Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 11, 2023 4:26 PM

Dec 2013
A bit of a depressing ending to an okay show. The pacing felt all over the place in the second half. The revenge plot has me curious enough to check out the LNs.
Nov 12, 2023 9:45 AM
Dec 2021
dislikes this one
Nov 23, 2023 4:20 PM
Sep 2016
It was a good anime, just a bit all over the place.
Nov 26, 2023 7:16 PM

Dec 2020
I enjoyed it but they showed us an exciting what looked like was gonna be an exciting revenge story and then it just went astray when it came to the story they showed us the last part it just feels like a: Heyy :)) if you want more :)) you can buy the source material :)). I just feel if they were gonna include the revenge story part I felt like it would've at least hit more in the end.

Not to say this was bad but I enjoy any anime unless it makes me want to scratch my eyes out in cringe and disgust or it just leaves me bored while watching it but im glad to say i did not feel it here and I'm glad i watched this and hope for another season.
Dec 15, 2023 11:50 PM

Jan 2019
the main character has a goal to kill 7 people, and in all 15 episodes he defeated only one from the list… for the sake of decency, he could at least cross out two, otherwise it looks like there will be another 6 seasons, one for everyone on his list
Jan 6, 1:06 PM

Mar 2020
ouais OSEF 😑
I don't know if there are people who liked this season finale (there are bound to be people who liked this finale xD), personally I didn't like it.
The script is riddled with one aberrant thing after another and the characters' behavior leaves something to be desired but above all what's the damn point of killing off these 2 characters at the end??? 🤨🤔
Jan 16, 7:30 PM
Jul 2017
everyone hates it but I love it
Jan 23, 8:43 AM

Mar 2015
Her community failed her, but thankfully Ophelia still has two trusting friends, especially Carlos. Carlos was willing to sacrifice his whole life just so that Ophelia can have a proper ending.

Hope the next season is more exciting compared to this one, as this season felt lacking. Curious to see how Oliver and his secret group execute their revenge.

7/10
Mar 22, 1:25 PM

Jul 2008
I wanted to get back to the kill em all revenge plot. The characters didn't have much depth to them other than their tropes and stereotypes....and all the girls falling for Oliver like any generic harem. I do see why people soured on it at the end with getting off the main plot for side characters.

But I still kinda like the lore and the world and still enjoyed the watch and would like to see a season 2. So I'm going high 8/10.
Apr 1, 4:28 PM
Aug 2023
Good grief, this show messed up so bad that it made me ended up despising the six main "good guy" characters, and empathizing and rooting for the antagonists "bad guys". That's rare, but holy hell do I have utter contempt for Oliver and kept wishing to see him fail or beat badly, which never happens. Even in the end when he should have gotten his ass beat all over the place by Ophelia, they instead had Milligan take it all while the "good guy" main character did pretty much nothing. Yes, it's set up, explained, and expected that the main characters are way out of their league against upperclassmen and the third level of the labyrinth, but that never stop the main characters from being overwhelmingly OP against people before (which contributed to why I wanted to see them beat so badly). I mean, Oliver and Nanao took on and beat Milligan badly, the same Milligan holding her own against Ophelia, why aren't Oliver and Nanao doing anything now? Can't even be a freaking meat shield for Milligan?!? It would have been extremely practical (and satisfying) if Oliver, Nanao, Chella, and Pete were getting their asses beat to a pulp as a distraction for Milligan (the supposedly strongest of them now) to take on Ophelia by surprise or unhindered. But for some reason this stupid show would not show the main characters getting beat nor fail badly, it's ridiculous and one of the big reasons I despise the main character so.

So I ended up liking pretty much all the antagonists. It's so ridiculous because the antagonists like the Chella's sister/"cousin" with the werewolf servant had backstory flashbacks lasting something like 10 seconds, but they were super effective at getting me to empathize with them. Not that any of the backstory flashbacks were exceptional great, but when compared to the lackluster and almost non-existent character development of the "good guy" main characters, they were. The big problem with the main characters is they often told the audience their backstory, they didn't show it, and when they showed it for Oliver or Nanao it wasn't really that effective nor impactful. Like that guy who played chess with his servant who finally beat him, then she being killed off with her family just for that, and the guy getting tortured for just losing...I felt more for that than Oliver's mysterious backstory of her mom getting betrayed, and this is even with me LMAO when shown the guy was getting tortured for losing. It wasn't even a single case of me siding with an antagonist, like pretty much all of them I found myself siding with. That bully in the earlier episodes who worked through his cowardice and becomes a slightly better person, I wanted the sister/cousin with the werewolf to win so badly, and Milligan should have owned Oliver and Nanao during her first fight against them but they pulled some Spellblade non-sense out of their butts which they didn't even try to use in the Ophelia fight.

And what was going on with this last arc which dragged on, and ended in the Ophelia fight? It was all pointless in terms of the main characters involvement. If they never even tried to go save Pete, it would have all ended exactly the same, the student body president and vice president would have showed up and ended it the same way, and Pete would have been released just like the werewolf kid and others were. Nothing was accomplished for the main characters other than them learning from Milligan, who's probably the best character since they showed a complete range for her character where she was the antagonist who got defeated, reformed, went on to train the main characters, and then fought and struggled against Ophelia only to be defeated again. By the way, the show done her dirty in the end, she didn't die but they didn't even give her a scene in the end to show she was still alive nor to show her off as the anime concluded. They showed her for seconds in the montage after the fight, what an utter disgrace and disrespect to her character. A lot of people thought she was dead, it's not hard to see why when they only dedicated two frames to show she's alright:

And speaking of utter disgraces, Pete's Reversi amounted to nothing. Other commenters early on saying his Reversi adds nothing to his character and the plot were proven right. His Reversi didn't change anything meaningfully with his capture, escape, and rescue. So Pete was able to stay awake because of his Reversi, wake up the other guy to get the smoke signal, breakout and signal the main characters to come; everybody would have found their way there anyways, so it was pointless, just like the main character's fight with Ophelia since the president and vice president would have finished it the same way anyways. They said Pete's Reversi was hindering what Ophelia was trying to do without her knowing, that's pretty pointless also. If that was the case, lets say Pete's Reversi was delaying Ophelia long enough until Godfrey and Carlos could get there in time, from a story/writing standpoint, wouldn't it have been way less convoluted to just write it as they just happened to arrive on time without the BS of Pete's Reversi? Pete's Reversi was so convoluted and utterly pointless, even more so than Chella's half-elf linage reveal.

I think that sums up this whole show perfectly, it was needlessly convoluted, and utterly pointless. I'm kind of struggling on my rating, I'm thinking 5/10, but am I being too harsh?, the production values of the animation was pretty good, but 6/10 seems too good for this mess of an anime. This is probably the first time I ever felt sorry and embarrassed for the animators of an anime. I look at the drawings and think to myself somebody put in so much effort and probably passion in drawing these characters, only for the show to turn out like this. And even if it's the opposite where the animators are just "drawing for a pay check" and it's not about putting their hearts into it, I still find myself feeling sorry they put their skills into this. It's like having NASA engineers build and install a toilet in some run down crappy house so the house flippers can boast about it to try to make the house seem more valuable.

It feels like I'm exaggerating, I've seen worse animes, but something pisses me off about this one with the story and it's characters. It almost looked like they were going somewhere interesting with the revenge plot, but they veered away from it so hard that it looked like a bait and switch scam. Other commenters complaining about this are totally right to be pissed. I don't believe the commenters who try to pin the blame on the anime being a bad adaptation, the way events play out and how the characters are is way more the problem than how they're portrayed by the anime, the anime can only do so much to make it better or worse if there are faults to the source material. This was very evident in "Made in the Abyss" where the 1st season was great, but the 2nd season was a disappointingly underwhelming and different in comparison; the suspected reason being the adaptation of the 1st season was so good because they hid all the fault, but they could only hid the problems for so long until the source material got so bad.

Anyways, I wash my hands of this anime now. Sorry for venting, but I had to get that out of my system before moving on. I enjoyed the antagonists once I turned on the main characters, Ophelia's story was touching, sad she wasn't saved, it was so wasteful. Compared to other animes it wasn't anything that noteworthy, but compared to the main characters it was; I don't give a crap at all about Oliver's story nor Nanao or any of the others "good guys". That's a failing of the source material. It's kind of hard to blame the anime adaption when it was able to make me feel something for the antagonists instead with such short and cheap flashbacks scenes for them.
Apr 26, 9:18 PM

Dec 2022
Can't say I found Ophelia's pity party here the most endearing finish to the anime I could've concocted, as she wasn't anywhere near as sympathetic (or as interesting) a character as this anime was framing her as being. But what perplexes me even more is how Milligan was visibly killed and thrown away like roadkill, only to mysteriously show up alive in the epilogue with no explanation. None of the other characters even spared her another thought after Ophelia threw her mangled bleeding corpse on the ground, as they were apparently preoccupied with staring in awe at the succubus and eunuch reunion. Are you supposed to believe Milligan's apparent death wouldn't weigh on anyone's conscience, after they had now established friendly relations with her?

Also found myself disappointed with the second half of the anime, which teased a juicy and severe revenge plot with Oliver's past, vicious side to his psyche, and killing of one of the antagonistic staff members — only for it to be promptly sidelined as soon as it was introduced, all in exchange for a less compelling dungeon romp with the boilerplate "misunderstood" tragic villain. If the initial plot twist was followed up on immediately, then I believe that Oliver's vindictive attitude towards his mother's killers could've provided an interesting blend of secrecy and contention regarding how his companions would react to it.

Ophelia's arc dragged on for far longer than it should have, all for an unsatisfying conclusion where she and Carlos just dematerialise on a whim anyway. For an anime that otherwise had genuinely engaging world building, moderately entertaining action sequences, and multifaceted characters; it's disappointing to see it fizzle out at the end, all because it couldn't quite commit to that raw brutality that you wanted to see fulfilled by this point. Now, it's still a good anime, but one that could've very easily been a great one if it didn't fuck up at the crossroads. The twist in the seventh episode set everything up perfectly, put the winning formula in the palm of the anime's hand... yet it threw it all away and bottlenecked its potential by pivoting back to the usual mindless adventuring antics. Obviously the "revenge plot" was teased once again in the epilogue, but there was no need for it to be teased at all, as this detour the narrative took was inane from conception.
Archean-ReturnApr 26, 9:50 PM

╔═══▣ ▣═══╗
Shaded Horizon

Apr 27, 10:13 PM
Aug 2023
boring like bad boring
May 20, 9:34 PM

Dec 2016
Honestly, it started strong, up to at least the episode where it reveals the MC twist. But then it just became ... I don't know, mid/normal.

The OP is really good though, like the visuals of it.
May 30, 12:34 PM

May 2021
how to describe this anime would be

meh, with this plot, could've been much better. liked it better at the start.

Aug 23, 7:42 PM

Sep 2015
I don't get the resolution for this arc at all. With Carlos and Godfrey breaking in somehow (I thought they said they couldn't but Carlos apparently can), they probably could have just killed her. I get they wanted to give her a emotional resolution but come on, she can't be saved. If they kill Ophelia, she's the only one that dies. With Carlos doing the sacrifice, they BOTH dies. The math ain't mathing chief.

Also Miligan really became my favorite female character here. Nanao felt too much like a mary sue at times. I liked Katie, she's cute and agree with her but mostly useless. When Miligan was introduced, I thought she was finally the normal upperclassmen for once but then turns out there's not a single sane person in this school outside of the main cast. Ok the student council are sane but that's about it.
Still Miligan doesn't seem overall hostile, she wasn't going to hurt Katie (although still invasive and without Katie's permission). Besides that, she apologized and gave them their own little base, helped train them, tutor them, and guide them through the dungeon. And she's a competent fighter while talking smack to Ophelia even after getting skewered. What's not to love? She also still has just that bit of insanity, not too much to make her unfriendly, but enough to just make her interesting.
While I really like her, I'm surprised she survived.

Overall the anime was enjoyable to me. There are some issues here and there but mostly minor stuff and stuff I would consider nitpicky. The main issues I have is that the pacing felt fast especially at the start. The characters do have development but feels rushed and not always built up properly. Also, the main plot not getting more focused lead to the story feeling directionless. Yea the side stories and side characters are interesting but there's nothing tying it all together. Only episode 6 was about the main plot if we can call it that.

The music is overall pretty decent. The art is pretty mid but the animation specifically are really good. The fights are really nice to watch. It also helps the fight often include some strategizing yet it isn't bogged down by them talking about what to do next. Each character also fills a role or niche during combat too showcasing their teamwork and individual unique capabilities. I really can't praise the fights enough. The only issue is the occasional sword pushing which is a really dumb trope that needs to die, but it's not exclusive to this show.
zcv45Aug 23, 7:50 PM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

223 by AtotehZ »»
Oct 9, 7:29 AM

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

» In which way this is an LGBT anime?

Dije - Apr 22

37 by RioAl »»
Jul 8, 4:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.