3It was OK
0.0%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.9
45 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2014 6:28 PM

Aug 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Wow. I didn't expect a kiss coming this early.I can't believe the romance in this manga is better than what most series have out there.

And please Nacchan, Ei-chan won't leave you behind. Oh gosh.. I had diabetes.
Oct 1, 2014 1:33 PM

Nov 2011
Dat kiss!

Now I hope that it will bring him good luck because Eiirchou is going to need it in his upcoming match.
Oct 1, 2014 2:04 PM

Aug 2013
OH MY FUCKING GOD this chapter was really good i love how the romance progress it fits this manga so good
Oct 1, 2014 2:19 PM

Aug 2010
Dat kiss was sooo sudden and cute >.<

Nacchan!! Why u so awesome! I love this girl so much. How she was worried about Eichan leaving her behind with that cute blushing face was so adorable <3<3

And Maruo isn't that far behind at all on my "I love this guy" list! How he comforted her saying he'll stay with her no matter what was <3

OTP <3 even their parents approve :3

I can't wait to see Maruo's Error Error reaction nxt chap. I really wonder how he'll react :3

Lol'd at Maruo thinking about how clumsy the Aki he knows is in comparison to the description XD
Barion-ZaraOct 1, 2014 11:55 PM
Oct 1, 2014 2:55 PM

Jul 2014
Awwwwwwwwwwww!

God damn I love this manga. It has everything.
Oct 1, 2014 3:52 PM

May 2013
Yes they finally kissed!
Oct 1, 2014 6:58 PM
May 2010
Aww, that was 234 chapters in the making :D
Really the pacing of this along side the progression of the rest of the story has felt just right to me, not too slow, not too fast. Yeah, can't wait to see e-chan's reaction.
Oct 1, 2014 7:31 PM

Feb 2008
Its good that the parents are getting along too. One less potential source of problems. I wonder if the series will run long enough for those two to get married? I'm kinda doubting it, but it seems possible.

Is Shimizu in this tournament? Natsu wasn't talking about her either as a potential opponent or as someone who got knocked out early so I'm not sure. Unless Momoyama's victory over her was in this tournament and I've just forgotten?
Oct 1, 2014 8:38 PM
Feb 2014
jacobpaige said:
Its good that the parents are getting along too. One less potential source of problems. I wonder if the series will run long enough for those two to get married? I'm kinda doubting it, but it seems possible.

Is Shimizu in this tournament? Natsu wasn't talking about her either as a potential opponent or as someone who got knocked out early so I'm not sure. Unless Momoyama's victory over her was in this tournament and I've just forgotten?

Nah, Shimizu''s in the other semi.

The romance is progressing at a steady pace ^_^ I'm really happy for those two
Oct 1, 2014 9:24 PM

Dec 2011
WOW....that kiss was simply beautifully well done.One of the best romance in any sport manga with major or captain tsubasa....
They both have their fear for their next match and it's nice seeing both parents are getting to know each other.
Oct 1, 2014 9:36 PM

Feb 2014
Finally! I love nacchan so much. They're really adorable together.
Oct 1, 2014 10:26 PM

Mar 2008
This episode just purely wins. I mean that was just awesome!

That kiss. You go Natsu :). That girl is a lot of fun to watch and always is good for things being pushed up a notch with these two. Really appreciate how Natsu just works off instinct and that leads to scenes like this. Just a cute moment there too with her showing worry about Ei-chan leaving her behind. A worry I could understand her having, although Ei-chan can't afford to lose so he has to keep pushing ahead.

Just an awesome chapter. Great moment and just a great chance for them to spend some time together. There really aren't many series that I think hits this kind of nice development for the main leads when the focus is on a different genre like sports. Just great.

Honestly with all the build up, I'm curious if we'll actually get a long look at the expected final of Natsu vs Shimizu. Her matches aren't really the focus of the series, but they seem to be playing it up enough for it to be possible. I'm still curious where that girl's character will end up going.
Oct 2, 2014 4:33 AM

Dec 2011
Shimizu Aki best girl~
Oct 2, 2014 6:26 AM
Mar 2010
Took their the it is like 200+ chapter before they finaly kiss but damn wasn't expecting that I vet his fealing heaven right now.
Oct 2, 2014 7:03 AM

Feb 2014
wuhugm said:
Shimizu Aki best girl~

lol no
Oct 2, 2014 1:01 PM

Mar 2010
''It's not a fear, it's a wish!'' :)

Nice wrap up before next battle.
Oct 2, 2014 11:26 PM

Jan 2008
I'd been waiting for the reactions to this chapter since I read it raw months ago. You guys didn't disappoint me. Glad you all loved it as much as I did.

I said this when Stein's;Gate's OVA came out, but it really is interesting to me that anime/manga where romance ISN'T the main point seem to do romance way better than anime/manga that are supposed to be romance oriented.

Stein's and Baby Steps are shining examples. Major was also mentioned up above and that's a good one as well.
Oct 3, 2014 2:20 AM
Jul 2012
That kiss was amazing. I want to get it colored and turned into a wallpaper!
Oct 3, 2014 3:33 AM

Feb 2014
spaz_11 said:

It's the best kind of kiss. I can't wait to see Ei-chan's reaction to it in the next chapter.

Oct 3, 2014 1:15 PM
Jul 2012
Feyfray said:
spaz_11 said:

It's the best kind of kiss. I can't wait to see Ei-chan's reaction to it in the next chapter.

I can't wait also, but I hope he doesn't stumble back in disbelief.

Thanks for the picture!
spaz_11Oct 3, 2014 2:37 PM
Oct 31, 2014 2:46 AM

Jan 2011
This was the highlight of my day...even though they are totally focused athletes, they also have a human side. We got to hear from Na-chan about her fears of being left behind, Ei-chan supported her with the sort of logic and analysis that is his strength, and then we saw Na-chan's intuitive side burst forth with the perfect end to the chapter.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Dec 4, 2014 1:04 AM

Apr 2013
that kiss!!!!

god I love this manga!!! and maruo x natsu is fast becoming one of my fave pairs.

nhk better release a third season too.
Mar 3, 2015 10:10 AM
Feb 2013
Nacchan2cute4me.
Jul 21, 2015 9:40 PM

Jan 2013
Perfect chapter. Loved the dialogue between them. And the kiss.
A 3rd season is needed to animate this.
Feb 18, 2016 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
I loved this chapter, the romance in this manga is so developped even when like 80% of the chapters are about tennis and match, Nacchan's become one of my favorite manga character overall, and I don't want to continue the manga even if I love it because i've nearly catch-up to the last chaps :(

Anyways, It's a great sport/romance manga and it has earned a place in my top favorites manga :)
Jul 27, 2016 6:09 AM

Jun 2015
And it keeps getting better. Now I REALLY want to see this animated.

The romantic progression is fantastic.
Oct 19, 2016 7:54 PM
Oct 2016
The update is sooo slow:(
Jun 10, 2017 2:08 PM

Jul 2013
That was a chill chapter, I enjoyed the breather.

I really like the encouragement and support they give each other, it'll be beautiful if they both win the tourney >.<

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 18, 2018 4:56 PM

Jun 2016
We saw a weak side to the strong Natsu this chapter, one that we hardly get a chance to see. It has leaked out in the past like the time Maruo mentioned which actually stuck with me this whole time, when she mentioned that being a top level player doesn't mean it's a given you'll win, it's hard, it's scary, and no matter how good you are, you should always have someone cheering for you! Maruo wasn't about to stand for it and tried to comfort her, and she let it all out. Of course she's worried about being separated from Maruo, she already got left behind once and she's up against two people that she lacks confidence against. Maruo comforts her and the first kiss comes. I'm sure, in its own way Maruo got some confidence in hearing Natsu feels the same way. He'll no longer have the fear on his mind about being left behind by her to the degree it worried him before. Baby Steps does romance incredibly well.
Dec 26, 2020 4:39 PM

Jul 2017
Re-reading this manga and man I just love these two so much (Maruo and Natsu). The romance isn't flashy necessarily as the main focus but the subtle development of these two characters both individually and as a couple has been so great. Natsu's normally portrayed as this character who's confident and energetic all the time as we normally see her win most of the time against her competition compared to Mauro who is more of a grinder, overachieving in a ton of matches against top seeds with his back against the wall. Even someone like Natsu who's just a regular tennis player with tremendous talent gets nervous about big tournaments like these, especially when you have so much expectations to meet and there's an obstacle standing in your way that just seems really difficult to break through that it just adds more and more pressure. Even more so since Maruo's been advancing a ton as a tennis player up the ranks and she's afraid that his growth would be so steep that he would leave Natsu behind like Ike when he went to compete against the world, but Maruo's there to be with Natsu all the way and support her as much as he can for her to give it her best, together of course.

That kiss just put a bow on that moment in such a beautiful manner and their relationship continues to feel like one of the most genuine relationships I've seen in manga/anime. Nothing forced or overdramatic, nothing cliche, just two people with dreams that with the more time spent together and the more they support each other, the more they grow together and love each other in the process.

I don't normally comment on manga chapters when binging/re-reading it, mainly only when new chapters are released. But I had to for this one to get a lot of thoughts out of my head, this is a special chapter, these two are a special couple, one of my favorites in the entire medium and this is a special manga.
Dec 30, 2020 3:21 PM

Apr 2016
After a great match there’s even a kiss, I’m delighted.
Jul 30, 2022 7:10 PM
Apr 2021
Afte putting the manga on hold for so long, I come back to see some major Eichan X Nachan moment. Wonderful surprise. The two are the best part of the manga.
Sep 15, 2023 8:59 AM

May 2020
I’ll admit, I don’t particularly care about the romance but these two are seriously cute together.
May 20, 8:34 PM

Mar 2014
holy moly THIS ROMANCE IS SO CUTE!!
1. the way he got concerned about her not calling
2. then she started walking away so relentlessly when she was trying to think to herself
3. he chased her down and they had their heart to heart
4. they had the same anxiety of being left behind and talked about it !!
5. THE KISSSSSS

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 455 Discussion

Kuma - May 22, 2023

10 by killerqueen2000 »»
Aug 14, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 454 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 447 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 409 Discussion

Kuma - Mar 8, 2021

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 392 Discussion

Kuma - Aug 17, 2020

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.