Forum Settings
Forums

Netflix Announces 'Mushikago no Cagaster' Anime Adaptation

New
Nov 8, 2018 12:27 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Global video streaming platform Netflix announced an anime adaptation of Kachou Hashimoto's sci-fi adventure manga Mushikago no Cagaster (Cagaster of an Insect Cage) on Thursday. The announcement was made at the company's See What's Next: Asia media event in Singapore. Kouichi Chigira (Full Metal Panic!, Last Exile) will direct the anime at studio Gonzo.

Synopsis
In a near future, an illness called "Cagaster" made ​​its appearance, which turns humans into insects. The story begins 30 years after the onset of the illness, in 2125. It follows the adventures of Kidou, a boy who fights insects.

Hashimoto originally published the manga on his official website Chicken no Tamashii under the pseudonym Hashimoto Chicken from 2005 to 2013. The author began distributing a revised version of the series as doujinshi at Comiket conventions in 2010, releasing a total of nine volumes. Tokuma Shoten officially published the manga in seven tankoubon volumes under its Ryu Comics imprint between January and June 2016.

Mushikago no Cagaster has also been published in multiple foreign languages, including French and Spanish. It won the French Prix Mangawa's Shounen Manga Award in 2015.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Mushikago no Cagaster on MAL
tsubasaloverNov 29, 2018 3:19 PM

Nov 8, 2018 12:37 AM

Apr 2013
So a, in my opinion, rather unknown and also finished manga gets an adaption. That's pretty rare, the story also sounds kinda weird.
Nov 8, 2018 12:38 AM

Jan 2016
More Netflix Anime adaptations is always welcome
Nov 8, 2018 12:43 AM

May 2015
Judging by the synopsis it seems like Kafka's The metamorphosis got a spin-off
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Nov 8, 2018 12:46 AM

Apr 2016
Detective1412 said:

They actually are, but only if they will release those anime globally.
Nov 8, 2018 12:51 AM
Jan 2016
I am always worried about CGI anime. The director is quite decent though.

Detective1412 said:

When it's a Netflix anime & there's not one exceptional staff involved in it, I am always worried.
Nov 8, 2018 1:32 AM

Nov 2007
4 more? "animation" added
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1541666158
tsubasaloverNov 8, 2018 2:22 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 8, 2018 2:31 AM

Oct 2018
The manga is a pretty nice read, but I'm also worried about it being a Netflix adaptation. It's probably not going to be one for the books.
Nov 8, 2018 3:00 AM

Feb 2007
Manga has been quite interesting so far, now let's hope Gonzo won't screw it up as they like to.
Nov 8, 2018 3:06 AM

Aug 2015
Aaaah.... I've read this manga pretty much long ago.. though it's pretty nice, I never expect that it would became an anime this soon..

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Nov 8, 2018 3:54 AM

Aug 2013
MScientist0 said:
The manga is a pretty nice read, but I'm also worried about it being a Netflix adaptation. It's probably not going to be one for the books.

I think Netflix just gives money to a studio to make an anime for them. It's not like they're directing/writing it.
Nov 8, 2018 4:58 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Throwing this out here, since it looks like MAL is scared of western names involved in anime, there's 2 other anime announced.

One of them is named Yasuke, based on a samurai of African origin who served under Oda Nobunaga during Japan's Warring States period in the 16th century.

The story of this one :
In a war-torn feudal Japan of mechs and magic, a retired ronin must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate.

This one is animated by MAPPA. LeSean Thomas is the director, executive producer and the creator of the anime. Flying Lotus will produce the music and Lakeith Stanfield will voice Yasuke. (most likely going to have japanese dub since its Netflix so dont worry dub haters)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second is an anime based on Altered Carbon series from Netflix and will be written by Dai Sato (Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Ergo Proxy, Eureka Seven) and Tsukasa Kondo. The anime will be produced by studio Anima.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theres 2 more but these one are definitly not anime so in their case thats fine. (But one of them is a Pacific Rim animated series!)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-08/netflix-reveals-3-anime-works-by-japanese-studios-pacific-rim-animated-show/.139210
Nov 8, 2018 5:23 AM

Apr 2018
Welp kakegurui and violet evergarden were done pretty well so this one will too i presume
Nov 8, 2018 5:45 AM
Nov 2018
I like films that Netflix do very much
It is very interesting
Nov 8, 2018 8:01 AM

Jun 2013
garydai said:
MScientist0 said:

I think Netflix just gives money to a studio to make an anime for them. It's not like they're directing/writing it.

They're just distributing the series digitally worldwide, Original mean Exclusive series. Who gives money to studio are the Production Committee, and Netflix aren't none of them.

Akerakai said:
Welp kakegurui and violet evergarden were done pretty well so this one will too i presume

Neither both series has anything to do with this adaptation.

Detective1412 said:

This isn't Netflix adaptation, this is Gonzo and Production Committee work, Netflix is just distributing.
----
Too much disinformation here.
Nov 8, 2018 8:07 AM

Jan 2016
BlackScience said:
Detective1412 said:

This isn't Netflix adaptation, this is Gonzo and Production Committee work, Netflix is just distributing.
----
Too much disinformation here.

Nah, seems like you don't get it.
Nov 8, 2018 10:43 AM

Jun 2013
Detective1412 said:

Nah, seems like you don't get it.

I realized after a while, sorry.
Nov 8, 2018 2:44 PM
May 2016
DatRandomDude said:
Throwing this out here, since it looks like MAL is scared of western names involved in anime, there's 2 other anime announced.

One of them is named Yasuke, based on a samurai of African origin who served under Oda Nobunaga during Japan's Warring States period in the 16th century.

The story of this one :
In a war-torn feudal Japan of mechs and magic, a retired ronin must take up his sword when he is charged with the task of transporting a mysterious child who dark forces want to eliminate.

This one is animated by MAPPA. LeSean Thomas is the director, executive producer and the creator of the anime. Flying Lotus will produce the music and Lakeith Stanfield will voice Yasuke. (most likely going to have japanese dub since its Netflix so dont worry dub haters)

The second is an anime based on Altered Carbon series from Netflix and will be written by Dai Sato (Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Ergo Proxy, Eureka Seven) and Tsukasa Kondo. The anime will be produced by studio Anima.

Theres 2 more but these one are definitly not anime so in their case thats fine. (But one of them is a Pacific Rim animated series!)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-08/netflix-reveals-3-anime-works-by-japanese-studios-pacific-rim-animated-show/.139210

That sounds awesome, thank you for informing me about this.
Nov 12, 2018 3:27 AM

Mar 2014
The art in the manga is impressive and I hate Gonzo's adaptations.
Nov 12, 2018 5:15 AM
Nov 2018
....It would be better if they filmed the seven deadly sins
Nov 15, 2018 11:29 AM
Nov 2018
Vindstot said:
Global video streaming platform Netflix announced an anime adaptation of Kachou Hashimoto's sci-fi adventure manga Mushikago no Cagaster (Cagaster of an Insect Cage) on Thursday. The announcement was made at the company's See What's Next: Asia media event in Singapore. Kouichi Chigira (Full Metal Panic!, Last Exile) will direct the anime at studio Gonzo.

Synopsis
In a near future, an illness called "Cagaster" made ​​its appearance, which turns humans into insects. The story begins 30 years after the onset of the illness, in 2125. It follows the adventures of Kidou, a boy who fights insects.

Hashimoto originally published the manga on his official website Chicken no Tamashii under the pseudonym Hashimoto Chicken from 2005 to 2013. The author began distributing a revised version of the series as doujinshi at Comiket conventions in 2010, releasing a total of nine volumes. Tokuma Shoten officially published the manga in seven tankoubon volumes under its Ryu Comics imprint between January and June 2016.

Mushikago no Cagaster has also been published in multiple foreign languages, including French and Spanish. It won the French Prix Mangawa's Shounen Manga Award in 2015. https://inro.in/showbox/ https://inro.in/mobdro/ https://inro.in/tutuapp/

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

That's pretty rare, the story also sounds kinda weird.
Oct 22, 2019 8:42 PM

Nov 2007
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/352526

More Casts announced
OP: "Be ZERO" by Hilcrhyme
ED: "Okubyou na Ookami 2019 (臆病な狼 2019)" by Hilcrhyme
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/363304
tsubasaloverJan 15, 2020 11:16 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

More topics from this board

» 'Lazarus' Unveils Main Staff, Cast, 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Oct 18

26 by deg »»
41 minutes ago

» Manga 'Watashi wo Tabetai, Hitodenashi' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

8 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» 'Doraemon' Voice Actress Nobuyo Ooyama Dies at 90

Vindstot - Oct 11

17 by luffysenchou »»
7 hours ago

» 'Salaryman ga Isekai ni Ittara Shitennou ni Natta Hanashi' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Second Promo for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Oct 20

1 by gary598byers »»
9 hours ago

» Webtoon 'The Beginning After The End' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - Oct 19

32 by subahokke »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.