3It was OK
12.7%
2Disliked it
3.5%
1Hated it
2.4%
Average 4.2
1,730 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2023 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
Well damn, they sure made the first 10+ minutes of this episode dramatic with an all out fight. This has reincarnation and Shinigami themes so far.

Death seems to also be a major part of this show but so far, they really had one of the main guys go all out in that fight. It feels very fast paced but at the same time also very dramatic in terms of cinematics and chereography. Not sure yet how I feel about the cast but the MC's personality feels kinda dull, in contrast to that Misaki girl. She is also far from normal...

Might have some potential. I haven't read the source material for this before so going to keep expectations in check for now.
Apr 10, 2023 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
WOW this is edgy as heck from the manga of the same name from mangaka Ryohgo Narita, being a Darwin's Game derivative, but with substance.

The legendary hero and member of the Church: the Calamity Crusher Shagrua Edith Lugrid vs the necromancer of the Corpse God, it's an intense, all-out fight for the 1st half, to save humanity. And all of that encapsulated in an overkill...that has the Corpse God relive a second chance of a life through reincarnation, albeit with a slit throat.

Being in an unfamiliar world of a peaceful Japan, the Corpse God trying to make two and two together within a body that belonged to a Polka Shinoyama, and getting whizzed away by the eccentric high school girl Misaki Sakimiya, wanting to earn a kill twice over him after killing the original owner's body once. With no definition of magic, he can only scathe off the hitgirl's yandere attacks but not for long, and still having the Evil Eye power enough to exact the same Corpse power he had before against her. Unfortunately for Shagrua, the defeat against the Corpse God feels partically complete, though for him, the reincarnation as Polka Shinoyama will etch another power into the new world...another round of Grim Reaping tag game.

Will this be a better Darwin's Game? Let's see...and already, this is Geektoys's best performance by far, and a good thing that this is 24 episodes over split-cours.
KANLen09Apr 10, 2023 8:55 AM
Apr 10, 2023 9:04 AM

Feb 2019
Ok they’re cooking up something special here with the reverse isekai of the villain set up.

I went into the episode totally blind so after the first few minutes I thought it was gonna be a generic dark fantasy, was not expecting that twist.

Misaki genuinely caught me off guard. I was so focused on how much she reminded me of Mari from Evangelion that I didn’t even notice how sus it was that she pulled the dude into the back alley lol.

Really looking forward to this one
Apr 10, 2023 9:18 AM
Oct 2016
A different spin on the reincarnation style anime story that's become popular. This is similar almost to Devil Is a Part Timer since it's the evil lord getting reincarnated to modern Japan. But unlike that this one is actually evil and not misunderstood like Maou is. The necromancer Corpse God being reincarnated normally wouldn't be a good thing yet it seems the body he's been put in has a bounty against it. Polka a very odd name but definitely unique. Only a teenager and has a bounty on his head. It was kind of crazy seeing Polka walk around with his throat slashed. To then be chased by a psycho girl who's the one that just killed him. Talk about a rude awakening after just being placed in a new body and new world. I liked how the story tried to get us to think it was the hero that got reincarnated instead of the Corpse God. It made things very interesting as the episode went on. The ability for Polka to see the ghosts of people killed in a certain area is interesting. Drawing magic power from them to use himself but knowing the value of life since he can see their pain. This should be a fun dark show as the Corpse God acclimates to Polka body and discovers more about why there's a bounty on his life.
Apr 10, 2023 9:27 AM
Apr 2022
I can tell this one will be fun lmao. A bit edgy and I’m sure a lot of people won’t like it for that but this is my kinda shit. Some fun death game like story with great animation and stylish animation! Opening is also pretty good and unique
Apr 10, 2023 9:30 AM
Apr 2021
Bro I never expected Geek Toys to throw so much passion into this anime. Normally all their work is shit but god damn this was a REALLY good episode imo
Apr 10, 2023 9:35 AM

Jun 2016
I am hooked 👍 I like the twist they put in where instead of the typical route of where the main hero of that world being sent to contemporary Japan, we have instead the big bad of that world be the one who gets transported and moved to contemporary Japan instead
I look forward to seeing what else the protagonist will cook up after this and the direction of this story. And I already like Misaki lmao not one someone can just not pay attention to
Gift by Mimurona

Apr 10, 2023 9:36 AM

Nov 2016
I sure don't mind an edgy death game anime once in a while, even tho none of these come even close to Battle Royale or Gantz.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2023 9:38 AM
Feb 2021
holy fuck i found this one by pure chance and im glad i did?

thought this wasnt gonna be any good but colour me suprised, that was pretty fuckin good
Apr 10, 2023 9:44 AM

Feb 2021
This seems quite edgy but it can be good if done right. I like Misaki already.
Really liked the OP visuals.
EmbientApr 10, 2023 9:49 AM
Apr 10, 2023 9:58 AM
Dec 2021
amazing episode, excited for more.
Apr 10, 2023 10:09 AM

Jun 2014
So the evil big bad was isekai'd to modern Japan.......interesting. The action seems pretty good so far, I'll give it that. I have no clue what to expect from this so it should be quite a ride. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 10, 2023 10:27 AM

Jan 2014
It's finally here! This first episode had a lot of love poured into it with small details like Arase and Iwa noticing Corpse God and Misaki. If only they knew another troublemaker has entered the scene. I very much hope they'll continue with the post-credit scenes, cause those would be perfect to add the novel bits at the end of each volume.
I also spotted a certain someone in the ending visuals, and seeing them gives me hope for a 24 episode season, because we are only at the beginning of chapter 2 right now.

I was really worried about the animation and pacing, but they're doing a great job so far. 

(Edit: I only just realized that 24 episodes was already confirmed!)
CreeperfaceApr 10, 2023 10:30 AM
Apr 10, 2023 10:35 AM
Oct 2010
Consider me intrigued. The actual monstrous villain reverse isekai'd to become the protag in the body of an assassinated celebrity, hints of weird s**t going down in the city, and, of course, the craycray, all while the original hero(?) suspects his target escaped. 

Not sure how long the edgy main story will really keep my attention, but damn that post-credit scene made me laugh. So used to dealing with enemies with the vitality of super cockroaches that the idea of stepping on one only for it to actually squish is shocking! Hahaha!
Apr 10, 2023 10:40 AM

Jun 2019
A very interesting start to this show. I was expecting a fantasy show but it's a Isekai just in our world which is cool. The character designs are cool. Can't wait to see where it goes. This episode was a pretty decent start. I don't think Misaki is dead or is she really dead? LOL
Apr 10, 2023 10:47 AM

Jan 2014
KANLen09 said:
WOW this is edgy as heck from the manga of the same name from mangaka Ryohgo Narita, being a Darwin's Game derivative, but with substance.
This doesn't really have anything to do with Darwin's Game though?

FMmatron said:
I sure don't mind an edgy death game anime once in a while, even tho none of these come even close to Battle Royale or Gantz.

It's honestly much closer in vibe to Narita's other works like Durarara!!, but as a reverse isekai with assassins and murder instead of a gang war. It's not really a survival game anime.
Apr 10, 2023 10:52 AM
May 2021
The story seems cool, and the animation was good
Apr 10, 2023 11:01 AM

Mar 2016
Bruuuuuh, a reverse edgy isekai made by the Baccano and Durarara author? Fuck yeah, count me in! I'm curious to see how the story progresses, the guys of that organization and maybe something more or the world corpse god came from.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 10, 2023 11:01 AM
Jun 2022
13 years ago, Durarara was born and it brought so much things to my life even now. Now, Ryohgo Narita's back with another successful anime with its settings in Shinjuku. I read the manga and it brings me back the feelings when i first saw Durarara. This is the hidden gem in April anime. Can't thank sensei enough for bringing this piece of art to life
Apr 10, 2023 11:04 AM
May 2021
Really liked the start 🔥🔥
Apr 10, 2023 11:08 AM
Sep 2015
Oh I like the character design.
Apr 10, 2023 11:37 AM

Oct 2020
Interesting first episode, and the animation was actually pretty good.
Apr 10, 2023 11:52 AM
Nov 2015
i hope this not become underrated anime, because this series is really good with a lot of interesting character specially

redcobraApr 10, 2023 11:55 AM
Apr 10, 2023 11:56 AM
Apr 2023
Holy moly this shit is too amazing 👏 😍 😭 🙌
Apr 10, 2023 12:06 PM

Oct 2017
The villain guy reincarnated into modern world and he wants a peaceful life? Why was he killing people back in his previous world then? Also is Misaki chan really dead? I hope she's revived or something, liked her. Good to have anime of another work from Narita Ryohgo, hoping good things from this.
MegamiRemMay 7, 2023 4:42 PM
Apr 10, 2023 12:09 PM
Dec 2019
amazing first episode
Apr 10, 2023 12:12 PM

Nov 2016
Creeperface said:
KANLen09 said:
This doesn't really have anything to do with Darwin's Game though?

FMmatron said:

It's honestly much closer in vibe to Narita's other works like Durarara!!, but as a reverse isekai with assassins and murder instead of a gang war. It's not really a survival game anime.

It easily has enough similarties to classify it along with death game or battle royale series like Fate or Re:Creators

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2023 12:16 PM

Jun 2021
IM SO HYPED ABOUT THIS!!!! Also I know a dub has been announced and I’m hoping for Justin Briner and Tia Ballard
Apr 10, 2023 12:21 PM
Nov 2015
FMmatron said:
not battle royale but shonen, bloody action, mystery, conspiracy  & a bit comedy.
Apr 10, 2023 12:27 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
This is going to be stupid fun, I enjoyed that a good bit. Also, for a Geek Toys anime, this is looking pretty solid. Definitely their best looking anime so far (if you forget that CG tho)
Apr 10, 2023 12:27 PM
Jul 2015
At about minute 8, I was about to drop it, with all the cringe talk, the neon-light toy spirograph doodles and the most phallic excuse of a sword if I have ever seen one. Just a minute later, I was glad I didn't because it suddenly turned somewhat interesting!
... only to finish it off with a chuuni monologue so wanky, it would make even rl chuunis scream from embarrassment.
Yea, OK, people do really die in this world, the ending scene was actually a little funny, I'll give it at.

I feel this show is kind of hit AND miss (miss, hit, miss, little hit).
Apr 10, 2023 12:36 PM

Jul 2020
well this was fun. so it's not the hero who got reincarnated but the skeleton guy, huh. got me confused at first. expecting to see much blood and gore in this 
Apr 10, 2023 12:41 PM

Jan 2008
I love the manga, I love everything Ryohgo Narita creates and this series has just started with a blast, as expected! The manga is great, now I am very hyped seeing the quality of the first episode!
Apr 10, 2023 12:53 PM

Sep 2018
Coincidence of the millennium that I finished the final season of Durarara a literal day before a new Narita work started airing lmfaooo

Really liked this premiere! Gonna reserve staying much before the eventual multiple perspectives start coming into play so I'm very excited for that.
Apr 10, 2023 12:55 PM

Mar 2021
Didn't think Geektoys could cook like this! Really impressed with everything I've seen so far. All the reverse isekai I've seen (Dragon Maid, Devil is a Part-Timer, Jahy-sama) have leaned into the comedy of being a fish-out-of-water in the real world, but it looks like we're finally gonna get a serious, plot-driven story about a godly necromancer in the real world (or something reminiscent of the real world). Pretty excited about this. And we're even gonna get another cour in the Fall!
Apr 10, 2023 1:04 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
What an intense first episode, so the Corpse God got reverse isekaied to the modern world after clashing with the hero in another world. Now the Corpse God has been reincarnated in the body of Polka Shinoyama who was killed recently by a female assassin Misaki Sakimiya. After running around it seems that the Corpse God's powers have finally kicked in the modern world and he was able to kill Misaki Sakimiya with the Evil Eye power. A fantastic start to a very rather edgy series.

I had this series on my PTW list, but for some reason I removed and I don't know why exactly. I'm glad that I pick this up because it looks like a very interesting story and I hope it will be just as good as Durarara.
Apr 10, 2023 1:12 PM
Jun 2014
I thought it was meh, but they've finally managed to got my attention on the last few minutes after he was reborn in a new world. Literally just dump that filler junk from the first part of the episode and nothing would change. But at the end I got very intrigued. 
Apr 10, 2023 1:16 PM
Jun 2014
Dickegrobe said:
At about minute 8, I was about to drop it, with all the cringe talk, the neon-light toy spirograph doodles and the most phallic excuse of a sword if I have ever seen one. Just a minute later, I was glad I didn't because it suddenly turned somewhat interesting!
... only to finish it off with a chuuni monologue so wanky, it would make even rl chuunis scream from embarrassment.
Yea, OK, people do really die in this world, the ending scene was actually a little funny, I'll give it at.

I feel this show is kind of hit AND miss (miss, hit, miss, little hit).
A bit harsh imho, but I generally agree. 
Apr 10, 2023 1:50 PM

Sep 2007
Wow...the uh...battle scene in the beginning seemed very long/drawn-out especially if we never see those "church soldiers" ever again...but at least it established that the animation is reaaaallllly nice...

I lol'ed at the after credits scene at the scene where he was shocked she was already dead
Although I thought the evil eye thing could see souls? He wasn't able to see her body was soulless aka: already dead till he 'shook her around' ? That seems odd but ooook...I'm gonna guess they were just trying to be funny...
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Apr 10, 2023 2:01 PM
Apr 2020
Okay i can't be the only who got it wrong right? I thought the hero was the one who got reincarnated but no it's the necromancer . Bad guys in the world he got reincarnated to are going to have a hard time
Apr 10, 2023 2:03 PM
Aug 2021
I hope that girl won't be revived, annoying girl.
Apr 10, 2023 2:07 PM
Aug 2021
Jbhannibal67 said:
Okay i can't be the only who got it wrong right? I thought the hero was the one who got reincarnated but no it's the necromancer . Bad guys in the world he got reincarnated to are going to have a hard time
the voice is somehow different from the hero and the reincarnation dude, so I can tell that he wasn't the hero and yeah i got it right
Apr 10, 2023 2:30 PM
Jun 2022
I like this theme. I think it's great to finally have a villain as a main character as well.
Apr 10, 2023 3:01 PM
Apr 2020
lilyxxwise said:
Jbhannibal67 said:
the voice is somehow different from the hero and the reincarnation dude, so I can tell that he wasn't the hero and yeah i got it right
I thought that it's because of the new body he has a new voice......but yeah most times in reincarnations the voice in the character's head resembles the older self good point i missed it
Apr 10, 2023 4:05 PM
Jun 2022
Ryoma really went “What if a character from an isekai came to Durara?” XP And found it more terrifying than the isekai world XP
Apr 10, 2023 4:25 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ok, i seriously lol'd at the aftercredit scene

also, obvious Devil Survivor and Darwin's Game vibes with this one, and a few others
Apr 10, 2023 4:33 PM
Oct 2022
This episode was ok ig. I was a little bit confused by the logic and what was going on but i'm really into gore so the gore scenes gave .
Apr 10, 2023 4:54 PM
Oct 2020
Well this seems like it'll be somewhat fun
Apr 10, 2023 5:01 PM

Nov 2012
Wth? Why in the bejeezus was he surprised she died?
Apr 10, 2023 5:06 PM

Jul 2015
First episode was nice and animation was on above average level. Even CG wasn't that bad.
Though I won't get too hyped, because GEEKTOYS is notoriously bad studio and most likely they'll somehow find a way to ruin it.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2023

49 by Yabasawa »»
Aug 27, 6:35 PM

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2023

90 by Shadoweminence-8 »»
Aug 21, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2023

105 by BlueSnow93 »»
Jun 19, 6:57 PM

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2023

54 by kejora »»
Apr 30, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Dead Mount Death Play Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2023

56 by spicarie »»
Apr 23, 8:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.