Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jun 30, 9:32 AM

Oct 2008
definitely AOTS!
5/5.
8/10.
YUNGBLUD awesome
OneRepublic awesome
give us now S2!
oh damn! such impressive banger action show!

Jun 30, 9:59 AM
Oct 2007
The amount of entertainment that this show has given me is as good as 10/10 and that's where it will stay! I like Kaiju No.8 way more than Solo Leveling
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 10:12 AM

May 2022
A cliffhanger ending signifies that it will continue into the next season.
So I can't wait to see how Kafka and the defense forces will develop in the future, even though I already know after reading the manga, it is worth looking forward to how the adaptation will be.

Jun 30, 10:48 AM
Jun 2024
Great one, mindblowing
Jun 30, 11:04 AM

Apr 2009
Solid but predictable episode. Obviously he was going to regain control at some critical moment and they were never going to turn him into a suitcase or whatever. It was a hell of a fight though, the scale of destruction and intensity was truly befitting the word epic. The scenes with the other squad members thinking about Kafka were nice and well done, but honestly the teenager part of my brain was just like "shut up and get back to the atomic obliteration!" The relationship with Mina has often felt flat and maybe even stalkerish, for me the hook was the change to the friendship with Kikoru. She believed in him even at his worst moment, but it still changed something. Curious to see how that plays out.

The action was always great and satisfying, Kafka's a bit one note but still an amusing character you root for with a solid enough cast backing him. The show long stopped doing much of anything to surprise which I hope is something season 2 can change a little.

Almost talked myself into rating it a 6 but I did have fun so I'll bump it up to a 7/10. There's nothing wrong with appreciating a show where things get smashed and blown up real good with a few laughs thrown in for good measure.
Jun 30, 11:44 AM

Nov 2011
Aaah Narumi Gen appeared! Not very nice entrance tho imo, he looks kinda derp here. :p

I loved the series, and gonna keep waiting for the next season. :) Thank you all for sharing thoughts and screens on the forum.
Jun 30, 12:43 PM

Jun 2012
Reply to HagePotPotato
@KikiSohma if it's obvious than you already know what happened

there is no proof that any of that was "'physical'" and not "'mental'" (i.e., the entire scene took place inside of his head/mind as the kaiju was taking control). i think it's unlikely that that "inside the kaiju['s]" stomach was literal. no 8's body wasn't large enough for Kafka's actual body to be sinking down 10-20ft below the surface of whatever fluid that was inside the dragon fly kaiju's "stomach". to me it wasno different than

mental vs physical is an unnecessary distinction to make. it doesn't matter if he climbed out of a mental or physical stomach. the only reason he would've been able to do that was because of his memory of Mina that snapped him out of it (whatever "it" was)
@HagePotPotato

I used quotation marks to indicate that this was my own way of interpreting what was happening as there was no distinction in the episode whether the "physical" actually took place or whether it was all in Kafka's head. The "mental" and "physical" was also a way to distinguish which parts I was talking about without writing a whole paragraph when a few words would do.

Even so, if the decision was made to show a metaphorical taking over of the inside Kaiju, it wouldn't hurt to come up with a metaphorical take back and show it to us to strengthen the gain of resolve he had after snapping back to "normal".

As I said, if it was completely just the power of friendship from his memory of Mina, it weakens the story, the resolve, the resolution to the problem.
As I also said, this was just a minor wobble, it didn't impact the story overall to the point I didn't like the show.
I still gave the episode/season a 9 out of 10, because there was room for improvement.

I enjoyed the episode, just it could have been less typical shounen in this regard.
The show is trying to distinguish itself from other shounen, and my suggestion was another way they could have done this.
KikiSohmaJun 30, 12:48 PM
Jun 30, 2:05 PM
May 2024
The fight was amazing it has the best animation and they finally accepted him I can't wait for next season we already guess the story line of the next season I can't wait
Jun 30, 2:06 PM
May 2024
The fight was amazing it has the best animation and they finally accepted him I can't wait for next season we already guess the story line of the next season I can't wait
Jun 30, 2:23 PM
Oct 2022
The council decided that Hibino Kafka is a Kaiju, but Isao Shinomiya gave him another chance of living if he is proven useful in battles for his comrades from Third Division of Defensive Force.

Great powers coming from Kaiju no.8. All Kaiju are extremely powerful, especially Kaiju no.2., which Director General used equipment made out of him. I really want to see what things will evolve further and what other adventures await Defensive Force. It would be a huge battle between Kaiju no.10 and the world in order to regain the Kaiju powers.

Hibino Kafka proved himself that he has much more humanity than any other Third Division member, because his heart wouldn’t let him harm his comrades. Isao, Kikoru and Mina believed in him.
Jun 30, 2:56 PM
Jun 2012
Culmination of the series thus far. I don't know if this marks its end.

But, it was a good showing to send things off as is.

With more exposition of everyone's favorite kitchen knife adverse captain.

To those telltale signs of foreshadowing that our boi is going to be all right in the "future".

I hope they continue to give us more of this series. At its overall high production value.
For years to come.

As personally, it does not seem an investment of this level. Would have been undertaken.
Without riding it out all the way. Especially with the response provided to a successful presentation of a good work, in kind.
Jun 30, 7:10 PM
Apr 2024
Is he Kaiju No. 8 because he's Hibino Kafka? Or is he Hibino Kafka because he's Kaiju No. 8
Jun 30, 10:05 PM
Feb 2015
Lab rat ending achieved,what's next Human kaiju weapon arc maybe,

Great S1 ,will watch if it has next season
Jun 30, 11:04 PM
Jan 2023
WOOOOO HIBINA KAFKA LIVES TO SEE ANOTHER DAY!!!1111!11!11!!!🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳
Jun 30, 11:38 PM
May 2024
you will love it 10/10
Jul 1, 12:01 AM
Jul 2020
EPIC!!! SEASON 2 PLSSS
Jul 1, 12:37 AM

Mar 2007
Go Kafka go! Glad they chose not to disposed of a useful weapon.

Enjoyed this series immensely and now looking forward to S2.
Jul 1, 1:22 AM

May 2020
this was a really good anime and final
enjoyed it a lot more then I thought I would
cant wait for season 2

Jul 1, 2:09 AM

Feb 2018
Hopefully we'll get a second season lol.

Never ending plan to watch list...

Jul 1, 3:39 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, this season brought out some of that teen energetic vibes that I haven't experienced in a short while!

I watched this the day before, in actuality, but didn't have time to jot down my thoughts due to travel but the final episode was full of plus for me. Not yet fully accepted but at least the General seems to think of him highly. Seeing the other members so happy for his return was wonderful to see. Shinomiya-san won't be hunting for blood just yet too, right?

Solid 8.5/10 for me. One Republic's ED theme got me from the get-go, but with Production I.G.'s production values and the general story hype, I can see why there was such a massive build-up for it.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 1, 4:29 AM
Dec 2022
FIGHT WAS CRAZY
kakfa gets to live but its so cooked

loved the show, need the 2nd season now
Jul 1, 4:40 AM

Jun 2019
Peak. Can't wait for the next season. I love Kafka and I hope he proves himself that he's worthy of keeping alive and with them. Mina and his relation is cute and Kikoru is cute as ever.
Jul 1, 4:44 AM
May 2023
cool ending for this anime sesion
Jul 1, 5:06 AM
Dec 2021
Great anime, enjoyed it a lot.
Jul 1, 1:29 PM

Jul 2022
The season ended quite well, with a second one already confirmed. Kafka will not be executed, but he will have to prove to others that he is not a danger as a Kaiju. And Kaiju No. 9 is still out there, hiding and preparing a plan.

It was an entertaining anime, but after seeing some panels from the manga, I think the character design in the anime wasn't the best. However, even with that, I give it a good rating.
Jul 1, 9:16 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Such a fun show. Some call it generic, for me it’s unpretentious and delivers oodles of fun and likeable characters in an interesting world. Perhaps it wasn’t wordy enough for some elitists? Some need 15 minutes of exposition per episode to give some a decent grade.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 1, 11:03 PM
Jun 2024
Loved it but they could've made the battle of Kafka and Shinomiya more tense, more hyped as his battle with the vice captain
Jul 2, 1:23 AM
Oct 2019
Of course Shinomiya Father just testing him.
It was predictable for sure, i mean everyone knew that was gonna happen.

It's the same shounen jump formula and it was working again.
Overall it was fun and entertaining.
Shout-out to Production I.G for their Incredible Animation fight scene.

8/10
Looking forward for Season 2.
Jul 2, 2:48 AM
cam ♡

Mar 2023
i feel like we saw shinomiya's father just testing kafka coming, otherwise im excited to see the next season! we'll definitely be seeing more of no.9 and hopefully kafka will get closer to mina
Jul 2, 7:31 AM

Dec 2018
This was a perfect end to the cour, and one of my favorite shows this season, but that abrupt ending cliffhanger is really annoying. However, the way I see it is that it's basically a greenlight for s2. Also I'm surprised no one mentions the fact that his name is Kafka, like the writer of the the metamorphosis? Come one, someone had to get it somewhere, right?
Jul 2, 7:47 AM
May 2020
kafka is one lucky lucky guy, well his "heart" saved the day so who am I to judge
Jul 2, 2:43 PM

Nov 2009
Hmm, I guess the Daddy was trying to see what Kaiju no.8 can do.

Tho... I don't think Kaiju no.8's actually used his true power as well, since we've already seen the "super punch" from before. But it wasn't used in the Daddy fight.

Well, I guess that one old higher up got what he wanted.

They're going to treat Kafka as a Kaijuu Weapon. (tho better than the other old farts that just wants to kill Kafka regardless)

But I guess that's also what Kafka wanted too... since he wants to be a Weapon to fight the Kaijuus (as we've seen at the start of the series, somewhat)

I guess it's all good? LOOOL

(dude's not going to get treated as a person, but as an item, no Freedom will be given, always under surveillance)

(he needs to prove "he's useful", if he isn't useful, it's disposal time)

But they also still did split up the old team, the team that would have defended Kafka no matter what happens. And possibly give Kafka more freedom...

(meaning they're still secluding Kafka anyways, I wonder if this means Kafka won't be getting anymore help, he's going to have to be solo now... so even if he gets into trouble, no one's going to come help him, in fact, Kafka's probably going to be in another team just like everyone else, where he won't be treated as nicely...)

(I sure do hope season 2 won't be half season of Kafka being bullied or treated like trash cause he's "Kaijuu")
amlgJul 2, 4:27 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jul 2, 9:26 PM
Feb 2014
let's appreciate the story telling for what it is. We all know that if the general hadn't pushed kafka to his limits, this would have ended up a tragedy where eventaully, Kafka would have ended up killing his crew, turning this into another NGE event. Instead, the writer chose to test his limits ahead of time to see how Kaiju 8 itself could be controlled under the duress of Kafka and the defense force.

They bring on the character. development quite fast in the anime. They show a parallel to the 9 tails with that parasyte that's inhabiting Kafka. They show a descent into darkness that shows the bottom, and nowhere to go but up, and that's why this show works.

The creator takes meticulous time to embed setups for key plot points in character arcs to propel the story forward in a hopeful direction. In the last episode he sets this up by having Kafka ask if he can still aim for being by the commander's side. This episode follows through using that moment to demonstrate the humanity inside the monster, which we could argue NGE fell short of. And instead of making the monster-humanity ambiguous as other authors such as the creator of Monster and Pluto do, we get a clear-cut answer that demonstrates the potential of hope to prevail.
Jul 3, 12:16 AM

Feb 2020
It was good. Generic? Yes. But, is it still enjoyable? Yeah, it was fun, and that's all that matters really in these types of anime. The production quality was amazing. 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 6:11 AM
Jul 2022
Good story and character development
Jul 3, 9:43 AM
Jun 2022
Good, not excellent, but good.
Jul 3, 12:58 PM
Feb 2023
This chapter was outstanding, Isao Shinomiya showed us where the top power levels are in Kaiju 8-gou verse, and was a very good way to do so.
Jul 3, 1:04 PM

May 2021
Cool shonen albeit a bit predictable. Wanted to see Mina open up more and I kinda got that.

Hoshina best character tho.

Jul 3, 1:30 PM
Apr 2010
good action and fast paced story progression
Jul 3, 1:42 PM

Apr 2018
The 2nd part of the fight wasn't much better than the beginning as it got slowed down too much for my liking. Seems like they also fucked up the character design of that guy. But, it was a great adaptation nontheless. I read the manga a while ago in one sitting and watching the anime was a pleasure.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 4, 12:56 AM
Jul 2021
To quote a YouTuber's criticism, this anime is so formulaic that it's essentially just a well-produced formula. Yet, I think the heart, pathos and ethos behind this production won over me.
Jul 4, 1:26 AM

Sep 2008
Name got the score right, 8/10

Enjoyed it quite a lot, but man is it generic.
It would have done them some good to drop 1-2 episodes of fighting and focus on characters a bit, they all got exactly 1 characteristic as development throughout the whole season.

Not one each, 1 total for all of them: get stronger.

On the bright side though, it was fun, combat was good, animation was good, main character is great and I more or less binged it because it was addictive type of fun.
Wish Mina got some development, but guess her role is to exist only as goalpost for MC currently.

Sort of reminds me of Solo Leveling, all about combat sequences and no character growth.
Definitely looking forwards to sequel.

Quick edit: Kikoru is best girl. Generic tsundere? Check. But so much fun.
Jul 4, 9:19 PM
Nov 2022
Kaiju no. Late.......
Jul 4, 10:01 PM
Jun 2015
I’m not Kaiju No. 8. I am Hibino Kafka!
LET EM KNOW!!!!

The Director is a slick dude. Did everything he could to push Kafka to the limit to test whether he would give in to his Kaiju side or remain human. My boy passed the test! I knew it! We were all rooting for him!

Season 2 is gonna be a ride. The opposition has already started their strategy to try to push our MC to their side. I wonder what they have in mind.

Patiently & impatiently waiting
Jul 5, 8:36 PM
Jul 2019
Good ending for the season and I hope to see more.
Jul 6, 11:22 AM
Jun 2019
Simplay Awasome I Like How Story Is Going

Jul 6, 12:19 PM

Aug 2008
Good solid show, great animated action and decent enough story and characters. For me a show like this just can't annoy me with stupidity and Kaiju No. 8 didn't. Did what it needed to do even if felt formulaic. Will definitely watch a second season.
Jul 6, 2:29 PM
Aug 2019
A monster going easy on monsters
Jul 6, 4:43 PM
Apr 2024
It's very fun to watch, but could be better
Jul 6, 7:43 PM
Jun 2024
solid but would love more creativity in its climax scenes
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» what's with the hate? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 18

76 by LittleOwlbear »»
Oct 6, 4:48 AM

» The combat suits

raitai9891 - Jun 13

12 by bastek66 »»
Oct 3, 3:05 PM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Fortress_Maximus - Jun 22

228 by higherthanhigh »»
Sep 24, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 15

259 by TheVistrian »»
Sep 23, 2:31 PM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

jas-samaaa - Jun 8

186 by TheVistrian »»
Sep 23, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.