Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 19, 2022 2:21 PM

Jun 2012
Loved it. Excited for the fight in the next ep :D

Also, they skipped the OP. Which is a good sign for adaptation sake I guess.
Jul 19, 2022 2:21 PM

Mar 2016
I swear these episodes are only like 5 minutes long, they always end when they just barely started. I need more.
Jul 19, 2022 2:43 PM

Dec 2013
I still can't remember much of the previous seasons but I'm sure this has been some of my fav episodes so far, its been pretty engaging.
Jul 19, 2022 2:49 PM

Jul 2021
I dont get it why some people consider this episode boring??? Its actually very interesting! This is what worldbuilding is all about.

I remember the same thing happen with Slime Isekai last year. Many complain about the boring dialogue in the first few episodes.
Jul 19, 2022 2:49 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Jircniv got totally brained by Ainz while destroying the alliance with Slane they just can't do anything against him this is hilarious
Jul 19, 2022 3:55 PM
May 2020
the way ainz popped up to the Colosseum had me creasing differently lol
Jul 19, 2022 4:41 PM

Aug 2020
ainz kissed albedo, ainz kissed albedo, ainz kissed albedo

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 19, 2022 5:10 PM
Nov 2018
Fever1102 said:
I really like this adaptation so far. It's skipping a lot of a boring details while still covering the main plot points.

I would mostly say the book is better for these first few episodes. But yeah it's not super critical that they skipped ainz bonding with the adventurer guild-master. Granted it's all been talking and not animation yet, so the upcoming fight should be interesting.

I am mostly grumpy that it skipped ainz' perspective of the situation with the emperor before and during the arena, although it could just be reordered. But I understand, ainz has a lot of perspective on everything; the book is like half him monologueing to himself so not everything can make it in.
jmstructorJul 19, 2022 6:46 PM
Jul 19, 2022 5:31 PM

Sep 2013
Ainz x Albedo was done well except he should have kissed her on the forehead instead of the cheek.
Jirvic scenes were especially good, if only they did it like this for the end of s3.
Jul 19, 2022 5:56 PM

May 2021
"Lets make the Sorcerer King and Momon turn against each other." Oh boy, this is just hilarious.

Jircniv is such a great character. I hope they focus on him more, more than Philip at least.

Jul 19, 2022 6:13 PM

Mar 2010
Seeing that blonde lad be in great despair is the reason we love this anime.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 19, 2022 6:18 PM
Mar 2016
I was just wondering overlord is madhouse signature anime or not. I mean overlord they made 4 seasons and overlord still alive til date.
to me a signature anime of a certain anime studio is that the anime is still alive up to date. it doesn't matter if anime like death note is number 1 but no sequel the anime have been dead since. so I'm guessing madhouse don't have any anime else that have more 2 seasons so overlord is their signature. the same as a1-picture that their signature anime is SAO.
Jul 19, 2022 6:22 PM

Jul 2009
It really shouldn't be this easy to quote cross-media things:

This quote of mine continues to point out how exceptionally incompetent Jircniv is. He's trusting the guy handing over messages and overlooking the most obvious thing of all;
Fluder was Jircniv's teacher so he should know how Jircniv thinks and the coded language the Empire uses, and this means speaking in code with "merchants" will stand out as like a sore thumb.

I don't believe Jircniv would be able to win in a struggle for the throne (against his siblings if he had any) and his lack of perception would make for a poor leader on the front line (inability to see through feints, traps, etc.). I'd even go further to say he would miss the nobles of his nation harming the people (ie: excessive taxation, kidnapping commoners as toys, etc.).

I can't even; how has Jircniv maintained his seat on the throne after all this time!? (assumed answer: Fluder)
Jul 19, 2022 6:54 PM
Jun 2019
No matter what you do, you can never hope to out-cun Ainz-sama.
Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
Jul 19, 2022 6:58 PM

May 2015
I'm still wondering how he was able to kiss Albedo on the cheek. He has no lips! It'd be more like a cheek rub then anything else.

All of the planning to get the jump on Ainz, and he appears at the very end unbeknownst to you and makes you look like a nefarious traitor to those you were scheming with. If I were Jircniv I'd have to give up. Then again, he doesn't comprehend the full power of the opponent he's going against.
Jul 19, 2022 7:21 PM
girls are good

Jan 2018
ngl I was pretty confused when the slane theocracy leaders were talking (if anyone wants to tell me what happened there that would be great) but i'm excited to see the upcoming fight

please recommend me anime with hot girls

Jul 19, 2022 7:30 PM

Jan 2021
i was seeing the cute and wholesome ainz and albedo moment and something popped up to mind while he ''kissed'' her did he really kiss her? a kiss is done with the lips and sometimes with the tongue but he doesn't have any of those so technically it was not really kissing but just him touching with his teeths her cheek. which phrasing it that make it sound kind of disturbing and weird.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jul 19, 2022 8:11 PM

Dec 2010
Imagine hating on this episode thinking it was boring when there was so much build up happening.

Ainz outsmarting jircniv the emperor as usual and the plot of the plane theocracy to ally with the empire but fails.
Jul 19, 2022 8:56 PM
Jul 2017
undeadkingainz said:
is that even Ain't or Pandora as a body double
that is definitely Ainz
Jul 19, 2022 9:37 PM

Jun 2021
Ainz: Gives Albedo a kiss and gets her to calm down

Also Ainz: Forget what you saw here

My dude Momonga, something tells me the maid will never forget what she saw.

I do feel kinda bad for Jircniv tho, dude keeps getting shit on by everyone.
Jul 19, 2022 9:41 PM

Jan 2021
The logic of still trying to find away to beat Ainz when you saw him literally demolish 180k soldiers in a instant singlehandedly, not only is Jircniv got no chance at all, anything other then him actually acknowledging it is complete delusion.

I mean in reality Ainz and any of the floor guardians could tank all the human controlled countries without much effort single handedly.

I can't wait to see the despair of the slane theocracy when they realise how God-Kins are not even close to strong enough.
Jul 19, 2022 9:55 PM

Sep 2020
Its is absolutely insane to see people labeling this episode as a boring one

You'd have to be extra high or something for unable to see the massive buildup happening for an eventual climax

Madhouse has been killing it with the adaptation thus far (compared to the previous seasons)
Legit everything from art/animation to the pace and cutting of content

VERY excited to see the upcoming arcs adapted in this manner

5/5 episode
Jul 19, 2022 9:58 PM

Sep 2020
dabdabgoose said:
The logic of still trying to find away to beat Ainz when you saw him literally demolish 180k soldiers in a instant singlehandedly, not only is Jircniv got no chance at all, anything other then him actually acknowledging it is complete delusion.

I mean in reality Ainz and any of the floor guardians could tank all the human controlled countries without much effort single handedly.

I can't wait to see the despair of the slane theocracy when they realise how God-Kins are not even close to strong enough.

To be fair, these god-kins are one-man armies, and if we go by New World standards, they are insanely strong.

Let's not forget that back in S1, the dude god-kin took a hit from a wild Shalltear, and the same dude thinks that the girl god-kin can beat that Shalltear. (S2 E1)
Jul 19, 2022 9:59 PM

Jan 2021
Zprotu said:
dabdabgoose said:

To be fair, these god-kins are one-man armies, and if we go by New World standards, they are insanely strong.

Let's not forget that back in S1, the dude god-kin took a hit from a wild Shalltear, and the same dude thinks that the girl god-kin can beat that Shalltear.
Wasn't that due to the world item though, like without it all of them would of been dead without effort.
Jul 19, 2022 10:02 PM

Sep 2020
dabdabgoose said:
Zprotu said:

Let's not forget that back in S1, the dude god-kin took a hit from a wild Shalltear, and the same dude thinks that the girl god-kin can beat that Shalltear.
Wasn't that due to the world item though, like without it all of them would of been dead without effort.

This was before Shalltear was rendered neutral due to the world item. Even then, she wasn't even given any command because the item's user died from one of her hits, so she would counterattack anyone with full strength if they approached her. You should rewatch the scene where she was brainwashed, and the beginning 5 minutes of S2 E1 for more clarification.

In regards to the dude god-kin's strength (who is weaker than the girl god-kin btw), from the LN:

There were twelve people before her.
Each person was attired in a full panoply of equipment which varied between
each of them.
Their gear was not simple and functional, but as decorative and unique as Shalltear’s own equipment. They looked quite potent at a glance. Of course, Shalltear did not have any skills to discern the power of magic items, so she had to go by her gut, but she felt that their magic items might be of legendary class or above.
Doubts appeared in Shalltear’s head, given that she had no idea where these people hailed from. These twelve people seemed completely different from the others that Shalltear had seen in this world. It was the difference between a lion and a mouse.
Shalltear considered the twelve men and women, and her gaze finally rested on one of them, a man.
That man... is he strong?
Shalltear was surprised and had no levels in dedicated warrior classes, but her assessment of her opposition’s strength still told her that he was not only much stronger than the Vampire Brides she had brought along, but also far surpassed Solution, the Pleiades battle maid.

AND:

The spear-wielding man rushed at her just as she realized this and was about to make her move.
“Get lost!”
Shalltear batted him aside with all her might. However, when subjected to a strike that would pulverize a weak human being, the man was simply knocked back and did not perish on the spot. In addition, his will to fight was still intact despite being blown away.

ZprotuJul 19, 2022 10:09 PM
Jul 19, 2022 10:15 PM
Nov 2021
Cant wait for episode 4, looks like we get Ainz flexing on people. Really like the emperor, hope he doesnt go bald. Thought S3 hinted that there were people who could somewhat fight people from the mmorpg, wonder when those people will show up. Wonder how long until the god kin side with Momonga. Im surprised the female hasnt already decided, since basically only scene we've seen her in she was like "I want to get pregnant with a man's baby, but the man has to be able to defeat me". Cause of that imagine she joins the Ainz Ooal Gown harem
Jul 19, 2022 10:22 PM

Jan 2021
Zprotu said:
dabdabgoose said:

This was before Shalltear was rendered neutral due to the world item. Even then, she wasn't even given any command because the item's user died from one of her hits, so she would counterattack anyone with full strength if they approached her. You should rewatch the scene where she was brainwashed, and the beginning 5 minutes of S2 E1 for more clarification.

In regards to the dude god-kin's strength (who is weaker than the girl god-kin btw), from the LN:

There were twelve people before her.
Each person was attired in a full panoply of equipment which varied between
each of them.
Their gear was not simple and functional, but as decorative and unique as Shalltear’s own equipment. They looked quite potent at a glance. Of course, Shalltear did not have any skills to discern the power of magic items, so she had to go by her gut, but she felt that their magic items might be of legendary class or above.
Doubts appeared in Shalltear’s head, given that she had no idea where these people hailed from. These twelve people seemed completely different from the others that Shalltear had seen in this world. It was the difference between a lion and a mouse.
Shalltear considered the twelve men and women, and her gaze finally rested on one of them, a man.
That man... is he strong?
Shalltear was surprised and had no levels in dedicated warrior classes, but her assessment of her opposition’s strength still told her that he was not only much stronger than the Vampire Brides she had brought along, but also far surpassed Solution, the Pleiades battle maid.

AND:

The spear-wielding man rushed at her just as she realized this and was about to make her move.
“Get lost!”
Shalltear batted him aside with all her might. However, when subjected to a strike that would pulverize a weak human being, the man was simply knocked back and did not perish on the spot. In addition, his will to fight was still intact despite being blown away.

I know how strong they are they are, basically inbetween the strength of a Battle maid and a Floor Gaurdian, but that is a massive difference in strength, Shalltear would of easily clapped them even if they both went at her at once because she has atleast 20 levels on the God kins plus similar level equipment, ofcourse she wasn't in her strongest form when she did that attack though(She was when she faced Ainz).

The sheer amount of OP Nazarick has is pretty overwhelming, basically all the max leveled members would be the equivalent of a weapon of mass destruction.

Ofcourse I also know why God-kins are strong compared to the others in the world but I'll not spoil that for others.
dabdabgooseJul 19, 2022 10:27 PM
Jul 19, 2022 11:18 PM
Nov 2019
GAMBAAAREEEEEEEEEEE , hahahaha

They really milking Albedo cuteness this season, I approved
Jul 19, 2022 11:53 PM
Mar 2020
Did she just called him Momonga sama?
Jul 19, 2022 11:54 PM

Mar 2015
Too much boring worthless humans talking in this ep, it sucked. Ain hugging Alby was the best part, I was so happy for her.
Jul 20, 2022 12:04 AM
Oct 2019
Ainz actually Kiss Albedo, only in the cheeks though and also hug... but still W to Albedo...

Meanwhile human trying their best to fight against the Supreme One.
Jul 20, 2022 12:24 AM
Dec 2017
Greatest of all time for me
Jul 20, 2022 12:54 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
This episode is funny and entertaining.
I like how those humans and the blonde emperor were trying to outmaneuver Sorcerer Kingdom only to be surprised by Ainz's (potentially calculated) surprise visit, and ended up cheering so hard for that Warrior King..

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 20, 2022 2:12 AM
Jul 2018
Another great episode. It's a pity that he didn't kiss her on the lips at first, but later he outsmarted this blonde boy in a cool way. I look forward to the next episode!
Jul 20, 2022 2:36 AM

Sep 2021
Marinate1016 said:
I LOVE the pacing of this season. They’re doing a really good job of not rushing all the political intrigue of this volume. The best part of overlord really.

Loved how the emperor nearly shit himself when Ainz showed up at the coliseum lol. That feeling of hopelessness that he has really translated well in this adaptation.

same views, though vol 14 is rumored to be adapted as well? Felt great on how the characters were portrayed in this ep, albedo, gilgamesh 2.0 and ainz himself.
Jul 20, 2022 2:45 AM

May 2018
ngl Albedo saying Momonga instead of Ains is pretty suspicious. Anyways poor Jircniv he's gonna run out of hair at this rate
Jul 20, 2022 4:29 AM
Jan 2021
Drxcxrys said:
though vol 14 is rumored to be adapted as well?

It's not just a rumor, some of the content of the opening is from vol 14. I just hope they'll do a flashback for vol 12 and 13 instead of changing the story.
Jul 20, 2022 5:02 AM

Jul 2014
I know it's not easy to make scenes of pure talking engaging, but come on! Let the characters emote more, at least. Or use actual OST in the background to help set the tone. Besides, it is boring because we all know that none of this build-up will mean anything in the end cos Ainz will once again just squash them like bugs under his shoe when the time comes and the show will be all like "look how cool and evil Ainz is! so cool how OP he and his followers are and how gratuitously they kill everyone!". Indeed, that's basically what the end of this episode boils down to with his appearance at the coliseum.

The only talking and scheming in this show that holds any weight whatsoever is that done by Ainz and the denizens of Nazarick, because it's interesting to see what their plans are and how it all eventually comes together.

Yeah, I think I'll check out of Overlord, as my awareness of how exactly it works means I can't bring myself to give a damn about much of anything happening.
AtavisticJul 20, 2022 5:14 AM
Jul 20, 2022 5:12 AM

Sep 2020
Atavistic said:
I know it's not easy to make scenes of pure talking engaging, but come on! Let the characters emote more, at least. Or use actual OST in the background to help set the tone..

Are we watching the same show? kek

Atavistic said:
we all know that none of this build-up will mean anything in the end cos Ainz will once again just squash them like bugs under his shoe when the time comes and the show will be all like "look how cool and evil Ainz is! so cool how OP he and his followers are and how gratuitously they kill everyone!".

A really bland takeaway of everything that actually happens tbh

Jul 20, 2022 5:25 AM

Jan 2016
Im not sure how Ainz got the info of King's plans but it was surprising and Where the hell is my girl Shalltear? Sadge
Jul 20, 2022 6:38 AM
Jan 2021
Genuinely, not only did this episode make movements with Ainz and Albedo, but the whole part about her message of wanting to be embraced and it being done was such a wholesome and heartwarming moment

Also once again Ainz coming in badass no matter where

ps. pitting Mr Momon and the Sorcerer king against each other?
ooooooooooooooh boy i love context
Jul 20, 2022 6:38 AM
Mar 2019
jmstructor said:
Fever1102 said:
I really like this adaptation so far. It's skipping a lot of a boring details while still covering the main plot points.

I would mostly say the book is better for these first few episodes. But yeah it's not super critical that they skipped ainz bonding with the adventurer guild-master. Granted it's all been talking and not animation yet, so the upcoming fight should be interesting.

I am mostly grumpy that it skipped ainz' perspective of the situation with the emperor before and during the arena, although it could just be reordered. But I understand, ainz has a lot of perspective on everything; the book is like half him monologueing to himself so not everything can make it in.

I just don't care if the meeting with the guy who overlooks the arena is skipped.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Jul 20, 2022 7:20 AM

Feb 2022
"do your best "is the best for this ep
2023 :

Jul 20, 2022 8:35 AM

Jun 2014
This episode was better than s1-3 in its entirety.

Now I need to read vol 14... can't believe they gonna adapt it this season its the only volume I havent read yet.
Jul 20, 2022 8:38 AM
Aug 2016
it just reignited but sadly this episode snub it by reminding they still not found or in other word meet with brainwas criminal group! 1 to 4 still not found ugh even a little clue none.
Jul 20, 2022 9:47 AM
May 2021
this episode was so good :)

Ainz' presence scared them all

btw I love the ending
Jul 20, 2022 10:30 AM
Apr 2018
World building, hilarious outcomes and that end scene with the misunderstanding was brilliant. What a truly boring episode??? Said some people. The mind boggles- it's episodes like this, is the reason why the series has 4 seasons. If this was boring, how did people get to this season without dropping it is my question?

I just feel so sorry for the Emperor lol.
Jul 20, 2022 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
I'm surprised with how much more faithful to the book's overall experience they are being in this particular season. Seasons 1-3 (particularly after book 2) are a rushed mess of summarized major plot points with a particularly poor execution of the overall storytelling that makes Overlord such an engaging read.

In here it looks like they are actually trying to give us the more standard lore building and character driven developments instead. Still missing and reorganizing a bunch of things, but nothing as major of a problem as in the previous seasonal adaptations (in which they basically ruined entire character arcs and created plot-holes due to how they handled the expository non-chronological metanarrative of the books, which play out more like a mystery for the most part, and not fully focused on Nazarick characters at all).

3 eps in, and this is definitely the better adapted Overlord has ever been, they are taking their time much better here. I hope they keep this quality going forward, even if they HAVE to abridge the story again. Just don't make it unsubstantial and broken like books 3-9.

WesternSiren said:
Wow they skipped a lot but I guess they'll do a cut back next episode considering they showed the part they skipped in the intro so I guess we'll have to see.

My guess is that they reorganized some events a bit for the next ep, yeah. There was a lot to unpack given the pacing they are developing in this season, which honestly, it's for the better in this case (and not really damaging as to say, how they presented book 8, for example).

4.5/5
Jul 20, 2022 3:51 PM

Jul 2009
Danpmss said:
I'm surprised with how much more faithful to the book's overall experience they are being in this particular season. Seasons 1-3 (particularly after book 2) are a rushed mess of summarized major plot points with a particularly poor execution of the overall storytelling that makes Overlord such an engaging read.

In here it looks like they are actually trying to give us the more standard lore building and character driven developments instead. Still missing and reorganizing a bunch of things, but nothing as major of a problem as in the previous seasonal adaptations (in which they basically ruined entire character arcs and created plot-holes due to how they handled the expository non-chronological metanarrative of the books, which play out more like a mystery for the most part, and not fully focused on Nazarick characters at all).

Dedicated fans might want the novel perfectly re-enacted but those who just pick up the anime want to enjoy their time. Although there were obvious changes and some noticeable plot holes, you still enjoyed the series enough to reach this 4th season, and so have many anime-only people.

3 eps in, and this is definitely the better adapted Overlord has ever been, they are taking their time much better here. I hope they keep this quality going forward, even if they HAVE to abridge the story again. Just don't make it unsubstantial and broken like books 3-9.
Normally, anime developers want to rush things for an action-oriented series during the slow and information-filled parts. Look back to when you were in middle school/high school and ask yourself if you were happy/excited to read a book the board of education wanted to shove down your throat.

In addition to pushing passed enormous paragraphs of dialogue, details, and more, they probably wanted to "finish" the arcs rather than saving 1-2 episodes for the next season. This is a flaw in today's anime where (for the most part,) anime conform to a fixed number of episodes (ie: 12, 13, 24-26) as opposed to random numbers (ie: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu 14, Trouble Chocolate 20, Clannad 23, Death Note 37, Great Teacher Onizuka 43, Sailor Moon 46, Digimon Adventure 54, etc.). Furthermore, if they were "stupid" enough to do that 1-2 episode cliffhanger, the fans would probably start a riot (or something similar).

Remember, anime was originally made to hook people into buying and reading the novels, and it's primary target is people who haven't read the other media. Given this and the reasons above, they did a pretty good job on the first 3 seasons (even with some plot holes and changes).
Jul 20, 2022 4:59 PM
Mar 2019
A lot of yapping today, not the action ( we crave ) but it progresses the storyline.
Shalltear where are you??
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord IV Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2022

180 by RodxD »»
Oct 9, 12:43 AM

Poll: » Overlord IV Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2022

248 by 9779 »»
Oct 6, 2:50 AM

Poll: » Overlord IV Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2022

322 by TheOtherJN »»
Oct 4, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Overlord IV Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2022

205 by TheOtherJN »»
Oct 4, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Overlord IV Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2022

160 by RodxD »»
Oct 2, 4:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.