Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 6, 2017 1:16 PM

Jun 2015
I have watched a few eps, but who the fuck is alice?

is alice the name for their powers? like in alice academy?
Jun 6, 2017 7:45 PM

Dec 2014
well kinda their powers are called alice dreams...what I decipher from all of this is that they compare it to Alice in Wonderland call the power in terms of the weirdness as seen in the Alice in wonderland
Jun 25, 2017 4:09 PM
Jul 2015
After the last episode, I'd say Sana is Alice.
Jun 25, 2017 4:37 PM

Sep 2011
JakkoFourEyes said:

I'm not so sure. If Sana were given the power of Wonderland I would be inclined to agree, but since she was born in Wonderland we can't say that she is Alice with any clear confidence. Alice was always an external force, and some can interpret the original story to mean that Alice gave birth to Wonderland. In such a case the Dreams of Alice naming is quite apt since it appears that all of these fragments of power originate from Wonderland (if I interpreted this series' story correctly).

As they explained in episode 11 Sana originated from Wonderland as a means of exploring the real world. There's really no way she could be Alice.

To answer the OP's question, we have likely not yet been introduced to Alice, and I don't think we ever will considering the performance of this series.
Jun 25, 2017 4:53 PM
Jul 2015
Shirasho said:
JakkoFourEyes said:

I'm not so sure. If Sana were given the power of Wonderland I would be inclined to agree, but since she was born in Wonderland we can't say that she is Alice with any clear confidence. Alice was always an external force, and some can interpret the original story to mean that Alice gave birth to Wonderland. In such a case the Dreams of Alice naming is quite apt since it appears that all of these fragments of power originate from Wonderland (if I interpreted this series' story correctly).

As they explained in episode 11 Sana originated from Wonderland as a means of exploring the real world. There's really no way she could be Alice.

Hmm, I see your point. However the final lines in the final episode indicate that she is, though they are still a bit vague about.
I'm not quite sure how to word it but to quote one of the final lines

Sorry if this seemed messy, I found it quite hard to put it into words properly.
They could've done a better job at telling who Alice is, but all we have is this and seeing how it ended, I doubt we'll get a second season. That's fine by me, it ended in a good way and to have a second season will kinda ruin that ending for me.
Jun 25, 2017 5:11 PM

Jan 2014
JakkoFourEyes said:
Shirasho said:

Hmm, I see your point. However the final lines in the final episode indicate that she is, though they are still a bit vague about.

Sorry if this seemed messy, I found it quite hard to put it into words properly.
They could've done a better job at telling who Alice is, but all we have is this and seeing how it ended, I doubt we'll get a second season. That's fine by me, it ended in a good way and to have a second season will kinda ruin that ending for me.

I had always assumed Alice was just a way of referencing "Alice in Wonderland" with this so called Alice being the imagination of anyone and everyone.

But I guess Sana could be Alice. In that case, I want my Mad Hatter, cat, twins, mouse, etc.

Edit: I guess the girl twins ARE the twins. Derp xD And I believe there was a mouse at one point. The pig = cat? As for Mad Hatter.. idk.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jun 25, 2017 5:18 PM
Jul 2015
Zelev said:
JakkoFourEyes said:

I had always assumed Alice was just a way of referencing "Alice in Wonderland" with this so called Alice being the imagination of anyone and everyone.

But I guess Sana could be Alice. In that case, I want my Mad Hatter, cat, twins, mouse, etc.

Edit: I guess the girl twins ARE the twins. Derp xD And I believe there was a mouse at one point. The pig = cat? As for Mad Hatter.. idk.

The cat was sort of in there, though only on the door in the last episode. The bunny was most certainly there, as he is fairly important in the latter half of the series.
Also the title of the anime is also kind of a giveaway that Sana is Alice. The anime is about (mostly) Sana and Zouroku, there's not really someone else that can be Alice, not in the way J.C. Staff did this anyway. If they did mean Alice in Wonderland, it would be a weird title 'Alice in Wonderland and Zouroku'. It would also still leave the question of who Alice is.
JakkoFourEyesJun 25, 2017 5:23 PM
Jun 25, 2017 5:36 PM

Sep 2011
JakkoFourEyes said:
Zelev said:

The cat was sort of in there, though only on the door in the last episode. The bunny was most certainly there, as he is fairly important in the latter half of the series.
Also the title of the anime is also kind of a giveaway that Sana is Alice. The anime is about (mostly) Sana and Zouroku, there's not really someone else that can be Alice, not in the way J.C. Staff did this anyway. If they did mean Alice in Wonderland, it would be a weird title 'Alice in Wonderland and Zouroku'. It would also still leave the question of who Alice is.

I feel sort of silly for not considering the title, but if we consider that what we saw was only part 1 of a much larger story it could be left open for interpretation that Alice and Zoroku could have some major influence on each other but that interaction has yet to happen. I do understand this theory could be stretching it a little and I don't know the source myself.

If Sana is indeed Alice I feel like one of two things happened:
1) Mistranslation of the series title on a massive scale like that of Attack on Titan (that is NOT what Shingeki no Kyoujin means in any context or twisted translation). In this case, however, the issue comes with giving everything away in the title instead of a literal mistranslation.
2) The author didn't really understand the original story of Alice in Wonderland.

If #2 is what happened and Sana really is Alice it just re-enforces my view that this series really dropped the ball. If you are going for the Alice in Wonderland theme, or any derivative of this kind, you need to have the underlying elements be consistent with the original work. Just pulling parts feels really half-assed and shallow.
Jun 25, 2017 5:45 PM
Jul 2015
Shirasho said:
JakkoFourEyes said:

I feel sort of silly for not considering the title, but if we consider that what we saw was only part 1 of a much larger story it could be left open for interpretation that Alice and Zoroku could have some major influence on each other but that interaction has yet to happen. I do understand this theory could be stretching it a little and I don't know the source myself.

1) Mistranslation of the series title on a massive scale like that of Attack on Titan (that is NOT what Shingeki no Kyoujin means in any context or twisted translation). In this case, however, the issue comes with giving everything away in the title instead of a literal mistranslation.
2) The author didn't really understand the original story of Alice in Wonderland.

If #2 is what happened and Sana really is Alice it just re-enforces my view that this series really dropped the ball. If you are going for the Alice in Wonderland theme, or any derivative of this kind, you need to have the underlying elements be consistent with the original work. Just pulling parts feels really half-assed and shallow.

I think that the author just wanted to use the names. Can't say I mind it, because I enjoyed it for what it was.
I don't quite get what you mean by the first point. Alice to Zouroku literally means Alice and Zouroku. 'To' being the japanese word for 'and' (I think). Though I don't think the series title gives everything away. I don't think they meant who Alice was to be a secret, they just weren't clear at all about it. Or they thought we'd make a link somehow. 'Young blond girl, wonderland, must be Alice.' Idk, maybe that's what they wanted us to think.
But I do think Sana's real name is Alice. Remember that Sana was a name given to her by the twins.
But yeah, this anime hasn't been the clearest on a couple of things.
JakkoFourEyesJun 25, 2017 5:50 PM
Jun 25, 2017 6:07 PM

Sep 2011
JakkoFourEyes said:
Shirasho said:

I think that the author just wanted to use the names. Can't say I mind it, because I enjoyed it for what it was.
I don't quite get what you mean by the first point. Alice to Zouroku literally means Alice and Zouroku. 'To' being the japanese word for 'and' (I think). Though I don't think the series title gives everything away. I don't think they meant who Alice was to be a secret, they just weren't clear at all about it. Or they thought we'd make a link somehow. 'Young blond girl, wonderland, must be Alice.' Idk, maybe that's what they wanted us to think.
But I do think Sana's real name is Alice. Remember that Sana was a name given to her by the twins.

You are correct in that `to` is a connection particle which translates closely to the English `and`. That's not what I meant though. While Attack on Titan had a colossal mistranslation issue I brought up the thought that Alice to Zouroku mistranslated in that whoever translated the title to English did not consider that changing the title to be what it is could introduce massive spoilers. This works on the assumption that who Alice is was supposed to be a secret to begin with, and I'm not entirely convinced it is which is why I lean closer towards #2.

I believe that Sana is supposed to be Alice, but as an outsider looking in I don't believe that is who Alice is supposed to be. The Alice in Wonderland "simile" (I don't know the proper word for this) stops halfway and they bend the story a little too much.

On the other hand we could be looking into this way too deeply. I get the Wonderland comparison and why they called the powers "dreams of Alice", but the title makes things really messy. It brings up a lot of questions as the OP has clearly done.
Jun 26, 2017 5:19 AM
Jul 2015
Shirasho said:
JakkoFourEyes said:

You are correct in that `to` is a connection particle which translates closely to the English `and`. That's not what I meant though. While Attack on Titan had a colossal mistranslation issue I brought up the thought that Alice to Zouroku mistranslated in that whoever translated the title to English did not consider that changing the title to be what it is could introduce massive spoilers. This works on the assumption that who Alice is was supposed to be a secret to begin with, and I'm not entirely convinced it is which is why I lean closer towards #2.

I believe that Sana is supposed to be Alice, but as an outsider looking in I don't believe that is who Alice is supposed to be. The Alice in Wonderland "simile" (I don't know the proper word for this) stops halfway and they bend the story a little too much.

On the other hand we could be looking into this way too deeply. I get the Wonderland comparison and why they called the powers "dreams of Alice", but the title makes things really messy. It brings up a lot of questions as the OP has clearly done.

Yeah, I agree with that. I don't think it was meant to be a secret, they just weren't clear at all about it.
Tbh they could've named Sana and Wonderland anything and nothing would change. Maybe they just wanted to attract more attention to it by using those names.
Jun 27, 2017 7:43 AM
Oct 2014
Technically its Sana-chan, since the world she created or was born in is called wonderland, and since the powers are born for that mystical wonderland, and wonderland is like a dream of sana-chan, so are the powers dreams.
Hence dreams of alice.
Nov 16, 2018 6:33 PM
失礼、噛みました

Oct 2016
Seriously whether you were quoting this song on purpose or not, this title is seriously making me laugh because of this goldie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrfovOPcjk
Nov 17, 2018 4:38 PM

Jun 2015
z1R said:
Seriously whether you were quoting this song on purpose or not, this title is seriously making me laugh because of this goldie:

I didnt even know a song like that existed
Nov 17, 2018 4:54 PM
失礼、噛みました

Oct 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
z1R said:

Haha man you made my day :D
Mar 24, 2019 5:37 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
z1R said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

Haha man you made my day :D

Same here, catchy song for sure.
Mar 24, 2019 5:46 PM

Jan 2019
Alice is a the world sana is born in and is the manifestation of her creation
I'm new.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

114 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 21, 2023 11:02 PM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2017

60 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 20, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2017

203 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 19, 2023 10:32 PM

» Deserves a second season.

Botan-Chan45 - May 3, 2018

2 by Hofner1962 »»
Aug 31, 2023 10:11 PM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2017

50 by cat_of_hell »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.