Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 7, 2018 5:17 AM

May 2009
This is the weakest show so far. Unimpressive CG, the fight was poorly animated. and I don't particularly find the characters interesting

I generally like girls with swords, but I spent half the episode being bored out of my mind, wishing it was over.

Hopefully, things will get interesting with episode 2 and on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2018 3:59 PM
Dec 2017
Katana Maidens is kinda interesting. I look forward to the next episodes. It had no issues in my opinion but it was clear that they used CGI, which I have no problem with. The characters look cool too. I like that they added in the different stances.
Jan 7, 2018 6:56 PM
Feb 2017
Eren gave a Kongou type vibe. That Japanese Engrish, soooo cute.
Jan 7, 2018 8:15 PM
Jan 2018
I never interested in all-girls or all-guys anime but I might watch this show because of it's design by Shizuma Yoshinori.
Jan 8, 2018 1:13 AM

Jun 2013
I honestly don't know what to think it wasn't really interesting
Jan 8, 2018 10:09 PM

Nov 2013
It was an alright start.

The tournament served it's purpose of showcasing the girl's abilities. I like, that Kanami is already strong and capable and not starts as a total noob.

Hiyori's attack on the woman was unexpected. How Kanami jumped in to help her was reckless and stupid, but I understand her reason to do so.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 9, 2018 6:21 AM
Mar 2012
Surprisingly a bit better than usual Brave Kantai Sacred Sword Shrine Strikers.
Fights not bad, were intense but tournament over so fast.
Osts better than the show. Buildings quite oddly proportioned.
Some generic designs but a few personalities could be fun.
So Hiyori some assassin? Last plot point has my interest.

Jan 9, 2018 4:22 PM

May 2015
Not the best start I've seen, but I guess it was nothing bad. I just hope it won't get any worse, considering it's 2-cour, and these kind of shows usually end up below average....

I approve of the all-female cast, though.

Jan 10, 2018 11:33 AM

Jul 2016
You know, reading some threads makes me wonder if the people posting in there have watched the same show I have watched. And since this is one of those threads, I'll take a moment to address all the complaints I've read, because some just blow my mind on so many levels.

First of all, I've read a lot of people complaining about the CG. Now, I won't stay here to claim that the CG in this anime is the best we have ever witnessed. But it certainly isn't the worst, either. And, most importantly, it was just a fraction of the airtime of this episode. Was it a flaw? Yes. Was it enough to write off this anime as bad? Hell no. I mean, for a comparison, Berserker's CG in Fate/Zero is just as bad. Does it mean F/Z is a trash anime too? No (or at least, not necessarily - I mean, whether you like F/Z or not should definitely not be decided by Berserker's CG at least!)

Now, on to the characters. I have read people calling them generic, because they are recognizable templates. That's quite the fascinating argument. Does it mean, I dunno, that S;G, Puella Magi Madoka, Evangelion, Death Note and many other anime whose characters are easily recognizable templates have "generic characters" too? Obviously not. What matters, at the end of the day, is whether or not these characters play their basic templates in an interesting and convincing way.
Is this the case of Toji no Miko? Yes, arguably so. First of all, Kanami is one of the most likable MCs I've seen in such "battle" anime in quite some time. We get to see she likes katana duels, and she's quite the spirited competitor, but she's also an adjusted individual. She does not look like an obsessed individual like, say, Ernesti Echevalier in K&M, nor does she look more like an idol than a warrior like the chars in Battle Girl High School. She looks, talks and behaves like a warrior (or at least a sportswoman), while still retaining an appreciable degree of humanity and sympathy.
But the char which really sold me, frankly, is Mai. We have seen this kind of "mature and quiet" girl, with slightly closed eyes, a ton of times in anime before. And many of them failed to be interesting because, quite simply, they were flat and devoid of any kind of nuance or conflict. This is definitely not the case with Mai. In fact, it is quite unusual of such a quiet character to be posed as the MC's rival, and this dynamic gives her a much needed degree of "roundness", as well as making her come off as not too quiet - actually, her interactions with Kanami were quite enjoyable.

Another point I have read - and the one I found to be the most ridiculous yet - is that "fights were too fast". Do you even realize what a real swordfight looks like? In real life, sword fights get done extremely fast - as long as you go after your opponent, and not his weapon like when flynning (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flynning), fights get resolved within a matter of seconds. Just watch a fencing match at Olympics if you don't believe me. And yes, I'll take real fight over what amounts to "kayfabe wrestling" that we see all over the place in shonen and such, any time of the day.

Finally, to those who claim that it's absurd how Kanami jumped to the defense of Hiyori... Yes, Hiyori tried to kill Yukari-sama, but when Kanami intervened, it was Hiyori who was about to be killed. Should Kanami have let Hiyori get killed right there? Maybe some of you would have, but is it really unbelievable that, absent other factors that prove Hiyori being unjustified in her action, Kanami would instinctively try to save the girl she showed sympathy for previously (even if only as a possible opponent)?

In conclusion, I do not intend to claim that you have no right to be bored by this anime. This anime is obviously not for everybody (which is the case of 90% of the anime out there, anyway, so it's hardly a fault). But it blows my mind that some people would claim that this anime is as bad as, say, Battle Girl High School - if anything, Toji no Miko is what BG HS could've been if done right (and not the idol trash show we've witnessed). As for the 6.28 score it currently has on MAL... I can only wonder how many people who rated this show actually watched it.
Jan 10, 2018 3:46 PM

Oct 2017
What should I say? wasn't the most hype anime this season, doesn't have much expectation, It goes ok. DANG JUST GIVE ME THE LESBIAN GL SCENES... Just kidding

“It's okay to live, even if there's no greater point to living. -” Konno Yuuki

“God would never put us through all this suffering if he didn't think we could bear it.” -Konno Yuuki

“Life is not a game of luck. If you wanna win, work hard.” – Sora

Jan 11, 2018 7:40 PM

Jan 2016
krazeecain said:
The ending of this episode is probably the most retarded thing I've seen in anime in quite some time.

Agreeeeed.

I was like "This is alright" up until that point.
I'm going to watch it to the end to see where it goes but honestly... That was such a cringy thing to do.
Jan 11, 2018 9:23 PM
Jan 2014
I enjoyed the opening episode if anyone cares. :)
Jan 12, 2018 12:20 PM

Feb 2008
I saw CGI, I dropped. 1/10
Jan 12, 2018 8:38 PM

Jul 2017
At the end, all I could think of was "Why are you running? Why are you running?!"

I might give the second episode an attempt in hopes of answering questions about this plot, but the ending for a first episode made no sense. The way the characters reacted to each other did not add any characterization, it just flat out didn't work.

I went in wanting ambitious girls who sword fight for a cause. This gave me the girls part.... and that's all.
Jan 15, 2018 2:31 AM

Aug 2014
CGI wasn't pleasant, and the cinematography was quite obviously drawn out due to low budget. Honestly the cinematography was the biggest glaring issue here, with some incredibly LONG panning camera shots, really grating on my nerves. That said, some of the art was decent.

I'll give this another episode or two because I think the character interactions may be the saving grace of this show. So far the characters have been given enough depth to keep me interested in where things are going. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but it could be decent? We shall see.
Jan 22, 2018 11:00 PM

Dec 2014
I was so excited when they mentioned a tournament and then it was unexplained and over quickly I thought that this was something that was gonna go over most of the season. Like explain about some of the characters, explain the schools etc, but no they rushed it all in one episode and then those last 5 mins in the final round of the tournament I have no idea what happened gonna give it a episode more or two, but so far I am really not enjoying this. 2-10.
Feb 1, 2018 2:55 AM

Jul 2009
That moment when you decide to help the girl you just meet and run with her abandoning your best friend...
Feb 21, 2018 4:23 PM

Nov 2012
Wow. I've never had to complain about a nauseating amount of shaky-cam in an anime before, but here we are. Heck, that entire opening was so bait and switch. It's clear the show doesn't believe in itself.
Mar 25, 2018 1:07 PM

Apr 2014
only just now started watching this, this was on my to watch list but i did decide to wait for a bit till i watched it so i did get to play the mobile game before i started the anime

and my reaction to watching ep 1 is exactly how i felt when i first started the mobile game and that it really reminds me of Senran Kagura (another fave of mines) which is awesome so ima really enjoy this series already off to a great start imo and glad to see Kaoru already my fave out of all the characters so far
"one step at a time"
Mar 31, 2018 7:54 PM

Jul 2016
It all happened so fast. The fanservice is all I understand so far.
Apr 25, 2018 6:43 PM
Apr 2018
I just here for moe girl and all girls character anime + i really like girl with a sword,it just cool.
Oct 10, 2018 12:40 AM

Dec 2012
What is that monster?
Who is that woman? She is waifu!
Batto!
Mai got nice oppai.
LAWD JESUS! Mai in that towel!
Mai booty shot in that towel.
I would like to see Mai getting scrubbed up close. Please zoom in.
The waifu is back.
Whoa! Blonde huge oppai girl appears.
Kogarasumaru?
Why didn't you dudge girl?
Blonde girl side oppai. Dat front oppai.
Mai should have won. Dammit!
The waifu's name is Yukari.
20 years ago? How old is she?
How dare you attack my waifu?

Okay episode. Yukari and Mai are clearly waifu's. Nice ED song.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
May 23, 2019 10:28 AM

Sep 2012
why did she attack that high rank? and why she got involved, all she knows that girl could be spawn of devil figure of speech no logic there
May 28, 2019 6:05 AM

Jun 2011
it got so dang hype when the dark haired girl attacked the "strongest toji".. one thing I really like is that there's this "disappearing" technique that allow the characters to move so fast it's invisible to the naked eyes of a normal person, this is what has been lacking in newer action anime I feel, the good ole DBZ action.

I hope the brown hair girl is not the prodigy in this series tho, it's gonna annoy me so much because she always "barely" beat her opponent meaning she's fooling around and adjusting her skill level to match her opponent's. I rather the dark haired girl be the strongest, at least she takes this seriously.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 23, 2019 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
The pink haired girl with the giant sword was funny as heck. And wondering why that Hiyori attacked that other girl.

Pretty good first episode imo, I enjoyed it. All the characters seem good so far and I like their character designs and hairstyles. Kanami and Mai are sweet.

For the most part the animation looked good to me and the cgi monster was fine. Although sometimes the characters were cgied and it was pretty bad, but it didn't happen that often.

Jul 22, 2021 7:18 AM

Feb 2020
Cute girls fighting with swords for 24 episodes? I'm in.

That was a decent start. Better than I expected.

Yume's sword is HUGE! That was a hilarious sight.

That gigantic CGI centipede was pretty cool.

SerafosMar 13, 3:06 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2018

43 by nhkam »»
Jul 13, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4, 2018

25 by Foreall908 »»
Dec 8, 2023 12:32 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 11, 2018

27 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 28, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

17 by IAMQT »»
Oct 21, 2022 12:06 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 21 Discussion

Rob - Dec 29, 2018

2 by I-yas-yes »»
Jul 29, 2022 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.