Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
May 5, 12:58 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to ShinoAlter
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter All sources, including Western ones, call this manga romance and yuri https://sevenseasentertainment.com/series/futari-escape/. While platonic yuri works generally do not receive any tags, both due to the focus on "interpretation" and to avoid controversy surrounding readers or limiting the audience due to a misleading tag. Such manga usually do not receive a tag, but are often sold in a themed section to attract the target audience.

YOU MAY NOT KNOW NOTHING, but homoerotic subtext as such and objective implied, but not openly shown attraction are completely different things. I understand that shippers ignore such “unimportant” nuances, but this is a very significant moment.

You like to ignore my points or something?

I do realize it has tags, and that’s the problem. IT’S LITERALLY LYCORIS RECOIL TYPE OF RELATIONSHIP. That is why yuri is such a broad term, and it’s not a yes/no type of situation. Right now it went further than Lycoris with the hinting and will potentially venture on a completely new territory.

Futari Escape that has yuri tags is less gayer than what happened in this episode of YoruKura.
@ShinoAlter You really are incredibly arrogant if you think the only way people can disagree with you is by ignoring you. Licorice has never been labeled as yuri, let alone romance. At the same time, this manga is officially promoted as a lesbian romance. The rest is just your problem, not mine or the author's.

Good for you. But I'm sorry, I won't accept someone else's opinion as dogma, no matter how persistent you are. If you like to fantasize that one kiss on the cheek makes this show the equivalent of lesbian hentai, go ahead. Your business. But I have different standards.
RobertBobertMay 5, 1:02 PM
May 5, 1:00 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to ShinoAlter
RobertBobert said:
So, are you attacking me when I simply ask not to get too carried away with speculation until the next episode makes something concrete, but at the same time demand that other people accept your opinion as a dogma? Do you really not feel the double standards here? This is a rhetorical question.

>attacking

Well someone surely is delicate, if a bit of facts about the genre hurts you so much.
@ShinoAlter Sorry, but when a person literally demands that I accept his opinion as an indisputable dogma just because the existence of a different opinion literally hurts and offends him, I will call it an attack.
May 5, 1:02 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter You really are incredibly arrogant if you think the only way people can disagree with you is by ignoring you. Licorice has never been labeled as yuri, let alone romance. At the same time, this manga is officially promoted as a lesbian romance. The rest is just your problem, not mine or the author's.

Good for you. But I'm sorry, I won't accept someone else's opinion as dogma, no matter how persistent you are. If you like to fantasize that one kiss on the cheek makes this show the equivalent of lesbian hentai, go ahead. Your business. But I have different standards.

Both series ended up with nothing but bait, both series had no yuri couples at the end of the series, both just delivered a bunch of yuri fanservice and undertones to do nothing with them.

One is labeled as yuribait by the anime community, the other is tagged as yuri.

Crazy isn’t it? It’s almost like the line where yuri starts and ends can’t be made that easily.
mlem

Also read Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru (Bless Botan)
May 5, 1:03 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter Sorry, but when a person literally demands that I accept his opinion as an indisputable dogma just because the existence of a different opinion literally hurts and offends him, I will call it an attack.

Skill issue sadly
mlem

May 5, 1:10 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to ShinoAlter
RobertBobert said:

Both series ended up with nothing but bait, both series had no yuri couples at the end of the series, both just delivered a bunch of yuri fanservice and undertones to do nothing with them.

One is labeled as yuribait by the anime community, the other is tagged as yuri.

Crazy isn’t it? It’s almost like the line where yuri starts and ends can’t be made that easily.
@ShinoAlter Again, this is your personal opinion, while authors think differently and promote their works differently. I don't care how the "anime community" defines it. Once again, why should I accept someone else’s opinion if I have my own? Especially when you easily determine the authority of opinions by whether it is beneficial to you or not.

What doesn’t stop you from demanding that I accept your view of the show as an indisputable dogma, reproaching me with the fact that I look at things more skeptically than you. Yes, it's crazy. We wouldn't have to talk about these lines at all if Jellyfish were an actual romance. Not to mention you clumsily try to mix platonic yuri and implied romantic, which really EASILY turns this dialogue into a mess.
May 5, 1:14 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter Again, this is your personal opinion, while authors think differently and promote their works differently. I don't care how the "anime community" defines it. Once again, why should I accept someone else’s opinion if I have my own? Especially when you easily determine the authority of opinions by whether it is beneficial to you or not.

What doesn’t stop you from demanding that I accept your view of the show as an indisputable dogma, reproaching me with the fact that I look at things more skeptically than you. Yes, it's crazy. We wouldn't have to talk about these lines at all if Jellyfish were an actual romance. Not to mention you clumsily try to mix platonic yuri and implied romantic, which really EASILY turns this dialogue into a mess.

Then what is your own opinion on the situation you know nothing of?

I mean it’s not like you know how the genre works right? If you knew you wouldn’t be here in the first place, but you will base your opinion on the absolute basics of the genre without looking further into it, because you’re not here to find the truth, but to preach your own delusions, and stop other people from celebrating a scene that makes them happy.

You’re not here to potentially change your mind, you’re not here to learn something new about the genre all the situation as a whole.

You came here to yap, and base your statement on the sole fact that anything can happen from now on.
mlem

May 5, 1:18 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to ShinoAlter
RobertBobert said:

Then what is your own opinion on the situation you know nothing of?

I mean it’s not like you know how the genre works right? If you knew you wouldn’t be here in the first place, but you will base your opinion on the absolute basics of the genre without looking further into it, because you’re not here to find the truth, but to preach your own delusions, and stop other people from celebrating a scene that makes them happy.

You’re not here to potentially change your mind, you’re not here to learn something new about the genre all the situation as a whole.

You came here to yap, and base your statement on the sole fact that anything can happen from now on.
@ShinoAlter That is, now we have gone from “you disagree with me because you ignore my opinion” to “you disagree with me because you do not understand anything.” End it with an argumentum ad passiones on the level of "being skeptical about it will upset people, so you shouldn't question it anymore." Dude, if you're going to bingo the shitty internet arguments here, then just don't waste my time. Just accept that someone on the internet may not agree with you and touch the grass. I'm not going to sit with you endlessly in this thread because you seem to be critically unable to cope with the fact that someone might have a different point of view on issues that are too personal to you. Goodbye.
May 5, 1:20 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter That is, now we have gone from “you disagree with me because you ignore my opinion” to “you disagree with me because you do not understand anything.” Dude, if you're going to bingo the shitty internet arguments here, then just don't waste my time. Just accept that someone on the internet may not agree with you and touch the grass. I'm not going to sit with you endlessly in this thread because you seem to be critically unable to cope with the fact that someone might have a different point of view on issues that are too personal to you. Goodbye.

Well you seem to be comfortable with talking facts, about mangas you haven’t read.

Because that’s pretty much the only reason to contest my argument about Futari Escape.
mlem

May 5, 1:24 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to ShinoAlter
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter That is, now we have gone from “you disagree with me because you ignore my opinion” to “you disagree with me because you do not understand anything.” Dude, if you're going to bingo the shitty internet arguments here, then just don't waste my time. Just accept that someone on the internet may not agree with you and touch the grass. I'm not going to sit with you endlessly in this thread because you seem to be critically unable to cope with the fact that someone might have a different point of view on issues that are too personal to you. Goodbye.

Well you seem to be comfortable with talking facts, about mangas you haven’t read.

Because that’s pretty much the only reason to contest my argument about Futari Escape.
@ShinoAlter Tell that to the author and Western publisher who publishes it under the yuri and romance tags. Still pointless, but definitely more useful than literally trying to reproach me for not agreeing with your opinion about the manga. That's it, this is my last answer to you. If you can't finish it yourself, then I will.
May 5, 1:27 PM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
@ShinoAlter Tell that to the author and Western publisher who publishes it under the yuri and romance tags. Still pointless, but definitely more useful than literally trying to reproach me for not agreeing with your opinion about the manga. That's it, this is my last answer to you. If you can't finish it yourself, then I will.

You go and tell that lmao.

If that is yuri then YoruKura and Lycoris might as well be.

And go tell that to the author as well, because „A trained yuri reader should be able to see yuri in any relationship”.

As the author of Futari Escape intended.
mlem

May 5, 1:29 PM

Feb 2019
And sure, go and never answer again, cry about how people only talk about shipping and yuri after and episode ending with a fucking kiss, go and keep malding about people enjoying some potential major yuri plot ongoing.

I already outed you as nothing but a yapping arrogant dumbass that has nothing to add to the discussion other than denying arguments and adding nothing in return.
mlem

May 5, 1:45 PM

Jul 2015
I just can't wait to see yuri shippers malding once this show ends with no further development of supposed romance between the girls as it always was on shows like this. Literally Lycoris Recoil situation 2.0. And it's in the same season as Euphonium, which will also make yuri shippers mald. Holy shit, I can't wait!
PieromyslMay 5, 2:01 PM

May 5, 2:10 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Clearly the same free spirit!

It's all I could think of in that moment. We're getting more and more episodes tackling online things these days.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 5, 2:27 PM

Apr 2012
@cyruz This is a clear sign that these things are becoming more and more a part of our lives. In the first half of this year alone, we've already had three arc with significant role of twitter in various animes, lmao.
May 5, 2:52 PM

Jun 2022
honestly as a person who likes to draw, i get mahiru's frustration. im glad shes beginning to have more faith in herself ;')
also the gay??? ewww!!!! get away!!!! (plz more lovey dovey next ep)

May 5, 2:54 PM
ザクシャ イン ラブ

Aug 2016
An episode that focuses on Mahiru's insecurities with her art, relating back to her past where she crosses out her name on her jellyfish mural. In this case, it is the social media comments about her art, as well as Kuroppu's amazing fan art that causes her to have a case of imposter syndrome among her fellow JELEE peers. This internal conflict and insecurity throws Mahiru off, and Kano was able to tell that something was off about her, and is continuously there to reassure Mahiru and cheer her up. This culminates with their promise about the Shibuya Aquarium, which becomes the title of JELEE's next MV, spurred on by Mahiru's new reason/dedication to improving her art.

I'm really happy to see Mahiru turn the negative energy around her insecurities into a strong motivating factor to improve her artwork. The strongest character development scene in this episode for me was when Mahiru goes back to her jellyfish mural, and reclaims ownership of it, this time using her Umitsuki Yoru penname associated with JELEE.

May 5, 3:20 PM

Feb 2019
Piromysl said:
I just can't wait to see yuri shippers malding once this show ends with no further development of supposed romance between the girls as it always was on shows like this. Literally Lycoris Recoil situation 2.0. And it's in the same season as Euphonium, which will also make yuri shippers mald. Holy shit, I can't wait!

That would mean that yuri shippers malded over Lycoris as a whole, which isn’t true.

The only people malding is over naming it yuri, not yuri, or yuri bait. Most people were happy with Lycoris if they didn’t engage in mindless discussions about it.
mlem

May 5, 4:29 PM
Aug 2022
holy shit this is actually getting yuri
May 5, 4:30 PM
Aug 2022
Reply to Serafos
The girls really deserve to be popular after working so hard.

Cute Kano x Mahiru moment btw. <3 That kiss totally surprised me. They were faster than Yori and Himari in Sasayaku You ni Koi wo Utau. Those two have a lot to learn from Kano and Mahiru, lol.

@Serafos I'm still processing the fact that we went from 0% chance of yuri to 65% in a single episode
May 5, 5:00 PM
Mar 2015
Yoru has a crisis of confidence thinking she is not good enough
May 5, 5:39 PM
Mar 2021
RikkaMatsu said:
@Ryushindai I honestly don't think it's bait. It was portrayed way too earnestly for that, is the feeling I get.

If anything, this makes me think the reason Kano had a falling out with her old group is cuz she developed a crush on one of the girls and she reacted badly to it (the other girl).

i agree with this and i actually thought something very similar. I think it would be really interesting to see if the reason why the blonde girl got outcasted from her previous idol group was because of her sexuality, which possibly could of been found out if she developed feelings for one of her group mates. Maybe there was some homophobia, (?) therefore leading to why the blonde girl responded violently (punched the one girl). I would love to see such a mature theme and with the way the show has been portrayed so far, i don’t think this idea is far fetched.
May 5, 6:01 PM

Mar 2008
@Neneaux and you won't be missed.

Great episode. Good to see Yoru will work on her art rather than get lost in insecurities. The bedroom scene, the kiss scene, were both great. Kano invades Yoru's room, puts on her clothes, calls her a special person on live stream, and spontaneously kisses her. I can understand people whining about people talking about yuri, but that's literally what this episode was. Is it going to evolve into a full on relationship, who knows, maybe it'll just end up being bait. I just wanna see where they go with it from here.
May 5, 6:16 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
@uncleqrow It was really good sarcasm until you went to the opposite extreme by saying that one kiss on the cheek without any context means "full yuri route". It would be better to take an example from @sKyBlazer08, who reasonable speaks about his opinion, even if he thinks things are quite obvious. But one way or another, yes, the author still stands by his claim that any yuri in this show is up to interpretation, sorry if I'm ruining your passion.

@thehornedrat I understand what you're want to say, but I was talking about audience reaction, not production team. I will completely understand and accept if Doga Kobo, with all their history, make their anniversary project yuri. The problem is that, as you can see from this thread, any hint of ships instantly makes shipping the only thing people are interested in and discussing (in some cases, even years after the end of the show and the sinking of ships, read on YouTube the discussion of clips from the 8th episode of Hibike). Sure, I prefer platonic stories more than yuri, but I actually wouldn't mind if they made it COMPLETELY open to at least ended controversy and speculation. But unfortunately, regardless of further development or the author's intentions, this will now most likely become the classic "gay or not gay" flame bait this season.
@RobertBobert
Yep, it had kinda coming-of-age iyashikei vibes kinda like Super Cub, coming-of-age goodness. Then the yuri thing, and its all downhill yuri from here on out.

At least Super Cub steers clear of any yuri/yuri-bait pretenses, otherwise its feel good vibes, in associating its Honda SuperCub/bikes product placement messaging would be lost.

Also applies to Journey To The End Of The Universe, the main plot will all be buried too, come to think of it. Recall how yoai almost smothered Lycoris Recoil, glad they put that down with a bang in the climax.

Good way to muddle your tentpole anniversary project for all the ages Doga Kobo, a clear own goal here.
May 5, 6:45 PM
Feb 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
@GGcc78 This is all pure speculation, we can endlessly assume things based not even on indirect evidence, but simply theorizing.

@LegatoC Suki is literally "like". The rest depends on the context. The actual passage you quoted literally speaks about this. For "strong feelings" there is "aishiteru", but the Japanese do not usually use this as melodramatic. I don’t know what the meaning of Kano’s kiss was, but Yoru's words most likely had a platonic context. That's why she was surprised by Kano's reaction, no matter what her intentions were.

Also, I checked episode 4 again, there was nothing about “crush”. She implied that there was a person she was “kinda into,” to which the girls asked “what kind of person.” Which she explained in this episode. This is a comedic misunderstanding, not a love confession. You can also easily see this from her surprised reaction to their answer and the fact that we are not allowed to see the end of the scene.
RobertBobert said:

@LegatoC Suki is literally "like". The rest depends on the context. The actual passage you quoted literally speaks about this. For "strong feelings" there is "aishiteru", but the Japanese do not usually use this as melodramatic. I don’t know what the meaning of Kano’s kiss was, but Yoru's words most likely had a platonic context. That's why she was surprised by Kano's reaction, no matter what her intentions were.

Note that the passage only mentions "something" for the "like" meaning, and "someone" as romantic interest: "Suki translates best to ‘like’, but it’s used in Japan to express that you’re romantically interested in someone. You can also use it to say that you like something, like food, a skirt, anything."

That's also in line with how I know it. I don't think it's common to say to a platonic friend that you "[friend]のことが好き" them, which you can also see by Kano's reaction: She immediately gets flustered and asks if Yoru is drunk.

On the other hand, Yoru didn't seem flustered while saying it, so... yeah, maybe it's not what she meant, and its more of what you call a "comedic misunderstanding".

RobertBobert said:
Which she explained in this episode.

When did that happen?
May 5, 6:45 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to ButtonsIsHere
RikkaMatsu said:
@Ryushindai I honestly don't think it's bait. It was portrayed way too earnestly for that, is the feeling I get.

If anything, this makes me think the reason Kano had a falling out with her old group is cuz she developed a crush on one of the girls and she reacted badly to it (the other girl).

i agree with this and i actually thought something very similar. I think it would be really interesting to see if the reason why the blonde girl got outcasted from her previous idol group was because of her sexuality, which possibly could of been found out if she developed feelings for one of her group mates. Maybe there was some homophobia, (?) therefore leading to why the blonde girl responded violently (punched the one girl). I would love to see such a mature theme and with the way the show has been portrayed so far, i don’t think this idea is far fetched.
@ButtonsIsHere @rikkamatsu

Yeah, I was kind of wondering that too. I wouldn't mind seeing the show go in that direction either. I have enough faith in the direction and writing thus far that I think they could pull that off. That honestly feels like a more interesting direction to take the show than to focus on romance itself. Looking forward to the next episode to see where they are taking us next!
May 5, 7:17 PM

Nov 2023
Yoru is very talented, she just need time to showcase it.

That yuri twist was great didn't expected that to happen.

Overall, very good episode.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
May 5, 7:53 PM

Mar 2018
Unexpected yuri in the end. These sort of shows usually have kinda gay vibes without actually committing to it, so that was pretty exciting.

May 5, 8:29 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to ShinoAlter
RobertBobert said:

You go and tell that lmao.

If that is yuri then YoruKura and Lycoris might as well be.

And go tell that to the author as well, because „A trained yuri reader should be able to see yuri in any relationship”.

As the author of Futari Escape intended.
@ShinoAlter
ShinoAlter said:
A trained yuri reader should be able to see yuri in any relationship

damn!
Based AsF
I should give you a thousand Kudos if I can.
May 5, 11:51 PM

Jul 2022
I'm sure lots of people here to talk about the cheek smooch, and while it was nice, I think its more important that Mahiru learned to embrace her art and fight back on her insecurities through working on being a better artist.

(Image taken from an earlier post in this forum)
May 6, 12:50 AM

Dec 2018
Lol I said after the first episode. This is a Doga Kobo and it wouldn't surprise me if there are some lesbians kissing later in. I mean Doga Kobo are famous for their Yuri after all. And as always I was right Hahahaha 😎😎😎😎😎😎 I bet that kiss made some haters really angry ROFL 😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The lesbian kiss was so cute,,,YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

A fabulous gay episode. IMO best one so far. Doga Kobo delivers on the Yuri 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

May 6, 1:44 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to ShinoAlter
Hormigo said:
@RobertBobert more than 100 comments to talk about this chapter, and the only thing I read are discussions of whether it is Yuri or not in an anime that was supposed to be about music and personal improvement. I have nothing against Yuri, but in an original anime of only 12 episodes you can hardly explore a romance unless you forget the plot of the story and focus on it. Let's not forget that there are four characters here, and if they focus on the relationship Of two of them of The other two characters stay in no man's territory, unless they also make them couples and leave the music aside and this becomes a romance anime hahaha

The only thing this devolved into a yuri discussion, is because one person decided to make it his mission to tell everyone that this isn’t yuri yet, because you can’t be 100% sure.

WE ARE WORKING ON WHAT WE ARE GIVEN RIGHT NOW, and at this point every single sign points at the kiss being far more than just a random ass scene that we will quickly forget about or will not have much of an impact on the anime.
@ShinoAlter I'm just saying that I'm surprised that in a chapter in which the important thing is the protagonist's insecurities and how she overcomes them, people have been left with a simple kiss at the end of the chapter without resolution. Although seeing the commotion on social networks, I think it hasn't turned out badly for them. I conclude: I don't have any problem with Yuri, and if in the next chapters a relationship develops between the two, the only problem I would have is that it would leave aside the main plot, which is what interests me the most, see as a cartoonist, a former idol, a v-tuber and a musician they grow as a group, as people, and listening to their music. the future will say
May 6, 3:40 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to LegatoC
RobertBobert said:

Note that the passage only mentions "something" for the "like" meaning, and "someone" as romantic interest: "Suki translates best to ‘like’, but it’s used in Japan to express that you’re romantically interested in someone. You can also use it to say that you like something, like food, a skirt, anything."

That's also in line with how I know it. I don't think it's common to say to a platonic friend that you "[friend]のことが好き" them, which you can also see by Kano's reaction: She immediately gets flustered and asks if Yoru is drunk.

On the other hand, Yoru didn't seem flustered while saying it, so... yeah, maybe it's not what she meant, and its more of what you call a "comedic misunderstanding".

RobertBobert said:
Which she explained in this episode.

When did that happen?
@LegatoC You are digging too deep when her words were quite simple. She almost directly said that she liked Kano because she did a lot of good things for her. Which she hinted at back in the last episode when the girls misunderstood her and thought she had a love interest. That POSSIBLY Kano somehow misunderstood. At this point, I'm more than sure that this was the logic of the episode. While the main intrigue is precisely Kano’s intentions and how alcohol influenced this.

You just fall into the typical trap of people with little anime experience thinking that like literally means “love” or that these are incredibly strong words, although even in real life you can easily tell your friends that you love them at important moments. Hell, there's even a common term in English called "loved ones".

@razisgosu People "whine" precisely because the short scene at the end of the episode is declared to be the point and the only interesting moment of the entire episode. This is precisely the problem, not the yuri potential itself. As you can see, many of the “critics” themselves would not be against yuri if it were open.

@k_kindawatchAnim It never had a 0% chance. The author said from the very beginning that it depended on the viewer, which made it 50% to 50%

@thehornedrat Hah, it's too early to rejoice. Shippers have already tried to take Super Cab into yuri territory, trying to convince themselves that when a girl walks around naked in another girl's house, it automatically means they had sex, lmao.

@Hormigo Because that's what people actually care about the most. The rest is either REALLY not that important, or was simply used to give some meaning to the interest in the ships. In general, what was suddenly revealed when the second season of Hibike began to sink ships. But then again, like you, I don’t mind if it’s yuri. It just annoys me when people either jump to conclusions without even trying to wait, or stubbornly fetishize this part of anime, ignoring everything else, as was the case with Yuri on ICE. Just read the comments on the film's cancellation. Almost no one even remembers that this is an excellent show about figure skating, everyone only talks about how loud it is BL.
RobertBobertMay 6, 3:49 AM
May 6, 4:52 AM

Sep 2010
Reply to Marinate1016
The way these girls save me every week.. jaw on the floor, best episode of the season, from any anime. I’m so moved. Wrap it up, this is AOTS. So much to go over in this one

Ok for starters, them uploading the wrong video and still going viral is hilarious 😭 luckily it gave them a lot of attention and still helped build up their brand.

But what made this episode so special for me was Yoru dealing with her insecurities about her art. As a content creator I really empathise with her getting upset about other people drawing her art and going viral.

Even though it should’ve been something that was flattering, it just makes you feel like “what am I doing wrong, why am I not getting that attention”. Combine that with the rude comments some people put on her posts and her general insecurities with her friends’ accomplishments and it’s no wonder she went into a depressive state.

Even with Kano telling her she loved her art, it wasn’t enough because she was constantly comparing it to everyone else’s.. The scene of Kano pulling Yoru’s face into her stomach, they were teasing us hard😩

The biggest thing is how she didn’t just give up, but used that as fuel and actually improved her art significantly by the end. You can either quit or just work on improving yourself, ultimately the only validation that’ll work is from within.

After all their hard work, a shrine visit to ring in the new year and pray for success in the upcoming year... but WHAT THE FUCK, a KISS??!? “Yuri bait” copers are seething rn. They laid crumbs throughout the episode like Yoru and Kano in Yoru’s room, the train, “I like your singing and you” but I didn’t expect a proper kiss out of nowhere like that. Please don’t walk this back next episode because I need this 😭
Marinate1016 said:
But what made this episode so special for me was Yoru dealing with her insecurities about her art. As a content creator I really empathise with her getting upset about other people drawing her art and going viral.

Even though it should’ve been something that was flattering, it just makes you feel like “what am I doing wrong, why am I not getting that attention”. Combine that with the rude comments some people put on her posts and her general insecurities with her friends’ accomplishments and it’s no wonder she went into a depressive state.

Even with Kano telling her she loved her art, it wasn’t enough because she was constantly comparing it to everyone else’s.. The scene of Kano pulling Yoru’s face into her stomach, they were teasing us hard😩

The biggest thing is how she didn’t just give up, but used that as fuel and actually improved her art significantly by the end. You can either quit or just work on improving yourself, ultimately the only validation that’ll work is from within.
Not a content creator myself, but I've heard that they can start seeing the metrics as a measure of their worth as a person. Seems like a damaging headspace to get sucked into.

Yoru trying harder at the end to draw a better picture reminds me a little of Gojou pushing harder to make Marin's first cosplay in Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru. (Gojou was exerting himself a lot more there though.) I wasn't sure if that was the best mental state to draw in, but it's nice to see it turn out well for her.

Probably just a coincidence, but I think I've heard "jelee" used as slang for "jealous". Is that what Yoru feels towards the artist producing better drawings of her character? Or what Kano feels for her old idol unit getting back together without her?
May 6, 4:56 AM

Jan 2024
That kiss scene smelled like yuri.Wonder how that's gonna go...

It's okay if you forget me.

May 6, 5:04 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Takata
Marinate1016 said:

Not a content creator myself, but I've heard that they can start seeing the metrics as a measure of their worth as a person. Seems like a damaging headspace to get sucked into.

Yoru trying harder at the end to draw a better picture reminds me a little of Gojou pushing harder to make Marin's first cosplay in Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru. (Gojou was exerting himself a lot more there though.) I wasn't sure if that was the best mental state to draw in, but it's nice to see it turn out well for her.

Probably just a coincidence, but I think I've heard "jelee" used as slang for "jealous". Is that what Yoru feels towards the artist producing better drawings of her character? Or what Kano feels for her old idol unit getting back together without her?
@Takata Not just them, everyone. This is one of the main problems of the likes system, people are starting to measure everything by this. Starting with a bunch of immature children and haters who will destroy your rating in an attempt to devalue your opinion and ending with people who literally count the likes of every post in the hope of assessing feedback and the value of their opinion. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the theme of jealousy is generally quite important in this show.

P.S. I've long been accustomed to people judging any moment of friendship as "teasing", but literally judging an episode or show as a masterpiece just because of a (potential) yuri, even a very short one, is still beyond me.
May 6, 5:12 AM
Mar 2019
Yoru's insecurities finally come out into the light, but rather than feel depressed she decides to be proactive, and get better with her art. With these jellyfish around her, she will continue to grow in confidence. Her low self-esteem is not cringy, but understandable. I love that she decides to take action to improve on her confidence. This is one anime I watch to feel light-hearted. :)
May 6, 5:30 AM
Feb 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
@LegatoC You are digging too deep when her words were quite simple. She almost directly said that she liked Kano because she did a lot of good things for her. Which she hinted at back in the last episode when the girls misunderstood her and thought she had a love interest. That POSSIBLY Kano somehow misunderstood. At this point, I'm more than sure that this was the logic of the episode. While the main intrigue is precisely Kano’s intentions and how alcohol influenced this.

You just fall into the typical trap of people with little anime experience thinking that like literally means “love” or that these are incredibly strong words, although even in real life you can easily tell your friends that you love them at important moments. Hell, there's even a common term in English called "loved ones".

@razisgosu People "whine" precisely because the short scene at the end of the episode is declared to be the point and the only interesting moment of the entire episode. This is precisely the problem, not the yuri potential itself. As you can see, many of the “critics” themselves would not be against yuri if it were open.

@k_kindawatchAnim It never had a 0% chance. The author said from the very beginning that it depended on the viewer, which made it 50% to 50%

@thehornedrat Hah, it's too early to rejoice. Shippers have already tried to take Super Cab into yuri territory, trying to convince themselves that when a girl walks around naked in another girl's house, it automatically means they had sex, lmao.

@Hormigo Because that's what people actually care about the most. The rest is either REALLY not that important, or was simply used to give some meaning to the interest in the ships. In general, what was suddenly revealed when the second season of Hibike began to sink ships. But then again, like you, I don’t mind if it’s yuri. It just annoys me when people either jump to conclusions without even trying to wait, or stubbornly fetishize this part of anime, ignoring everything else, as was the case with Yuri on ICE. Just read the comments on the film's cancellation. Almost no one even remembers that this is an excellent show about figure skating, everyone only talks about how loud it is BL.
RobertBobert said:

I've been watching anime for decades. And you're talking about English, a culture in which telling people you like (or love) them is much, much more common.
May 6, 5:39 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to LegatoC
RobertBobert said:

I've been watching anime for decades. And you're talking about English, a culture in which telling people you like (or love) them is much, much more common.
@LegatoC However, you are making some pretty big mistakes for a seasoned anime fan, as people in the anime fandom learn pretty quickly that suki is not synonymous with love after the first 2-3 shipping controversies. Some shows even explore this directly, showing the difference between romantic suki and platonic ones.

Considering how often English-speaking people interpret suki and daisuki out of context as a strict "I love you" in a romantic sense, completely ignoring any platonic meaning these words might involve, I very often doubt this. I think many people still remember how yuri shippers literally forced the translators to change the translation after daisuki in one CGDCT was translated in context as “I adore you”.

But returning to our topic, although anime often exaggerates certain realities of Japanese life, suki still primarily means “like” and is used in a platonic sense as well as a romantic one. Again, it all depends on the context. Which in THIS case was most likely platonic and was probably misunderstood by other characters in the plot. Either way, most of these arguments will be and remain arguments for the sake of arguments until Episode 6 brings more clarity to that.
May 6, 5:59 AM
Jun 2023
It has a good story
May 6, 7:38 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to RobertBobert

@RobertBobert It's almost as if yuri undertones, kiss, wearing the other girls clothes, talking about a special person, etc, ended up being probably about 50% of the episode. I Wonder why that's what most people are discussing this episode. The other 50% of the episode involved view counts going up and Yoru's insecurities, which is also being widely discussed.
May 6, 8:07 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to razisgosu
@RobertBobert It's almost as if yuri undertones, kiss, wearing the other girls clothes, talking about a special person, etc, ended up being probably about 50% of the episode. I Wonder why that's what most people are discussing this episode. The other 50% of the episode involved view counts going up and Yoru's insecurities, which is also being widely discussed.
@razisgosu Yes, that’s why 90% of all comments hyperfocus on the kiss or the kissing scene, and even many who originally ship them, wrote that they didn’t expect it. Not to mention the whole story of anime suddenly starts trending after this. Even putting aside how you try to explain it with interpretations or things that made sense in context ("undertones", yeah), it's pretty clear that the kiss was what set this thread on fire. I highly doubt there would have been any plot events in this episode outside of the kiss that would have caused the comments to double or triple, lol.
May 6, 8:39 AM
Nov 2022
What a good anime, I really like how the girls' interactions don't feel forced, which leads me to ask, is yuri coming between Yoru and Kano? ._.
May 6, 8:42 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to LuisSV23
What a good anime, I really like how the girls' interactions don't feel forced, which leads me to ask, is yuri coming between Yoru and Kano? ._.
@LuisSV23 There was some general potential before this episode, taking into account the author’s words. But after that I think the chance is pretty high one way or another. The main thing is not to rush into conclusions at least until the release of the 6th episode so as not to get too high expectations or get into an argument like me, lol.
May 6, 8:44 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to RobertBobert
@razisgosu Yes, that’s why 90% of all comments hyperfocus on the kiss or the kissing scene, and even many who originally ship them, wrote that they didn’t expect it. Not to mention the whole story of anime suddenly starts trending after this. Even putting aside how you try to explain it with interpretations or things that made sense in context ("undertones", yeah), it's pretty clear that the kiss was what set this thread on fire. I highly doubt there would have been any plot events in this episode outside of the kiss that would have caused the comments to double or triple, lol.
@RobertBobert To be fair, the comment section has hit the triple digits because you've been replying to almost everyone being excited about the kiss and other events and trying to undermine their excitement, being all reel it in boys. This comment section is literally 25% you alone. I get it, you don't agree with what everyone else is seeing.
May 6, 8:53 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to razisgosu
@RobertBobert To be fair, the comment section has hit the triple digits because you've been replying to almost everyone being excited about the kiss and other events and trying to undermine their excitement, being all reel it in boys. This comment section is literally 25% you alone. I get it, you don't agree with what everyone else is seeing.
@razisgosu If I were to respond to every enthusiastic yuri shipper here, the number of pages in this thread would already exceed ten figures. Not to mention, any discussion is also not limited to general reviews of the episode, but also includes various threads of dialogue (especially with that guy, who literally insulting and demanding from me accepting his position). This is a discussion, not a bare comment thread after all. I understand that I can be intrusive or overly active on the forum, but you should not try to shift the whole responsibility to me for this.

Anyway, I understand that you're replying to me because I replied to you first (although the use of the word "whining" was pretty bait-ish to be honest), but if you plan to continue the discussing discussion on the next round, the thread is really will become even greater for clearly the wrong reason.
RobertBobertMay 6, 9:36 AM
May 6, 10:26 AM
Aug 2023
yuri!!! yuri on ice 😱
May 6, 11:11 AM
Aug 2022
What a great episode!
Let's put aside the yuri stuff
This episode reminds us that sometimes we need to meet someone much better than us, then learn our weaknesses and accept it as we're not good enough so that we can grow and overcome it
See, the limit is the sky, keep moving, keep growing guys
Don't ever stop learning~
May 6, 11:22 AM

Feb 2019
Takata said:
Marinate1016 said:

I’m actually going thru that rn(viewing metrics as a measure of self worth) it sucks lmao. You gotta remind yourself that it’s a process
May 6, 2:12 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to YuukiTheFlash
An episode that focuses on Mahiru's insecurities with her art, relating back to her past where she crosses out her name on her jellyfish mural. In this case, it is the social media comments about her art, as well as Kuroppu's amazing fan art that causes her to have a case of imposter syndrome among her fellow JELEE peers. This internal conflict and insecurity throws Mahiru off, and Kano was able to tell that something was off about her, and is continuously there to reassure Mahiru and cheer her up. This culminates with their promise about the Shibuya Aquarium, which becomes the title of JELEE's next MV, spurred on by Mahiru's new reason/dedication to improving her art.

I'm really happy to see Mahiru turn the negative energy around her insecurities into a strong motivating factor to improve her artwork. The strongest character development scene in this episode for me was when Mahiru goes back to her jellyfish mural, and reclaims ownership of it, this time using her Umitsuki Yoru penname associated with JELEE.

@YuukiTheFlash
thx for +75 contribute yuukitheflash
yuri show up , number 1 show
UwUKingPikachuMay 6, 3:13 PM
May 6, 7:55 PM
Mar 2017
I was honestly surprised with the Yuri hint loll! Even with the kiss I was like maybe it’s a teasing thing since they’re so close too, but Kano’s reaction is what had me shook that it could very well be Yuri. There honestly didn’t need to be all the other fan service but the cheek kiss was adorable
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.