Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 21, 2021 11:19 PM

Jan 2014
What a finale! It's an all out struggle and battlefield as each side tears each other apart and Amuro and Char at last have their final confrontation pushing each other's limits to the brink each fighting because of their feelings towards Lalah albeit from different perspectives. With a midair sword fight which Sayla intervenes with before both are done in I believe thanks to Amuro's Newtype abilities he was able to dodge Char's attack; it also seems his connection with Lalah has merged their consciences somewhat boosting his abilities in times of danger and thus, the attack only entered his shoulder and as Char mentioned his headgear protected him from a fatal blow. Also JESUS Char even decapitates and decimates Kycilia's head with that final attack O-O freaking brutal but pretty damn awesome! Everyone gets some screen time and Amuro utilizing his new abilities is able to get the word out to all his friends to get out of danger so they can all escape. Seeing the White Base being destroyed was an effective choice and rather bittersweet it carried our heroes for so long but now it can finally rest.

Culminate that with a feel good ending where Amuro realizes he has made and found a place to call home with all of his friends so relieved and happy that he is alright as he is overwhelmed with tears of joy and that he can't join Lalah yet as he has much to live for it this world! Thus, ending the 1 year one in the calendar year of 0080 with a treaty between the Federation and Zeon great sendoff!

Overall an enjoyable series I can see how this paved a foundation of inspiration and influence for many years and decades to come in both the mecha genre and anime as a whole. I agree with several other posters on this forum that these last several episodes while still great in my opinion felt rushed in certain aspects makes me wonder how it would have turned out if they got their 9/10 more episodes to work with before they were cut a bit short. Also, I agree that at times throughout the series some of the dramatic moments could be a bit too melodramatic but others were done very effectively in my opinion.

And I agree that the Zabi family members were rather underdeveloped as characters however, the various soldiers of Zeon I thought were handled very well instead of just being a bunch of mustache twirling villains they hit a nice balance between fictionalized bad guys and actual human traits. So in that sense I sort of assumed the Zabi family was in a similar vein rough around the edges, still ruthless/underhanded but had redeeming human qualities and emotions with the exception of Gihren. Since Garma seemed to care about his men, had a genuine friendship with Char (at least in his eyes) and cared about his finance. Then Degwin genuinely feeling sorrow for the death of his son and Dozle's love for his wife and daughter and his willingness to fight along side his men and not turn tail and run in a desperate situation. Hell one could even argue that Kycilia even had some of these qualities because even when finding out Char's true identity her memories of their good times as children helped to prompt her to trust Char's words in this final battle which is probably why his attack shocked her so greatly in her final moments. It certainly is an interesting trail of traits this older school anime has sprinkle for our antagonists and it was a welcomed surprise; but I agree it would have to nice to see all those qualities good and bad a bit more fleshed out as I am filling in some of the blanks myself XD maybe future installments like prequels or midquels will change my perspective if they pop up but until then.

This show really did give off a nice overall feeling and message despite it's war elements and the OP and ED have certainly grown on me. Amuro and Char grew on me as well but so did a lot of the other characters from Kai and Sayla to Ramba Ral and Hamon even characters who died like Miharu, Ryu and M'Quve. Watching it in the evening unwinding after a long day was certainly an experience and I enjoyed this adventure with much more fun and entertainment to come in this series when I check out future installments so until then Fly on Gundam towards the Galaxy and should a towering foe come before you Fight On with the spirit of those who mean the most to you ^-^

May 8, 2021 9:27 PM
Apr 2019
It was alright. I wish half the cast died, however. Especially the children.

Newtypes aren't properly introduced, it feels like a last-minute thing. I'm guessing the story would have developed differently had the original 52-episode plot had been green-lit. But their existence should have been hinted earlier.

Also, Char is a newtype as well? I thought he was just a very good pilot.

I don't care about Lalah Sune.
Join Unpleb, a chat group about animanga. We have a lot of opinions and argue a lot. Sometimes it's loads of funny, but there are long periods of unfunny, as well.

Unpleb - Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/hprTq2Vv6P
Aug 5, 2021 4:19 AM

Oct 2012
And that's it. A great finale in my opinion. The Amuro vs. Char battle was quite epic but the most epic thing gotta be Char's headshot on Kycilia because holy shit, he just blasted her head off! What aim.

Overall I really enjoyed the show. Some things felt a little rushed, especially the sudden introduction of the newtypes and Lalah as a character, but I can hardly blame them for it since it was on the verge of cancellation and they had to trim the episode count down. Wonder if the movies fix some of that.

I give it a solid 7/10. Really looking forward to explore more of the franchise now.
Nov 27, 2021 11:23 AM

Aug 2015
What an amazing entry. I'm looking forward to moving onto Zeta Gundam. This one started off slow but going back to it after watching so many modern mecha it all makes sense. What a cool series.
Jul 15, 2022 5:41 PM
Mar 2019
what can i say, this was great. after i dropped this 2 years ago from being too out of date, i'm glad i picked it up again
Sep 6, 2022 5:01 PM
Sep 2022
It was my first gundam anime. It was very good, but defiantly shows its age
Oct 9, 2022 12:55 AM

Apr 2020
The father of all mecha and it's still good despite being nearly 40 years old.
7/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
May 25, 2023 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
I Feel as this episode was rushed and I don't know what to feel but I still gave it a 5 Regardless I don't know what to say but I still ship Garma and Char lol I still remember that shower scene and the sexual tension between them lol. But char didn't die and he and amuro managed not to kill eachother but char did kill Kycilia with her head being blown off lol. Char still needs to kill the baby zabi but I don't think he's that heartless. Anyways I Guess Lala Gave amuro her powers with him managing to save white base crew. Also I thought he died but he managed to survive. Anyways I suprinsingly managed to enjoy the first entry of the Gundam series I hope the rest manage to maintain this quality but I doubt it lol. Off to the next Gundum entry next week I need to cool down first
Jun 18, 2023 5:07 PM

May 2023
That was a fine ending to an important series. As for my overall impression:

It felt like an unpolished little piece of gold. It shined here and there, but it also felt unrefined and crude. Characters and relationships were underdeveloped, the political situation between Zeon and the Federation wasn't given enough depth, Zabi family conflicts and aspirations weren't examined really well, the whole "new-type" thing felt somewhat rushed, we barely saw the implications of war on the people of earth (besides a couple of episodes) and... well, Amuro didn't win me as a lead character. Char was better.

I also have to say that I watched this series after finishing "The Rose of Versailles" (Versailles no Bara), which was made during the same time (late 70s). "Versailles" was a masterpiece and after seeing this, "Gundam" felt a bit underwhelming.

Still: as I said, it was unpolished gold. I loved how the series refrained from depicting black or white "good vs evil" sides and, instead, chose a more realistic approach. I liked how some pacifist messages shone, here and there, amidst the destruction. Char, Sayla and Kai were really interesting characters. And I have a feeling that Gundam Zeta will be better, so there's no denying I'll be watching that, as well.
Jun 24, 2023 7:17 PM
Feb 2021
That was a pretty great conclusion for what it was worth. It was good to see the finale of Char vs Amuro which has basically been a thing since episode 2 or 3.

The White Base and the Gundam being destroyed in battle was also a really good sendoff to the show. It really gets across that the people and crew of the White Base were his home, rather than the base itself or conflict.

Overall, the show is really old. The first arc is decent, then they get to Earth and the entire show just comes to a screeching halt.

The show really picked up in the last 13 or so episodes, though, with the supernatural plotline and more politics. Being the second Gundam I watched (1st is IBO), I can actually start to see why people like the franchise beyond the robots and political scheming.
Aug 4, 2023 5:49 AM

Jul 2017
a wonderful ending, i loved it, and cried.
a solid 8.5 for me
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Aug 23, 2023 5:34 PM
Jun 2021
wow that ending was amazing RIP Lala
Aug 26, 2023 2:27 AM
Jul 2017
Tele-pathetic. The series was good before the random magic
Oct 22, 2023 1:41 PM
Oct 2023
Casval killing Kycilia was the cherry on top a great finale. It actually made me surprisingly sad to see Gundam and White Base destroyed. Didnt realize how attached to them i had gotten.

In the end, this was a much better series than i thought it'd be. Despite being outdated in a lot of ways, and rather lacking character writing, it made me actually care about what was going on almost the entire time through. The MSotW part of the anime actually held my attention without getting boring and the serialized back third was engaging to the end.

I definitely do not regret watching this over the movies, but i have to say Origin did a lot of heavy lifting getting me invested in the setting first as well as making many moments more meaningful.

Onward to 8th MS Team!
Nov 5, 2023 8:36 PM

May 2019
Fantastic ending, I was pretty blown away.
Nov 7, 2023 10:20 AM

Jan 2019
Char shooting Kycilia's head off was metal asf! I wish the whole show was the same quality as these last 10ish episodes, it really started to wrap up just as it was getting interesting.

Nov 29, 2023 8:54 AM

Nov 2018
Finally got around to finishing this as I started this back over 4 years ago and have left it on hold ever since. Good ending.
MAL EMOJIS - Get your specially formatted emojis for MAL forums.

Jan 13, 9:47 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
If you were to tell me I'd have this show as the first one to finish in 2024 I'd call bullshit but here we are.

Almost 45 years after its original release I can see how the franchise started and how it influenced all that came after it. Coming from G-Witch I was certainly expecting a massive downgrade in animation which I didn't mind much. Nonetheless I was not expecting some of the raw scenes the show portrayed such as multiple bath scenes, the misogyny, the direct reference to Hitler and some of the most brutal deaths. None of them were graphic, don't get me wrong, but they were conveyed as so and they added to the drama that the scene had unfolded.

We can't talk about drama without mentioning the characters which, for all purposes, were all amateurs. They had no military experience and were thrown out there to serve as a decoy multiple times, facing up against some pretty nasty (and some not so bright enemies). Amuro starts off being a bit egotistical and immature but shifts after Ryu (the first actually head down to Earth character) sacrifices himself. Same thing happened to Bright, who at first was too stuck and uncommunicative but then started to trust his crew more and really became a shoulder to cry on. As for the rest of the cast, Kai's first jerk impression slowly starts to fade after Miharu's death, and starts to take things a bit more seriously but not too much; Fraw Bow doesn't change much and only reacts to Amuro in jealousy or eeriness and to Hayato by the end, who might be the one she ended up with (might, not sure) and who also barely changed; and Mirai had that one off episode in Side 6 to the guy she had to marry as well as Sleggar's romantic relationship during his brief appearance where he was just there to say what was in his mind.

Regarding the Zeons, Sayla (Artesia) starts off composed but from time to time breaks down in front of Char (Casval)'s presence and makes rash decisions. He, on the other hand, looks like a knowledgeable military soldier and lieutenant with a plan that by the end isn't really clear how he was going to execute in the first place. It always seems that he'd "figure things out later". This led to him basically becoming a murderer and making Lalah be a part of it, someone who introduced the concept of the Newtypes as some sort of next step in evolution or something. I'm honestly not too sure what their powers are considering that scene that reminds me too much of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Then, the generals were all in for their personal sake, all except the prime one who at the moment of trying to make amends got blasted out the ass by a solar ray. From their tactics you could guess if they were going to make a dent into the White Base but, aside from a few sacrifices and the very last battle, they barely did. Take into account even the 3 children survived until the end somehow.

In any case, the show really got me into the robot fights by the second part when they started to become more dynamic as the tension intensified and everyone had more weapons at their disposal. For that reason I might in the future end up watching the movie for a remastered version but for now I'm clocked out on mechs until the next one I decide to give a go.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 9, 11:35 PM

Jul 2016
char was just out there betraying everyone, lol. poor garma. his entire family tree has been chopped, aided by his closest friend. char's one heck of a character alright
and was that bloody fencing in microgravity?
May 16, 8:47 PM

Dec 2022
great Finale
my man Char tried to talk sense to Amuro but of course he wouldn't hear it, understandable considering his position
absolute fucking savage decapitation
Amuro is happy ^_^ .... for now!!!
Aug 10, 9:31 PM

Oct 2022
The last episode . Gundamooooo! Escape. The enemy has an infinite arm and is assaulting from all directions. Gun Cannon and gun tank are cracking into the enemy base. He can’t attack from all directions when he’s this close. He psychically lectures him. Gundam looses an arm as Shart loses two. The white base is landing. Gundams head is shot off. As Shart is nothing but a head. The headless is wunking. [spoiler] Gundam it’s destroyed.[\spoiler] He is convinced that he has grown, and now has the ability to defeat the true enemy. Face-to-face. Everyone is resorting to hand to hand. She is a new type as well. They are fighting with swords and jet packs. Just because there is a war, doesn’t mean they have to fight. Not true. He tries to talk. He tries to convince them to join his side. One final show! And it’s been true every time. It is a show. He takes off his mask. And the zobies are no more. Betrayal from their strongest soldier. The enemy has no leader. Ain’t no way. [spoiler] Gundam is not gone after all. The core fighter remains. He can see the crew. He is communicating to everyone the winning stratagem. He calls her his deer. They are escaping as their ship is exploding. A firework of the wars finale. The enemy is exploding. The children are guiding him. The reason they were brought along. Yeah. He units with them. Why does he cares so much about lala. What about his? Why is he playing with her all the time? He abandons the core fighter no reason for it now that the war is over and humanity has united. The new Dawn brings with it the promise of peace for all mankind. What a lovely show. I’m thinking a strong eight as my initial impression. Insane how they were doing this in 1979. Insane that they canceled it. And I probably wouldn’t have been able to guess that unless I had already known. They wrapped it up quite nice. It is kind of annoying that the only complete romance was the one that didn’t make any sense at all. But that’s not that big deal. It was cool to see where the inspiration camefrom for what came after it. They even went psychological with it. Could even theoretically rise to a 9 in the future. 5
Aug 13, 11:46 AM

Mar 2018
Decisive Fed vicotry it seems. Child me would have been head over heels for this episode.

I lol'd when they cut to Amuro and Char suddenly fencing. They aren't being that subtle about the homoerotic subtext.

On a more unfortunate timeline where Gundam had been a colossal failure, I still think this would have been a conclusive ending, even if child me would've wanted to know way more about Char and the newtypes. I liked how his newtype abilities seem to be more on the weak side, fits him.

Thankfully that isn't the case, and several entries of continuation exist, as this has turned into quite the epic tale. Now I just have to flip a coin as to whether I continue with Zeta or with War in the Pocket

Definetly a must-watch for diehard anime fans.
"A name... Toru Rikiishi"
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What counts as a separate series?

Cheemer - Jul 29

9 by bboy_OatsnRice »»
Aug 15, 8:02 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 42 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

45 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 10, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

74 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 10, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Jul 23, 2009

51 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 10, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 39 Discussion

Pheefa - Jul 25, 2010

42 by TheVistrian »»
Aug 10, 9:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.