3It was OK
5.7%
2Disliked it
4.4%
1Hated it
0.6%
Average 4.4
158 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2008 8:04 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great episode. If this were the last episode in the series, I'd probably be very satisfied. It used a lot of flashbacks pretty effectively, and I loved how he ended it.
Sep 2, 2008 5:14 AM

Jan 2008
Good episode. I don't know what to say, but I really liked it :3
Feb 16, 2009 7:52 AM
Sep 2008
Wow watching Hachi being left adrift in space going all crazy scared me of ever becoming an astronaut, like that would happen anyway lol. Very nice episode.
Apr 4, 2009 8:28 AM

Jan 2008
I was thinking, Why didn't they have the Sensory Dep test in 0 g?
Jul 22, 2009 3:32 PM

Jul 2009
datsunvic said:
I was thinking, Why didn't they have the Sensory Dep test in 0 g?

It would be too scary, I presume. =)
If I could fly...
May 17, 2010 5:35 AM

Sep 2009
This episode was pretty sweet. I love how Hachirota and tanabe's relationship is now.
Oct 7, 2010 5:40 AM

Jun 2009
Excellent episode. Really enjoy psychological episodes.
Oct 13, 2010 7:44 PM

Jun 2009
Like it! but how everything goes didn't really happen here
Care package haha
Reminds me of Neon eva
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Jan 18, 2011 1:34 AM

Oct 2008
epic as fuck ending
Jan 23, 2011 11:13 AM

Aug 2010
Way to go, hachi!!
Sep 4, 2011 8:05 PM

Mar 2011
Yes, after accident, Hachi gets his space mojo back by looking at the biggest bad ass rocket you did ever saw!

Simply amazing!
Feb 28, 2012 9:50 AM

Aug 2010
BigSimo said:
epic as fuck ending
Jun 28, 2012 12:06 AM

Aug 2010
They showed what panic feels like really well, and a really awesome way to come to terms with and fight it. I knew he had it in him. :)

Brilliantly done.
Jan 25, 2013 2:41 AM

May 2012
Great episode, with quite a twist but with a great ending, I wonder what's next!
Nov 30, 2013 3:25 PM

Nov 2009
Glad he was able to bounce back . . . Though was seriously doubtful they would actually have him not able to overcome the trauma.
Jun 12, 2014 6:03 PM

Apr 2012
i'm guessing he was suffering from some PTSD

Aug 12, 2014 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
Anyone gracious enough to explain what the heck happened in the end? What the hell was that electricity???
Oct 29, 2014 7:50 PM
Oct 2009
zetsu_shoren said:
Anyone gracious enough to explain what the heck happened in the end? What the hell was that electricity???

It wasn't really electricity, It was all psychological. When he touched the rocket engine, it was like a shock to his system of the entire reason he came to space. It made him realize he had to overcome his trauma for his dream.
May 23, 2015 9:51 AM

Feb 2014
I hate when shows that think you can just will yourself through psychological disorders. If he had cancer instead of Spatial Loss Disorder, people would call this episode bullshit. Also don't really like the implication in the middle of the episode that people with mental disorders are "fragile" and that if you have "strength" then you can easily overcome them. Lots of stupid misconceptions about psychological disorders at play in this episode.

Probably the worst episode of an otherwise very good show.
Oct 14, 2015 8:04 PM

May 2012
a good episode, but i feel like it came out of nowhere and the pacing was a bit sloppy, but overall i like what the episode did, or attempted to do...
Jan 14, 2016 6:12 AM
May 2012
Problem solved.
Good job, Hachimaki!
Apr 26, 2016 1:36 PM

Jul 2015
I didn't like that episode, the beginning felt like it came out of nowhere and the resolution was kind of weird
Jun 27, 2016 6:25 AM

Mar 2015
I learned something new.

Hachi in paranoia.

3.2/5
Jun 28, 2016 8:03 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Hachimaki is getting cought in an accident in space so he is hospitalized again. This time it seems grim for him because he is diagnosed with spacial disorder which would make the work of an debris hauler impossible. If he isn't recovering after som retests he has to leave space.

Fortunately Fee and Tanabe know how he can be motivated. They show him the worlds most powerful rocket engine hands on. They got the connections. Now Hachi is calm and colleecteed while taking the test in total darkness.
Forum signature
Jan 15, 2017 4:21 PM

Apr 2014
Hachi is probably the most delicate character in this show but likes to put up a tough exterior. he's like a kid in a way. not a fan of him but at least he's realistic
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2017 7:34 AM

Jun 2013
PonPonPon said:
I hate when shows that think you can just will yourself through psychological disorders. If he had cancer instead of Spatial Loss Disorder, people would call this episode bullshit. Also don't really like the implication in the middle of the episode that people with mental disorders are "fragile" and that if you have "strength" then you can easily overcome them. Lots of stupid misconceptions about psychological disorders at play in this episode.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the concept, either. The visuals and sound working together to show Hachi's distress were the only saving grace of the episode.
Nov 15, 2018 1:47 PM

Sep 2011
What a great episode, it was a really introspective one too. Hachimaki could've died, or maybe something even worse with the radiation and stuff, but he was lucky, well, almost completely lucky because the incident took its toll on him, and he almost had to give up on space. We also were remembered of how big his dream is, and how small it can make him feel. He was even lost, searching for an excuse to give up. This was too real, so I'm sure that most of us could relate to this at least a bit, it was great!
Mar 21, 2019 6:46 PM

Feb 2012
Ah, yes, we're getting to the Von Braun arc next.

Rewatching this series again, I realize this was basically a recap episode.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 2, 2020 11:00 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really interesting character development for Hachi.
Dec 10, 2020 11:03 AM

Nov 2019
wow i enjoyed the heck out of this episode 10/10 for this one
Dec 11, 2020 8:27 AM

Jul 2017
I didn't like this episode much. I loved the concept of the episode, reminded me of Space Brothers where something similar like this happened but in a different manner, and I loved seeing how supportive Tanabe was throughout the whole process with Hachimaki and his rehab, they've grown to really be a good couple.

But the spatial loss disorder itself was handled really poorly in my opinion, both from a show perspective and even the solution itself. What I mean is, Hachimaki getting such a big time disorder like this out of nowhere at the start of the episode randomly and having it be resolved all in 1 episode was really sloppy and just badly thought out. The portrayal of the disorder and how it traumatized him and affects his life in the long run was well done, but the way he got in and got out of it and the amount of time it took for this to be wrapped up felt plain wrong. It's really difficult to will past a psychological disorder like that really quickly, and just by looking at the new Tandem Mirror Engine, he just snaps back to normal? Pretty bullshit if you ask me the way that was written.
Apr 8, 2021 10:26 AM
Sep 2020
Episode gave me a panic attack the first few times he went to the sensory deprivation chamber. Seeing him look for the wall then fall through the floor, gave me flashbacks to a horrendous acid trip. Jesus chrsit 200 bpm heart rate ep
Apr 25, 2021 7:41 AM

Apr 2021
Wow that was good, interesting episode.

GO HACHI!
i wish i was a cloud
Dec 18, 2021 2:12 PM

Nov 2016
What a great episode. Right of the bat we witnessed an effectively terrifying depiction of space. Thanks to that accident we also had the chance to take a look at Hachi's vulnerable state of mind and the doubts that were plaguing him. The other Hachi was brutally honest.

I think it doesn't get more relatable than this. Most people if not everyone has a thing they would love to do. So what's stopping us?
Having a dream is one thing. Working on it's realization including the days, weeks and years of sacrifices with no guarantee of success are another. It's easier to indulge in the small pleaseures right in front of us instead of pursuing a daunting, possibly unattainable goal with all we got. That would require dedication. Perhaps cutting loose from a safe future, provided we can afford so. Many are simply not even in a position where promising opportunities are an option.
Furthermore, fearing to take the wrong way makes us hesitate, especially when it comes to matters dear to our heart. Sometimes our hopes are all we have, if these get shattered, what's left?  So rather than trying, play it safe, at least you won't suffer a crushing disappointment. Right? This in turn can limit our potential. Skepticism is fine. Not all prospects are feasible, but if we want to get the most out of a life without regrets, then we should dream big and take risks from time to time instead of looking for excuses to take the easy way out. No risk no pay-off.

That's why half baked dreams won't cut it. We should find something for ourselves that's worth the risk. To keep ourselves motivated it's important to occasionally remind us for that we do something. Hachi touching the engine was the key moment where he came to realize what he really wanted. It triggered his ambition and blew away his doubts. Liked the spark of passion there.

Game changer episode.

P.S. My post could've focussed more on external factors, as it's obviously not as simple to pursue a dream when one got responsibilities or no options in the first place, but I was trying to roll with Hachi's pov and the message here. "The world needs fools" People who prioritize romanticism over reason. A few special individuals aka fortunate fools got us to where we are now.
FMmatronDec 18, 2021 2:37 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 3, 2022 9:14 AM
Nov 2020
it s amazing to think that we could see nuclear fusion engine way sooner than what the manga predicted
Feb 16, 2022 6:27 AM

Dec 2007
if i wasn't watched space brother this episode was better for me, i felt it was really rushed. there's the feeling of "passing time" and such, but the solution done too rush. still somehow enjoyed this episode though. it have all the reasons why we love hachi.

seems fee and yuri noticed tanabe x hachi lol
Jun 28, 2022 6:22 PM
Jul 2018
PonPonPon said:

Probably the worst episode of an otherwise very good show.

I thought it wasn't a great portrayal either, the kind of introspective resolution he wouldn't be enough for someone to get over a serious disorder I'd think. I like the direction they took with the episode, and I think it was really important to his character but its a shame they had to put disorders down like that.

beloving said:
Hachi is probably the most delicate character in this show but likes to put up a tough exterior. he's like a kid in a way. not a fan of him but at least he's realistic

Personally I really like his character just for that reason, its funny watching him act like a tough guy all the time and then always getting so sappy over shit. I haven't seen many characters of that kind written so convincingly, and he has more going for him than just that.

Tyestor said:
Excellent episode. Really enjoy psychological episodes.

I really liked that too, this bit reminded me a lot of the psychological episodes in NGE, although they were far more depressing to me. I wasn't expecting any of that from how the show was going but it fit pretty well I think.
Aug 26, 2023 8:50 PM

Mar 2007
PTSD episode. Being lost in space really did a number on him.

Kind of reminded me of those sensory deprivation tanks where it's said if done in small doses (a few hours) it's actually great to "free" the mind and can be very relaxing and enlightening. However if a person is subjected to sensory deprivation for days and weeks, the brain will start inventing stimuli.

In this show it doesn't sound like he was out there for very long, so maybe the combined effect of sensory deprivation and the near death experience is what caused the mental break resulting in Spatial Loss Disorder, he just needed some mental health care and to rationalize what he really wants, so he can get back on track and go back to work.

More topics from this board

» Planetes is a gem

TeBaTe - Oct 6, 2022

35 by TeBaTe »»
Oct 16, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 22, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 20 Discussion

aero - Sep 5, 2008

45 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 21, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 18 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

41 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 11:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.