Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 23, 2020 10:33 AM

Feb 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, where to start? From the beginning will be "easier" i think.

This might be the worst anime opening i've ever seen, not even the song is any decent, the budweiser product placement reaaally annoyed the crap out of me, the animation looks like trash, Motoko drinking from the bottle, just walking with her head jumping from side to side, it looked really robotic, not that it was intentional, they can't even animate the characters talking, the flapping looks awful and their mouths don't even open to a decent size, it looks like all of these people have broken jaws, these just takes me out of the experience.

The tachikomas' animation on the other hand looked amazing, reminded me of the original SAC series.

The models are pretty banging, aside from Motoko, nothing works about her character design, the hair is too generic, her outfit is ridiculous and she looks super young, it's like he was trying to mimic the Arise design and make it even worst, i love Kuvshinov's art but it really doesn't suit the world of GiTS.

The writing doesn't seem half bad(have only watched up to ep2 so far) and the post-apocalyptic setting is very interesting, but the directing is really weird and off putting, it seems like this is the first time these guys ever heard of 3DCG(or their first time directing anything) and they want to show every little movement that the character does, Batou calls out Motoko then we see her walking the entire way to her car, start the engine and leave, the shot stayed 5 times as long as it needed, it wouldn't look as bad as it does if the shot composition was a bit better.

Also, mandatory ass shot.
The action scene was okay, the physics on the trucks tumbling over felt a bit videogamy, i don't really know what's wrong with it, but just a bit off mark.
The city at night on the Togusa scenes looked pretty great, and his character model also looks really good.
Really cool how they go into stealth mode.

PS: Cool looking dog at the end there.
SteelingMaxApr 25, 2020 2:51 PM

Apr 23, 2020 11:31 AM
Jun 2016
So Much "why" in this.

Also, the reviews for this giving 8/10, 9/10, that have watched 24/24 episodes,,,, how the future looking?
Apr 23, 2020 11:43 AM

Apr 2011
Let down by the first two episodes so far. Its not exaggerating to say this looks like an early 2000s video game cut scene(i guess remastered/slight modern touch up). I watched cgi berserk series, and enjoyed it despite its flaws. Not sure i can do that here.

What the hell is up with some of the best anime franchises getting these shit cgi series. Making me appreciate Arise more. Oh and whats with people reviewing this acting like they watched 24 episodes..... thats such a weird petty thing to do.
Apr 23, 2020 11:49 AM

Jul 2017
Fintan said:
Oh and whats with people reviewing this acting like they watched 24 episodes..... thats such a weird petty thing to do.

I did one of the reviews, and I'm waiting on them to change it to 12. I put the show on completed and waiting on MAL to change the count to 12 so my episodes can change to 12 of 12 episodes seen too. And it's on completed and not on hold since there is a MAL page for season 2 but that hasn't been fully approved yet to put on the plan to watch.
Apr 23, 2020 12:10 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm trying very to hard to remain even keeled and not go off on a massive angy rant...

Why Kamiyama? You did an amazing, memorable work with Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. In my view one of the finest anime series of all time. You raised the bar so high. And now this...

Again, again, again, why does all the good Seinen stuff get this crappy CGI? While the vehicles and backgrounds look ok, the characters remind of some crappy games I might have had on a CD-Rom back when George Bush was president. They cannot even move their mouths properly. WTF? In a production like this?!

First Berserk and now this. Why doesn't anyone tell these production committees that what fans like is that glorious hand animated art that Japanese studios can do so, so well. If Violet Evergarden and Demon Slayer can get it, why cannot series like this?? It cannot be for budgetary reasons since GITS is a fairly well liked property with crossover appeal. Is it a weird technology fetish (oh, if its cyberpunk then it has to be done on computers)? I just don't get it...Ugh...

Heartbreaking.

At least it's nice to hear the old voice actors reprising their roles. I cannot believe Osamu Saka can still work. Dude has been working since the 60's
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 23, 2020 12:25 PM

Feb 2015
Farabeuf said:
I'm trying very to hard to remain even keeled and not go off on a massive angy rant...

Why Kamiyama? You did an amazing, memorable work with Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. In my view one of the finest anime series of all time. You raised the bar so high. And now this...

The thing that makes me even angrier is that Gantz:0 came out in 2017 and it looked as good as a Pixar movie, why can't a series of the caliber of GiTS, one of the most influential series to ever come out of Japan not get the same treatment?

tonytakitany said:
So Much "why" in this.

Also, the reviews for this giving 8/10, 9/10, that have watched 24/24 episodes,,,, how the future looking?

The title of the discussion says Episode 1 discussion, everything i said was about episode 1, this wasn't a review of the whole series, if i did that, it would take me a bit longer than a couple of minutes to write, also this is a twelve episodes series, not twenty four.
SteelingMaxApr 23, 2020 12:46 PM

Apr 23, 2020 12:53 PM
Jun 2016
I was talking about the episode itself.
Apr 23, 2020 12:54 PM

Dec 2019
I'll admit I overreacted to the artwork when I first saw it. SAC had better artwork and graphics than this and would be preferred but I can get used to it.

The animation isn't as bad as I thought it'd be but the face expressions seem too bland at times.

I do like the setting and story setup. It remains to be seen if I will like how it plays out.

The main characters, including the Major and Batou feel the same which is also something I like. I was worried about how they'd be changed but the soul of their characters are intact.
Apr 23, 2020 12:54 PM

Feb 2015
GITS should be a flagship anime series. Who seriously thought full CGI series was a good idea. Honestly nobody will think this is better than than the original SAC so what's the point? GiTS deserves better than bargain bin CGI.

Why didn't they get WIT to make it, they did a fantastic job with Attack on Titan. This is a potential franchise killer.
Apr 23, 2020 12:57 PM

Mar 2019
I really dislike the opening theme and visuals. I was open to something upbeat and offbeat compared to the usual GiTS openings because you don't have to always do the same thing all the time, but I don't like this song at all. GiTS had such a nice streak going with the Origa stuff and the track used for Arise. This is a shame... Although, I guess it may grow on me. We'll see. The OP visuals are very lazy though and I doubt I'll ever like it. It was done with more style in the first film. Why would you bring back this Motoko creation scene in a visually inferior way? At the very least they should have animated something that isn't disconnected tonally from the upbeat track that's used.

Ending ED is pretty cool though.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the first episode. I am okay with CG to mix things up, although I think the implementation here looks rough. The mouths (at least in ep 1) didn't seem to be in sync with the Japanese dialogue. Can't really say much about the story since there was barely any of it here. They spent too much time on comedy.

tonytakitany said:

Make sure to toss that question to the people doing the same thing but giving it low reviews.

SteelingMax said:

The thing that makes me even angrier is that Gantz:0 came out in 2017 and it looked as good as a Pixar movie, why can't a series of the caliber of GiTS, one of the most influential series to ever come out of Japan not get the same treatment?

Again, why the fuck are we comparing a 1 and a half hour film to a series? No one with any brain cells is going to say why can't some random episode of Dragon Ball Super look as good at that Broly film. A more appropriate comparison would be Beastars, or that Ultraman series.
poemofdevilApr 23, 2020 1:02 PM
Apr 23, 2020 1:02 PM

Feb 2015
poemofdevil said:
Again, why the fuck are we comparing a 1 and a half hour film to a series? No one with any brain cells is going to say why can't some random episode of Dragon Ball Super look as good at that Broly film. A more appropriate comparison would be Beastars, or that Ultraman series.

One Punch Man S1, Mob Psycho 100, Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Kabaneri, Fate/Zero and Stay Night UBW all have movie level animation quality, why can't GiTS be the same.

Was the CG budget for Gantz:0 that big compared to this?

Apr 23, 2020 2:03 PM
Jan 2016
Really hope to see reviews that are not focused on the graphics. We get it, it sucks.
Apr 23, 2020 2:21 PM

May 2015
SteelingMax said:
One Punch Man S1, Mob Psycho 100, Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Kaban-eri, Fate/Zero and Stay Night UBW all have movie level animation quality, why can't GiTS be the same.

Was the CG budget for Gantz:0 that big compared to this?

Because it can’t... simple as that. The same way Berserk can’t either.

Also, most of all those series you mention don’t have movie level quality animation throughout all their episodes. Anyone that believes that to be true is in denial... Action and some key scenes might be elevated animation wise, but most regular scenes aren’t.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Apr 23, 2020 2:45 PM

Oct 2009
Even completely ignoring the unfitting character designs and the quality (or lack thereof) of the 3DCG animation I'm already wondering if I'll be able to stomach watching the whole thing.

Just reading the opening subtitles establishing the state of the world since SSS I was incensed by how stupid it reads.

"Using AI Code 1A84, the American Empire initiated war as an industry" what the fuck is this? It hasn't even gotten to the "post-human" bullshit from the trailers yet and it's already nonsense.

1 episode in and several characters already feel like they've been betrayed.

Section 9's only family man Togusa is now divorced.

The rest of Section 9 are all apparently totally on board with being mercenaries in a truly pointless war where their opponents are apparently just poor people. Batou loves this new lifestyle of war for war's sake, flying in the face of all his previously established development.

In Solid State Society Motoko has left Section 9 and gone solo because she doesn't feel fulfilled or as though she's making enough of a difference working inside the system, but she's eventually convinced to return and work within those limitations, but now she stays with Section 9 after it disbands and becomes a group of hired killers completely devoid of any higher purpose at all?

Other than the Tachikomas mostly looking the same the show's also failed to maintain the visual and audio identity of SAC, the tech doesn't look the same, the streets are now filled with holograms, cyborg endoskeletons don't look right, they didn't even keep the same thermoptic camoflage sound effects.

And of course, the very first time we see our main character is an incredibly in your face Budweiser product placement. Followed up in the same episode with a prominent Boss Black Coffee ad courtesy of Togusa.

SAC is my favourite Anime, I had been hoping for a continuation for more than a decade at this point but now I just wish it had never come, I was very happy that Arise for all its shortcomings at least wasn't actually in the same continuity as Stand Alone Complex but unfortunately I can't say the same about this.
Apr 23, 2020 2:49 PM

Dec 2019
TopgunUK said:

The rest of Section 9 are all apparently totally on board with being mercenaries in a truly pointless war where their opponents are apparently just poor people. Batou loves this new lifestyle of war for war's sake, flying in the face of all his previously established development.

In Solid State Society Motoko has left Section 9 and gone solo because she doesn't feel fulfilled or as though she's making enough of a difference working inside the system, but she's eventually convinced to return and work within those limitations, but now she stays with Section 9 after it disbands and becomes a group of hired killers completely devoid of any higher purpose at all

These are actually some great points, now that I think about it
Apr 23, 2020 2:51 PM
Apr 2020
TopgunUK said:
Even completely ignoring the unfitting character designs and the quality (or lack thereof) of the 3DCG animation I'm already wondering if I'll be able to stomach watching the whole thing.

Just reading the opening subtitles establishing the state of the world since SSS I was incensed by how stupid it reads.

"Using AI Code 1A84, the American Empire initiated war as an industry" what the fuck is this? It hasn't even gotten to the "post-human" bullshit from the trailers yet and it's already nonsense.

In Solid State Society Motoko has left Section 9 and gone solo because she doesn't feel fulfilled or as though she's making enough of a difference working inside the system, but she's eventually convinced to return and work within those limitations, but now she stays with Section 9 after it disbands and becomes a group of hired killers completely devoid of any higher purpose at all?

Other than the Tachikomas mostly looking the same the show's also failed to maintain the visual and audio identity of SAC, the tech doesn't look the same, the streets are now filled with holograms, cyborg endoskeletons don't look right, they didn't even keep the same thermoptic camoflage sound effects.

And of course, the very first time we see our main character is an incredibly in your face Budweiser product placement. Followed up in the same episode with a prominent Boss Black Coffee ad courtesy of Togusa.

SAC is my favourite Anime, I had been hoping for a continuation for more than a decade at this point but now I just wish it had never come, I was very happy that Arise for all its shortcomings at least wasn't actually in the same continuity as Stand Alone Complex but unfortunately I can't say the same about this.

Just think of this as a separate continuity instead of sequel to the SAC and you will be fine. The quality of this season doesn't degrade the quality of your your favorite anime just like the live action adaptations don't degrade the quality of the anime they were adapted from .
Apr 23, 2020 3:10 PM

Mar 2016
Just saw the first episode of SAC_2045. Honestly, I didn't like it at all... And I was one of the biggest defenders of this series.

SSS was already a compressed version of 3rd GIG and then they jump an entire financial crisis around the world, which would've been the perfect setting. to go to a setting that I would love to see a cyberpunk in but that does nothing in the first episode for it.

And Togusa is divorced? WTF DUDE? WHY?
Apr 23, 2020 4:17 PM

May 2012
Well this sure is quite the adjustment from going parts cgi to full cgi, and then mixing cell shading with global illumination is just weird for me as a hobbies game developer looking at this.

The models look fairly decent, but the textures just are not the best I've seen for a full cgi movie especially not with a name like Ghost In The Shell.

The collaboration they did to do the Altered Carbon full cgi movie was even better and I think it's because the learned a whole lot when making this to get it more flexible in that movie.

Yet still quite the adjustment, the OST feels really lacking again as this is GITS which normally has an ass kicking OST and this op and ed were really weak in terms of that. The opening animation however with even the subsurface scattering was amazingly well done and it really does look like they are using a whole lot of 'made practically more easy techniques for games' in this rather than cgi movie approaches, in other words this could pretty much have been rendered in unreal engine for what we know and none would be the wiser, yet for me it feels wrong and then also strange they didn't output this to 4K as they can petty much render it out in any resolution, it surely would take 4 times as long but with the right equipment that shouldn't be that tall of an order.

So yea I'll just try to adjust and see how the actual story will work out. One thing they did good in both this and the altered carbon is the very similar city like AR structure, always found it that AC had an inspirational take on GITS.

For now let's see how this first part of a two season series will work out!
Apr 23, 2020 4:53 PM

Feb 2010
Togusa got divorced...ouch I felt that.
Apr 23, 2020 6:11 PM

Jul 2017
They did my man Togusa dirty. It doesn't even service a purpose, it's like "remember all that time we spent showcasing Togusa as the human element in section 9 who was grounded and had a loving wife to go back home to, well too bad that marriage went to shit off screen".

Apart from that I'm trying to watch it with a fresh mind but something just feels off. The plot is even kind of interesting but the presentation messes it up for me. I went in really trying to like it because I'm starving for any kind of new GITS content but this was average at best and that's if I don't take into the consideration the visuals.
Apr 23, 2020 6:19 PM

Apr 2017
I genuinely don't understand users saying things like "it'll grow on me", or "I'll get used to it". Why does it have to be this way? Why should you have to force yourself to enjoy this garbage? This is so depressing.
Apr 23, 2020 10:26 PM

Oct 2017
Well unlike most people I actually didn't hate this new character design of Major. She looks pretty cute but her mature voice doesn't match this look.

Except Major the other character designs and movements were meh. I couldn't recognize Togusa untill he spoke and damn he got divorced, I hope he gets together with his wife again.

Pretty meh start, so not hoping that much from this.
Apr 24, 2020 5:28 AM

Nov 2016
I genuinely tried to go into this with an open mind, but jfl @ the opening and the weird introduction scene for Motoko.

As for the rest, it became watchable and even fun after I started pretending that this isn't really related to Ghost in the Shell..

Jokes aside and to be fair, it's too early to judge, since this episode was probably not a good indicator for what direction this new series could potentially take.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 24, 2020 9:52 AM

Jan 2016
Major looks like a VR chat avatar
Apr 24, 2020 10:38 AM

May 2015
Weren't the tachikomas supposed to be dead? Or did I forget something?
Apr 24, 2020 10:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
TopgunUK said:

You make great points that I agree with. After putting aside my ire for the visuals of the series, I'm of the view that SAC 2045 feels very dumbed down. Besides the absence in the nuances and complexities of the characters, the plot itself feels like a generic action series with cartoonish villains. The world building is cheap too. Feels like it was written by an amateur.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 24, 2020 12:06 PM
Oct 2009
TopgunUK said:

QFT. I'm done with this franchise. Nothing good has come from it since the las SAC. Arise, the live action movie and now this are all awful. I'm done.
Apr 24, 2020 12:37 PM

Feb 2007
The Syria experience right there in America. What goes around, comes around, I guess.

That beer sure was a Dud...
Apr 24, 2020 4:54 PM

Feb 2010
El-Melloi said:
When they supposedly "died" in 2nd gig you can see they uploaded their minds to the space the Major order them to allocate for the refugees then in Solid State Society(Movie follow up) they show up and it's revealed the Major recovered them.
Apr 24, 2020 8:46 PM

Jan 2015
Crashmatt said:
GiTS deserves better than bargain bin CGI.

Can people stop saying something so ignorant? The production quality of this anime is higher than most things that are associated with them. Its higher than most 3d anime, its very high quality 3D. And budget wise no doubt it cost much more than any version of 2d GITS wouldve cost.

And they really made use of 3D capabilities a lot and made scenes such that would be hard to do within 2d. The environments are very detailed and well lit.

Character designs - they are nice for 3d. It's a new, distinct look. All different GITS projects had different styles to them anyway, this is far from worst. It's something you just gotta get used to and give it a shot.
Apr 25, 2020 12:15 AM

Apr 2017
You're absolutely delusional if you think that this is high-quality 3DCG. The models are poorly rigged, matter has no weight to it, camera angles are arbitrary, actions have no impact, and - contrary to what you said - the lighting and shaders are very poor. Even if it had a better art style, it wouldn't stop everything looking uncanny. And don't get me started on "you've just got to get used to it and give it a shot"... If everyone thought this way, nothing would have any standards.
NeoTokyo404Apr 25, 2020 12:28 AM
Apr 25, 2020 12:57 AM

Jan 2015
NeoTokyo404 said:
You're absolutely delusional if you think that this is high-quality 3DCG. The models are poorly rigged, matter has no weight to it, camera angles are arbitrary, actions have no impact, and - contrary to what you said - the lighting and shaders are very poor. Even if it had a better art style, it wouldn't stop everything looking uncanny. And don't get me started on "you've just got to get used to it and give it a shot"... If everyone thought this way, nothing would have any standards.

Sorry i think youre biased and havent seen enough of the show. I completely disagree on everything you said and youre objectively wrong. You dont have a reasonable perspective, we are not comparing to Gantz:o or pixar here.
Apr 25, 2020 5:13 AM

Feb 2015
Frozenkex said:
Crashmatt said:
GiTS deserves better than bargain bin CGI.

Can people stop saying something so ignorant? The production quality of this anime is higher than most things that are associated with them. Its higher than most 3d anime, its very high quality 3D. And budget wise no doubt it cost much more than any version of 2d GITS wouldve cost.

And they really made use of 3D capabilities a lot and made scenes such that would be hard to do within 2d. The environments are very detailed and well lit.

Character designs - they are nice for 3d. It's a new, distinct look. All different GITS projects had different styles to them anyway, this is far from worst. It's something you just gotta get used to and give it a shot.

Totally dissagree. It would look fantastic if it was made in 2005 but by modern standards it piss poor. Movement is clunky and the lack of textures is embarrassing.

Ask yourself this, does it look better than the original GITS?

You have too wonder why any studio would make an inferior product knowing fans would hate it. So if it cost more as you claim then whats the point?
Apr 25, 2020 5:15 AM

May 2015
FreshIngredient said:
El-Melloi said:
When they supposedly "died" in 2nd gig you can see they uploaded their minds to the space the Major order them to allocate for the refugees then in Solid State Society(Movie follow up) they show up and it's revealed the Major recovered them.

Thanks for the explanation.
Apr 25, 2020 6:04 AM

Jul 2016
Honestly, not as bad as I thought it would be based on the trailer. The song used in the OP seems kind of... tonally dissonant... with the rest of SAC. Also, the Budweiser product placement was a bit daft, fair do's. I don't mind the animation. I think, for the most part, it works and the movement looks better than I was expecting. Lip flaps in certain scenes definitely need work though. At the very least I liked this a lot more than what I saw of the Arise series before I dropped it. The setting seems really interesting and it felt very much like I was watching SAC again. Good on 'em.

I'm gonna put this show on hold for now. I'm gonna wait and see if an English dub comes out because that's how I watched the rest of SAC and I like me some consistency.
Apr 25, 2020 9:56 PM

Jan 2015
Crashmatt said:

Totally dissagree. It would look fantastic if it was made in 2005 but by modern standards it piss poor. Movement is clunky and the lack of textures is embarrassing.

Okay, show me the standards? Or show me something similar from 2005?

or

How is movement clunky when most of it is mocapped - people walk clunky? Sorry.

There isnt a lack of textures, there are shitloads of textures everywhere, it's just not trying to be completely photorealistic.

It has its own distinct style, it's not cellshaded trying to emulate 2d, and its proper 24 fps, unlike cgi anime from Orange or Polygon pictures. It has a style where you dont need to see fucking pores on peoples faces, still has dynamic outlines that appear depending on angle.
But literally EVERYTHING else has textures - see this album made just for you , ofcourse they are tuned to fit the style, they are not supposed to be noisy and distracting like textures of a Skyrim mod. Doesnt look like its from 2005 huh?

The style is closer to something like Overwatch (a modern game). The lighting is pretty good. There is no aliasing - and i still often see aliasing on 3d objects even on Ufotable anime. The ui elements are great.

Original gits or original gits:sac? There is a lot that this does that original didnt do and couldnt do, the environments , the detail is much better than in original:sac. There is a lot that is done better feels more modern.

It's different. The advantage of 2d is that it can make characters more expressive, that's really about it.

I never thought character designs of originals were anything to write home about, gits:sac Major looked like stripper in 30s, so idc.

You have too wonder why any studio would make an inferior product knowing fans would hate it. So if it cost more as you claim then whats the point?

well most viewers whove seen it now dont hate it, stop projecting. There genuinely isnt much to hate. Why do it? To make a more modern and exciting project, that will pay off in a long run. Something more of the same would just attract old fans, and people dont really talk all that much about it.

If any existing franchise was one where 3d was appropriate then its GITS, that's why they have been trying to do something 3d for over a dozen of years, the Re-release of GITS had the very unpopular CGI sequences, then there was also that Virtual reality diver thing .
Apr 26, 2020 4:48 AM

Feb 2015
Frozenkex said:
Crashmatt said:

Okay, show me the standards? Or show me something similar from 2005?

or

How is movement clunky when most of it is mocapped - people walk clunky? Sorry.

There isnt a lack of textures, there are shitloads of textures everywhere, it's just not trying to be completely photorealistic.

It has its own distinct style, it's not cellshaded trying to emulate 2d, and its proper 24 fps, unlike cgi anime from Orange or Polygon pictures. It has a style where you dont need to see fucking pores on peoples faces, still has dynamic outlines that appear depending on angle.
But literally EVERYTHING else has textures - see this album made just for you , ofcourse they are tuned to fit the style, they are not supposed to be noisy and distracting like textures of a Skyrim mod. Doesnt look like its from 2005 huh?

The style is closer to something like Overwatch (a modern game). The lighting is pretty good. There is no aliasing - and i still often see aliasing on 3d objects even on Ufotable anime. The ui elements are great.

Original gits or original gits:sac? There is a lot that this does that original didnt do and couldnt do, the environments , the detail is much better than in original:sac. There is a lot that is done better feels more modern.

It's different. The advantage of 2d is that it can make characters more expressive, that's really about it.

I never thought character designs of originals were anything to write home about, gits:sac Major looked like stripper in 30s, so idc.

well most viewers whove seen it now dont hate it, stop projecting. There genuinely isnt much to hate. Why do it? To make a more modern and exciting project, that will pay off in a long run. Something more of the same would just attract old fans, and people dont really talk all that much about it.

If any existing franchise was one where 3d was appropriate then its GITS, that's why they have been trying to do something 3d for over a dozen of years, the Re-release of GITS had the very unpopular CGI sequences, then there was also that Virtual reality diver thing .

I'm not sure why you used hi score girl as an example nobody thinks that looks good.

A better example would have been the recent Drangon Quest film which looks very good.

I'm no projecting my opinion on anyone just look at the MAL score compared to the original SAC. 3d CGI will always be inferior to high end 2D animation. As I said I would love WIT studio to be given this project.

The majority of CGI anime looks awful and this is no exception. But if you like it, fine your opinion but I dont have to agree with you.
Apr 26, 2020 11:31 AM

Jan 2015
[quote=Crashmatt message=59682551
I'm not sure why you used hi score girl as an example nobody thinks that looks good.[quote]

Season 1 rating 8, s2= 8.27 . It's something you get used to quickly and it works. People dont hate it.

Second reason i used it as an example is that it's not from 2005 and Gits 2045 looks better in every way and production value and quality is much higher in every single area.

A better example would have been the recent Drangon Quest film which looks very good.

No that's exactly a bad example to compare to. IT'S A FILM, a movie, not series. Which means it has much shorter run time, much higher budget and took longer to make. (per run time) ( And it has significantly different style.

It was also very poorly received, it was a complete financial failure, it didnt make back the budget in the box office. 18$ million budget, 11$ million box office. For comparison FF:advent children (also a big failure for the time) had budget of 137$ million and grossed around 85$ mil in box office.
Shrek 2 cost less than 70$ mil and grossed over 900$ mil in box office.

What all of this means that "looking better" graphically doesnt correlate to success and critical reception. Even now you could say this incarnation of GITS is better received, the remaining hate is from people who hated it before it came out.

I'm no projecting my opinion on anyone just look at the MAL score compared to the original SAC

Both MAL score and Imdb scores have been increasing over past few days. The score isnt very high because of shitload of people giving ultra low scores like 1-3 without even watching it, because of their bias. And lol "mal rating"

The majority of CGI anime looks awful and this is no exception. But if you like it, fine your opinion but I dont have to agree with you.

You dont have to agree with me but what you said was objectively wrong, did you look at the album i posted? It looks as good or better than pretty much any 3d anime series with higher production value.
No its not made such way to save money, and no it doesnt look like something from 2005. It has a lot of detail and no there isnt absence of textures.
I've demonstrated it. You dont have to like it, but dont say what that which is factually wrong.
Apr 26, 2020 5:29 PM

Apr 2012
Had heard about the CG online and it's clearly not as bad as I'd thought. True the matte painting is a bit weird (especially the skin tones) and the lighting/space rendering is way to sharp (no blur/hazes/unfocusedness) but aside from that it was more than decent (even if the major's design feels like Rodriguez's Alita's somehow with being the only one with a cartoonish face among a more realist cast).

Was thrilled to have all the seiyuu back, like Tanaka Atsuko is still kicking (even if I was used to Maaya now lol).

Now plot and dialogues wise, this is were the franchise gets a serious blow. I know this is Netflix, but the whole cowboying it up thing, idk. That said I'm willing to reserve my judgement if the plot gets reasonably complex at some point. But yeah the general premise and characters were far from believable.

Cautiously optimistic still.
EratiKApr 27, 2020 10:39 AM
Apr 27, 2020 4:43 AM
May 2014
3D lol. End of discussion.
Apr 27, 2020 10:34 AM
Jan 2017
Waiting for the English dub as it seems to be the original SAC voice actors. Any One know when this will be? Netflix just says English pending
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

That way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody. If anybody wanted to tell me something they'd have to write it on a piece of paper and shove it over to me. They'd get bored as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with having conversations for the rest of my life
Apr 27, 2020 8:58 PM

Jul 2014
Worst music in the history of anime.

Mostly fine aside from the Major looking like a Japanese sex doll and the Tachikoma being Doctor Who TARDIS with enough room to transform, store huge amounts of ordnance and a passenger, with armor and some sort of magical power source.
Apr 28, 2020 3:03 AM

Apr 2017
Frozenkex said:
Even now you could say this incarnation of GITS is better received

By whom? Even the critical reception of this series has been very poor. Reviews by Polygon, The A.V. Club, Den of Geek, Decider and Ready Steady Cut are just some examples. On any rating website that I can find, this series is rated lower than every GitS iteration before - including the 2017 film. Who are you trying to fool exactly?

The score isnt very high because of shitload of people giving ultra low scores like 1-3

Surely, then, that will help to counterbalance users that are rating it as though it were a masterpiece (10).

You dont have to agree with me but what you said was objectively wrong

In all honesty, Frozenkex, I know you think you're really intelligent and that your opinion matters more than others here, but none of what you say is actually objective. In my opinion, and in the opinion of many others, this show is shit and it looks terrible. Defend it all you like, but I will never consider it as a true addition to the franchise.
Apr 28, 2020 7:05 AM

Jan 2015
[quote=NeoTokyo404 message=59696269]
Frozenkex said:
Who are you trying to fool exactly?

critic reviews range from 3-4 stars. This is not terrible at all.
The score isnt very high because of shitload of people giving ultra low scores like 1-3

i dont know how you are with maths, but rating 1 does more to affect the rating than rating 10, compared to 7-8 rating. Furthermore people giving it decent rating have actually seen it, and are more justified to give any rating than those who havent. Pretty logical huh?

Haters giving it 1 without watching are invalid ratings lmao.

but none of what you say is actually objective. .

Its pretty objective that graphics are better than that of 2005 equivalents, it's objective that there isnt a lack of textures.

What is also objective is that youre shitting on the show without having watched it. Your mal shows you havent even completed the original GITS SAC. Youre just a hater, so what you consider "true addition" is irrelevant.
Apr 28, 2020 10:56 PM

Oct 2010
The cg is not even the biggest problem here. What a let down. Did they forget that major is a full cyborg? She can't drink beer or eat apples. Oh well, screw that, we have explosions. I won't talk about the nonsensical story here
Apr 29, 2020 4:36 PM

Oct 2013
The 3DCG fits GITS perfectly, overall great visuals despite what all the nay-sayers try to bitch about.

Looking forward to watching the rest.
May 1, 2020 7:18 AM

Apr 2009
Dudweiser? LOL

I dont mind the CGI, except for Batou and Ishikawa who look more or less the same from the other series, Major looks like less goth version of Mavis from Hotel Transylvania, Stan appears as Chris Tucker from the 90's in my eyes, Saito is less grizzled, almost babyface, while Togusa has this Korean TV ajusshi vibe, and Aramaki's hair is like a cloud or a white cotton candy. I'm not complaining...just mindlessly nitpicking! XP At least the AR/VR UI displays looks nice.

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 1, 2020 2:46 PM

Oct 2017
So, they started releasing Let's Play videos as "anime"?
Where can i get the game? I haven't touched my PSP in ages...
May 3, 2020 11:31 PM

Feb 2012
Abysmal. May watch for another episode whenever I feel masochistic, but right now I'm too set back by the sheer stupidity of this show.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 5 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 24, 2020

11 by abystoma2 »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:37 PM

» This series got way too much hate

Tyrannicswine117 - Feb 21, 2021

26 by SametTakao »»
Nov 9, 2023 4:33 AM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tsarko - Apr 24, 2020

59 by Shawn_Shambley »»
Jul 9, 2023 6:38 AM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 11 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 25, 2020

11 by naturalbrawler »»
Jun 3, 2023 11:59 PM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 10 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 25, 2020

20 by naturalbrawler »»
Jun 3, 2023 11:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.