Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 29, 2016 12:58 PM
Aug 2012
I just found young Chagum eyes admirable in his determination...he acts so mature.
Nov 27, 2016 3:14 AM
May 2012
I really enjoyed this episode. And Aniki? I'm surprised they believed they are brothers ahahaha.
Dec 26, 2016 5:36 AM

Apr 2009
Kaiji and Akira feels,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2017 12:14 PM

Jan 2010
I can't say it was the best idea for Chagum to be so show-offy, especially with his necklace. I'm also not sure about how talk about how the cheaters were still running a business and making a living was suddenly thrown out the window at the end. But, all's well that ends well I guess.
May 6, 2017 8:55 PM

Oct 2012
Oh wow I thought I'm watching Jotaro vs Barbie D'arby xD

In this episode we see how Chagum is growing up becoming a better character :3
"Signature removed"
Nov 20, 2017 4:06 AM

Dec 2015
Those two are gonna get in trouble one day. Also, is it really safe to call him 'Chagum' in the city? You never know who's listening...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 25, 2018 9:12 AM

Sep 2011
I loved this, Chagum and Touya are now closer, and we got to learn a bit more about them. I guess that Chagum wasn't impressed with Touya's trick to buy those sweets by paying less, and that's why he didn't offer to help him to win at the gamble game, but when Chagum realized that Touya just wanted to prevent those people from losing what they had, he was brave and faced those guys! He is so smart too! I guess it was to be expected, but he's observant and quick to think, Balsa did the right thing asking Touya to take him around, this side of Chagum may certainly be helpful later!
Nov 6, 2018 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
Chagum taps into his inner Kaiji. Brilliant episode and the best filler episode ever.
Aug 22, 2019 8:20 AM

May 2015
It was fun to watch this game.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 1, 2019 9:04 AM

Sep 2014
Glady it doesn't turn into violence at the end and the last match was fair and square.
Mar 27, 2020 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
Thanks to Chagum Touya gets his lugal back.
Jan 20, 2021 2:53 PM

Jul 2017
This show never ceases to amaze me. I always thought this show was great, even though my memory of it has been a bit bleak over time, but this rewatch is really showing me how exceptional this show really is, and how it already feels like one of my all-time favorite anime just 10 episodes in its run.

Just so many things felt so great in this episode, right from the start till the end.

I loved how Balsa genuinely cares about Chagum after basically undertaking him as a mother figure once she wanted to take care of him till he grew up, despite the money all being gone now to escape in peace. Now that they are living in a town with some sort of peace for the time being, she wants Chagum now to experience the life of a commoner where he just doesn't exist in the background and isolate himself most of the time like he would do before since he really is an indifferent and quiet character who doesn't cry and mope all the time (thank god), but doesn't really have life to him in a sense.

So in the previous episode, she tried to push him away from the mill to make some local friends, although that was definitely a lot more difficult than expected. This time around, she hires Toya (who feels relieved that both her and Chagum are both alive and well after hearing rumors about their deaths), to do the job of helping Chagum be an errand runner (although not much really was done of that) and basically just, show Chagum around town and acclimate him to this new area and way of life that he has to live now, and show little bits of tricks on how to survive there by hustling a hekimoom vendor by getting a little discount for some delicious treats.

But the episode then focused on a little gambling game around the corner called Mon Jin Zen, a game where three coins will be spun and people have to bet on how many would land on the white side, but if all land on the black side, house wins everything.

In a normal episode like this where the content is original and not featured in the novels from what I've heard, this one normally would be a wacky, boring filler without much to offer in terms of interest. But not with this show, instead it shows just how much of a great writer and director Kenji Kamiyama can be when he's in his element.

What I loved about this episode the most was the subtle characterization of Chagum. We learn how observant he is, as he quickly spots the dark truth behind the business and how the game is operated as its rigged, and about how smart he is underneath the quiet, empathetic nature. He initially respects the men operating the business since it is their livelihoods despite the cloudy nature of it, and it has people enjoying the game too in the process despite the loss of money for each of them without them having much suspicion. He didn't want Toya to use him too, just because he knew of how the game would run.

But when he noticed that Toya wanted to help everyone once he learned about how the game was a scam by getting the money back for all of them, Chagum showed his empathetic nature there by intervening himself and standing up for everyone by challenging the business himself by having the balls and conviction to challenge them after being able to thoroughly expose the business of its fraudulent nature in multiple rounds of predicting the correct outcome which the crowd acknowledged too, as the game relies on the people running it to coordinate on an outcome. He even was willing to put his treasured necklace on the line that he got from his mother after escaping with Balsa, just to get the money back for everyone, and it paid off big time.

What I loved about this show initially was Balsa's character and nature as a protagonist, but what I've been really fascinated with even more in this rewatch is Chagum as a character. He's not a spoiled brat who places himself above his peers due to his former status as a prince, he's a noble in his attitude, courage and conviction. And Balsa quietly observing all of this in the background while gripping her spear incase the people running the business would threaten physical violence against him and Toya, was quite great too as she wants Chagum to experience life on his own accord without her having to drag him around all the time, while not wanting him harmed in the process. It's like a teacher wanting a student to get better without spoonfeeding information to them, since that truly builds character and intelligence a lot more effectively.
Apr 30, 2021 1:18 PM
Jan 2020
I'm glad Chagum not useless piece of sh*t. He really impressed me. Now I think I like him, no homo though.
Apr 8, 2022 12:08 AM

Jul 2016
jesus christ, this kid is straight up royal material... he's almost too upstanding and righteous, amazing character and episode. every episode is brilliant...
Jan 25, 2023 12:59 AM

Sep 2016
Chagum is really, I really love this kid.
Mar 20, 2023 2:07 PM

Jun 2020
I think I'm learning to like the slice of life nature of these past couple of episodes. It's nice learning more about the everyday lives of the Mikados subjects, you don't often see that in fantasy media. So long as the ending isn't rushed and the plot keeps plodding along in the background I think I can declare my confidence restored after episodes 7 and 8.
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Nov 28, 2023 8:25 PM

Apr 2016
This felt shorter than it was. Chagum was funny for being all patronizing, and the influence of Balsa on him is starting to show.
Aug 20, 9:30 AM

Apr 2017
Chagum is very intelligent to notice how the game was being rigged, and just how it would be rigged.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Aug 23, 2007

61 by Safrichh »»
Oct 16, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 18 Discussion

mild_even - Aug 14, 2007

34 by Safrichh »»
Oct 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 9, 2007

51 by Safrichh »»
Oct 5, 8:45 PM

» What do you think of Seirei no Moribito?

medicalmidget - Aug 19, 2011

16 by TransferUser »»
Sep 23, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Seirei no Moribito Episode 16 Discussion

Kayrhandros - Jul 31, 2007

47 by Safrichh »»
Sep 21, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.