Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 13, 7:16 PM

May 2015
This easily could be the best new show this season, I'd not for the 3dcg
Apr 13, 7:21 PM

Feb 2017
It is the best series of the season even despite the 3dcg imo. The 3d doesn't even look too bad to me, a bit wonky in some areas but the faces got a decent amount of expression to them. And I like that it doesn't go super over the top with the camera movements like some other 3d anime.
JKKHApr 13, 7:24 PM
Apr 13, 7:26 PM

May 2015
Reply to JKKH
It is the best series of the season even despite the 3dcg imo. The 3d doesn't even look too bad to me, a bit wonky in some areas but the faces got a decent amount of expression to them. And I like that it doesn't go super over the top with the camera movements like some other 3d anime.
@JKKH it's so good but the visuals are so bad, it just kills me
Apr 13, 7:26 PM

May 2015
Reply to JKKH
Apr 13, 7:33 PM

Feb 2017
Reply to billybub
@billybub I dunno if you compare it to mediocre 2d animation I think it comes out on top. I think it's better that having a slideshow anime with characters being mostly static with just lip movement. Though I used to watch Rwby so maybe that show's wonkiness completely desensitized me to 3d anime lmao. This show's at least on the higher end of how good 3d tv anime tends to look.
Apr 13, 7:45 PM

May 2015
Reply to JKKH
@billybub I dunno if you compare it to mediocre 2d animation I think it comes out on top. I think it's better that having a slideshow anime with characters being mostly static with just lip movement. Though I used to watch Rwby so maybe that show's wonkiness completely desensitized me to 3d anime lmao. This show's at least on the higher end of how good 3d tv anime tends to look.
@JKKH this is easily the most torn I've been with a show in a while. Story wise this is 10/10, acting the same. Had the 3dcg been done by Polygon, probably 8/10. I love this, but, man it just seems like the 3d was a huge mistake
Apr 13, 11:48 PM

May 2021
I know we already had a similar conversation in the other thread but I still wanted to press this a little further. I totally understand not liking the animation, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I originally didn't even intend on watching this anime, but after the first episode last week I was willing to give it a try. Glad I did too, the story and music are phenomenal.
JKKH said:
It is the best series of the season even despite the 3dcg imo.
I'm inclined to agree with you here. I'm watching a lot of other seasonal anime this spring (some I've been waiting years for) but somehow someway this anime is becoming my most anticipated.
billybub said:
this is easily the most torn I've been with a show in a while. Story wise this is 10/10, acting the same. Had the 3dcg been done by Polygon, probably 8/10. I love this, but, man it just seems like the 3d was a huge mistake
I want to preface this take that I'm about to have with the fact that I've seen a very limited amount of 3DCG anime. (Also it's completely subjective so if you disagree that is completely fine)

The first example I want to give of the animation being pretty cool was the 1st person pov that Nina had in the 2nd episode when she's in the apartment with Momoka. I thought that scene was cool and different. The other example I wanted to give was the ending of the first episode where Nina is singing in the rain, another scene where the backdrop and effects over the characters looked excellent. If I had to give deductions it'd be when they're trying to depict the characters running. The movement seems a bit too sped up.

Not saying that these are reasons why you're wrong and the animation is superior, but at least some high points that I was able to pick up while watching. If you are into the show and like the direction of the story and characters then I hope that's enough for you to keep watching. If the animation does affect your viewing experience to the extent of dropping the show then I'm really sad to hear that. I hope the studio can find a middleground, a lot of the promotional / music videos had some excellent 2D animation.
Apr 14, 3:09 AM

Sep 2013
I think this series is doing well for a 3dcg and I am really enjoying it so far.To me I've been avoiding all the 3dcg anime for many years as I thought japanese 3d animation technology were pretty low quality. It looked like they were forcing themselves to make 2d to work as 3d, which it was hard for me to immerse myself into the story before. Now i think the technology have somewhat progressed as more studios are challenging themselves to popularize the new approach. To me this anime gave me a impression that they have found a fomula/perfect balance for a 3dcg anime to work and gain attention of the original anime audience. However,from the looks of the OP/ED I think making this anime 2D would've made the anime so much more popular which I think is unfortunate.

Apr 14, 3:12 AM

Jun 2020
I am very turned off by the 3dcg but still willing to give it a try, can anyone say if its near the quality of Studio Orange's Beastars or Houseki no Kuni?
DumbApr 14, 3:15 AM
Apr 14, 3:15 AM
Jun 2023
Man y'all just hating on it cuz it's cgi
Apr 14, 8:33 AM
Mar 2018
braindead takes. the cg is good, you guys just regurgitate what everyone says about cg
Apr 14, 11:11 AM
Aug 2020
I am typically very bias against 3d, and was initially disapointed when I realised this show would be 3d, but atleast in the first episode, Ive been blown away, its super dynamic, the expressions are super strong, and it makes use of many visuals like angles, lighting and composition that wouldnt be present in the average 2d anime. its not perfect, the singing in particular looked kinda janky, the song was synced correctly at all...
I was against it at first, now im here for it, looks great for the most part
Apr 14, 11:20 AM

Feb 2017
Reply to Dumb
I am very turned off by the 3dcg but still willing to give it a try, can anyone say if its near the quality of Studio Orange's Beastars or Houseki no Kuni?
@Dumb imo it is around the same level, here's a couple twitter posts I found with short gifs/clips from it to give you a bit of an idea of how it looks https://twitter.com/Mystic_Stirling/status/1777742835137339423/photo/2
https://twitter.com/AureliaSpectral/status/1776428849015763077
I'm someone who doesn't really like the look of the Beastars anime but I find this show's appearance doesn't bug me at all.
Apr 14, 12:05 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Counter argument, the show would be lower if it wasn't for the CG.

People see remotely good CG work and reward it.
Apr 14, 4:34 PM

Apr 2023
Bang Dream! Its MyGO!!!!! taught me last year that a 3DCG anime can be very good when you put a great story to it. The same applies here. And I will admit the 3DCGI here is a bit better though I believe the series composition in MyGO!!!!! goes their way.
Apr 14, 5:19 PM
Jul 2016
Reply to Smudy
Counter argument, the show would be lower if it wasn't for the CG.

People see remotely good CG work and reward it.
@Smudy True for me. The cg is so good it made me watch. It was a great first impression and then the characters got me hooked.
Apr 14, 7:57 PM

Nov 2013
Its super fucking jarring. Like...Bocchi levels but worse.
Apr 14, 8:09 PM

Apr 2020
The CGI isn't even bad, people are just overreacting to that solely because it's CGI.

That said, the characters and story haven't really grabbed me so far and the music is alright at best.
But hey, we are only 2 chapters without the whole band nor the characters completely established yet.

Let's see how the rest of the season goes.
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah. The only chance I'll watch this is if it ends up pretty high rated, otherwise I avoid CGI whenever I can.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 15, 2:22 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to JKKH
@Dumb imo it is around the same level, here's a couple twitter posts I found with short gifs/clips from it to give you a bit of an idea of how it looks https://twitter.com/Mystic_Stirling/status/1777742835137339423/photo/2
https://twitter.com/AureliaSpectral/status/1776428849015763077
I'm someone who doesn't really like the look of the Beastars anime but I find this show's appearance doesn't bug me at all.
@JKKH Thanks for showing me, Ill give it a shot. I like how expressive the characters are and they actually dont stick out from the environment as much as I thought they would
Apr 15, 5:24 AM
Apr 2022
Reddit threads will get buried, but MAL threads are better for people to put long term opinions because they are much easier to find.

Overall decent 3DCG...background 3D characters animated awkwardly though.
Makes good use of the increase frame per second of 60...you see this done fabulously in the 2nd episode, with the lamp swinging.

I just looked at Nijiyon and even that uses CG, but more conventionally down to 24fps.

I agree with the previous sentiment and had said this in a previous thread as well, the OP was done in 3D into 2D, and it looks very good too. Better if Toei went this route.

Sanzigen's MyGo still tops 3DCG, as does Orange...I must also give a special mention to Paradox Live...awesome 3DCGI performances, and 3D to 2D for the story bits. Orange's 3DCGI Beastars later this year is going to blow everything out of the water.

As the quality and the people doing 3D CGI animations get more experience, correspondingly more and more people will appreciate and like and even prefer 3DCGI.

The future is here. No stopping this train. Get aboard or be left behind.
thehornedratApr 15, 5:30 AM
Apr 15, 8:05 PM
Jan 2020
dhfnzdn13 said:
Man y'all just hating on it cuz it's cgi

1000% this. Probably hated MyGo as well just cause "ewww cg"
Apr 17, 4:49 PM
Sep 2013
I actually thought it looked fairly good. It's not Studio Orange levels of good CG, but it's not bad at all.
Apr 18, 8:54 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to billybub
@billybub The problem with criticizing CGI is that most of the people who do it, like you are also, provides no meaningful baseline for what they expect "good" CGI is. From a technical standpoint, Land of the Lustrous, does not look a lot better but it's 8.4 so that demonstrates that CGI is not inherently bad even if it's not Pixar level.

So if you're complaining about CGI, give something more meaningful than "but CG" because otherwise the opinion is useless and vacuous.
Apr 18, 8:58 PM
Jul 2023
@animegamer245 I think it's on the same level going by your example video. I havent watched D4DJ so your video is my only reference point
Apr 18, 9:04 PM

May 2015
@sodrainz I specifically stated had this been animated by Polygon I'd probably find the cg less jarring. You do know who Polygon are right?
Apr 18, 9:09 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to billybub
@sodrainz I specifically stated had this been animated by Polygon I'd probably find the cg less jarring. You do know who Polygon are right?
@billybub Which isn't a meaningful statement since Polygon gave us the 5.6 rated Fist of the Blue Sky
Apr 18, 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to sodrainz
@billybub The problem with criticizing CGI is that most of the people who do it, like you are also, provides no meaningful baseline for what they expect "good" CGI is. From a technical standpoint, Land of the Lustrous, does not look a lot better but it's 8.4 so that demonstrates that CGI is not inherently bad even if it's not Pixar level.

So if you're complaining about CGI, give something more meaningful than "but CG" because otherwise the opinion is useless and vacuous.
@sodrainz Land of the Lustrous feels much more like a hybrid compared to this, not that I have any comment on the quality of it.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 18, 9:41 PM

May 2015
Reply to sodrainz
@billybub Which isn't a meaningful statement since Polygon gave us the 5.6 rated Fist of the Blue Sky
@sodrainz so you didn't know who Polygon were, looked them up real quick and cherry picked a low rated show in order to prove what? That a company that literally does nothing but make 3d animation occasionally makes something terrible. Wow you sure got me.

Since your so big on ratings if you bothered to look through my list you'd see I've rated Land of the Lustrous, Ajin, Knights of Sidonia and numerous other CG shows pretty high.
Apr 18, 10:48 PM

Jun 2019
CGI is not as bad and laggyy as Bang Dream and trash CGI MAPPA releases so this is automatically tolerable.
Apr 18, 11:14 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to billybub
@sodrainz so you didn't know who Polygon were, looked them up real quick and cherry picked a low rated show in order to prove what? That a company that literally does nothing but make 3d animation occasionally makes something terrible. Wow you sure got me.

Since your so big on ratings if you bothered to look through my list you'd see I've rated Land of the Lustrous, Ajin, Knights of Sidonia and numerous other CG shows pretty high.
@billybub That's because you refuse to give us a baseline. Their most recent works back like 3 years are all rated under 7. Ajin and Sidonia are both 2015 or earlier. So your baseline for good is a random D tier company that makes one passable release every 9 years? And even if you considered it passable, you gave no qualities that makes it passable.

My "cherrypicked" example was more recent than the works that you consider "good" by them and seems in line with all their recent work. Based on that fact, if it had been animated by Polygon, it'd be bad.
Apr 18, 11:40 PM

Mar 2008
I dont have an issue with it. I actually think it looks pretty good.
Apr 19, 4:36 AM

May 2015
Reply to sodrainz
@billybub That's because you refuse to give us a baseline. Their most recent works back like 3 years are all rated under 7. Ajin and Sidonia are both 2015 or earlier. So your baseline for good is a random D tier company that makes one passable release every 9 years? And even if you considered it passable, you gave no qualities that makes it passable.

My "cherrypicked" example was more recent than the works that you consider "good" by them and seems in line with all their recent work. Based on that fact, if it had been animated by Polygon, it'd be bad.
@sodrainz are you just dense? First off ratings mean nothing, second even if they did more goes into a score than just the animation.

Polygon is widely recognized as the top cg studio, The reason most of there shows have a mediocre rating on here is because MOST PEOPLE HATE 3dCG. Calling them some "random D tier company" tells me you A) a troll or B) a tourist. And judging by your list its the later.
Apr 19, 7:41 AM
Apr 2024
IMHO

it's disappointing, but it's not bad

it's obvious that it would have been so much better visually if it wasnt cgi. we've had many similar shows that did well

compared to high speed etoile which is just complete garbage, this is bearable as the cgi isn't horrible
Apr 19, 7:46 AM

May 2015
Reply to Tidiii
IMHO

it's disappointing, but it's not bad

it's obvious that it would have been so much better visually if it wasnt cgi. we've had many similar shows that did well

compared to high speed etoile which is just complete garbage, this is bearable as the cgi isn't horrible
@Tidiii exactly, it's a great show. But I think it would have a much wider appeal and could be that much better had they not gone the cg route
Apr 19, 8:32 AM
Jul 2023
Reply to billybub
@sodrainz are you just dense? First off ratings mean nothing, second even if they did more goes into a score than just the animation.

Polygon is widely recognized as the top cg studio, The reason most of there shows have a mediocre rating on here is because MOST PEOPLE HATE 3dCG. Calling them some "random D tier company" tells me you A) a troll or B) a tourist. And judging by your list its the later.
@billybub You're still dodging the base question to cry about ratings. You haven't listed a single basic quality that makes, in your opinion, something by Polygon "good" CG as opposed to "bad".

They're so good at CG the last time they did anything worthy of praise was 9 years ago and all the people who worked on those are no longer with the company.

They're D tier.

And if your logic is that Polygon's ratings are low just because people hate CG, then this show is 8+ by that same logic with CG haters just rating it low. That still makes it better rated than anything Polygon has ever made including Ajin and Sidonia.
Apr 19, 9:00 AM

May 2015
Reply to sodrainz
@billybub You're still dodging the base question to cry about ratings. You haven't listed a single basic quality that makes, in your opinion, something by Polygon "good" CG as opposed to "bad".

They're so good at CG the last time they did anything worthy of praise was 9 years ago and all the people who worked on those are no longer with the company.

They're D tier.

And if your logic is that Polygon's ratings are low just because people hate CG, then this show is 8+ by that same logic with CG haters just rating it low. That still makes it better rated than anything Polygon has ever made including Ajin and Sidonia.
@sodrainz with evey post you just prove how utterly clueless you are, and I'll leave it at that
Apr 19, 12:46 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to billybub
@sodrainz with evey post you just prove how utterly clueless you are, and I'll leave it at that
@billybub Still can't answer the question. u mad? You can't even name one aspect or feature of CG that would define it as good and cry that i'm clueless. lol a potato would win in a debate against you
Apr 19, 1:44 PM
Aug 2021
fr although it's still fine but the animation kinda gets distracting in some places. 8/10 just for that reason otherwise it'd be 10/10.
Apr 19, 3:40 PM

Nov 2013
Haven't seen the Land of the Lustrous or new Trigan yet so I can't compare, but I'm still loving CG in this show! Yeah, it may feel odd if you're used to "ordinary" animation, but I find some unusual charm in this one. That's what happens when you make a good story with good characters; you may fall in love with unusual animation too. Character emotions especially are IMO more fluid and "alive" than your average anime. Well, it all depends on your personal taste, as always - whether you enjoy this or not. I for instance am not going to drop score (eventually) simply because it uses CG. I just don't see how it's a con, at least for now (after seeing 3 episodes).

To be honest, I even enjoy this show slightly more than somewhat similar show this season, called: Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai; which I also love and can see just how good the animation it has, BUT, still, if one were to ask which one you like more (as of now at least), I'd say "Girls band cry".
Apr 19, 4:14 PM

May 2015
Reply to Sigmar-Unberogen
Haven't seen the Land of the Lustrous or new Trigan yet so I can't compare, but I'm still loving CG in this show! Yeah, it may feel odd if you're used to "ordinary" animation, but I find some unusual charm in this one. That's what happens when you make a good story with good characters; you may fall in love with unusual animation too. Character emotions especially are IMO more fluid and "alive" than your average anime. Well, it all depends on your personal taste, as always - whether you enjoy this or not. I for instance am not going to drop score (eventually) simply because it uses CG. I just don't see how it's a con, at least for now (after seeing 3 episodes).

To be honest, I even enjoy this show slightly more than somewhat similar show this season, called: Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai; which I also love and can see just how good the animation it has, BUT, still, if one were to ask which one you like more (as of now at least), I'd say "Girls band cry".
@Sigmar-Unberogen you make some valid points, but I'd have to give Kurage wa Oyogenai the edge solely on the art.

And I think I've figured out why, it's the background art. I can deal with the cg main characters, but not having that beautiful background art just takes away from my enjoyment. Maybe it's because I'm a huge KyoAni/PA Works/Science Saru fan and I'm just spoiled, but if I had to put a finger on it that's why.
Apr 20, 1:19 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to billybub
@Sigmar-Unberogen you make some valid points, but I'd have to give Kurage wa Oyogenai the edge solely on the art.

And I think I've figured out why, it's the background art. I can deal with the cg main characters, but not having that beautiful background art just takes away from my enjoyment. Maybe it's because I'm a huge KyoAni/PA Works/Science Saru fan and I'm just spoiled, but if I had to put a finger on it that's why.
@billybub So to sum up your argument for what makes CG good is to not have CG (background art), be only made by Polygon, and other people have to know the studio.

k
Apr 20, 10:25 PM

Oct 2012
I feel like I'm the only person who actually enjoys this because of the CG. It's way cleaner and more fluid than any other 3DCG anime I've seen (Arpeggio, Kotobuki Squadron, Houseki no Kuni - all of which I didn't mind). It allows for the characters to be very expressive in a unique way from 2D.

I also find it incorporates the 2D animation quite well without being particularly jarring.
Apr 20, 11:42 PM

Oct 2019
The show looks better than most other anime out there considering how many seasonals have terrible animation.

Its no orange or the first slam dunk, but honestly, I would give the visuals a solid 6 or 7/10.

about the same as what i would give to most of my hero academia, or jojo part 6.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 21, 12:37 AM
Apr 2020
Ex-Arm was a masterpiece animation comparing to this trash 1/10
Apr 21, 2:16 AM

Jun 2022
you will get used to band girl anime getting the 3dcg treatment
you will get used to idol gacha anime getting the 3dcg treatment
you will get used to low budget girls doing sports anime getting the 3dcg treatment does anyone actually care for these lol?
either go back to manga adaptations of comfy sol anime or quit the above genres forever
cunnyliciousApr 21, 2:20 AM
Apr 21, 2:45 AM

Apr 2012
Such shows usually get a CGI adaptation because it makes it easier to animate the music and dance content. If you don't like it that much, then maybe modern idol/music shows just aren't your thing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jun 28

160 by Tacsk0 »»
Oct 18, 6:26 AM

» What you guys think about the main characters?

negatives - May 3

30 by Railey2 »»
Oct 6, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - May 24

112 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 19, 6:03 PM

» GBC to receive smartphone game adaptation.

Tacsk0 - Aug 31

9 by akatsukinoluna »»
Sep 19, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 10

42 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 18, 6:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.