3It was OK
9.2%
2Disliked it
0.7%
1Hated it
1.4%
Average 4.5
141 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 22, 2018 6:36 AM

Dec 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good episode again.

Kircheis sure showed Castrop's son who's boss, the latter definitely met a pathetic death but it was a death worthy of the pathetic man he was.

Interesting development with Oberstein, I half expected him to switch sides considering that going back to the Empire might've been suicide for him. Gotta commend him for the risk he took though. That said, he certainly shows now intention of sugarcoating his words, just straight and to the point even going so far as to call Reinhard naive. I suppose that's what let Reinhard judge him as someone who'd be useful even though Oberstein is not someone who'd show loyalty.

That scene with Reinhard caressing Kircheis's hair though. xD

The ending sequence was definitely the best, the emperor is actually aware of what Reinhard is trying to do and is surprisingly content with the dynasty ending with him. That made for a really interesting twist on things.
Looking forward to next week.
May 22, 2018 6:47 AM

Sep 2014
Castrop's son was assassinated by his own officers for not actually being a leader who would protect his own people other than himself. Kircheis successfully ended the rebellion without casualties for both sides. Oberstein reveals to Reinhard how much he despises the Empire under the Goldebaumm Dynasty and wants to change this with the latter's help. The Kaizer is already aware of Reinhard's plans but he is being realistic accepting the fact that nothing can last forever.
MonkeyDHunterMay 22, 2018 6:50 AM
May 22, 2018 7:19 AM

Mar 2017
I totally forgot about that rebellion. It seemed a little rushed, but it was probably somewhat like that in the novels anyway. I'm glad to finally see more on the Empire's side, I always find that side of the story more exciting for some reason. I remember the scene with the Kaiser and the one with Oberstein and Reinhard, they seem to be spot on from what I can remember. I don't remember these being in the novel however, and I should be past them chronologically. Oh well, maybe I just forgot. Anyway, another good episode. I am starting to really wonder how they will end this.
May 22, 2018 7:25 AM

Jul 2017
A very good episode with some intriguing developments with Oberstein and his motives, a badass Kircheis ending Castrop's son's work just like that and a scene with Reinhard stroking Kircheis' hair.

This show continues to deliver some quality stuff and it's a shame this show is heavily underviewed.
May 22, 2018 7:26 AM

Nov 2016
PalmtopKaiser said:
I remember the scene with the Kaiser and the one with Oberstein and Reinhard, they seem to be spot on from what I can remember. I don't remember these being in the novel however, and I should be past them chronologically. Oh well, maybe I just forgot.

Yes, these scenes were in the novel. The whole episode was very accurate to the novel except for expanding the Kastrop battle and going for a chronological order instead of the novel telling the Kastrop rebellion story in flashback.

Anyway, another good episode. I am starting to really wonder how they will end this.

Agree. While a fast paced transitional episode, it was very well put together all in all. If by where they'll end this you mean the current season, surely the end of the first novel?
May 22, 2018 7:40 AM

Nov 2016
Maximillian Castrop was a piece of shit and he eventually paid for that with his life. Of course, Kircheis did a good job too.

So Reinhard is going to make use of Oberstein and vice versa,hmm, I wonder if this won't backfire at some point.

Well,I keep liking the latter one.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 22, 2018 7:41 AM

Mar 2016
Scumbag "leader" dead by hands of his own crew, karma is a bitch. A new guy by recommendation leading a unity is not something accepted by default, but with some results Kircheis prooved he's capable to have his position. I guess Reinhard wasn't surprised of Iserlohn's fall when he heard the name Wen-li Yang. The king is aware of Reinhard's intentions, interesting...
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

May 22, 2018 7:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They're really playing the bromance to the max in this adaptation. That hair twirling at the end was intense stuff.

Von Reuental lacks the manly gravitas he has in the ova. It's hard to follow in Norio Wakamoto's shoes though.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 22, 2018 8:21 AM

Feb 2013
Oberstein joined their team.
May 22, 2018 8:39 AM

Jul 2015
The Kaiser wants to end his life with a big bang. The prime minister couldn't have a better face when he heard that.

May 22, 2018 9:27 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty good episode. Got to see what the Empire has been up to. Castrop's son was a total douchebag and got killed by his own men because he was a terrible leader. Kircheis successfully ending the rebellion in just two days is impressive. It was quite ballsy of Oberstein to say those things, Reinhard is going to make use of him. The hair-stroking scene was nice lol.
May 22, 2018 10:07 AM

Jun 2013
So, they ended up compressing two OVA episodes (5 and 8) into one. While it is definitely more faithful to the source novels, the end result is a nagging feeling that only the barest amount of plot information is revealed to the audience. Which makes this episode shallow in my opinion.
May 22, 2018 10:30 AM

Jul 2014
Another episode with a cartoonishly incompetent character. I can't take this horrible writing anymore.
May 22, 2018 11:08 AM

Nov 2016
Sokah said:
Another episode with a cartoonishly incompetent character. I can't take this horrible writing anymore.

In early LotGH there's quite a few characters like that on both sides who get killed off quickly, to drive home just how rotten the old order is. Soon the much more competent younger generation (like the admirals on Reinhard's side we met this episode) take their places and the battles become much more involved and interesting.
May 22, 2018 11:12 AM

Jul 2008
MagisterArcanum said:
So, they ended up compressing two OVA episodes (5 and 8) into one. While it is definitely more faithful to the source novels, the end result is a nagging feeling that only the barest amount of plot information is revealed to the audience. Which makes this episode shallow in my opinion.

As a new watcher, I don't have such a feeling. The first half showed what Kirsch... Reddie was capable off, while the second served as a good epilogue to the Iserlohn arc. At no point did I feel like I was not told something or like something was rushed.

The only bad thing is the preview as after so many eps of Republicans, I hoped that we would spend around as many with Imperials,
May 22, 2018 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
So, is Kircheis suppose to be taller than Reinhard or it's actually the other way around?
May 22, 2018 12:00 PM

Nov 2016
youthful said:
So, is Kircheis suppose to be taller than Reinhard or it's actually the other way around?

Yes, Kircheis is definitely taller. It’s stated a few times in the book how tall he is, and even Reinhard’s very first dialogue back in ep/ch1 is complaining that Kircheis’s got taller.
May 22, 2018 12:00 PM
Navel-Gazer

Jun 2015
youthful said:

They said it in the 1st episode; Kircheis is 190 cm tall, while Reinhardt is seven centimetres shorter than him (and, therefore, 183 cm tall).
"I stocked this for our last meal. So let's enjoy white rice tonight. But not all of it. We still have tomorrow and the day after that." ~Houjou San

"Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy." ~Ikari Yui

"Life is suffering and pain. The world is cursed, its people are cursed, and yet we still wish to live." ~Osa
May 22, 2018 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
Just the final scene where Kircheis and Reinhard are faced to each other made the height difference very obvious for me to notice it.
May 22, 2018 12:47 PM

Aug 2014
maaan, i was sleeping on this till yesterday, binged everything and now i'm sad cause of the wait

still, so damn good
May 22, 2018 12:56 PM

Feb 2017
Castrop reaped what he sowed. Oberstein is one hella honest and direct man, he will most surely prove useful to the Reinhard. Emperor is pretty laid back dude, loved the minister's reaction.
May 22, 2018 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Damn I liked it better when Castrop was in that roman attire instead and bought the Artemis Necklace from Ph/Fezzan only for Kircheis to use zephyr/seffle particles on them so the necklaces couldn't shoot and when they did they'll all blow up.
May 22, 2018 1:09 PM
Nov 2016
I am really impressed with this remake so far.

I felt like the rebellion was a bit rushed but meh...
May 22, 2018 1:49 PM

Sep 2011
We're finally back to the Empire!

I prefer the way the rebellion was handled in the OVA, it wasn't bad here, but it could've been more exciting for sure.

We also got to see the aversion Oberstein has for Kircheis' presence and position, but he's finally on Reinhard's side.

Then the one I thought was Müller was actually Lutz, I used to mistake Lutz for Wahlen and vice versa in the OVA for a while. lol Good to see they are more different here.

Oh, but I love how Reinhard caresses Kircheis' hair, I'm so glad they included it here too.

May 22, 2018 1:49 PM

Sep 2011
We're finally back to the Empire!

I prefer the way the rebellion was handled in the OVA, it wasn't bad here, but it could've been more exciting for sure.

We also got to see the aversion Oberstein has for Kircheis' presence and position, but he's finally on Reinhard's side.

Then the one I thought was Müller was actually Lutz, I used to mistake Lutz for Wahlen and vice versa in the OVA for a while. lol Good to see they are more different here.

Oh, but I love how Reinhard caresses Kircheis' hair, I'm so glad they included it here too.

May 22, 2018 3:15 PM

Nov 2011
I was really, really really hoping to see Hilda in this episode, especially after the brief introduction of her father. That's too bad. Guess we won't see her in this season. :/
May 22, 2018 3:51 PM

Sep 2012
Another great episode.
May 22, 2018 4:26 PM

Oct 2008
So glad to be back at the empire again!!.....And it looks like we're going back to the alliance again next week. The remake is following the novel well, but I prefer how the OVA would switch back and forth between the two powers with each episode, for the most part.

Anyway, I loved this episode!! So glad to finally see the rest of Reinhard's team and their new designs! I love them; great voices too!

I do find Lutz's and Wahlen's new looks amusing though. They had fairly similar looks in the OVA, so it's as if the designers looked at the OVA versions, then took the manliness out of Lutz and gave it all to Wahlen. So now we have a boyish Lutz and a macho Wahlen in the remake, haha.

The animation in all the space battles have been so amazing! I love them all.

And Kircheis is as awesome as ever! Much love to him!
May 22, 2018 5:39 PM

Sep 2012
Sokah said:

I can see where the author was going with this, but it's what makes the 1st quarter of the story the least good for me.
It's basically about how the war had grown to a stalemate because the commanders on both sides were arrogant morons, so they start getting replaced by competent people and the war gets way more dynamic and starts heading somewhere.
May 22, 2018 5:46 PM
Dec 2014
That battle was a joke and can be summarized as such. "See that hole? everyone go through and I will follow at the rear. What the hole closed, and I'm stuck?." The OVA of the rebellions was so much better. Liked the character and politics though.
May 22, 2018 11:38 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty good episode. I was sorta hoping to see Castrop wearing a toga but I respect the change for consistency in military attire. I don't really remember Reinhard ever doing cutesey things like playing with Kircheis's hair. I guess they're trying to appeal to the fujoshis out there.
May 22, 2018 11:44 PM

Nov 2016
MagnaAnima said:
I don't really remember Reinhard ever doing cutesey things like playing with Kircheis's hair. I guess they're trying to appeal to the fujoshis out there.

He did it atleast twice, maybe more, in the OVA. The novel also says in this chapter they adapted that he often likes to play with Kircheis' hair.
May 22, 2018 11:51 PM

Sep 2013
Yorkshire_Megan said:

He did it atleast twice, maybe more, in the OVA. The novel also says in this chapter they adapted that he often likes to play with Kircheis' hair.

If that's true then wow, you have a great memory! Thanks for the clarification.
May 23, 2018 12:54 AM

Oct 2008
Very good episode!
Read Admiral Siegfried proved his capability.
So this time Captain Oberstein went to his excellency! but damn! he showed total transparency! he maybe not loyal to any superiors but i think this is something that they could use for sure.
5/5.

May 23, 2018 1:35 AM
Apr 2016
This series is genuinely genius. The free alliance is turning into the fascist state, while former nazies have an enlightened leader who is simply trying to enjoy his life, while he can... The story is shaping up to end quite tragically. Kircheis serves the mind of Annerose, and Reinhard himself just wants to rise to power to "free" his sister. As I see it come to end, Reinhard becomes as ruthless as Rudolf was, probably killing Oberstein himself, and Kircheis ends up shooting Reinhard as he becomes something both he and Annerose would fear. And then there is a poor emperor, awaiting his judgement day... What history does to people...
Re:formed
May 23, 2018 2:13 AM

Nov 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
This series is genuinely genius. The free alliance is turning into the fascist state, while former nazies have an enlightened leader who is simply trying to enjoy his life, while he can... The story is shaping up to end quite tragically. Kircheis serves the mind of Annerose, and Reinhard himself just wants to rise to power to "free" his sister. As I see it come to end, Reinhard becomes as ruthless as Rudolf was, probably killing Oberstein himself, and Kircheis ends up shooting Reinhard as he becomes something both he and Annerose would fear. And then there is a poor emperor, awaiting his judgement day... What history does to people...

Unfortunately that won't happen later
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
May 23, 2018 2:27 AM
Apr 2016
KyouKaiTen said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Unfortunately that won't happen later

And that's a spoiler, but we will see.
May 23, 2018 3:20 AM

Jan 2015
And I thought the roman/greek gimmick was dumb, this was on a new level.
The first part of this episode was really badly rushed and the new "punching everyone" gimmick of Maximilian was idiotic, not to mention they copied the death scene of another character that I won't name.
The second part I liked a lot more, I cherish every Oberstein moment and this one didn't stray far from the original and was overall well made.
But I didn't get my caesar salad, so this episode isn't getting a good rating. 3/5
May 23, 2018 12:44 PM
Mar 2016
Welp castrop got owned by his own men for being such a dick.

GAY..................................
May 24, 2018 1:25 AM
Apr 2016
Whoahoho said:
Welp castrop got owned by his own men for being such a dick.

GAY..................................

I expected this series to have 99% male characters, who are basically fodder, when the only two(three with Jessica) female characters so far are the crucial pieces on the board. Good thing I did though, otherwise I would question my reasoning and "man-liness" for viewing it.
May 24, 2018 1:05 PM
Nov 2009
They made Reuenthal look like an emo smh...Should have gotten a VA with a similar voice as Norio Wakamoto atleast. I mean Oberstein and Yang Wen-li sound almost identical to the old VA's who portrayed them.

This version of the "rebellion" didnt gave of the same Julius Caesar vibes the way the OVA did.
May 25, 2018 2:42 AM

May 2010
After 8 episodes, I still absolutely dislike the design. The characters look all the same to me, their mimics are so similar like they were cut from a journal. Pretty boys (and girls) one after another, without that splendid differentiation we saw in the original OVA. To say nothing about sticking to the original story and descriptions in the novel - like, hello, Frederica had hazel eyes, not yellow-green...!

As for the seiyuu, which was for me a far greater concern than the design, I must admit that at least Suzumura as Yang, Ono as Mittermeyer and Suwabe as Oberstein do a good job and clearly try to sound like the previous seiyuu. I especially feared for Oberstein, for I consider Shiozawa's acting simply as a masterpiece, and now I can breathe a sigh of relief and decide that maybe I will be able to listen to it, after all. Suwabe seems to understand that voicing Oberstein isn't a child's play, and I'm grateful for it.

Having that said, I am utterly disappointed with Miyano as Reinhard. He obviously tries to NOT sound the way he used to in many anime - like a narcissistic psychopath - which results in him sounding completely impersonal and boring here. This is a great loss for the anime and the whole story since Reinhard is the main character and SHOULD show his personality. Horikawa was able to wonderfully stress all Reinhard's emotional states, even those subtle, and Miyano completely fails at that.

As for the psychological development and inner richness of the characters, Kircheis and Schönkopf don't exist for me, which is very sad since they were certainly the ones to make a great impression, both in the original OVA and the novel. It's unfortunate that this new adaptation kills some very interesting characters like that.
May 25, 2018 6:30 PM

Oct 2017
I honestly have really liked the adaptation up to these two recent episodes which while not bad the OVA handled both of these situations better. I mean I started watching LOTGH because of the remake but after seeing the original they rushed both this and Isherhon's capture and left out important details. Still have been enjoying the remake and these episodes but honestly this could have used one or two more episodes to develop these plot lines better.
May 26, 2018 10:12 AM

Sep 2009
Very unimpressed with the Castrop Rebellion. What had a full episode in the original OVA is rushed into half the length, and it shows. Castrop himself is even more over-the-top here with his character seemingly devolved to nothing more than punching everyone who talks to him, and the tactics used here were absurdly simplistic (having played out in much more detail originally). Ultimately it just felt rushed and was a major disservice to Kircheis, whom this episode should have established as an excellent character, and whom has consistently been shafted by the changes in this remake.

The second half of the episode was excellent, however. The first moment that Oberstein starts to make his moves was delivered excellently and promises a good start for his arc. The final scene with Friedrich also had an excellent tone, appropriately somber and showing just how world-weary and disinterested in being empreror that Friedrich is.
May 26, 2018 11:30 AM

May 2018
Well then Kircheis was able to subdue Castrop without the loss if life, pretty much better than Reinhart............castrop wasn't much of a leader ratherm he was more like a spoiled brat who thinks he is better than anyone else, and in the end he paid dearly.
May 26, 2018 6:35 PM

Feb 2013
Turn on your master and be saved.
Quite the diplomat.

Oberstein is shadier than shady.
May 27, 2018 7:37 PM

Apr 2007
Oberstein my man, he's finally making his move. I was afraid him joining Reinhard happened later in the series and I wouldn't be able to see much of him.
Aug 9, 2018 8:39 PM

May 2012
Great episode, love the details they really manage to put into this! Looking forwards to see what's next.
Aug 27, 2018 4:21 AM
May 2015
The way he flipped Kircheis's hair was so cute!!!!! XDDDDD
Oct 7, 2018 5:15 PM

Jan 2013
Another amazing episode.
I'm loving this anime so much.

The OP and ED are amazing, and i love how they always show us each side of the story, that each one of them has their own problems. And that's why i ended up liking both factions, i really hope that Yang and Reinhard will find a way to end this with peace :)
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.