Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2020 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, that Franklin and his monsters...

Also, it looks like Marie's opponent isn't a pushover either those music abilities. At least they're making the antagonists in this series somewhat more credible. Too bad I don't feel much for the main story at the way it's going. Marie's probably a breakout character in this show now though imo. I also felt bad for that princess with getting involved in all of this.
Stark700Mar 19, 2020 7:43 AM
Mar 19, 2020 9:02 AM

Feb 2019
I watch this weekly mainly because I’ve never dropped anything. Ever. But, it’s getting increasingly hard to watch an episode without being on my phone or going on twitter/FGO etc. It’s just not really holding my attention anymore. I find it pretty hard to care about the story these days.

It seems like we’re missing so much information that was clearly vital to the LN story....

At least they’re making the antagonists credible in these fights. I went from now caring about Marie to her being one of my faves. Decent episode overall.

Kinda funny to think the same studio that gave us Re:Zero also gave us this and Arifureta
Mar 19, 2020 9:03 AM
Oct 2016
Backstory filled episode seeing them for two different characters. Beginning with Marie was kinda sad how she had a great manga going then the magazine went under. Leading her to start her own but getting writer's block after reaching a certain point in the story. Dendrogram offering her a way to explore the character she created in the first person. Starting to produce results as she said with is great. Marie ended up kicking King of Orchestra ass in their fight. Defying his sound attack with her embryo negating all the sound with an explosion. Great job by Marie persevering.

The later backstory we got with Hugo got very surprising. A young French girl huh. Ok then, I can dig it. But seriously, it's an interesting way of mixing up some of the characters in Dendrogram use it as a literal escape from their world and a way to realize their dreams that couldn't be done irl. Pretty sad hearing Hugo irl backstory with her family breaking apart, not being able to protect them. Dendrogram being her way of atoning for that failure in her eyes. Next episode should be awesome with Hugo fighting Rook after the smack talk and Ray vs Franklin with the seething hatred Ray has for him.
Mar 19, 2020 9:11 AM

Aug 2013
It was interesting hearing the real life backstories for Marie and Hugo. I feel sorry for both of them. :(

Mar 19, 2020 9:35 AM

May 2018
Oh a couple of backstory, one was a down outta luck orchestra composer whom was currently engaging Marie Adler and the other was Marie Adler who real life was a mangaka who was suffering from mental block.....And a little girl whose family were dysfunctional and WTF was actually Hugo
Mar 19, 2020 9:41 AM

Oct 2010
Why backstories suddenly?
I mean they surely have backstories, but why showing it now and for that characters?
Like this show was not dragged and delayed enough.

I kinda understood Conductor and Mangaka stories but that 'Hardships of Little French Knight Wannabe'... Was it drama or comedy?

EDIT: I think I've got it. Author heard about 'Les Misérables' by Victor Hugo but never bothered to actually read the book.
geptorMar 19, 2020 9:50 AM
Mar 19, 2020 9:45 AM

Jan 2014
Why was Ray a robot when it came to knowing Hugo was on the other's side? He shows anger towards Franklin, but knowing that Hugo is on Franklin's side, he just accepts it? Wtf. I know they were only friends for a short period, but they had an understanding. Just feels like they should've added more than just say nothing at all, or just have a friend mention it.
Mar 19, 2020 9:53 AM
Jun 2016
Ellenwitch said:
Why was Ray a robot when it came to knowing Hugo was on the other's side? He shows anger towards Franklin, but knowing that Hugo is on Franklin's side, he just accepts it? Wtf. I know they were only friends for a short period, but they had an understanding. Just feels like they should've added more than just say nothing at all, or just have a friend mention it.

Maybe because he know hugo and Franklin in a same country lol
PapopitoadMar 19, 2020 10:21 AM
Mar 19, 2020 10:46 AM

May 2014
The brief glimpses of two other countries in the backstory flashbacks were nice. They barely ever get a mention in the anime.

Ellenwitch said:
You are right. Ray is a robot masquerading as a human being. That's the way he rolls. How else would the audience figure out that he is the generic hero?
Mar 19, 2020 10:53 AM

Jan 2014
Papopitoad said:
Ellenwitch said:

He could've at least shown some form of disgust, or shock from Hugo working with someone he hates and is angry towards though. Even if they are part of the same country, Ray knows Hugo from the time they spent together, so he could've questioned why he was going along with all this, despite who Hugo is.
Mar 19, 2020 11:08 AM

May 2014
Ellenwitch said:
Papopitoad said:

He could've at least shown some form of disgust, or shock from Hugo working with someone he hates and is angry towards though. Even if they are part of the same country, Ray knows Hugo from the time they spent together, so he could've questioned why he was going along with all this, despite who Hugo is.
Franklin is a designated villain, and the audience is supposed to treat him as a villain. Hugo is not. It is a way to manipulate the feelings of the viewers. Makes no sense in-universe, of course.
Mar 19, 2020 11:12 AM

Jan 2014
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Ellenwitch said:

Franklin is a designated villain, and the audience is supposed to treat him as a villain. Hugo is not. It is a way to manipulate the feelings of the viewers. Makes no sense in-universe, of course.

Which is more reason to why I felt Ray should've had more of a reaction. Not along the lines of hate of the same level as he does towards Franklin, or in general. But at least something. He didn't even question why he's working with such a villain. Just accepted it and moved on. He could've at least questioned it.
Mar 19, 2020 12:04 PM
Feb 2020
Ive been wanting to drop this anime ever since episode 5 and im confused on just about everything like did they just put hugo on the enemy side for no reason at all, i thought he was a good guy but i guess not. The pacing of every episode results in me becoming sidetracked and i really only watch this anime so i can say that i finished it when the time comes. Also im getting really annoyed by Ray when he says something leaves a bad taste in his mouth every f'ing episode, like they are npcs. Has ray ever played a video game in his life?
Mar 19, 2020 2:12 PM

Aug 2018
Franklin called him Dog-Ears was a mistake because now MC will go Badass Mode and kick HIS ass LIKE A BITCH
6/10
Mar 19, 2020 2:12 PM

Jun 2017
Eh we all knew Hugo was on the enemy side as it was heavily hinted..at least he let Ray through without much problem. I smell some backstabbing coming to Franklin.

It was cool to get some backstories but music guy was completely irrelevant lol.
Mar 19, 2020 2:32 PM

Jun 2015
Im not sure how they can wrap this up in the time left. So much story seems possible!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Mar 19, 2020 3:32 PM
Feb 2018
Notifications said:
Ive been wanting to drop this anime ever since episode 5 and im confused on just about everything like did they just put hugo on the enemy side for no reason at all, i thought he was a good guy but i guess not. The pacing of every episode results in me becoming sidetracked and i really only watch this anime so i can say that i finished it when the time comes. Also im getting really annoyed by Ray when he says something leaves a bad taste in his mouth every f'ing episode, like they are npcs. Has ray ever played a video game in his life?
couldn't have said it better, exactly how i feel myself. Feel like a chore to watch.
Mar 19, 2020 4:03 PM

Jul 2017
Marie Adler, once a NPC facade to Ray, is now one of the last hopes with her true self being a Superior Killers to lay off Dr. Franklin's lackeys in the city.

But instead of following that path, we get to their backstories instead. Marie being a mangaka and the King of Orchestras being a French Knight, entering Infinite Dendrogram for their own purposes...yea, the genericness rears its own ugly head. Even more than their Embryos, their job skill comes from the desires of their hearts, which becomes an in-game power...? Take that as you will.

On the issue of Hugo, it's clear that he's in cahoots with Franklin, even though it was hinted slowly with build-up. The dysfunctional backstory of a family disjointed, and the uncanniness of it all. The same with Marie is the similar effect of Hugo...just what does this game offer to them that reaps benefits?

Ray at this point is just being a robotic parrot (or more effectively a guide) to everything he sees, and he lives his actions dictated by others, which does not do his character well in the storyboard department, of which the damage has been done.

Now comes the inevitable as Dog-Ears Ray takes on Franklin, still feels they have "plot" to play through rather than taking it seriously.
Mar 19, 2020 4:58 PM
Jun 2016
Ellenwitch said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

Which is more reason to why I felt Ray should've had more of a reaction. Not along the lines of hate of the same level as he does towards Franklin, or in general. But at least something. He didn't even question why he's working with such a villain. Just accepted it and moved on. He could've at least questioned it.

The fact that both country is in a war state is enough to answer it
Franklin may be a Villain with Altar but a hero with Dryfe
It not like Ray doesn't understand a simple think like that
PapopitoadMar 19, 2020 5:11 PM
Mar 19, 2020 5:01 PM
Jun 2016
Kazuma_satou290 said:
Notifications said:
couldn't have said it better, exactly how i feel myself. Feel like a chore to watch.

At this point, if you still think they just a simple NPC you should drop it right now
Mar 19, 2020 5:12 PM
Feb 2020
Papopitoad said:
Kazuma_satou290 said:

At this point, if you still think they just a simple NPC you should drop it right now

No point in dropping an anime with like 2 episodes left and also like i get the fact that characters may develop feelings towards the npcs because of how sentient they are but at the end of the day if things got out of hand the devs would take care of it. While i watch the show i am constantly wondering what would happen if someone just happened to destroy the entire kingdom, would the devs just reset it or would the game just continue until another player comes along and starts one up. I know these questions are kind of irrelevant but the fact that the girl franklin kidnapped is an npc makes me wonder why people actually care, its not like they will receive a reward for getting her back and tbh they could just log out. In SAO the characters are actually people who will DIE so there is something at stake but in Infinite Dendrogram its just a really sentient robot.
Mar 19, 2020 5:33 PM
Jun 2016
Notifications said:
Papopitoad said:

No point in dropping an anime with like 2 episodes left and also like i get the fact that characters may develop feelings towards the npcs because of how sentient they are but at the end of the day if things got out of hand the devs would take care of it. While i watch the show i am constantly wondering what would happen if someone just happened to destroy the entire kingdom, would the devs just reset it or would the game just continue until another player comes along and starts one up. I know these questions are kind of irrelevant but the fact that the girl franklin kidnapped is an npc makes me wonder why people actually care, its not like they will receive a reward for getting her back and tbh they could just log out. In SAO the characters are actually people who will DIE so there is something at stake but in Infinite Dendrogram its just a really sentient robot.

Maybe because they don't treat her like a NPC lol
The game will continue even after one country or even the whole world was destroyed
The Dev never appears but 13 AI are the one take responsibility for game system
PapopitoadMar 19, 2020 5:38 PM
Mar 19, 2020 6:16 PM
Jan 2017
This episode didn't really advance the main story that much but it did deliver some backstories on the supporting characters. It's easy to see why the characters would use the game either as an escape from their problems, an opportunity to correct past mistakes or an opportunity to live as their idealized self. It might seem cheap, but hey, that's the power of escapism for you. Also, is Hugo a crossplayer? Wow. I had no idea. No problem with that, it's just that it came out of nowhere.

Still, I have a bit of trouble accepting Franklin's obsession with Ray. What does he want from Ray? Why is he so interested in him? The show didn't do a good job at developing this particular relationship, but future episodes could change that.

All in all, this episode was an improvement over the previous one and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Mar 19, 2020 7:34 PM

Nov 2017
HeroVladimir93 said:
This episode didn't really advance the main story that much but it did deliver some backstories on the supporting characters. It's easy to see why the characters would use the game either as an escape from their problems, an opportunity to correct past mistakes or an opportunity to live as their idealized self. It might seem cheap, but hey, that's the power of escapism for you. Also, is Hugo a crossplayer? Wow. I had no idea. No problem with that, it's just that it came out of nowhere.

Still, I have a bit of trouble accepting Franklin's obsession with Ray. What does he want from Ray? Why is he so interested in him? The show didn't do a good job at developing this particular relationship, but future episodes could change that.

All in all, this episode was an improvement over the previous one and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Hopefully you'll get what Ray did to annoy Franklin in the next ep,he did something wayyyy back in the beginning to upset Franklins plans,and it was hinted at in this episode.
Mar 19, 2020 7:55 PM
Jan 2017
Starhammer said:
HeroVladimir93 said:

Hopefully you'll get what Ray did to annoy Franklin in the next ep,he did something wayyyy back in the beginning to upset Franklins plans,and it was hinted at in this episode.

Does it have to do with Ray saving Liliana's sister from those creatures in episode 1? What does Franklin have to do with that?
Mar 19, 2020 9:22 PM
Jun 2016
HeroVladimir93 said:
Starhammer said:

Does it have to do with Ray saving Liliana's sister from those creatures in episode 1? What does Franklin have to do with that?

He is the one ask her go to the garden and the one create and release all worm semi-dragon in the garden to kill Liliana
But Ray and his brother ruin it
Mar 19, 2020 10:09 PM
Feb 2020
Papopitoad said:
Notifications said:

The game will continue even after one country or even the whole world was destroyed

In the first episode i felt like i was going to be able to relate to ray but then he kinda just became a generic wannabe hero. Also i didnt know those were 13 npcs, i thought those were actual players wth.
Mar 19, 2020 10:22 PM
Jun 2016
Notifications said:
Papopitoad said:

In the first episode i felt like i was going to be able to relate to ray but then he kinda just became a generic wannabe hero. Also i didnt know those were 13 npcs, i thought those were actual players wth.

He isn't wannabe hero, he just do what any human would do, save people when they in danger
They aren't NPC they are control AI, each of them has 1 role in a game system

The Cat Cherise guid the newbie
The guy with Wing create boss monster
Even the time Acceleration in game is made by A.I has a time control ability
Mar 20, 2020 1:14 AM

Oct 2008
hey cool! Marie Adler is a bit pretty badass huh!
4/5.

Mar 20, 2020 3:43 AM

Sep 2014
Papopitoad said:
Notifications said:

He isn't wannabe hero, he just do what any human would do, save people when they in danger

Being controlled by AI doesn't mean they aren't NPC, the definition still apply.
Nothing important. Keep scrolling.
Mar 20, 2020 4:49 AM
Jun 2016
joexmdq said:
Papopitoad said:

Being controlled by AI doesn't mean they aren't NPC, the definition still apply.

They are CONTROL AI, not being controlled by AI
Don't want to spoil but 2 of them actually are a player in game
Mar 20, 2020 7:52 AM
Feb 2018
Notifications said:
Papopitoad said:

you're right i see what you're trying to say but still I'm just sticking with it because there's only 2 more episodes and the opening is pretty good overall nothing more that this show has to offer to me at least, IDK maybe the LN is much better.
Mar 20, 2020 10:19 PM

Sep 2014
Papopitoad said:
joexmdq said:

Please use the spoiler tag if what you are saying wasn't showed yet.

Also, if you don't mind (and doing what I suggested), could you explain what are those "Control AI"? Because I can't get what are the differences you are pointing out between a NPC with AI and them.
Nothing important. Keep scrolling.
Mar 20, 2020 11:04 PM
Jun 2016
joexmdq said:
Papopitoad said:

Please use the spoiler tag if what you are saying wasn't showed yet.

Also, if you don't mind (and doing what I suggested), could you explain what are those "Control AI"? Because I can't get what are the differences you are pointing out between a NPC with AI and them.

Lol
No one said those NPC are AI,no one control NPC
All NPC in this game have their own free will

And 13 AI i was saying are fucking administrator of this game

The cat Cheshire is one of them and he also a player in the game
PapopitoadMar 20, 2020 11:21 PM
Mar 22, 2020 7:03 AM

Dec 2017
I wonder if they could make background stories even more boring and dull, but I doubt that was physically possible. I wish I didn't have a "watch it till the end no matter how bad it is" attitude.
Mar 26, 2020 2:34 AM

Oct 2017
So Hugo is a helpless young girl irl huh, that was surprising. Also Hugo and Rook's conversation made me think that what if Rook is Hugo's older sister lol.
Apr 4, 2020 4:26 PM

Nov 2009
Interesting Backstories.

I guess they wanted to explain and introduce some characters and why they end up playing the game.

Tho... never expected Hugo to be a Trap... and a upper class girl in RL at that...

___ ___ ___

And it is true that there's a lot of ppls that decide to focus in playing games to escape from reality, especially if this VR thing ever turns real.

Personally I would done the same and just play in a game at all time, lol. Cause RL sucks a lot ATM... just look at the news, shits everywhere everyday.

___ ___ ___

Also, I laugh every time Holmes introduce himself... "PIMP", LUUUUUL Seriously, which Dev decide to put that class into the game?
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 10, 2020 8:04 AM

Apr 2011
Wow. Hugo is actually a girl.
Apr 14, 2020 7:25 AM

Aug 2017
Looks like the episode was really rushed eventhough there is more information about the characters. Hugo being a girl is probably the most curious revelation of the episode.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 14, 2020 8:42 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Got 3 background story, with 2 of them related for main story development. Surprising how Marie and Hugo chars on game completely different in the real life. They got separated motives, some shit bad fate happen on their life, and ofc a game will be the best placed to dump all of your problem with a blurred non-existent hope. How ironic. How tragic.

More half duration of this episode just to explain the player reason entering Dendogram, which is somehow unnecessary for me. I mean, why your explain it just now? Is that any excuse to do that? Whatever, i dont enjoy this since the beginning.

I don't even get along with Marie power and her battle too. It just gone too sudden win, and not explain much how her power worked out. This series really focusing its detail on player back story, then, ugh. Lets see how Ray battle satisfy my boredom on this show.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 18, 2020 10:56 AM

Jan 2019
I don’t really know about this one. I found all the flashbacks to just kinda be annoying and put in randomly and I don’t feel any stakes when it comes to Franklin trying to start a war. But, let’s see where this goes
May 2, 2020 10:58 AM

Jul 2015
Quite a lot of backstories this episode but they were kind of boring as they don't really explain why they fight for certain things in-game

Jun 23, 2020 7:28 PM

Feb 2019
So far this is pretty boring. It all feels generic. But Marie's character is certainly interesting!
May 24, 2023 1:51 AM

Oct 2022
Since he used his 2 main attacks I wonder what will happen next episode, will he beat him and finally become the most generic MC or lose and have some development...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Infinite Dendrogram Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

33 by amf85 »»
Oct 23, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Infinite Dendrogram Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2020

90 by INKYLORE »»
Sep 21, 8:23 AM

Poll: » Infinite Dendrogram Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2020

172 by INKYLORE »»
Sep 21, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Infinite Dendrogram Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2020

79 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Sep 7, 9:24 AM

Poll: » Infinite Dendrogram Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

38 by james_lima »»
Aug 31, 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.