Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 24, 2018 6:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
New episode just following the same pattern as the previous one, but this time focusing on Yang's backstory instead of Reinhardt's. I felt that even though they did a good job, they rushed things a bit and I'm not sure that people who are meeting the material for the first time will get what it is Yang did at El Facil and the importance it has in his life. They also did some changes to how he got promoted. He didn't jump directly to Commodore from Lieutenant. That's 3 ranks, not 2.

That little cameo in El Facil was gorgeous. Looking forward to see her adult sized.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 24, 2018 6:46 AM

Jul 2015
Farabeuf said:
I felt that even though they did a good job, they rushed things a bit and I'm not sure that people who are meeting the material for the first time will get what it is Yang did at El Facil and the importance it has in his life. They also did some changes to how he got promoted. He didn't jump directly to Commodore from Lieutenant. That's 3 ranks, not 2.

El Facil was just a reference of a past achievement in the old OVA. Most of this episode was actually only told in detail on Gaiden OVA.

Unfortunetly, the Gaiden OVA took several episodes to tell the same thing we got today, but for first time watchers it would bore them to death if it was that slow.

Apr 24, 2018 6:53 AM

Jul 2017
Whilst I preferred the last episode, this was a very solid episode reflecting on some backstory for Yang Wen-li. I felt that the pacing was a bit rushed but the content was enjoyable in itself to witness.
Apr 24, 2018 6:58 AM

Sep 2014
I was surprised that they actually showed the El Facil incident in this since it was always mentioned in the old main OVA series and there was also a certain particular scene which we will probably see again through flashbacks. Anyway, I liked that they also showed the friendship Yang developed with Jean and Jessica while he was in the Military Academy. And I will say it again now that he officially debuted. Julian is the only character who looks really awful with the new art style.
Apr 24, 2018 7:02 AM

Sep 2016
They actually showed stuff about El Facil. I think it's just backstory reference without actual scene in the original?
Julian looks way too shota wtf
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 24, 2018 7:11 AM

Feb 2013
He really likes history, not bad.
Apr 24, 2018 7:12 AM
Jan 2014
GangsterCat said:
They actually showed stuff about El Facil. I think it's just backstory reference without actual scene in the original?
Julian looks way too shota wtf

I am sure present Julian wont look so young. This is most likely a few months after El Facil mind you. Fredrica was a highschooler at that time as we saw in her cameo.
So it makes sense that Julian will be a kid.

It all ends when the higurashi cry.

Apr 24, 2018 7:14 AM

Dec 2014
Good episode again.

We got Wang's backstory and his rise up the free planet alliance's millitary and it was pretty cool to watch. Looks like he took on a pupil as well.

We got introduced to Jean and Jessica as well.
Real shame that Jean had to die. Was he already engaged to Jessica when he died or did he after it? From what I saw in this episode it looked like he died after getting engaged to Jessica.
Apr 24, 2018 7:26 AM
Apr 2018
This episode was.... okay. They did a good job making us care about Lapp and Jessica here, but I would have liked to see less flashback and more of the immediate aftermath of episode 1 and 2 like they did in Reinhard’s episode. We’re going to be staying with the FPA and introducing the 13th fleet next week, which should be fun.
Apr 24, 2018 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
Really enjoyed through Yang Wenli's side although it rushed abit than original but still fits well imo. BTW, hopefully next episode should also focus on Yang's side since this episode ended with cliffhanger! :O
Apr 24, 2018 7:30 AM
Apr 2018
The only problem for me here is Yang Tai Long doesn't look Chinese enough.
Apr 24, 2018 8:02 AM

Sep 2008
Intresting. I thought this episode would be about what next episode seems to be but they decided to talk about Yang's backstory. It was good episode even if it felt somewhat rushed in some scenes. I guess that is what you get when you have to condense several years to 25 minutes.
Apr 24, 2018 8:11 AM

Dec 2015
Good episode. As I've expected - 2 alliance episodes (next episode was well) to cover everything up to including chapter 4 of the first novel.

Yangs background with his father was a bit short. They would have needed 2 episodes if they wanted to explain everything. Background story of Yang was longer than Reinhard's in the novel as well. (In the old OVA it appeared in the Gaidens in the novel it was in chapter 1.)

I liked how he told Jessica a bit (how he had to go to a military university to study history). That way they could introduce Jessica and keep the background a bit shorter.

Also Cazerne and Sitolet appeared. They'll be important next episode - as well as Jessica and Julian. Nice way to introduce Julia. In the novels it appeared later - but for the pacing it seems better to have it now than later at that "action" stuff happening.

El Facil was nice and short. Not that much explanation needed. But I agree a bit with Farabeuf ... maybe people that don't know the old OVA or the novels might underestimate a bit the thing Yang did and how it influenced his career.

My subtitles were a bit wrong: he said something about rear-admiral. (Must have been wrong sub or a joke.)

Afaik it was Ensign (which Cazerne later used in the sub ... maybe to refer to the old days in the academy where he knew him from) first - which was default rank after graduation from the academy. Then 1 year later sub-lieutenant. (Or that was with graduation.)

2 ranks promotion were then to (full) lieutenant and I think lieutenant commander (at least in the novel the English translation named the ranks like that ... need to check again). Later it is mentioned how he slowly gets promoted (-> captain -> commodore I think) ... which took some years. I think about 8 years later. (Not as fast as Reinhard ... he is not ambitious. He just happens to do the right stuff when needed and is good ad it and gets pushed into higher positions as we get to see next episode.)

Also the girl with the coffee was cute in this new animated version. ;)
Apr 24, 2018 8:13 AM
Jul 2018
The episode had a very lovely and relaxing atmosphere.

I'm interested Yang's character & wanted to know more of him that I'm glad this episode focused on his backstory.

So, he'll be taking an apprentice after all?
Apr 24, 2018 8:33 AM

Jun 2013
Luthandorius said:
My subtitles were a bit wrong: he said something about rear-admiral. (Must have been wrong sub or a joke.)

It's Lieutenant Commander. The subbers made an egregious mistake with that; I think they forgot it was supposed to be a flashback episode.

That flub aside, I actually appreciate Production I.G devoting an entire episode to Yang's backstory. I would prefer more emphasis on El Facil just like in the OVA Gaiden series, but I guess this would do as well.

EDIT: I actually chuckled at the renowned 730 Mafia used as a liquor brand name in the bar scene.
MagiarcaApr 24, 2018 8:39 AM
Apr 24, 2018 9:06 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty good episode showcasing some backstory for Yang. He's quite the history buff. It was interesting to see him rise up in the ranks. Looks like he's going to take on an apprentice.
Apr 24, 2018 10:26 AM

Nov 2016
Ok this time we got storytelling for Yang,pretty good again overall.

I'm really amazed how much I actually enjoy this show so far.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 24, 2018 10:53 AM
Mar 2018
I'm quite satisfied with this episode. This episode we manage to see Jean, Jessica, Julian, Cazerne, Sitolet, Jessica's appearance. Happy that they show Yang's feat of why he was called as the Hero of El Facil ( surprised to see El Facil in this episode! )

I love that scene where Yang coughed on his sandwich and then the girl gave him coffee and he replied of how much he dislike coffee and hey her expression is cute! ( I somehow remember the same scene from the OVA, gets a bit feelsy here )

A bit disappointed that they didn't talk much about how Yang managed to evacuate the El Facil's citizens safely when the Imperial Army was standby outside the space of the planet...

Anyways can't wait for the next episode since it's about Yang again!!
ntart14Apr 24, 2018 12:32 PM
Apr 24, 2018 11:07 AM

Mar 2013
This episode solidified that I think the series is not just good, but really good. For someone who loves LotGH at least. Maybe I wouldn't like it so much if I hadn't watched the OVA already? Who knows. It's just enjoyable seeing the events again and they're taking their time with it. Hopefully we'll get many more seasons, since that would be necessary to tell the whole story.

I was worried that they would try and go back and forth every single episode between the FPA and the Empire, but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case.
Apr 24, 2018 11:22 AM

Jul 2014
Farabeuf said:
That little cameo in El Facil was gorgeous. Looking forward to see her adult sized.
Yes, it was gorgeous, but only people who read the novels or watched the original OVA will know who she was.

Harlequina said:
This episode solidified that I think the series is not just good, but really good. For someone who loves LotGH at least. Maybe I wouldn't like it so much if I hadn't watched the OVA already? Who knows. It's just enjoyable seeing the events again and they're taking their time with it. Hopefully we'll get many more seasons, since that would be necessary to tell the whole story.
I'm wondering about the same. Would I like it this much if I hadn't seen the original OVA? I don't know and at this point it doesn't matter.
Apr 24, 2018 12:54 PM

Feb 2010
I enjoyed the way they handled episode 3 and was optimistic for this one, but this... was butchery.

The pacing is completely off, they added anime-only material, rushed through El Facil when there was no real reason to even show it until a good bit later. I liked seeing Frederica, but they honestly overdid it with Jessica and Jean.
In the first book, we don't even see Jessica on stage until the Astarte battle, in an event that will likely be covered next episode, judging by the title. Her role in Yang's past doesn't even really come up until the second novel, where it is recapped in passing in another scene.

I know they tried to play Yang's views off at Jessica, but it really didn't work. They're trying to build her up as a more important character but really what she did here had little to no bearing on what she is yet going to do. A lot of what this episode tried to do with Yang's development was spread throughout the novels, here and there, often in conversation or to provide further context to ongoing events. Frontloading this stuff while putting the in my opinion badly-handled battle of Astarte aside, including the political aftermath, for basically two episodes now, was a terrible idea. It doesn't just mess up the pacing of this particular episode, but also that of the first half of this season. Almost all of the info we get here is stuff that would've crystallized as the story progresses anyway.

For the record, I've watched it with a friend who didn't read the books or watch the OVAs. She was pretty lost in places because nothing was really handled with much gravitas or elaborated on to the point where it seemed really relevant. Much ado about nothing, basically. She had to ask me afterwards what was so special about El Facil, for example, because the episode did a pretty bad job showcasing how vital Yang's calm and composed nature and his plan actually were for the planet's population.
DarkChaplainApr 24, 2018 1:10 PM
Apr 24, 2018 1:18 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
MagisterArcanum said:
Luthandorius said:

It's Lieutenant Commander. The subbers made an egregious mistake with that; I think they forgot it was supposed to be a flashback episode.

That flub aside, I actually appreciate Production I.G devoting an entire episode to Yang's backstory. I would prefer more emphasis on El Facil just like in the OVA Gaiden series, but I guess this would do as well.

EDIT: I actually chuckled at the renowned 730 Mafia used as a liquor brand name in the bar scene.

Well spotted that one! Nice little detail to put in.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 24, 2018 1:23 PM

Sep 2012
I love how Yang didn't unpack the boxes X days after moving in xD
Apr 24, 2018 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
I'm liking Yang a lot more than Reinhardt so far, I hope to see more of him!

It looks like he has his apprentice, which might be that girl who gave him coffee before?
Apr 24, 2018 1:38 PM

Aug 2015
Can we agree that on the best good boy scale:

Julian > Todoroki or any other BNHA character.

Sad we won't see him grow into his prime anytime soon.
Apr 24, 2018 1:51 PM
Mar 2015
Very solid episode!
Apr 24, 2018 1:54 PM
Mar 2016
Oh yang now has an apprentice, now it's becoming gay.
Apr 24, 2018 3:45 PM

Oct 2008
Another great episode!

I like Yang's voice, but every so often I start thinking about Sougo from Gintama.

I still don't care for Cazellnu's design, but I like his voice and attitude in this remake. I just loved the face he made at Yang during Cazellnu's first on-screen appearance. Very amusing.

I also love how messy Yang still is, such as in his house and how he keeps himself. I was worried the remake would remove that. Makes Yang really relatable.
Apr 24, 2018 3:52 PM

Nov 2012
It was a good episode although seemed a little bit rushed but I guess that's the best they can do given it's a 12 episodes season.

I highly doubit it that they're trying to go throughly through all the events that were on the 110 episodes OVA.
"The Goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your faces!"
Fritz Josef Bittenfield (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Apr 24, 2018 5:01 PM

Mar 2012
Another great episode.
Apr 24, 2018 5:02 PM

Mar 2012
Kirko said:
It was a good episode although seemed a little bit rushed but I guess that's the best they can do given it's a 12 episodes season.

I highly doubit it that they're trying to go throughly through all the events that were on the 110 episodes OVA.

The 12 episodes + 3 movies that are coming out are going to cover the first two books. This amount of episodes + 3 movie's length actually gives the first two books more screen time than the old OVA so it shouldn't be extremely rushed.
Apr 24, 2018 5:52 PM

Oct 2017
Kirko said:

The first season of this only supposed to cover the first book looking at what the old version covered it covered the first 2 books in 26 episodes. If you take 12 episodes plus 3 2 hour movies I think that means the new one should actually have more airing time than the original.
Apr 24, 2018 6:10 PM

May 2012
Another great episode

I like Wen-li Yang personality and looks much more than original OVA

Apr 24, 2018 6:25 PM

Jul 2011
Julian turned into a really cute boi looool.

I'm actually liking this adaptation of the series. It's like a nice little summary. But it does feel like they cut out stuff, but maybe it's because I'm used to the slow pacing of the original LotGH.
Apr 24, 2018 6:25 PM

Oct 2014
Maybe... it's the slow pace of the old OVA that did Yang's character justice.

It's not that this episode is bad, though. It's okay.
They butchered a lot of the tactic, the politic, and the philosophy but not that I expect anyone to think these days.
Given that they keep the meat of Yang as a character "the observer", one can't really complain much.
Apr 24, 2018 6:38 PM

Jun 2009
Not really sure where the whole "rushed" argument is coming from considering a lot of this stuff wasn't even in the main OVA but instead the Gaidens and Overture. If anything, I'm surprised they are apparently spending two episodes on Yang.

Edit: Also, I don't remember the orphan law at all from the first anime. It could have been in the Gaidens, not sure.
Ston3_FreeN7Apr 24, 2018 7:14 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2018 8:07 PM
Aug 2015
Shirosune said:

It looks like he has his apprentice, which might be that girl who gave him coffee before?

frederica a importan character :)
Apr 24, 2018 8:26 PM
Apr 2015
I really enjoyed this episode, though I would have liked they showed more of the corruption that's eating the FPA away but hopefully we'll see that next episode.

I don't remember the books very well but I liked how they handled Yang and Jessica relationship, my only complain is that Yang's feelings towards her didn't feel quite as present as I would have hoped, granted I could see how focusing on that would be bad for the pacing but it would've done great for humanising Yang even more.

As for the cliffhanger I like how it contrast so much with the one in Reinhard's episode in the sense that is not really exciting at all, just mundane like life's knocking on Yang's door whereas Reinhard is thinking about how to knock life's door down.
Apr 24, 2018 10:01 PM

Dec 2013
I was expecting to get an alliance episode this week. The boy at the end was random.

This episode made me love Yang even more!
Apr 24, 2018 10:28 PM

Oct 2008
Nice episode! so this time it's Yang's turn!
The Unbeatable Magician and the hero of El Facil!
5/5.

Apr 25, 2018 12:37 AM

Sep 2010
Yes, yes I liked this one! Well how could I not with Yang being my most favourite character of all time and this episode being quite good at showing his backstory. True, the storyline was somewhat different than in the old version but it might actually liked it even better. Just the fact that they added El Facil alone makes it better because the original doesn't show El Facil at all and I remember that I watched El Facil OVA only after finishing the entire series!
Apr 25, 2018 2:52 AM

Jul 2014
Shirosune said:

Yes, he got his apprentice. But it's not the girl from El Facil (but she's an important character too).
Apr 25, 2018 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
mozgow said:
Shirosune said:

Yes, he got his apprentice. But it's not the girl from El Facil (but she's an important character too).

Oh I see, I assumed it might have been her since she made an appearance earlier in the episode!
Apr 25, 2018 9:40 AM
Aug 2017
I'm glad that the new series is going in a new direction, adapting stuff that we only saw in Gaiden. I noticed the art and direction wasn't nearly as good as the last episode, which I guess just has to do with who worked on the episode, but it is a little disappointing. I feel as though this version of Yang is definitely different from the one in the OVA, as he is much more open and positive than the one in the OVA, who was positive and teasing but was a lot more bored and stern than this new one. Perhaps that is just a problem of comparing who Yang will become to who Yang currently is though, so perhaps I am wrong on that front. I do feel as though the relationship between Yang and Jessica as well as Lapp was a bit overblown, although I can't really say that it was all that egregious of an issue. Overall, this episode was a good one, but I still don't think it is as good as the OVA. It might just be bias saying that considering that Yang's backstory was much more delved into here than in the original series (not including Spiral Labyrinth which also covers much of his backstory), but I do believe I can justify that opinion. Anyway, I'd give this episode a 4/5 and am intrigued to find out what this new series will do next.
Apr 25, 2018 1:26 PM

Jul 2012
Lovely :>

I love that episodes 3 and 4 have been mostly backstories for both MCs. I like that we don't get straight action because then it wouldn't be as exciting.
Apr 25, 2018 1:39 PM
Nov 2016
Was an okay-ish episode, by glossing over El facil, if feels like they've reduced how interesting a character Wang is.
Apr 25, 2018 1:50 PM
Oct 2012
This was a good episode I really like Yang Wenli so I do have my bias here and do really like him. A complaint I think is actually this episodes pacing it mirrors Reinhard's flashback episode quite nicely but I prefer how the original did Jean's story I think it was in the remake of episode 1 and 2 overtorture or maybe in the prequel move, it was by far better to give us Jean and Wang's relationship first then to kill him, it had more of an impact, in this version they Jean and then tell us about his importance and who he was.
Nothing particularly bad about this episode looks like we get more Yang next week which is good.
Apr 25, 2018 1:55 PM

Jan 2015
I don't know if I missed it but what did Yang actually do in El Facil? Just seemed to me they went to battle with the Imperials and Yang led them to escape in the meantime.
Apr 25, 2018 2:00 PM

Feb 2008
I commend Yang's passion for history, to think that he joined a military institution to study it...

His single passion aside, the glimpse into Yang's background was intriguing. His credo of searching answers for future problems from past endeavours is, again, quite commendable. I wonder, however, how far will such a mindset take him? Particularly as his opponents have their minds set on the future instead of the past.

Yang is definitely more interesting than he lets on.
Apr 25, 2018 4:29 PM

Jun 2011
zemrood said:
I don't know if I missed it but what did Yang actually do in El Facil? Just seemed to me they went to battle with the Imperials and Yang led them to escape in the meantime.

He used unmanned ships as decoys. That's why the Imperial Fleet did not suffer casualties.

I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.