3It was OK
11.0%
2Disliked it
5.7%
1Hated it
2.1%
Average 4.2
420 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 17, 2021 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kazuya Souma is sitting there on that throne chair like a boss. I see this episode properly introduced most of the main cast now including Juna. Not a fan of her anime character design but whatever. At least they made her character very graceful.

This episode had a very diverse range of characters in both personalities and races. I think it's a decent way as they can all pour creative ideas together to help the nation. Tbh, I consider this episode to be the real take off the show, with the first two being more like introductory episodes.
Jul 17, 2021 10:31 AM

Apr 2010
The most importuned thing that should be mentioned for this episode, Tomoe needs more screen time!!
Now we meet the characters that will help out the question is what will their influence be, so for they have only been introduced.
Souma also started using the announcement system for other things than what it was used for which is of course nice for the population, getting more information.
I have to say this was nicely animated so far.
Jul 17, 2021 10:33 AM

Apr 2016
Dude, his name is "Kwonmin" ... thats literally Kongming lmao. Whos Guan Yu in this ? They were not joking with the Three Kingdoms references lol.

Jul 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Jun 2019
This was the whole introduction to the cast of the show. I love how calm Kazuya is as a king of a country. He's willing to help every one of them and his own country by any means. Takes a lot of knowledge and skill to run a country like that.

Liscia gets jealous a little bit of that beautiful singer girl. LOL. Kazuya is such a great king in my eyes. I like his character and his approach towards the matter on his hands. Also, his remotely reading skill looks pretty handy. Overall, another nice episode.
Jul 17, 2021 10:59 AM

Jan 2021
Hmm, new characters... They are interesting, but nothing remarkable at first glance I'd say...

A whole episode to introduce 5 people, idk but it was quite tedious for me
Well, from now on, with everything already presented, we can finally start the interesting stuff <( ̄︶ ̄)>
Jul 17, 2021 11:00 AM

Apr 2014
A little jealous of Liscia was sooooo cute.
Kazuya's poltergeist hand, surely, is a very handy skill.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jul 17, 2021 11:01 AM

Nov 2019
Aww, I wanted to see the "audition" of all the contestants.

Must be nice being able to remote read. Imagine having that during an exam and you can just look up the answers without getting caught, easy.

Jul 17, 2021 11:01 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great presentation for all the new workers, they don't look incredible but I swear they are (especially Aisha for me)
Quite the cliffhanger with what Tomoe said to Souma, the current situation is definitely interesting!
Jul 17, 2021 11:17 AM

Jul 2017
They really named a character, "Poncho Pannacotta" huh...
Jul 17, 2021 11:17 AM

Oct 2017
This episode went by with the introduction of the gathered talents. The dark elf is ready to become his concubine and watching Liscia getting jealous was cute. Also I wonder what Tomoe said to Soma at the end there, he had a very shocked look on his face.
Jul 17, 2021 11:18 AM
Oct 2016
Souma making solid assessments on all the finalists here in front of him. Aisha the dark elf needing help for her people more than the reward Souma promised. His idea of thinning the forest is a genius one and something that wouldn't be thought of in this world. Souma brought up great points all the way around as to why they need to thin the forest. Aisha pledging fidelity to him did surprise me but if Souma helps her people then sure. Juna providing her lovely singing voice. She is quite beautiful too, gorgeous looks and a divine photographic voice. No wonder Liscia got jealous. Poncho with his incredible eating ability, I jokingly when I first saw him thought eating might be his talent but didn't actually think it would happen. But Souma welcomed him with open arms as an expert on all the culinary arts of the kingdom. Hakuya seems the most shady of the group but based on how the night goes him and Souma look like they'll be great allies. Tomoe being the last and smallest of the talented individual but speaking to animals is a splendid gift. I love the character moment at the end with Souma getting down to Tomoe level, literally, so she can speak to him. It shows how humble Souma is and how he cares about these people who's responsibility was thrust upon him.
Jul 17, 2021 11:24 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Having only one language in the world though sure will be useful. Given how useful Souma's been as a king so far Liscia wanting to keep him there is understandable. From the get go Aisha's attitude sure stood out as did her race's rep for being powerful warriors. Juna while certainly pretty also had one hell of a singing voice as well. To think that Pancho will be the one that Souma needed the most. I suppose a gourmet will be the best to tell you if a specific food type is worth keeping. Hayuya's test while simple in theory sure was a well thought out plan. Overall an excellent ep that while hinting at the changes that Liscia is going through did an excellent job at showcasing the new talent that will be joining the ranks to aid Souma's rebuild of the kingdom. Im quite curious at what role Tomoe will get though considering her talent. Vet maybe. While too soon to tell i think Hayuya will be someone that can be relied upon to keep things honest in the government.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2021 11:28 AM

Jul 2020
Liscia being jealous was jokes, start of the harem is imminent eh? Our king has that airpod tech too? Madness
LeviathanHWDJul 17, 2021 11:32 AM
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Jul 17, 2021 11:41 AM
Jul 2020
wtf is going on? In the 3rd episode of Bokutachi no Remake we got the opening from Ruruouni Kenshin, and now in this 3rd episode other opening as well, this time from Slayers NEXT "Give a reason".
Jul 17, 2021 11:41 AM

Mar 2013
"Slayers Next" opening took me out of guard.
Jul 17, 2021 11:45 AM

Sep 2020
It was a good episode overall, it gave me a smartphone isekai vibe though.
I am a useless student of society.
Tests are my body and Grades are my blood.
I have done over a thousand assignments.
Unseen by teachers,
nor done properly.
Yet, those hands shall never hold an outstanding grade.
So, as I pray...
Unlimited Homeworks.
Jul 17, 2021 11:49 AM
Dec 2020
I'm enjoying this series and its characters, I need more of it though to determine what I really think about it, but right now it sits at a solid 7/10, and if it continues to do well it could go to a 8, it depends on how things go from now on though of course.
some people...
Jul 17, 2021 11:55 AM
Jan 2009
Slayers Next opening was fire. Pity that they didn't cast Megumi Hayashibara as Doma but Reina did great job too.

Hope that means we will get new Slayers anime :D
Jul 17, 2021 12:00 PM

Aug 2008
Ugh, LN level of writing is showing. That kind of active way of maintaining a forest applies to artificial forests, not natural ones where old trees fall and make space for saplings waiting in the undergrowth. Putting that aside, I'm pretty damn sure elves living in a forest know more about it than a high schooler from country that has close to no natural woodlands anymore.

Another thing, shouldn't fat twat be recognized for being a gourmet, instead of a glutton? Being a hog doesn't mean someone if actually knowledgeable in regards to food anyway.

The whole selection was pretty dumb as well. Why would he learn about gathered talents only the moment he meets the people and need to decide where to appoint them? Shouldn't he first receive a report of all talents, decide which are useful and only then held an audience to appoint chosen ones?

I know isekai pretty much equals bad writing but country building series can't be as lazy as every other.

Oh ye, one more thing, if everyone lives in the same small kingdom and speaks the same language, why are names so absurdly different? Reason other than usual lack of creativity and coherence.
AntanaruJul 17, 2021 12:06 PM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 17, 2021 12:11 PM

Jun 2021
For a show that is full of plot holes, it sure loves to "explain" things using unnecessary narrations. I don't even understand the purpose of the avant part about the languages.

The dark elf part was sort of odd too. She starts out refusing to bow because she only bows to her master, but then the MC reads a Wikipedia page on "Thinning" and the next thing she is on her knees. Nothing interesting happens in rest of introductions to the other characters.

At least it ended on a cliffhanger, but I don't think I'll be tuning in for episode 4.
Jul 17, 2021 12:16 PM

Apr 2018
A lot of new characters. All 5 of them have something special. Hakuya was the most interesting one. Later he became Souma's right hand. Can't wait to see more of that. And that cliffhanger, ffs..

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 17, 2021 12:31 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
how does his phone still has a charged battery?

edit - due to further information and arguments given in this thread, please ignore the dismissive and disparaging tone of the message above.
betaweebJul 17, 2021 1:18 PM
Jul 17, 2021 12:42 PM
Jun 2020
betaweeb said:

He would've found some way to charge it
Jul 17, 2021 12:46 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Albaab19 said:
betaweeb said:

in what is basically a middle ages level society? come on bro i know this is a petty nitpick, but no matter how convenient magic is this is just ridiculous.
Jul 17, 2021 12:56 PM
Dec 2018
Antanaru said:
Ugh, LN level of writing is showing. That kind of active way of maintaining a forest applies to artificial forests, not natural ones where old trees fall and make space for saplings waiting in the undergrowth. Putting that aside, I'm pretty damn sure elves living in a forest know more about it than a high schooler from country that has close to no natural woodlands anymore.

Another thing, shouldn't fat twat be recognized for being a gourmet, instead of a glutton? Being a hog doesn't mean someone if actually knowledgeable in regards to food anyway.

The whole selection was pretty dumb as well. Why would he learn about gathered talents only the moment he meets the people and need to decide where to appoint them? Shouldn't he first receive a report of all talents, decide which are useful and only then held an audience to appoint chosen ones?

I know isekai pretty much equals bad writing but country building series can't be as lazy as every other.

Oh ye, one more thing, if everyone lives in the same small kingdom and speaks the same language, why are names so absurdly different? Reason other than usual lack of creativity and coherence.

The anime cut off much detail from the light novel. In the light novel, Souma gave a much deeper explanation of the problem, and the anime skipped over specific details, like the lack of trading between the Dark Elves and outsiders, which heavily contribute to the food shortage and other problems within the forest.

The process of selecting the candidates were much more in-depth than what was described in the anime. They spent, if I recalled, three days vetting out many of the applicants. There were also judges appointed to gauge and assess the applicants to weed out unwanted ones. The five who appeared before Souma were the ones who managed to pass the screening process.

For the "small kingdom" nitpick, there are countries outside of Elfrieden that resembles China and Japan. The universal language trope is there so the series won't be unnecessarily complicated.

This is what happens when a studio tries to cramp multiple volumes within 12 episodes.

betaweeb said:

He could have turned it off. It is not like he would have much use of his phone in his new world.
ConceptualheroJul 17, 2021 1:13 PM
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Jul 17, 2021 12:56 PM

Aug 2013
The recruit by Kazuya seemed to have been a success. He was so satisfied with Poncho. Maybe Kazuya just wants to eat other countries food or use Poncho's knowledge to improve the food of the country.

Hakuya seemed like a badass I can't wait to see more of him.

Jul 17, 2021 1:12 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Conceptualhero said:

betaweeb said:

He could have turned it off. It is not like he would have much use of his phone in his new world.

i guess, i feel like turning it off immediately in order to preserve a few hours of playing music or whatnot is a bit too big brained, somewhat far fetched and convenient, but your point is still admittedly solid and i did not think of that, so i retract my statement.
Jul 17, 2021 1:13 PM

Apr 2010
betaweeb said:
Albaab19 said:

in what is basically a middle ages level society? come on bro i know this is a petty nitpick, but no matter how convenient magic is this is just ridiculous.

It was simply not used until now.

Jul 17, 2021 1:15 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
antonn said:
betaweeb said:

It was simply not used until now.

fair enough, i'll edit my original message.
Jul 17, 2021 1:19 PM
May 2021
On the site i use to watch this for some reason the last few uploaded anime, including the third episode of this anime, the sub doesn't work. It's just the japanese version without subtitles. I think wrong uploads. Aniway, does anione know a website where i can watch it for free, with sub?
Jul 17, 2021 1:30 PM

Mar 2012
AntonKutovoi said:
"Slayers Next" opening took me out of guard.

I was also very surprised.
Jul 17, 2021 1:31 PM
Mar 2018
My theory about the cliffhanger: the girl told him about the water lady using birds to spy on him. IDK, actually it sounded more dramatic than that, but it definitely fits and it was hinted throughout the episode.

I'm enjoying the story so far. It's definitely refreshing to see a MC that actually uses his brain for a change, and it's more or less believable.

Antanaru said:
Ugh, LN level of writing is showing. That kind of active way of maintaining a forest applies to artificial forests, not natural ones where old trees fall and make space for saplings waiting in the undergrowth.

Yeah, I feel they missed some stuff in the explanation, but I think since the Elves are the guardians of the forest they may actually have been artificially maintaining it for a long time. They probably thought keeping the old trees alive would help protect it. I agree it's hard to believe they wouldn't have figured out thinning in what's presumably millennia of practice, but I can excuse that as them being fairly conservative and experimentation averse (elves have very long lives, and that tends to promote that kind of cultural trait). Still, how convenient it's only becoming a problem now, just in time for the hero to save them.

Antanaru said:

Maybe that was an issue with translation? Either way the concept of a gourmet is not necessarily a thing in that world, and it's all too easy to label someone that "loves to eat" as a glutton rather than a gourmet

Overall I think they have been handling the depth of research well enough. The elves problem was believable enough, the whole thing around using knowledge about food is pretty interesting and valid, the singer is a bit of a stretch but I've seen the trope used well enough in Dr Stone and her memory is bound to come in handy too, and the bookish guy is reminiscent of Miran from Legend of the Legendary Heroes (which is good, I suppose!). Ah, and the girl, despite being a cliched furry girl, also has a useful power for intel gathering. So all in all, a gang of talented people I can get behind. The diversity is good.

I look forward to seeing those talents used smartly over the next episodes. :fingerscrossed:

(I don't like that this is becoming a harem, my only nit to pick)
Jul 17, 2021 1:45 PM
May 2021
It was interesting, I expected more action, but is Ok, let´s see what happen in next episode.
I still don´t figure out how Souma will use Poncho´s talent.
Jul 17, 2021 1:53 PM

May 2018
Kazuya acts like a king all right wow! Tomoe is too cute I love fox girls :3
Jul 17, 2021 2:23 PM

Dec 2020
Bro im so curious what tomoe said to kazuya in the end-.-
Btw kazuya poltergeist technique is nice. Overall nice episode they introduced all 5 characters in 1 episode.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jul 17, 2021 3:01 PM
Sep 2020
Antanaru said:

To answer your doubts in a few words, the LN was quite a bit more informative, although your point is valid as well. For the language and what Poncho will do.. you'll get your answer if you continue watching it.

As for why you think LNs have bad writings, well, many LN authors are almost starving writers, and focus on tropes that sell well unless they have a good backer. The main demographic is teens (ages 13-15 mostly) so it might not sit with you well.

The only reason manga are more mature is because they nowadays have companies willing to display adult manga, which doesn't happen for LNs often.

Hope that answers most of your doubts
Jul 17, 2021 3:02 PM
Sep 2020
Larsgamingyt said:
On the site i use to watch this for some reason the last few uploaded anime, including the third episode of this anime, the sub doesn't work. It's just the japanese version without subtitles. I think wrong uploads. Aniway, does anione know a website where i can watch it for free, with sub?

Check out AniMixPlay
Jul 17, 2021 3:14 PM

Dec 2012
Well okay then.. Not much of a selection happening here for the viewers, they already picked everyone. Even though they were hyping up a big talent showing.
The ending was a real tease, PauseChamp moment.
Jul 17, 2021 3:25 PM

Apr 2015
Give it another few weeks and I will call Kazuya's poltergeist hand, Master Hand lol.

So the selection was exactly the few characters highlighted in the last episode. I am surprised about Poncho's talent. When I read "eating", I was like That's it?! But it seem Kazuya seems to see something in that talent that I don't see. But who knows we might explore that a little more later.

When it comes to the girls, they are all really cute. That Lorelei descendant and her signing voice is godlike! She put the best impression on me. I don't know what it is...

I am curious to know what Komoe said to Kazuya.

Now it's only a matter of time for the final girl to join the harem some time soon (I hope)
Jul 17, 2021 3:44 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Souma gets some useful talents of people. The whole scene of it is just nice. Looks like the story is taking its time to move which is good for this type of show. Overall best episode yet

Jul 17, 2021 3:59 PM
Jun 2021
Sh1na07 said:
Bro im so curious what tomoe said to kazuya in the end-.-
Btw kazuya poltergeist technique is nice. Overall nice episode they introduced all 5 characters in 1 episode.

But I feel dissatisfied because only 13 episodes. If the studio announce 24 episode, perhaps 4 volume with more deep meaning like LN version would be adaptation. But still, I'm looking forward about next episode.
Jul 17, 2021 4:04 PM

Jul 2014
Isshin said:
Slayers Next opening was fire. Pity that they didn't cast Megumi Hayashibara as Doma but Reina did great job too.
I recognized it immediately and said out loud "No fu**ing way. Slayers?" xD
And yes, it was fire and she did great job.

Isshin said:
Hope that means we will get new Slayers anime :D
I would love to see that, but it seems unlikely, if not impossible, right now :/
Jul 17, 2021 4:21 PM

Jan 2014
Why do I feel like that song bit, is going to be used in an anime meme somewhere, and someone is gonna replace the song with a Rick roll, or something really out of place lmao.
Jul 17, 2021 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
I liked the concept of the language it was interesting know more give how they understand a language from another world to that outstanding song.
Jul 17, 2021 4:32 PM

Apr 2020
very interesting skill, just like having a google in your head :)
Jul 17, 2021 6:36 PM

Nov 2017
Damn,quite a bit was missing from the LN,but the main points were got across I suppose.
Nice to see Tomoe as cute as described,and Juna as beautiful as well.

Good to see they kept the scene with Souma's meeting with Poncho,and Hakuya's response to that.
And Souma's use of his poltergeist skill is top level already :)
Jul 17, 2021 6:40 PM

Nov 2017
CeddyyBearr said:

So the selection was exactly the few characters highlighted in the last episode. I am surprised about Poncho's talent. When I read "eating", I was like That's it?! But it seem Kazuya seems to see something in that talent that I don't see. But who knows we might explore that a little more later.

Now it's only a matter of time for the final girl to join the harem some time soon (I hope)
Well,Souma's reason for welcoming Poncho so exuberantly will hopefully be clear pretty soon,and as for the "final"girl in the harem,hmmmmm,maybe ;)
Jul 17, 2021 6:41 PM

Feb 2018
So yeah, it was a talent show episode. I'm interested in some skills, besides this kingdom is also lacking in extraordinary talents.
Jul 17, 2021 7:21 PM

Apr 2018
As Stark said above, this episode felt like the actual start of the show. It made the anime a little bit more interesting, I just hope that the next one has some action in it because it would probably end up being boring otherwise.
Jul 17, 2021 8:04 PM
May 2016
Everything in this was infuriatingly stupid. It's like it was written by a dumbass who thinks they are smart and are too stupid to know they aren't. And that's exactly how the king comes off. The only way this show could work now is if the supposedly smart guy just volunteered so he could manipulate him and take over. Easy drop.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2021

101 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Oct 8, 12:02 PM

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2021

76 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 20, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2021

62 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 13, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2021

73 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 8, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2021

85 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 1, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.