3It was OK
25.6%
2Disliked it
7.7%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.0
39 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2009 4:14 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Man that was just awesome. Really had a spooky atmosphere to it! Guess in the end the hunters ended being the hunted, though the ending was a bit confusing--was it all a dream?

Too bad this title doesn't seem to be that well known. :/
Nov 2, 2009 11:34 AM

Jan 2009
Creepy atmosphere. Interesting how they can keep the story going with no dialogue at all.

Mmmm no I don't think they died. Wasn't a dream either..... I think

Dog barking, no guns etc.

Why is it tagged Historical tho. Should be horror, fantasy + surreal in stead
Nov 4, 2009 8:27 PM

May 2009
Strange stories always intrigues me. Practically everything in this movie is spot on.
Feb 24, 2010 10:08 AM

Dec 2008
These ought to help you understand:

http://www.kenji-world.net/english/works/texts/restaura.html
http://tonygonz.blogspot.com/2006/05/restaurant-of-many-orders-miyazawa.html

So, yes, it's a parable of man vs. nature, wherein the hunters are scared out of their wits so badly that they never want to pick up a gun again. There are some interesting details left out of the animation, though, like the dogs coming back to rescue the men at the last moment, appearing as polar bears (large and white, in representation of nature's purity, I guess) — instead the screen goes black and we just hear them barking and growling, the cats shrieking and a shuffling noise...

I watched this raw, too, so there were no subs to offer translations for all the signs the hunters encountered along the way. Reading the story will help you to understand what their experience was like a bit more clearly.

What's most interesting about this is that all Japanese elementary school students read this story! How cool. That's probably why it's tagged Historical.
Feb 26, 2010 3:42 PM
Aug 2009
Quite interesting, the atmosphere was really creepy. I would like to read the original story.

Druozo said:
was it all a dream?

I think that not at all, the probably been in this "restaurant"... but, who knows what really happen ^^
Nov 18, 2011 4:51 PM
Mar 2011
this is one of the best novel adaptions ever done by nay one form any nation
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"ο»Ώ

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 3, 2012 7:09 PM

May 2011
remoticon said:
These ought to help you understand:

http://www.kenji-world.net/english/works/texts/restaura.html
http://tonygonz.blogspot.com/2006/05/restaurant-of-many-orders-miyazawa.html

So, yes, it's a parable of man vs. nature, wherein the hunters are scared out of their wits so badly that they never want to pick up a gun again. There are some interesting details left out of the animation, though, like the dogs coming back to rescue the men at the last moment, appearing as polar bears (large and white, in representation of nature's purity, I guess) β€” instead the screen goes black and we just hear them barking and growling, the cats shrieking and a shuffling noise...

I watched this raw, too, so there were no subs to offer translations for all the signs the hunters encountered along the way. Reading the story will help you to understand what their experience was like a bit more clearly.

What's most interesting about this is that all Japanese elementary school students read this story! How cool. That's probably why it's tagged Historical.

This helped so much. Thanks! I figured I wasn't really getting the gist of it all from the anime, and it helps a lot when I know what the cards were saying.
Jan 1, 2013 8:12 AM

Feb 2009
They were lucky to got out in one piece; I guess they are done with hunting though. I don't know about you guys but I would have never set foot in this restaurant after reading the sign in front of it.
May 13, 2013 2:33 PM

May 2012
Some strange short movie was this, a really unique art style that I didn't like all to much and a story without dialogue was rather confusing although it sure was something interesting!
Nov 24, 2013 2:04 AM

Apr 2009
Oh gods another Kenji Miyazawa work. I haven't seen all of Kenji Miyazawa animated adaptation but when it comes to them, I always seem to not get it, and feel like I'm a shallow person for not getting it. Ah well maybe I'm not that perceptive enough to see the message when it comes to Kenji's work. Okay that's enough self-flagellation. I think the plot this time though was simple enough, a case of hunter being the hunted, huh? And this time, I liked the art for this adaptation. But still... 6/10.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 27, 2014 1:28 AM

Aug 2013
I was wondering why they all turned into cats, then I remembered the name of the restaurant.
Feb 16, 2016 12:52 AM

Jan 2011
Their faces became like scrap paper. What?

The whole thing felt a bit too on the nose for me.
Oct 16, 2016 3:12 PM

Jul 2010
Lmao, what a waste of time this was even though just 18mins. Unique artstyle was the extent of my enjoyment.
Nov 27, 2017 7:06 PM
Aug 2009
So confused. I saw the movie but at the same time i don't think i did. I think i saw a version but not this 1991 version. The version i saw was mainly a sepia outlook in color but the thumbnail for this is green. Not only that but the house or mansion has completely different outlook.
Sep 12, 2018 3:46 PM

Oct 2015
Who would be the same after that? I mean I don't blame their trauma, I would be scarred for life with that experience. Good thing their dog saved them, how loyal are dogs huh! When those mysterious women appeared I knew everything was beginning, but I'm glad they survived because I didn't want them to die.

Although it was silent and gave the characters no shine, I thought the art was great with that story book feel and the story tried. 7/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 21, 2019 5:59 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting animation.
Jul 16, 2020 12:21 AM

Jun 2015
Visually one of the greatest anime ever made. Reminds me a lot of Keita Kurosaka's work, who's also an incredible filmmaker.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Sep 30, 2020 6:55 AM
Oct 2017
Damn that was pretty good, A man vs nature parallel huh? Very Enjoyable. The arstyle reminded me of old European illustration books lol. Pretty nice overall I think this definantly has some good rewatch value as well. its a 7/10 for me
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 27, 2021 2:56 PM
Jan 2017
meh It was interesting for an anime that had no voice acting, probably the only one like that Ive ever seen w/ some unique interesting art style. and if anyone knows let me know but is the anime Roto-scoped? Because this doooes look like rotosoping to me. this anime provided some good tone but overall it wasnt something I was too into just an interesting anime to watch
Jan 10, 2022 12:06 AM

Oct 2018
Between the three versions, I heard that this was the best one and my god did this not disappoint. While the core theme is very simple, it's brought to animation with the brilliant use of atmosphere and sound design throughout the short which are probably the biggest standouts. Although the reveal at the end wasn't that surprising because of the hints scattered throughout the signs and especially, the paper one of the hunters found inside the drawer, the final scene was done so well with the dance sequences getting wilder and wilder with each passing second and the depiction of fear on the hunters' faces at the end. I'll probably check the other versions sometime later.
8/10
Etherius_ZSJan 10, 2022 3:42 AM
Sep 30, 7:27 AM

Oct 2017
They didn't die, the dogs saved them.
Sep 30, 7:03 PM
Mar 2019
You can bet they won't be hunting there anytime soon.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.