to deal with the frustration. Kumiko and Reina both gave us that answer. Find a bridge and scream off it.

I'm not really joking.

But at the end of the day, this anime, no matter how it turns out, has been a gift, and I can be nothing but grateful for it.
@lycoping Very interesting perspective, thanks for sharing! I think this change elevates Kumiko not as a character, but as a person more, if that makes any sense. I have been complaining in previous threads about the lack of performances, but her losing the solo makes the direction of this season seem all the more deliberate, as we see her trying to navigate becoming a leader, growing up, and as it seems, also growing apart from her good friend. Honestly with there being so many perspectives about this, I can't fault those who are disappointed (and even distraught) with the result either, even as I'm content with how everything has turned out. I think it's one hell of an achievement for a story to invite such discussion, where both sides can have equally valid viewpoints.
Jun 24, 11:24 AM

Sep 2007
I thought that the first soloist was effectively better and that it was Mayu. Her score was softer and more fluid to the ear given that she had no hesitation to play at her best level.
And the fact that Reina knowingly chose Mayu was beautiful and sad at the same time
Jun 24, 11:36 AM
Feb 2021
this will be my first ever post on this website. this episode BROKE me. like part of me had a feeling that Kumiko wouldn't win, but knowing that Reina was the tie breaker and voted for Mayu, even while knowing which euph sound was Kumikos hurt alot. and then Kanade crying made me cry, then Reina and Kumiko crying only made me cry more. one more episode then it's all over. this whole season has been an emotional rollercoaster for me and I don't want it to end :( also I like that it went anime original instead of the novel route tbh, even if it still hurts that Kumiko did not get it. this is my favorite anime of this season, along with Girls Band Cry.
Jun 24, 11:51 AM
Apr 2020
Kumiko has grown up the way she wanted, while some of us still can't.
Jun 24, 12:51 PM
Dec 2023
While I'm emotionally disappointed with the result of the soli going to Mayu based on Reina's final (knowing) decision between the soloists, this seems to fit better with regards to the story that the anime has been developing with Kumiko's decisions and motivations. She has been wavering this whole time about her future until the last episode to potentially make a decision to go to music school, even though she knows she isn't one of those "special" students who really has the drive and talent to succeed as a musician. Reina knows this, but was originally pushing Kumiko towards that direction so that she could stay "close" to each other and not "lose touch". Kimiko finally makes the decision to no longer delude herself and closes the door on that option after Mizore's blunt (but effective and accurate) assessment, but also reassures Reina that they will not lose touch even after they part ways in their journey.

Kimiko also is mature enough to understand after hearing Mayu's backstory that Mayu is also deluding herself in thinking that all she wants to do is to play in the band and get along with everyone. Mayu's playing reflects a desire, work ethic, and talent to take on the solo and deep down she wanted it. Reina understands this difference and finally makes the decision to choose Mayu to do the solo, since it is the best for the band's success, even though in her heart she desperately wants to play at Nationals with Kimiko. Both Kimiko and Reina understand this is the best choice for the band, but are still heartbroken because of their hearts' desire to play with each other at Nationals.

Really beautifully written and animated scene between Reina and Kimiko at the end of the episode reflecting the decisions and guilt each of the girls feels with the resolution. One of my favorite scenes ever.
Jun 24, 1:27 PM

Sep 2022
Look I understand that opinions vary and many genuine like the change that KyoAni did.
However let's not retcon things that were not there.
Firstly, that's not true that Mayu is better player than Kumiko. Kumiko easily won first audition, Reina said that she sounded better (and she wouldn't lie) and original author eventually gave uncontested victory to Kumiko. So Kumiko was better player and only temporary loss of Kumiko's focus made Mayu win regional audition.
Secondly, the fact the Kumiko is not going to music school doesn't mean she doesn't deserve soli. And we know that Kumiko really likes to play euph. Does Mayu go to music school? As far as we know, most of kids haven't gone or not planning to go to music schools after.
Thirdly, the was an obvious build-up for Kumiko to take back solo. Just because it was expected does not mean it was bad. That's basic storywriting to foreshadow events so reader is prepared for them. To swap things at the last minute is not peak cinema - it is bait and switch.
Jun 24, 2:59 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Myetx
Look I understand that opinions vary and many genuine like the change that KyoAni did.
However let's not retcon things that were not there.
Firstly, that's not true that Mayu is better player than Kumiko. Kumiko easily won first audition, Reina said that she sounded better (and she wouldn't lie) and original author eventually gave uncontested victory to Kumiko. So Kumiko was better player and only temporary loss of Kumiko's focus made Mayu win regional audition.
Secondly, the fact the Kumiko is not going to music school doesn't mean she doesn't deserve soli. And we know that Kumiko really likes to play euph. Does Mayu go to music school? As far as we know, most of kids haven't gone or not planning to go to music schools after.
Thirdly, the was an obvious build-up for Kumiko to take back solo. Just because it was expected does not mean it was bad. That's basic storywriting to foreshadow events so reader is prepared for them. To swap things at the last minute is not peak cinema - it is bait and switch.
Myetx said:
To swap things at the last minute is not peak cinema - it is bait and switch.

I don't agree.

Look, I'm a writer and a composer, too. Those two things aren't really all that different. When it comes to music, part of a composer's job is to play with expectations. Sometimes you come across a situation (or deliberately lead up to it) where you come to a fork in a road - there are two different chords you can use. One of them is the expected chord, and one of them is a very unexpected chord. If you take the unexpected one, it gives the music a flavor that it absolutely would not have if you were to stick to the "correct" one. That could be seen as "bait and switch" on the one hand, but on the other, it could be seen as "subverting the reader's/listener's expectations." - which is the job of a good writer.

Soundscape (S2 OP) has one of these chords in the very beginning, btw. An A sharp major chord where there should be a F sharp major chord. And it would not be the same without it.

And I think they did a masterful job of that. Was it the *right* choice? I think it made perfect sense, but I'm not everyone.

I think if I had any criticism at all of this, it's the very deliberate and *obvious* way they pushed the plot (and I mean transparently *pushed* the plot) into forcing Reina to be the one to make the choice. It feels a little artificial to me, and it started the moment Michie said "- and Kuroe Mayu". It wasn't so much a bait and switch as pushing the plot hard to reach the result they needed. That I wasn't too fond of.

The motivation for Reina's choice, though, once she had to make it, was made absolutely clear by Kumiko herself. She wasn't confident, and her sound showed it. Reina picked up on it. She then had to choose - Winning and Taki, or Kumiko? How could she choose differently, knowing Reina?

Look, I know you're disappointed. A lot of people are. I get it. But this is one of those situations where you take it for what it is... or you don't. You're not really left a third option rather than be upset. And, maybe... that's the kind of upset that lets you identify with Kumiko, after all. Because she was just as upset, and for much the same reason. Paradoxically, that's kind of what makes this awesome. You share her emotions. And it takes a really good writer to make you do that.
Jun 24, 3:10 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to SUPER_CANNES
@lycoping Very interesting perspective, thanks for sharing! I think this change elevates Kumiko not as a character, but as a person more, if that makes any sense. I have been complaining in previous threads about the lack of performances, but her losing the solo makes the direction of this season seem all the more deliberate, as we see her trying to navigate becoming a leader, growing up, and as it seems, also growing apart from her good friend. Honestly with there being so many perspectives about this, I can't fault those who are disappointed (and even distraught) with the result either, even as I'm content with how everything has turned out. I think it's one hell of an achievement for a story to invite such discussion, where both sides can have equally valid viewpoints.
SUPER_CANNES said:
I think it's one hell of an achievement for a story to invite such discussion, where both sides can have equally valid viewpoints.

Absolutely. But while I understand people having an emotional reaction and being upset, I am a little disappointed in how people call it "garbage" , etc.

Look, I have my criticisms. One of my biggest is that the pacing of this season is all off. The could have doubled the number of episodes, and it would have been much more in line with what we'd expect out of KyoAni. I also don't really like how they basically shoved the plot around to get where they wanted and went for maximum drama, even when it actually kind of took you out of the story a bit. I don't think it's perfect.

But "garbage" is really harsh. There's a reason this anime is really loved, and a reason why it causes such an intense emotional reaction, and that's because it really is a good story and a good anime. They made characters that you grow to respect, admire, and even in some ways love. You're invested in them so much that when they're "screwed over" you can't help but have an emotional reaction. But that in itself makes it not garbage. That makes it awesome. And I wish at the very least people could pull back enough from their emotional reactions to see how much their emotional reaction itself belies the idea that it's "garbage".

Kumiko, Reina, etc., will always be in our hearts. And for fictional characters that have nothing to do with real life, well... that's why I love anime, even though there's so much out there that actually *is* garbage. Some that I just think is, and some that is pretty much, objectively, garbage. There's no way this qualifies as that.
Jun 24, 3:23 PM

Apr 2019
Damn man, if it wasn't already painful enough to have Reina pick Mayu over Kumiko, they include a piano version of 'Sound! Euphonium' to really hit you in the feels.
Jun 24, 3:56 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to lycoping
SUPER_CANNES said:
I think it's one hell of an achievement for a story to invite such discussion, where both sides can have equally valid viewpoints.

Absolutely. But while I understand people having an emotional reaction and being upset, I am a little disappointed in how people call it "garbage" , etc.

Look, I have my criticisms. One of my biggest is that the pacing of this season is all off. The could have doubled the number of episodes, and it would have been much more in line with what we'd expect out of KyoAni. I also don't really like how they basically shoved the plot around to get where they wanted and went for maximum drama, even when it actually kind of took you out of the story a bit. I don't think it's perfect.

But "garbage" is really harsh. There's a reason this anime is really loved, and a reason why it causes such an intense emotional reaction, and that's because it really is a good story and a good anime. They made characters that you grow to respect, admire, and even in some ways love. You're invested in them so much that when they're "screwed over" you can't help but have an emotional reaction. But that in itself makes it not garbage. That makes it awesome. And I wish at the very least people could pull back enough from their emotional reactions to see how much their emotional reaction itself belies the idea that it's "garbage".

Kumiko, Reina, etc., will always be in our hearts. And for fictional characters that have nothing to do with real life, well... that's why I love anime, even though there's so much out there that actually *is* garbage. Some that I just think is, and some that is pretty much, objectively, garbage. There's no way this qualifies as that.
@lycoping First of all thank you for polite response.
I think I could accept Kumiko's defeat much easier if I didn't know that she won in novel.
Or at least if it wasn't as torturous as it was in drama. Like Taki would voted for Mayu and explained it to Kumiko. But to have draw, then draw again and then having Reina putting knife into her heart is just too much to handle.
Jun 24, 3:57 PM
Sep 2022
I'm speechless...

I absolutely love this episode. I was mad, I cried, I was upset, but I actually love it from the bottom of my heart. KyoAni absolutely nailed with ep 12. Definitely the best episode in all "Hibike Euphonium" series, so far. 12/10 👏
Jun 24, 4:24 PM
Mar 2023
So what career or future goal did Kumiko pick? The teacher seemed to imply it was very obvious.
Jun 24, 5:37 PM
Nov 2018
The problem isn’t how they changed the ending, but how forced it feels.

First of all Kumiko and Mayu were supposed to be equal in ability, occasionally one is better than the other but in the end their plays do come out to be so close that Taki couldn’t decide and the votes literally tied before Reina. That is a fact.
Then why did Reina pick Mayu over Kumiko? According to Kumiko it’s because she let her hesitation show for a bit in her play. Yeah that makes sense because our Reina is always direct and unwavering in her belief that only the best should play, great characterization.

The problem is Kumiko’s hesitation.
The sources of her hesitation were three: first the concert band members, second her own future, third Mayu. The first problem was due to the executives decision to make auditions happen multiple times and the first years feeling pressured. This was resolved when Kumiko gave the speech at Kansai competition which reassured and united everyone. The second problem was Kumiko feeling conflicted about her future, similar to Mizore and Nozomi in Liz and the blue bird. This was resolved in the last episode where she realized that neither music nor herself is meant for each other, and brought it up to Reina. The third one was seen revealed in this episode, where Kumiko acknowledged that she feared losing to Mayu because Mayu is such a strong player. This was resolved when Mayu opened up for the first time and Kumiko apologizing for neglecting Mayu’s calls for help.

So why did Kumiko hesitate again? Well she shouldn’t! Because in the novel she had everything worked out right before the audition, there isn’t even a blind audition, she won the first one!
Originally, these three sources of anxiety were what caused Kumiko to lose the Kansai Soli, but in the span of 3 episodes we all witnessed her maturing and solving these problems one by one. It was self discovery, courageous face down, a step to conquer one’s biggest fears that was supposed to result in success but apparently didn't because after all these feelings and experience she’s still hesitating :,) if that isn’t forced plot I don’t know what is.

I’m not calling the plot change bad, in fact I really appreciated the bittersweet ending and think the anime’s production was no short of extraordinary. But if you’re altering the literal ending of an anime of this size, you gotta change things down the line to at least make it reasonable and fitting with the given premise.

For example, show more perspective on Mayu. Remember, they are equal in ability. If all we’ve been shown is Kumiko’s hard work and growth, how do you expect us to just accept that after all this improvement Kumiko is still worse? At least show some parts of Mayu’s personal growth so we know it’s a fair battle between two maturing individuals?

Also, if Kumiko still has unresolved problems, at least give some signs. In the Kansai audition, we can clearly see that the atmosphere at the club is extremely tense, Kumiko has reservations against Mayu, and Reina warned her that she’s been called out more by Taki. But for this? Heck Kumiko is the one to reach out and open up with Mayu, and you’re telling me she is actually feeling lost at heart still about not going to a music university?

Well, guess we will find out how well ep 12 fixes some of these plot holes.
Jun 24, 5:58 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Myetx
I think I could accept Kumiko's defeat much easier if I didn't know that she won in novel.
Or at least if it wasn't as torturous as it was in drama. Like Taki would voted for Mayu and explained it to Kumiko. But to have draw, then draw again and then having Reina putting knife into her heart is just too much to handle.
Myetx said:

Of course. At the end of the day, it's just an anime.
Jun 24, 6:00 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to mk2000_
So what career or future goal did Kumiko pick? The teacher seemed to imply it was very obvious.
mk2000_ said:

There's been some speculation on that in the threads above. I would recommend digging back through, because telling you would technically be a violation of the rule against talking about the source material.

Not that that rule hasn't been blown out of the water in seven different ways, but still.
Jun 24, 6:12 PM

Jun 2007
Very powerful and bittersweet. I'm glad that KyoAni stuck to their guns and changed the story and the outcome, which is something I wasn't aware of coming into this episode. Not without some personal gripes at the outcome, but, after sleeping on it, I think it's narratively better for the growth of everyone as characters. For one, "defeat" for Kumiko in this sense allows for Reina and her to reconcile and build a deeper connection as friends with deep bonds beyond just the confines of music. They have something much stronger that now won't just end even after they go their different directions after graduating. If KyoAni wanted extremes in human emotions, they certainly made the right calls...

I voted for the 2nd audition, probably knowing to some extent that it was Kumiko. I think I've been spoiled by other anime like Nodame Cantabile in preferring more dynamic and expressive performances, so Kumiko's performance was my preference. But I also understand that Mayu played a more technically solid performance. She's a much safer choice to win gold at nationals where scoring arbitrary points matter, and so on.

This all makes me think back to high school where I both played in band as a trumpet and also played sports. I had an immense amount of self-pride but had to swallow it and step aside when other people who were clearly better than me took first chair and first part from me, or took my 2nd place batting spot in baseball and put me down to 7th...all for the good of the team. It still wasn't good enough to win anything, but it did teach me a few things in life that I've taken forward.

I just hope that after all the personal sacrifice and turmoil that they win gold at nationals. Although, the cynic in me would see the irony in the "realistic" outcome of them coming short. After all there's only ever one winner in a competition of many. I haven't been spoiled on the ending, but regardless I'm hoping that they do win.
Jun 24, 6:15 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Kjeldoran109
Very powerful and bittersweet. I'm glad that KyoAni stuck to their guns and changed the story and the outcome, which is something I wasn't aware of coming into this episode. Not without some personal gripes at the outcome, but, after sleeping on it, I think it's narratively better for the growth of everyone as characters. For one, "defeat" for Kumiko in this sense allows for Reina and her to reconcile and build a deeper connection as friends with deep bonds beyond just the confines of music. They have something much stronger that now won't just end even after they go their different directions after graduating. If KyoAni wanted extremes in human emotions, they certainly made the right calls...

I voted for the 2nd audition, probably knowing to some extent that it was Kumiko. I think I've been spoiled by other anime like Nodame Cantabile in preferring more dynamic and expressive performances, so Kumiko's performance was my preference. But I also understand that Mayu played a more technically solid performance. She's a much safer choice to win gold at nationals where scoring arbitrary points matter, and so on.

This all makes me think back to high school where I both played in band as a trumpet and also played sports. I had an immense amount of self-pride but had to swallow it and step aside when other people who were clearly better than me took first chair and first part from me, or took my 2nd place batting spot in baseball and put me down to 7th...all for the good of the team. It still wasn't good enough to win anything, but it did teach me a few things in life that I've taken forward.

I just hope that after all the personal sacrifice and turmoil that they win gold at nationals. Although, the cynic in me would see the irony in the "realistic" outcome of them coming short. After all there's only ever one winner in a competition of many. I haven't been spoiled on the ending, but regardless I'm hoping that they do win.
Kjeldoran109 said:
I haven't been spoiled on the ending, but regardless I'm hoping that they do win.

Quite honestly, the ending is up in the air. Even if you were to get "spoiled", they've already deviated from LN, so who knows how it will end up. That's actually pretty unique about this - knowing how the LN ends gives you nothing but a general idea of how it *might* turn out, now.

Maybe that's why they've been a little lax on rule 1.. in this case, it kinda doesn't matter, actually.
Jun 24, 6:30 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to cu1923
The problem isn’t how they changed the ending, but how forced it feels.

First of all Kumiko and Mayu were supposed to be equal in ability, occasionally one is better than the other but in the end their plays do come out to be so close that Taki couldn’t decide and the votes literally tied before Reina. That is a fact.
Then why did Reina pick Mayu over Kumiko? According to Kumiko it’s because she let her hesitation show for a bit in her play. Yeah that makes sense because our Reina is always direct and unwavering in her belief that only the best should play, great characterization.

The problem is Kumiko’s hesitation.
The sources of her hesitation were three: first the concert band members, second her own future, third Mayu. The first problem was due to the executives decision to make auditions happen multiple times and the first years feeling pressured. This was resolved when Kumiko gave the speech at Kansai competition which reassured and united everyone. The second problem was Kumiko feeling conflicted about her future, similar to Mizore and Nozomi in Liz and the blue bird. This was resolved in the last episode where she realized that neither music nor herself is meant for each other, and brought it up to Reina. The third one was seen revealed in this episode, where Kumiko acknowledged that she feared losing to Mayu because Mayu is such a strong player. This was resolved when Mayu opened up for the first time and Kumiko apologizing for neglecting Mayu’s calls for help.

So why did Kumiko hesitate again? Well she shouldn’t! Because in the novel she had everything worked out right before the audition, there isn’t even a blind audition, she won the first one!
Originally, these three sources of anxiety were what caused Kumiko to lose the Kansai Soli, but in the span of 3 episodes we all witnessed her maturing and solving these problems one by one. It was self discovery, courageous face down, a step to conquer one’s biggest fears that was supposed to result in success but apparently didn't because after all these feelings and experience she’s still hesitating :,) if that isn’t forced plot I don’t know what is.

I’m not calling the plot change bad, in fact I really appreciated the bittersweet ending and think the anime’s production was no short of extraordinary. But if you’re altering the literal ending of an anime of this size, you gotta change things down the line to at least make it reasonable and fitting with the given premise.

For example, show more perspective on Mayu. Remember, they are equal in ability. If all we’ve been shown is Kumiko’s hard work and growth, how do you expect us to just accept that after all this improvement Kumiko is still worse? At least show some parts of Mayu’s personal growth so we know it’s a fair battle between two maturing individuals?

Also, if Kumiko still has unresolved problems, at least give some signs. In the Kansai audition, we can clearly see that the atmosphere at the club is extremely tense, Kumiko has reservations against Mayu, and Reina warned her that she’s been called out more by Taki. But for this? Heck Kumiko is the one to reach out and open up with Mayu, and you’re telling me she is actually feeling lost at heart still about not going to a music university?

Well, guess we will find out how well ep 12 fixes some of these plot holes.
@cu1923 That's a very good point. You cannot simply leave all story development and build-up for result A and then just swap it for result B for more dramatic effect. It's like writing 2+2=5.
Jun 24, 8:35 PM
Nov 2023
bullshit adaptation
i cant believe Hanada did this, does he hate Kumiko or something?? who on earth will give the last chance of soli to Mayu instead of kumiko????? and reina, she knew the second player is kumiko, and she said that she wants to play soli with kumiko as well, why would she choose mayu??? just to proof that her one-sided love Taki was right the second time?! but he said that this time, kumiko and mayu are both qualified to solo. After the match, she even cried, why??? if she regrets, why cant she just chose kumiko at that time?! I watched some analyze on the piece kumiko and mayu played, they all said that kumiko was better and is more suitable to corporate with reina.
I HATE THIS EPISODE!!!!!, it totally ruin this masterpiece! as well as kumiko's personality
Jun 24, 8:42 PM
Nov 2023
Sonoko_kawaii said:
bullshit adaptation
i cant believe Hanada did this, does he hate Kumiko or something?? who on earth will give the last chance of soli to Mayu instead of kumiko????? and reina, she knew the second player is kumiko, and she said that she wants to play soli with kumiko as well, why would she choose mayu??? just to proof that her one-sided love Taki was right the second time?! but he said that this time, kumiko and mayu are both qualified to solo. After the match, she even cried, why??? if she regrets, why cant she just chose kumiko at that time?! I watched some analyze on the piece kumiko and mayu played, they all said that kumiko was better and is more suitable to corporate with reina.
I HATE THIS EPISODE!!!!!, it totally ruin this masterpiece! as well as kumiko's personality

she doesn't regret. that's the point. kumiko asked that question knowing full well that even though reina thought there was a real risk it destroyed their friendship, she didn't regret it. that's what kumiko admires about her and why she didn't get angry at reina. she loves reina's drive to win and that's what changed her, trying to keep up with it.

reina never said she regretted. she said kumiko was nasty for asking the question. she knew kumiko knew the answer. it tore her up, but right to the end, she never regretted that choice.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

204 by defaulticus »»
Oct 14, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 16

90 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

95 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

112 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:18 PM

» About this season

TEMPEST_1 - Sep 30

6 by TEMPEST_1 »»
Sep 30, 10:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.