3It was OK
18.0%
2Disliked it
9.0%
1Hated it
3.0%
Average 4.0
133 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 8, 2015 10:41 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this episode had more manservice than I had expected.

Still a thrilling episode though with the doctor and joker card stuff involved.
Acetylene is a character that I find kinda interesting. The patient this episode seems to suffers from some heart problems..

Lol, I just noticed that Hazama shirtless more than half this episode.
Stark700Oct 9, 2015 10:32 PM
Oct 8, 2015 12:24 PM

Jan 2008
Wow... they REALLY want the fujoushi money. They could at least be a little subtle about it, but nah... Hazama needs to show his abs, while in chains.
Oct 8, 2015 2:43 PM
Aug 2012
They made the right choice with targeting fujoushi, its not like otakus would have ever bought this thing no matter how good it was, just look at Parasyte and Kids on the Slope, Rainbow Nisha (classic adaptation and 60's setting shows) abysmal sales. So why not focus on the women then? Its a product meant to sell afterall.

Its only his shirt off anyway, its so much milder than the offensive and suggestive fanservice we get with female characters in every other show. Not to mention Black Jack was a handsome guy to begin with even in the previous adaptations, they just amped it up according to latest demands.

All that said, this episode was a step up from last. They seem to be raising the stakes with every episode. I've heard a lot of good things about Vietnam arc, can't wait to see it.
KarshiOct 8, 2015 3:33 PM
Oct 8, 2015 3:08 PM
Apr 2014
DmonHiro said:
Wow... they REALLY want the fujoushi money. They could at least be a little subtle about it, but nah... Hazama needs to show his abs, while in chains.

Here we go again with some people using this baseless term once again.
Oct 8, 2015 3:32 PM
Aug 2012
AquaWateria said:
DmonHiro said:

He meant female audience who are willing to throw money on seeing a handsome dude with rock solid abs. Fine if fujoushi means Bl lover in strict terms but on English anime community its pretty commonly used as general term for female demographics who are into manservice (these two demographics overlap anyway) so kindly don't go dictionary dictator on people.
KarshiOct 8, 2015 3:39 PM
Oct 8, 2015 3:51 PM
Apr 2014
Karshi said:
AquaWateria said:

He meant female audience who are willing to throw money on seeing a handsome dude with rock solid abs. Fine if fujoushi means Bl lover in strict terms but on English anime community its pretty commonly used as general term for female demographics who are into manservice (these two demographics overlap anyway) so kindly don't go dictionary dictator on people.

No I understand what he means, I'm just tired of people writing a series off just because it has a guy showing off his body. I'm straight but I don't find a guy showing off his body offensive in any way especially when we have many shows where females show off their tits and asses.
Oct 8, 2015 4:21 PM

Jan 2008
AquaWateria said:
I'm just tired of people writing a series off just because it has a guy showing off his body.

Oh come ON, they were topless and chained to the gurneys, how much more blatant can you get? It's the exact same thing as when the MC walks in on a girl changing. It's just as desperate there as it is here. I have nothing against the male body, I'm just calling out blatant pandering when I see it.
Oct 8, 2015 7:43 PM
Aug 2013
Really enjoying this anime so far. Black Jack is a really intriguing character. Does anyone know why half of his face is colored brown?
Oct 8, 2015 7:54 PM
Apr 2014
OtakuSwoosh said:
Really enjoying this anime so far. Black Jack is a really intriguing character. Does anyone know why half of his face is colored brown?

I don't know whether Young Black Jack will provide the backstory but the original series did explain why his face is like that. Don't want to explain it because it would go into spoiler territory so maybe just wait till YBJ explains it I guess.
Oct 8, 2015 8:22 PM

Aug 2013
More manservices in this episode. Not that i'm irritated with it but is there any reason why they got topless during the entire time ? I watched the raw so i' don't really understand what's going on (but i kinda get it that they want a heart donor for the oldman)

OtakuSwoosh said:

The original has a story for it. Dunno if YBJ is gonna cover that (Probably not)
CainthazarOct 8, 2015 8:25 PM
Oct 9, 2015 10:44 PM

Dec 2014
Does anyone here actually know what a defibrillator does? Because it's totally not how it was depicted in the anime. If your heart completely stops beating no defibrillator in the world would get your heart beats again, I brought it up because well, it's an anime that is supposed to get some medical aspect right, and Young Black Jack who is supposed to be very good at his profession should already know that. It's particular embarrassing given the nature of the anime. If he really wants to revive the man he should perform CPR (I'm not an expert of these kind of stuff, anyone who knows a thing or two want to shed us some light on this matter?).
raveninthemuddleOct 9, 2015 10:54 PM
Oct 9, 2015 11:00 PM
Nov 2013
raveninthemuddle said:
Does anyone here actually know what a defibrillator does? Because it's totally not how it was depicted in the anime. If your heart completely stops beating no defibrillator in the world would get your heart beats again, I brought it up because well, it's an anime that is supposed to get some medical aspect right, and Young Black Jack who is supposed to be very good at his profession should already know that. It's particular embarrassing given the nature of the anime. If he really wants to revive the man he should perform CPR (I'm not an expert of these kind of stuff, anyone who knows a thing or two want to shed us some light on this matter?).

You still need a defibrillator even after CPR compressions.
Oct 9, 2015 11:10 PM

Dec 2014
ykl225ykl said:
raveninthemuddle said:

But YBJ goes straight to using the defilbrillator before performing any CPR...and he is the genius...
Oct 9, 2015 11:16 PM

Dec 2014
A win-win outcome.
Oct 9, 2015 11:18 PM
Jul 2018
The patient suffered from a heart problem.

It was good to see Raymond is continuing to live and his daughter is saved!
Oct 9, 2015 11:27 PM
Apr 2014
Yep Young Black Jack anime is definitely following the footsteps of the 2004 TV version of Black Jack. Rather than revolving mainly on the surgery it's mostly focusing on the moral dilemmas Hazama faces. Unlike the OVA series which was more gritty, YBJ probably won't follow that route.

I can see people either hating this or liking this direction. I personally enjoy the 2004 TV version on how it wasn't really focusing on the surgery but rather Hazama facing challenges, medical drama, and moral dilemmas.
Oct 10, 2015 1:09 AM

Apr 2015
I'm absolutely loving this! Kinda remineds me of kaiji in a way don't know why. And the OP is just epic!
Oct 10, 2015 1:53 AM

Jan 2015
So they're doing Face Transplant instead.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Oct 10, 2015 1:57 AM

Jul 2013
This episode was really interesting. Hayama is quick and decisive in the middle of an important surgery. I wonder how he ended up with such a huge debt...
When they called him a genius:
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Oct 10, 2015 2:44 AM

Jun 2015
Really interesting twist at the end there. Reminded me a little of FaceOff the movie.
Looking forward to next ep!
Also, the OP theme is growing on me a little.

Oct 10, 2015 3:03 AM

May 2015
that should've cleared his debt right?
Oct 10, 2015 4:37 AM

Sep 2012
That was a ridiculous ending.
Oh god who are you people?
Oct 10, 2015 4:39 AM

Jan 2015
Can someone explain to me how they thought this idea would work? You do the face transplant....the cult members will recognize in a matter of minutes that it isn't their leader.

The father gets a face he doesn't want....this is fucked up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2015 4:51 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
All dem abs lol

I'm really glad that Hazama let that dick die, he didn't deserve to live. I'm even more impressed by the fact that he pulled a Hush from Arkham Knight and literally turned the guy into the old dude

That was a pretty smart idea.....Great episode overall but I want to know who this Dr. Joker person is
TokoyaOct 10, 2015 4:57 AM
Oct 10, 2015 4:57 AM

Feb 2015
Man, some people really like to focus on trivial matters, like the ''manservice.'' Sales are important to studios (just look at Manglobe) and it's a smart business move to make the show more appealing to a certain demographic. As long as it's not the main focus, and the characters & story is good, then I don't really see the problem here.

Great episode. I liked the moral dilemma Hazama had to face, and I imagine this will be a recurring theme throughout the series. It makes you think and question what you would do in the same situation. I'm very curious why he has a large sum of debt though.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2015 5:04 AM
Jan 2014
SchwingBoner said:
Man, some people really like to focus on trivial matters, like the ''manservice.'' Sales are important to studios (just look at Manglobe) and it's a smart business move to make the show more appealing to a certain demographic. As long as it's not the main focus, and the characters & story is good, then I don't really see the problem here.

Great episode. I liked the moral dilemma Hazama had to face, and I imagine this will be a recurring theme throughout the series. It makes you think and question what you would do in the same situation. I'm very curious why he has a large sum of debt though.

He said it was to safe a life, but it failed.

Maybe it will be explained in more detail later.

Oct 10, 2015 5:06 AM

Feb 2014
What's up with the character noses... They look like their from an old anime... I know it's a fill for an old series but it wouldn't hurt to adapt.

Well, so they changed the good guy's face. Not bad. Didn't expect it, but then, I didn't pay much attention either.

P.S.: Nice abs.
Oct 10, 2015 5:30 AM
Sep 2014
The silly tones with mature twists reminds me of Jojo. Still, facial reconstructive surgery might've been the shark it needed to jump to show just how far the show is willing to go.
I'm gonna start timing how many minutes in all episodes Hazama is shirtless, or with some homoerotic implications.
Oct 10, 2015 5:33 AM

Jun 2014
Very intense episode. We got some backstory of Yabu which was good, and also of Hazama. I was really surprised at the end before we found out what he has done, I thought why the hell is he talking to that scumbag. Very strong episode, like it A LOT. Wonder who doctor Joker is.
Oct 10, 2015 5:55 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
AquaWateria said:
Karshi said:

No I understand what he means, I'm just tired of people writing a series off just because it has a guy showing off his body. I'm straight but I don't find a guy showing off his body offensive in any way especially when we have many shows where females show off their tits and asses.

I agree. The ladies are entitled to their eye candy too. I cannot see why it bothers people. Almost all series, even non-ecchi ones, have good looking female characters showing off too much cleavage/legs, the obligatory onsen/beach episode etc, etc.

I really didn't expect Black Jacks solution to the problem. Basically he did a face transplant? Who's heart was left in the body then?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 10, 2015 6:01 AM

Jul 2010
So they can't do a heart transplant because it's the 1960s and no patient has survived more than 18 days after one...

But they CAN do a full face transplant even though the FIRST time that was done was in 2010? FIFTY years later?

That was a completely ridiculous ending.
Oct 10, 2015 6:02 AM

Jan 2015
Farabeuf said:
AquaWateria said:

I agree. The ladies are entitled to their eye candy too. I cannot see why it bothers people. Almost all series, even non-ecchi ones, have good looking female characters showing off too much cleavage/legs, the obligatory onsen/beach episode etc, etc.

I really didn't expect Black Jacks solution to the problem. Basically he did a face transplant? Who's heart was left in the body then?

The old guy died. The man who volunteered for his heart, will get the face of the old guy.
Oct 10, 2015 6:10 AM
Sep 2012
Unfortunately looks like I'll be dropping this next episode. Such a ridiculous ending and I'm not into yaoi.
Oct 10, 2015 6:11 AM

Sep 2010
That sudden conclusion! Great.

Also this episode explains the ending of the first one. I thought it was strange that Hazama was so desperately upset after the "father" fuck him up and did not pay. Still now I know why. A debt that can suddenly end his life (like today) is something to be concern about).

But why are there comments about "fujoushi money"... hahaha can't you all just enjoy the anime in peace. Then again, comments like that are the reason why I check and comment myself. :)

Ah, but I really like the vibes I get from this anime.
Oct 10, 2015 6:32 AM

Aug 2013
SaberSworn said:
Unfortunately looks like I'll be dropping this next episode. Such a ridiculous ending and I'm not into yaoi.

Phobia much ? I don't like yaoi shows but this is just stupid.
Oct 10, 2015 7:28 AM
Apr 2014
SaberSworn said:

These are the baseless and stupid comments that make me facepalm.

Are you too insecure to see a guy take off his shirt?
Oct 10, 2015 7:36 AM

Jul 2010
why ppl hate shirtless guy so much? i thought it has been around since the 80s with hokuto no ken, saint seiya, and dragon ball...

anyway that plastic surgery was gold, that's just what the future black jack would do lol.
Oct 10, 2015 8:29 AM

Nov 2013
Wow I did not expect that.
Oct 10, 2015 8:35 AM

Oct 2014
KKRais said:
So they can't do a heart transplant because it's the 1960s and no patient has survived more than 18 days after one...

But they CAN do a full face transplant even though the FIRST time that was done was in 2010? FIFTY years later?

That was a completely ridiculous ending.

If they keep on doing things like this and treating them like totally normal plot devices, I'm not say I'm gonna drop the anime, but I'll give it a much lower score (for me now YBJ deserves barely a 6).
Oct 10, 2015 9:10 AM

Nov 2013
People sure love "realistic" settings in anime. If you love it so much, how about you go watch a documentary or something since fiction is clearly not for you?

And that wasn't a yaoi scene... and even if it was there's nothing wrong with that... Suddenly guy x guy moment is the epitome of evil on this site, while sexualized underage lolis in 90% of anime are totally normal.
Oct 10, 2015 9:21 AM

Aug 2010
Okay I guess I'll turn off my brain for this. "Can't transplant his heart, let's transplant his face" LOL
Oct 10, 2015 9:23 AM

Sep 2014
We don't need realism in Anime, I'm fine with how shite goes here. Black Jack's supposed to be about miraculous stuff, is cool.
Oct 10, 2015 9:40 AM

Jun 2013
DmonHiro said:
AquaWateria said:
I'm just tired of people writing a series off just because it has a guy showing off his body.

Oh come ON, they were topless and chained to the gurneys, how much more blatant can you get? It's the exact same thing as when the MC walks in on a girl changing. It's just as desperate there as it is here. I have nothing against the male body, I'm just calling out blatant pandering when I see it.

Uh, no, that's not blatant fanservice. I don't see you or any other straight male here complaining about huge ass tits and ass on female characters being oversexualized and used as instruments to attract more male viewers. Double standards much? Is this how insecure heterosexual guys are nowadays? It obviously bothers you a lot since you pointed it out.

Shirtless guy =/= fanservice. So Goku and Piccolo being shirtless is fanservice for girls and fujoshis huh? Pfft, puh-lease. This episode was pretty good and all you got out of it was Hazama and the other guys being shirtless? No fucking duh, how else do you perform surgery? With clothes on? They needed them stripped so it'd be easier to operate on the victims rather than having to force them out of their clothes later on.

That ending was unexpected to say the least. However, I have a feeling that cult's followers will eventually realize he's not really who he says he is.
臭い-
Oct 10, 2015 9:43 AM

Jun 2013
HandsomeMan said:
People sure love "realistic" settings in anime. If you love it so much, how about you go watch a documentary or something since fiction is clearly not for you?

And that wasn't a yaoi scene... and even if it was there's nothing wrong with that... Suddenly guy x guy moment is the epitome of evil on this site, while sexualized underage lolis in 90% of anime are totally normal.

PREACH!

I've seen yaoi several times and even hentai yaoi. That scene was not not even a sliver of yaoi. I guess Goku fighting antagonists topless is also yaoi, huh? These insecure and hypocritical idiots are moaning over nothing.
臭い-
Oct 10, 2015 10:09 AM

Aug 2014
Wait the topless stuff bothered people lol. I love how they focus on a minor detail compared to the riveting ethical issues.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 10, 2015 10:39 AM

Jul 2012
raveninthemuddle said:
ykl225ykl said:

But YBJ goes straight to using the defilbrillator before performing any CPR...and he is the genius...

No he just doesn't want to put in effort to save an evil man.
Oct 10, 2015 10:42 AM

Oct 2011
Topless males chained down, money thrown at Hazuma by an old guy and he is on the ground like a stripper, countless topless scenes with Hazuma and wtf was that bit about Yabu blushing when Hazuma complemented him?

I am sick of the obvious pandering to the anime girls.
Oct 10, 2015 10:45 AM

Feb 2015
Really great episode! Wasn't expecting a full face transplant at the end though. I guess that's Deus Ex Machina for you.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Oct 10, 2015 10:50 AM
Apr 2014
Gov said:
Topless males chained down, money thrown at Hazuma by an old guy and he is on the ground like a stripper, countless topless scenes with Hazuma and wtf was that bit about Yabu blushing when Hazuma complemented him?

And here's another hypocritcal individual.
Oct 10, 2015 10:54 AM

Oct 2011
AquaWateria said:
Gov said:

And here's another hypocritcal individual.

How the hell am I hypocritical?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Young Black Jack

Hydre_Ito - Sep 19, 2020

5 by Shidoteki »»
Jun 17, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2015

193 by KuriPuri »»
May 8, 1:47 AM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

74 by Delgear »»
Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

50 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 22, 2021 5:19 PM

» Could I watch this without watching the original anime?

Kamirator - Apr 23, 2021

4 by Kamirator »»
Apr 25, 2021 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.