3It was OK
4.5%
2Disliked it
1.5%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.6
133 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2008 4:23 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cool episode, smart of them to going into a hibernation like state.
Tanabe ;__;
Oct 23, 2008 4:42 AM

Feb 2008
i'd been thinking that they should put themselves to sleep, but i wasn't sure that they had a way to do it.
aero said:
Tanabe ;__;
Nov 5, 2008 2:35 PM

Jun 2007
Whoa that was so intense, Tanabe doing that to Cheng-Shin.
They were really smart indeed.
I dont know how to feel about Hakim :/
Feb 16, 2009 8:12 AM
Sep 2008
Man I seriously thought hakim was going to kill someone. Smart move guys, kind of harsh to see so many people going panic mode and forfeiting the test.
May 17, 2010 6:15 PM

Sep 2009
Poor Tanabe. I like drama and all but I think it would be too cruel if Tanabe didn't get a happy ending. Next few episodes should be interesting.
May 18, 2010 11:21 AM

Mar 2010
A bit of junk science, but overall an interesting episode.

Oct 13, 2010 8:03 PM

Jun 2009
I thought Hachi was singing <Stronger by K.West> during his test in the intro scene

Well anyway good thing they made it
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Jan 20, 2011 3:45 AM

Feb 2010
Great Teamwork by the Hachi-Hakim team....Damn! That was a drastic Forceful move by the always Polite Chenshin! For a sec i thought he would Rape Tanabe....This Anime has struck a chord in Brillianty portraying All the Emotions in a 100% Believable way:)Hats off to the director of this Anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2011 3:48 AM

Feb 2010
Great Teamwork by the Hachi-Hakim team....Damn! That was a drastic Forceful move by the always Polite Chenshin! For a sec i thought he would Rape Tanabe....This Anime has struck a chord in Brillianty portraying All the Emotions in a 100% Believable way:)Hats off to the director of this Anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2011 1:13 PM

Aug 2010
Good thing i'm not planning to go on any long trips to space...
Jun 11, 2011 11:46 PM

May 2010
Wow that was just amazing! Lowering your body temperature to slow down your metabolism! Dangerous, but still!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 6, 2011 7:48 PM

Mar 2011
Well, that's one way of whittling down 2400 applicants to just 18 was it?

At this rate the crew morale is going to be rock bottom on the trip to Jupiter, assuming Locksmith can get all his teething problems with the engine sorted!
Nov 22, 2011 7:30 PM

Jan 2009
Interesting reaction from Chengshin
Feb 29, 2012 6:29 AM

Aug 2010
Just how did they lower their body temperature to 28 C?
Jul 24, 2012 9:36 AM

Jul 2011
PrometheusZero said:
Well, that's one way of whittling down 2400 applicants to just 18 was it?

Yup! You know how everyone is like "It's impossible to be selected!" but that's not how I see it. There's 18 spots. Out of 2000, there are 18 people that are selected.

It's like saying:
"Why did it have to happen to me??"
"Well it had to happen to someone. If it wasn't you, it would be someone else, and they would be wondering the same thing."

Homolust said:
Just how did they lower their body temperature to 28 C?

Ice packs, I think?

Anyways, great episode.
Jan 25, 2013 4:30 AM

May 2012
Great episode Loved that model kit :p but awesome way to preserve oxygen! Good that they made the second test! But damn Cheng-Shin is quite the gogetter trying to steal Tanabe... I wonder how that will evolve!
Mar 19, 2013 12:05 AM

May 2012
Too bad I was already spoiled about this episode.. I was watching an episode in Space Brothers and someone spoiled about this smart idea.. tsk.. tsk.. anyway, nice idea!
Dec 1, 2013 8:58 PM

Nov 2009
. . . So now Hachi respects Hakim after he said he was prepared to kill someone to move forward. He has definitely gone down a dark path indeed.
Apr 30, 2014 1:35 AM

Jul 2013
That was one crazy test.. I could not imagine myself passing it... anyways, great job on them lowering their body temperature to minimize their consumption of oxygen. that was really clever.
Jun 7, 2014 9:56 PM

Aug 2012
Everyone is a fucking badass.

Geniuses too.
Jul 7, 2014 7:58 AM
Jun 2012
Actually, decreasing air temperature increases oxygen consumption. And anyway... decreasing body temperature of healthy, fully clothed person just by dropping air temperature would take a long time. And anyway, they had no energy! How did they even manage to cool air??

Oh, wait. They had ice packs too. Handy. Well, that probably could cool a dead person to 28C in 3 hours. Alive? No way.
ElfsterJul 7, 2014 8:39 AM
Aug 13, 2014 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
Holy shit

FINALLY

THIS IS PLANETES

Hachi's character is turning out to be much more favourable than before. Nice team they have (with the probable exception of the other fag).
Oct 1, 2014 12:25 AM

Oct 2009
Poor Tanabe T____T
Gib [img] plz
Sep 4, 2015 2:59 AM

Nov 2013
HUMAN...

shreeveera said:
This Anime has struck a chord in Brillianty portraying All the Emotions in a 100% Believable way:)Hats off to the director of this Anime.

exactly,
poor tanabe though, she has the purest soul (at least until this episode... *cough*chengsin*cough")

--

interesting move from hachi though giving his trust to hakim after what he said
I wonder who would betray this pact
inochi ga kurikaesu naraba nandomo kimi no moto e ...
... if life can be repeated, i'll go to you many times over
Oct 15, 2015 11:58 PM

May 2012
dayummmm, and fuck you cheng shin
Jan 17, 2016 5:02 AM
May 2012
Cheng Shin lost his shit ahahaha.
And Hachimaki should marry Hakim.
Apr 27, 2016 1:50 PM

Jul 2015
Nice episode, still don't know if he will really go on jupiter, i feel like i'd hate this anime if this how it end
Jun 28, 2016 7:55 AM

Mar 2015
I wanna know how did they lowered their temperature?

I didn no lowering your temperature can minimize oxygen consumption.

How many teams did passed?

3.5/5
Jun 30, 2016 8:05 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Claire is joining the debris section in compensation for Hachimakis loss. To drop from control section to half section. Really has to nab on your ego.

In the meantime Hachimaki is getting used to his new team. They will be travelling to Jupiter together.
Forum signature
Jan 15, 2017 6:49 PM

Apr 2014
wtf...Cheng-Shin going crazy all of a sudden. why does this show ruin decent characters? :'( well there goes any hope (which didn't exist in the first place) of Ai x Cheng-Shin. really starting to hate Hachi now, feel really bad for Ai

and about that oxygen test thing, they would have enough oxygen if people took turns holding their breaths. a bit tiring but it would work. killing one of your teammates? really? i'd rather let the whole team die than survive for such an inhumane reason. getting really frustrated with this show

hooray! Hakim and Hachi make a really good duo of psychopaths
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2017 8:42 AM

Jun 2013
This episode... Like a tournament arc in a battle shounen, except even less fun. The only thing the team did during the whole episode that's worth any mention was at the very end (the body temperature gambit), and even that was kind of a head scratcher. If these idiots were at each other's throats after only ten days, and despite that, actually passed the exam, the Von Braun is even more doomed than I first thought.

The other thing that bugged me was that over at the Debris section, people just can't shut up about Hachimaki. He's not there, but everything is still all about him.

What even is Cheng-Shin doing? He's just as much of a petulant child as Hachimaki at this point, with some bonus creep points. And Tanabe goes back to her meddling ways.

Elfster said:
Actually, decreasing air temperature increases oxygen consumption. And anyway... decreasing body temperature of healthy, fully clothed person just by dropping air temperature would take a long time. And anyway, they had no energy! How did they even manage to cool air??

Oh, wait. They had ice packs too. Handy. Well, that probably could cool a dead person to 28C in 3 hours. Alive? No way.

Good points. And at 28°C, their skin should have been blue and puffy. Although, according to Wikipedia, in the case of severe hypothermia (core temperature of 28-20°C), "heart rate, respiratory rate, and blood pressure all decrease," so maybe there was a point in intentionally inducing hypothermia, it just should have been near impossible to achieve with the tools available.
LeeTailorAug 7, 2017 9:05 AM
Feb 28, 2018 4:44 PM

Sep 2015
The first thing I thought of when the oxygen was low was for them to go to sleep. I'm surprised they didn't think to do that first.
Nov 16, 2018 2:30 PM

Sep 2011
So Claire was demoted to the Debris Section, and things are awkward between her and Tanabe. I really disliked how they made Cheng-Shin go crazy out of nowhere, forcibly kissing Tanabe like that. He is the best man so if he were just patient things might have worked out. Even now Hachimaki is only thinking about himself, and he is also a bit enamoured of Hakim; but these two, even with the other new two, and even though the test was cool, can't compare to the charisma of the other characters we've spent time with so far, so I was still more interested in the Debris Section part of the episode.
Mar 29, 2019 12:37 PM
Oct 2018
cheng-shin went nuts for some thooter lips
Apr 9, 2019 2:56 PM

Feb 2012
Now all characters in the intro have appeared lol.

This is how difficult the tests are, only the best of the best can survive Jupiter.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 20, 2020 10:41 PM

Jun 2012
Took way too damn long for this show to get good. Lets hope the last 6 are just as good as this one.
Jun 16, 2020 2:51 PM
Jul 2013
That trial reminded me of Uchuu Kyoudai.
It starts looking like we're gonna get an awesome finale.
Jul 3, 2020 8:32 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Omg what did he tried with Tanabe... Cheng-Shin is a rapist.
Aug 19, 2020 2:32 PM

Mar 2018
With these tests I guess they're aiming for a crew of psychopaths and murderers. I dislike Hachimaki more with each episode.
tokidoki921Aug 19, 2020 2:36 PM
Dec 11, 2020 10:22 AM

Jul 2017
This was a decent episode but these tests just feel like B-tec versions of what I've seen from Space Brothers not gonna lie, since those tests felt way more detailed and paced a lot better too, although those tests are just to become a JAXA astronaut, this is for people who immediately want to get to Jupiter via the Von Braun. The pod isolation test here felt too quick but at least the solution to survive the test by reducing everyone's body temperatures to reduce oxygen consumption was interesting.

Tanabe's been locked out essentially by Hachimaki and she's been worried about him for a long time now, even choosing to work more and more to distract herself from being worried even more. Cheng-Shin was jealous of Hachimaki qualifying that test and seeing him with a girlfriend that Cheng-Shin liked before, so much that he even laid one on Tanabe, even though she bit his lip and looked at him with absolute disgust afterwards. Hope she somehow does okay but that relationship with her and Hachimaki looks incredibly rocky now, and could crumble at this rate.
Apr 27, 2021 6:58 AM

Apr 2021
man, i really feel bad for tanabe

that hibernation was a cool idea tho, i hoped the whole time they would come up with something that could save them all ^^
i wish i was a cloud
Dec 18, 2021 4:03 PM

Nov 2016
Lmao @ at the welcome. That's so typical for the Debris Section. Never change.

But Claire joining them and Cheng-Shin having a fall out were crazy surprises. Hibernation didn't even come remotely close.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 7, 2022 6:09 AM

Dec 2007
when claire joined the debris section i was :O too lol

another resemblance for space brothers with this test lol
though i feel space brothers did this kind of test better, if the anime would have more time for this test it probably would be better.
hachi placing trust to hakim who just said he would kill, that was interesting.

what the hell sheng-chi thinking?
way to go tanabe!
Nov 8, 2022 9:06 PM

Aug 2022
Cheng-Shin sexually harassing Tanabe, ew! Wtf is wrong with him?! He should stay away from her, what a disgusting man.
𝓘 𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓯𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓲𝓷 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓬𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓾𝓷𝓲𝓿𝓮𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓼.

Aug 30, 2023 12:07 AM

Mar 2007
That was INTENSE.

• Cheng Shin really liked Tanabe, enough to go from friend, to sexual harrassment! He said some true but hurtful things to Tanabe then kissed her without her consent, and she bit him! Serves him right. I don't like him anymore.
  • The test: well I knew it would be something like this. Hakim and Hoshino really want to be there. Slowing down the metabolism would work but if done to long there is risk of hypthermia. Luckily they knew they would be rescued at a specified time so they took their chances and it paid off.

Hakim is now officially my favorite character of this series.
Sep 21, 5:23 AM

Jun 2020
I dont think Hakim and Hoshino is similar it obviously Hoshino thinks they are pretty similar but in reactions of Hakim it pretty obvious there is something else. But Im not sure what this test proofs. This anime doesn’t have best knowledge when its came to mechanics and space and I did ignore it mostly but for this time I really wanted to know more about Jupiter and their plan. Jupiter is a gas titan and one of the most dangerous planets in our Solar system its not the same with going to Moon,Mars,Venus etc. Their mission is called Jupiter Exploration Mission. So they gonna Explore the Jupiter. But how? Its the biggest planet but have the shortest day which if I remember correctly is just 10 hours. Its a gas giant and even if its has a surface its very very small. If I remember correctly it has some kind of rings even tho they are pretty small. How they plan to get through of themThe storms inside of Jupiter is nothing to compare to Earth's one etc. I just want to know more about the mission. What is the main point of this ( which is resource and research yes but more information) I just think its a very interesting topic but its done very poorly

More topics from this board

» Planetes is a gem

TeBaTe - Oct 6, 2022

35 by TeBaTe »»
Oct 16, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 22, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 18 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

41 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 11:25 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 17 Discussion

aero - Sep 2, 2008

34 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 10:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.