Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 28, 2018 11:49 AM

Aug 2014
Illyricus said:
@LF2005 I wasn't refering to Archer, but the enemy Saber is fighting at the beginning of the episode.

I mean...the design isn't exactly subtle
Jan 28, 2018 11:49 AM

Aug 2014
Tekakurika said:
JudoJD said:
There was a time was back when the first Pokemon series was airing (a Porygon episode that got banned)...The flashes of light caused over 600 kids to go through epileptic seizures so it's something they're still cautious of... In a lot of cases just for safety there's this warning that shows up at the start of anime episodes being broadcast that you should sit at a distance from the screen and at a distance

So probably just to be cautious because of the bright colour effects
But in DVD version they fix that?
Yes, they're not allowed to air it on Japanese TV without that effect but it gets removed for DVD/BD release.
Jan 28, 2018 11:55 AM

Apr 2010
BlueBalls said:
Shit ain't obvious but was entertaining. They really could have made Shinji's motive for stabbing a bit clearer, it came off as kinda random.

Jan 28, 2018 12:16 PM

Jan 2011
Personally I am indifferent to Shaft's artstyle and their known usage of abstract transition scenes.

It took me quite awhile to get used to that in Monogatari before I was able to fully enjoy that show tbh. So I hope they don't get too crazy with this one.
Jan 28, 2018 12:24 PM

Jan 2016
I liked it a lot! Very shaft like and it worked. Loved seeing all the characters I love back for another spin-off. Rin being rin, Sakura back at it with her "Senpai" and of course the most hated VN characters ever Shinji being the usual cunt that he is.

No Saber, Artoria. But fear not we have UMU! FREAKIN UMU! I've been waiting passionately for this and it looks promising

Jan 28, 2018 12:45 PM
Sep 2016
Insertanamehere said:
JudoJD said:

Kara no kyoukai, Zero and Heaven's feel (even UBW) would like to have a word with you though XD

Ufotable isn't bad, but only KnK from those has better direction than Shafts best works in that field.

(I completely disagree considering the nature of the classic nasuverse titles but....I've had experiences with shaft fans before so I know where this is going..let it just end there hehe)
1.1.Six
Jan 28, 2018 12:49 PM

Feb 2015
WTF was that? Its massively confusing as a non Type Moon fanboy. Nothing made sense to me in this episode. Shinji should be dead for starters.

Visually its typical shaft but when you group it this a story that makes ZERO sense it end up a mess.

At least Saber looks hot.
Jan 28, 2018 1:00 PM

Jun 2015
Alright, watched the subs so now I can give some clearer thoughts:

Oh boy, this is a strange first episode for an Extra veteran, let alone a newcomer.

There's obviously a time loop here, given Lab Coat man and Kirei's comments on Hakuno. Hakunon seems to be Hakuno, or related to him, considering Nero recognizes him. Hakuno's pure hatred could be explained as subconsciously hating dying all the time, too. There's apparently going to be two "arcs" airing, so I'm interested to see if the second arc deals with Hakunon's loop. If this episode just dumped a bunch of confusing info without much elaboration on the setting, it would be interesting to actually introduce newcomers to the world through an earlier time loop. All just speculation, though.

The Limbo scene was weird, no idea what to think of it. Felt just like a way to have SHAFT do some artsy SHAFT things.

Shinji a shit. But we already knew that.

Art style...will take some getting used to. I know they're trying to emulate Wada's Art, but it looks really uncanny valley, particularly with Rin and Saber.

Music was good, if not particularly memorable.

Extra spoilers below
-Sherou-Jan 28, 2018 1:18 PM

Jan 28, 2018 1:13 PM

Jun 2011
Crashmatt said:
WTF was that? Its massively confusing as a non Type Moon fanboy. Nothing made sense to me in this episode. Shinji should be dead for starters.

He's not the same Shinji from FSN. In fact, none of them are.
Jan 28, 2018 1:15 PM

Feb 2015
Theorder14 said:
Crashmatt said:

Its not the characters i have an issue with. Ots the story and setting which make zero sense to me.
Jan 28, 2018 1:23 PM

Jun 2011
Crashmatt said:
Theorder14 said:

Its not the characters i have an issue with. Ots the story and setting which make zero sense to me.

well, you shouldn't really expect to get all the answers in the very first episode. They're obviously going to answer them in due time. I was only adressing ur quote "Shinji should be dead for starters."
Jan 28, 2018 1:39 PM

Oct 2014
Nani Kore?

And Shinji is still an ass ayy
Jan 28, 2018 2:05 PM

Aug 2010
zannett said:
Even as a fan of the Fate franchise I felt disappointed about this.

Even by Fate standards, this episode was horribly obscure. This isn't to say the first episode has to make everything clear, but almost nothing was clear about this one. Where's the hook other than "I don't know anything that's going on so I guess I need to keep watching?" or "here's another Fate series with another Saber"? If I had no idea about Fate, I would've dropped this in a heartbeat, and Extra being a spinoff/side-chapter/parallel universe, it should be trying to draw new fans in, not just cater to old ones.

Part of what I like about Fate is its setting: a battle royale amongst servants and masters. I liked Stay Night, Protoype, Zero, Apocrypha, etc. because there are so many different combinations of servants and masters that could create new dynamics. I don't care what explanation they could throw out--we don't need Rin and/or Sakura everywhere. We also absolutely do not need Shinji to show up. Why does anyone think it makes sense to drag out old characters belonging to another entry to this new story?

It's a spin-off. Of course it isn't meant to get newcomers interested in Fate. It doesn't ask you to be familiar with "Extra", but yiou being familiar with Fate itself is sort of a given.

It's intentionally not being clear. It's supposed to be confusing with a general feeling of "what is even going on and what is... everything?".

Your hook is the name "Fate". It's a spin-off with an intriguing premise and familiar faces. This is more than enough to get you started.

About the familiar faces you believe shouldn't be there in this alternate universe setting with no relation to them.
Jan 28, 2018 2:07 PM

Feb 2014
Shinji is, moreorless, still a bit of an ass as he decides to stab our MC in order to keep himself alive. So much for the more likeable approach he had at the start. =/

The shaft-style is pretty obvious from the designs, animations and all and I do like it. Not ufotable quality at all, but it's around Apocrypha level of quality, despite the different style.

The standouts of the episode was Saber's entrance and the soundtrack, including the credit song. That was pretty good. =)

All in all, in was a decent start, although the premise is a bit confusing though. I'm sure the answer will come along soon enough.
Jan 28, 2018 2:15 PM

Nov 2016
I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on. That was a complete failure of a premiere episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2018 2:27 PM

Aug 2010
RubenGallar said:
I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on. That was a complete failure of a premiere episode.

Why was it a failure? Judging from your comment, it succeeded in what it aimed to do.

They're intentionally withholding information and throwing you in a completely alien and inexplicable environment that contrasts sharply from the environments past Fate installments established and were set in.
Jan 28, 2018 2:42 PM

Nov 2016
astroprogs said:
RubenGallar said:

Why was it a failure? Judging from your comment, it succeeded in what it aimed to do.

They're intentionally withholding information and throwing you in a completely alien and inexplicable environment that contrasts sharply from the environments past Fate installments established and were set in.

I don't know, I think they need to give me at least a little bit of context if they really want to get my attention. Otherwise it feels like I'm just watching some random nonsense. I'm okay with not knowing everything from the beginning, but there were too many things that didn't have an explanation or correlation at all.

And the fact that the main character is practically inmortal also bothers me a little.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2018 2:53 PM

May 2015
I think the visuals being kinda mediocre isn't a surprise. They're working on Sangatsu, this, and probably Zoku all at the same time.

Jan 28, 2018 3:03 PM

Jan 2017
I have two question
1.WHO THE HELL DATE WİTH SHİNJİ is that amari girl crazy
2.And what happened to that amari girl İs shinji just kill her
Jan 28, 2018 3:06 PM

Apr 2015
>7.50 or less here
>People shitting the first episode because it doesn't fit anything in the F/SN events
>"Is not like Zero"

Sasuga MAL..

I think this time I'm going to lurk from now because this cringestorm won't stop.
Jan 28, 2018 3:11 PM

Apr 2015
ErinaNakiri1 said:
I have two question

Well at least I can answer this.

1. Bet she is, or bet she was using him to get to her objetive that was mc-kun lel
2. Well, a lot of people who are deep into Extra-CCC games believe that she's some servant, but to put it simple, she's not dead, and Shinji didn't killed her, since Shinji stabbing Hakuno counted as him being a candidate.
Jan 28, 2018 3:12 PM

Jan 2017
Veromaye said:
ErinaNakiri1 said:
I have two question

Well at least I can answer this.

1. Bet she is, or bet she was using him to get to her objetive that was mc-kun lel
2. Well, a lot of people who are deep into Extra-CCC games believe that she's some servant, but to put it simple, she's not dead, and Shinji didn't killed her, since Shinji stabbing Hakuno counted as him being a candidate.
thank you for the information
Jan 28, 2018 3:22 PM

May 2015
Welp this is the weirdest Fate series I seen so far, but one thing didn't change. Schinji is still a prick.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 28, 2018 3:37 PM
Jan 2016
That was . . . something. I can at least say I am intrigued. There's almost nothing good about this first episode, but at least all of the weirdness made me want to watch the next episode.
Jan 28, 2018 3:39 PM

Jul 2015
RubenGallar said:
astroprogs said:

I don't know, I think they need to give me at least a little bit of context if they really want to get my attention. Otherwise it feels like I'm just watching some random nonsense. I'm okay with not knowing everything from the beginning, but there were too many things that didn't have an explanation or correlation at all.

And the fact that the main character is practically inmortal also bothers me a little.

That "not knowing whats going on" is intentional. The game also did this, though the first episode heavily differs from what I've played through, so even people who've read the VN are confused.

Both FSN and F/EX started a bit like this: a lot of questions and nothing clear in the beginning, then they immediately answer a bunch of them after the initial shock.

In the game, they introduced us to a setting we were familiar with from the original Fate, but with some things seeming painfully out of place as a way of foreshadowing. People who have watched the original series or played F/Extr gained 'something' out of this episode, even if it's mostly just questions and theories as to what's happened to the game's timeline. SO sadly, nobody yet knows what to make of the events and if this even follows the original story of the game ( I'm gonna take a wild guess and say this is going to be an original story)

IMO they could have brought this accross a lot better, had they done the first episode at double length, like Zero and UBW did, but meh. Just keep watching. You will soon get a proper introduction to everything

It's okay to smirk

Jan 28, 2018 3:41 PM

Sep 2014
The OST was supreme, really on point. Shinji and Rin look weird as well as Shinji's girlfriend... but aside from that, the art looks really beautiful. The background art in particular was great. The gorier scenes were both brutal and visual impressed, I loved it. The OST really helped set the mood of the scenes.

Not sure where this is going since I haven't played the game, but I was expecting something a lot worse given the current rating of both this episode and the series. In fact, I'm surprised I'm not delving into all sorts of things that could have done better, which I often do even if I love the show. Looking forward to where they'll take things in the following episodes.
Jan 28, 2018 3:58 PM

Sep 2016
It's becoming a fact that Netflix Japan holds a complete stranglehold to future Fate tv series or the entire Fate Franchise as a whole, the one to blame for this is Aniplex and maybe Type Moon too.
PolarCyrus97Jan 28, 2018 4:03 PM
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 28, 2018 4:01 PM

Dec 2014
I have no clue what happened, but somehow I feel pretty confident that it was the intent and things will become clearer. Loved the Shaftiness and that was quite some edginess there too. Can't wait for more.
spicychileJan 28, 2018 4:07 PM
I need sleep.
Jan 28, 2018 4:01 PM

Sep 2016
The other argument that has been thrown is the Fate franchise became "mainstream". What a better way to show it to a wider audience is via Netflix, amirite fellas at Aniplex and CO swimming in a pool mad cash from Fate Grand Order XD
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 28, 2018 4:57 PM

Aug 2015
nice first episode

although shaft backgrounds are abstract compared to ufotables, it works for the settings at which they were in. From the first minute I felt like none of that is real.
Also, knowing how unique shaft can make it's animation it will be interesting to see how fight scenes will play out.

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Jan 28, 2018 4:59 PM

Jul 2015
FlamepriesT said:
The OST was supreme, really on point. Shinji and Rin look weird as well as Shinji's girlfriend... but aside from that, the art looks really beautiful. The background art in particular was great. The gorier scenes were both brutal and visual impressed, I loved it. The OST really helped set the mood of the scenes.

Not sure where this is going since I haven't played the game, but I was expecting something a lot worse given the current rating of both this episode and the series. In fact, I'm surprised I'm not delving into all sorts of things that could have done better, which I often do even if I love the show. Looking forward to where they'll take things in the following episodes.

The initial bad reaction is mostly because people don't know whats going on (not unusual for Fate series in their early stages, as you probably know) and because people who played the game are pissed at how it doesnt follow the game's story (fucking VN purists).

After my previous post here, I read a statement by Nasu, saying he wanted to make something that would be enjoyable for both those who layed the game and people who hadn't, which is why it became the way it is.
SO I wasn't off-mark with my previous statements, I guess.
It's okay to smirk

Jan 28, 2018 5:00 PM

Jul 2015
spicychile said:
I have no clue what happened, but somehow I feel pretty confident that it was the intent and things will become clearer. Loved the Shaftiness and that was quite some edginess there too. Can't wait for more.

yup, it was intentional. Confirmed by Nasu
It's okay to smirk

Jan 28, 2018 5:14 PM

Dec 2011
Guys, Shinji, and Rin is a different person from their FSN counterpart, and Sakura is an npc or a copy of the fsn Sakura in Extra universe
Jan 28, 2018 5:18 PM

Sep 2015
A lot of comment about 1st ep are either about Hakuno's "plot armor" or they think this is same timeline with F/SN.

1. Why? did nobody read the synopsis? "Waking up in a strange virtual world with no recollection of the past, Hakuno finds himself forced to fight for survival in a war he does not understand for a prize beyond value" of course he can't die this is not SAO.

2. Why a lot of people think this is F/SN timeline? never heard the another alternative setting of F/SN? never heard Fate Illya?
Into the Internet!
Jan 28, 2018 5:20 PM

Nov 2014
Well, that was........something. Nasu has definitely succeeded in making me go "what?". Liked it, of course. Even when it's almost nothing like the game.
Jan 28, 2018 5:24 PM

Apr 2014
addioo12 said:
FlamepriesT said:

The initial bad reaction is mostly because people don't know whats going on (not unusual for Fate series in their early stages, as you probably know) and because people who played the game are pissed at how it doesnt follow the game's story (fucking VN purists).

Don't know if I'd agree with the "VN purists"(at least in this case), most Extra veterans I've seen are, although confused af, also looking forward to have a new original Extra story by Nasu, like if we had a new route on the game, at least I'm one of them. Majority of fatefans that are complaining are either the not familiar with Extra or the ones who didn't like Shaft's animation and prefer Ufotable.

Now on to my thoughts,
I loved the art style, the 10x bigger space gives a feel of something unnatural about it, which imo, fits well in Extra, the character design, although it resembles Wada Arco's, it's somewhat weird, not in a bad way, but I'll need some time to get used to it(I doubt it'll be an issue tho), Saber's brief fight with *blank* at the beginning leaves so much hype and the OST is so good. Can't wait for the next episode.

4.5/5
Jan 28, 2018 7:12 PM
Nov 2015
i have no idea what happened but at least it wasnt boring like apocrypha
Jan 28, 2018 7:20 PM

Dec 2015
Stunning animation , that spilling blood , as well , that continous stabbing , i laugh a lot at that part , i must be already out of my mind, love you shaft. nice to see Umu , still playing last encore rn . still a bit confused about the story . and i really miss kirei's voice and my gawd shinji , i thought you become a better person but then you stab your friend. looking forward for next week
Jan 28, 2018 7:41 PM

May 2016
Was a sold first episode, can’t wait for next weeks! Not sure why people are complaining about the art style. Shaft did the openings for the Fate/Extra games.
Jan 28, 2018 8:22 PM

Feb 2017
I saw the subs and I have some comments I'd like to make. Read the following if you want some accuracy, contains episode 1 spoiler in chronological order.

Thanks to the subbers for providing the translation, it's a work people watching anime should appreciate.
RedKaZeroJan 28, 2018 9:19 PM
Jan 28, 2018 10:06 PM

Dec 2013
This is the Extra anime we need.

Like I don't even know what to say.

5/5, just that. Poor Hakunon.

AND THANK GOD This isn't Extella Zero. Bless Nasu.

my boi shinji already fucking Hakuno, that's ma boy.

LEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Rin's introduction was strange and we lost Rani to get a Not-Tamamo? Idk what to feel.

the backgrounds are perfect, wish that Tsukimihara actually looked like this in the game. LOL
RyouriJan 28, 2018 10:24 PM
Jan 28, 2018 10:59 PM
Dec 2015
Makes me want to play Fate/Extra again. Maybe if all go well , could get Fate/extra ccc!
Jan 28, 2018 11:17 PM

Jan 2016
So I haven’t played the game, I’m anime only with the Fate/series. I mostly understood what was going on in the episode, but atm It feels like one of those shows where I’m expected to have already consumed the source material, is this the case?

That would be a shame, since I’ve been excited about this for awhile due to the director. Miyamoto is my favorite SHAFT director behind Oishi, and his last series was Madoka like 7 years ago.
GoldNautilusJan 28, 2018 11:22 PM
Jan 28, 2018 11:41 PM
Mar 2017
GoldNautilus said:
So I haven’t played the game, I’m anime only with the Fate/series. I mostly understood what was going on in the episode, but atm It feels like one of those shows where I’m expected to have already consumed the source material, is this the case?

That would be a shame, since I’ve been excited about this for awhile due to the director. Miyamoto is my favorite SHAFT director behind Oishi, and his last series was Madoka like 7 years ago.

This is going to be a different story than the source material and was made to surprise/confuse both anime-only and source fans.

As long as this isn't your first Fate you won't be missing much. Even then, the recycled character designs from other Fates are all different characters here.
Alternative-IVJan 29, 2018 2:25 AM
Jan 28, 2018 11:44 PM

Jan 2016
Alternative-IV said:
GoldNautilus said:

This is going to be a different story than the source material and was made to surprise/confuse both anime-only and source fans.

As long as this isn't your first Fate you won't be missing much. Even then the recycled character designs from other Fates are all different characters here anyways.

Alright, thanks for the reply, Alternative.
Jan 28, 2018 11:49 PM

Nov 2015
GoldNautilus said:

nope. this is targeted at both the players and newcomers. U can read the nasu blog thing in another post.
Jan 29, 2018 12:01 AM
Jul 2018
Lol, they showed "that" servant so early in the anime huh? I wonder how much they are going to change. Art style was just okay, fights are decent, OST was pretty good. I wonder who Amari is or she is just an anime-original master but let's wait and see I guess.
Jan 29, 2018 12:38 AM
Oct 2016
Why do the animation and art look cheap as fuck? And everything seemed so confusing. Not getting my hopes high for this anime
Jan 29, 2018 12:46 AM

Apr 2016
I wish they went for CCC's art style instead it will probably take time for me to get used to it. I'm curious about that pink haired girl it feels like she is going to play a large role in this anime... or get killed by Shinji. The scene with Sakura sounds like that Hakuno have some memories about what happened on the Far Side
Jan 29, 2018 2:10 AM

Nov 2016
ssjokg said:
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, I think the art/visual style works for this show so far. From what I've seen it, the details are there and while it isn't ufotable-tier, the episode itself remains stylish from the trailers and quality.

Glad to see some of the main characters introduced already in the first episode. From Red Saber making her appearance to the classroom scene and chess game, this really did feel like what I'd expect from Fate/Extra so far.

Not sure how I feel about Shinji so far. The guy is still the way he is...
Regardless, I think this first epsiode made a nice impression so far for more to come. (I'm actually impressed by the way the music is used). The violence is also colorful with psychology and Shaft-style craftmanship.
This Shinji isnt like the one in FSN.

Still an ass but he has the possibility of becoming better.

somehow i doubt it once an ass always an ass
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

120 by Remlz_77 »»
Aug 27, 12:14 AM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

136 by Shidoteki »»
Jul 8, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.