Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 4, 2017 7:17 PM

Jun 2016
This show, at present, has a rating of 6.21, which makes no sense. As far as direction, animation and sound go, they're all pretty decent. I'm genuinely invested in the characters and their relationships (Well, the four leads anyway) and I am very much enjoying my time watching this.

So why is this show getting so much hate? Is it the same as 'Hai to gensou to grimgar', in that it gets hate simply for its genre (And double points for the A-1 pictures and light novel adaptation). Or is it like Tsuki ga Kirei, which had low ratings all the way until the end of the season, at which point it's ratings skyrocketed (At least to my recollection). I really am curious about this.
Aug 4, 2017 11:17 PM

Oct 2015
Hate is the wrong term, more like "overlooked". The anime itself isn't really what you can call bad but it feels pretty bland. + Most people tend to lean towards what the majority likes so they wouldn't really try to go out their way to watch something low-rated. In currently-airing shows, the 1st episode is what decides it's rating (obviously lol) the first episode wasn't anything special so that might be why.
Aug 4, 2017 11:56 PM

Jun 2016
I was speaking more in terms of the score, than I was in terms of popularity.
Aug 5, 2017 12:00 AM
Sep 2016
I dont understand why either bro...
Aug 5, 2017 12:11 AM

Apr 2013
Felt bland and way too janky to me (the animation movement I mean) and I dunno, the veteran Seiyuu being used in this show isn't enough for me to make up for all the things that bothered me in the 1st ep (if you enjoy it that's cool, I just didn't like it at all)

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 5, 2017 2:46 AM

Aug 2008
Without looking at other critics, I personally think this show lacks dialogue cohesion to make it as emotional as it deserves to be, so it becomes dead bland. Still, 6.2 is a bit too harsh based on MAL usual scoring, as I feel the show is nice overall. Characters are cute. Seiyuus are especially great. Atmosphere is chill. Setup is somewhat solid. Nothing bad, nothing stands out.

My scoring standard, on the other hand, is stricter that MAL average, so unless this show pick up something thrilling afterwards, I don't think it will go past 6 on my sheet.
Aug 5, 2017 3:27 AM

Apr 2016
Mostly because this is no lame battle shounen that people tend to overrate..
Aug 5, 2017 3:30 AM

Jul 2015
more like a boring Sol that no one give a shit about
Aug 5, 2017 7:16 AM

Apr 2012
Hmm, first ep definitely threw me off. Felt like a cliche type show, but honestly this is actually getting really good as it progresses in the story! I love it!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 5, 2017 5:50 PM

Mar 2015
going to speak for my own opinion. i just started the show (i had it on my plan to watch but forgot to add it to my list and just found out last night so i started it today) and episode 1 felt very cliched and boring. i currently have watched first episode only so it might be better later so i'm giving it a try. that's where most users make anime have low or high ratings, though. most people drop anime and give them bad ratings just cause first episode was bad without caring about the rest of the show even though it turns out to be a masterpiece at the end. it just makes ratings go lower which causes people to stray away from the anime making people that might actually like it end up skipping it therefore keeping its score low. MAL should make its "weighted" scoring system more weighted giving ratings for people that have actually watched more of the show a higher value in the rating more than people that dropped it after episode 1
Aug 5, 2017 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Well the reason why people would dislike it its probably how bland it was, probably more so from the fact that the romance aspect of it is not that great either.

Though, I like it but I don't think it's a very good show.
Aug 5, 2017 11:31 PM

Jun 2016
I kind of agree with the perspective, this show had a bland first episode and everyone rated it low after the first episode. On MAL, I think your review score should only count for half as much with each successive episode which airs, until it gets to what certain percentage watched for which reviews start counting.
Aug 20, 2017 10:49 AM
Oct 2014
EGOIST said:
Hate is the wrong term, more like "overlooked". The anime itself isn't really what you can call bad but it feels pretty bland. + Most people tend to lean towards what the majority likes so they wouldn't really try to go out their way to watch something low-rated. In currently-airing shows, the 1st episode is what decides it's rating (obviously lol) the first episode wasn't anything special so that might be why.

Actually is a very solid down to earth drama.IMO
Aug 20, 2017 10:50 AM
Oct 2014
Wasshio said:
Well the reason why people would dislike it its probably how bland it was, probably more so from the fact that the romance aspect of it is not that great either.

Though, I like it but I don't think it's a very good show.

Well imo it emulates relationships really well, so it lacks the drama people love.
But i lile it since the show itself manages to be down to earth.
thejanjo92Sep 2, 2017 9:22 PM
Aug 20, 2017 2:46 PM

Oct 2007
The show itself isn't bad but the down side is the show failed to make a good impression on people at the beginning. And it doesn't help either when the show gave off a vibe of a cliche shoujo manga.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 21, 2017 1:04 AM

Jun 2016
Siva said:
The show itself isn't bad but the down side is the show failed to make a good impression on people at the beginning. And it doesn't help either when the show gave off a vibe of a cliche shoujo manga.
Which makes it all the more relevant that this is an anime original. That in itself makes the show different from the plethora of shoujo manga adaptations that exist.
Aug 21, 2017 9:51 AM

Nov 2007
I had to drop the show halfway because the animation quality is horrendous. It looks like the show runs at 10 frames per second and a lot of random still up close scenes. Background characters look like dots and lines for faces it's awful. And as some of the MAL reviews mentioned, they're just beating around the bush every week it got tiresome.
Aug 21, 2017 11:34 AM

Oct 2007
Tenderizer17 said:
Which makes it all the more relevant that this is an anime original. That in itself makes the show different from the plethora of shoujo manga adaptations that exist.
Accepts it and deal with it. Not all good show can make a name for itself and yet there are a ton of average show that sell like hot cake.

Tsundere said:
I had to drop the show halfway because the animation quality is horrendous. It looks like the show runs at 10 frames per second and a lot of random still up close scenes. Background characters look like dots and lines for faces it's awful. And as some of the MAL reviews mentioned, they're just beating around the bush every week it got tiresome.
This is a slice of life show and not a drama. This is a show where you just sit down and enjoy the flow. If you want tear jerk drama then this is not one of them and it is not a fanservice show neither where you can have a ton of brain dead tsundere female characters fighting for the main guy. IMO, this is the least attractive good show I have seen and the bottom tier budget didn't help it either. God, I am sure I am watching this show in a slideshow format but how the heck that I am still enjoying this show so much. Just what kind of magic did the director use to make this show, I am wonder.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 21, 2017 7:33 PM

Jul 2015
I personally enjoy it, and think the characters are great, but I can see how it is kind of a "rinse and repeat" anime. There is no creativity really, nothing new or special about it. Now does that justify why its rated so low? I don't think so, but I am okay with generic anime while I know most people dislike it.
Aug 22, 2017 2:27 AM

Jun 2016
Tsundere said:
I'm not gonna lie, I haven't even noticed the animation quality is that bad. But I'm the kind of person who'd watch animated storyboards if the story was good.
Sep 4, 2017 8:35 PM

Mar 2009
People probably find it too slow for them. Which is fair.
Sep 5, 2017 12:21 AM

Jun 2016
Mormegil said:
People probably find it too slow for them. Which is fair.
Well, at least it's not one piece (Which I have never seen, but heard it's painfully drawn out). And this is only 12 episodes long, so patience I believe will be fruitful.

I'm just concerned about whether it's going anywhere with everything it's building up to. If this ends going nowhere, then I'll feel like it was too slow.
Sep 5, 2017 7:43 PM
Nov 2015
It's because the show moves slow. Regardless of anything else it's very paced and slow which alot of people used to ADD DDR hype flashy anime can't stand.
Sep 8, 2017 3:18 PM

May 2015
"This anime is about multiple main couples": only two get screen time and only one could be consider "main" (Honda x Class Rep).
The art style is bad, have you seen the animation? horrible.
We don't know much about the other couples apart from the fact that they are "couples" thanks to the OP and ED. Nothing moves forward apart from the relationship between Honda x Class Rep. We are at episode 9 and nothing happened between Mishiki and Mishima... it's too slow.

This is based on a LN, and to be honest, this anime won't help their sales. This was a big miss imo
Sep 8, 2017 5:35 PM

Jun 2016
Ok, so I checked the internet thoroughly. There are no novels in existence sharing this anime's name, no novels that share the character's and honestly the show doesn't feel like a light novel adaptation. I'm pretty sure MAL made a mistake on that front and it is in fact a studio original anime.

Secondly, I apologize for a mistake I made. This has the A-1 Pictures kind of good animation, where it's only competent if you don't pay too much attention to it. For the last 3 episodes I have been paying attention to it and noticed how incredibly cheap it is. But if the story is interesting, I take no issue with bad animation. If the story's good, I'd take no issue with 240p video at 1FPS (Although any further than that and I'd draw the line). Good animation is nice to have (And utterly wonderful to have in Made in Abyss because of the genre) but not essential as long as it has elements that work. For me, that's the slightly above average complexity of the main four.

Anyway, point is I made a mistake calling the animation "Pretty good" and MAL made a mistake calling the source of this "Light Novel"
Sep 27, 2017 11:57 AM

Nov 2014
I think everyone have their own taste, basically in general we can see this series bland and plain, but there are some people who still enjoyed it(like me) maybe because they are simply just enjoyed it, maybe because they like any series about romance or because simply liked it for no spesific reason

I can't say that it's all about hate, it just general preference of people, TBH there are a bunch of really great anime, maybe better than this series in many aspect so that normal if there are some people dislike it

Still, i really enjoyed this anime tho XD
Oct 3, 2017 3:28 PM
Mar 2014
tbh the first few mins feel like this is shounen ai(yaoi) anime..
dropped it afterwards..
and the interaction or should i say the animation pretty stiff..
Apr 11, 2018 8:30 AM
Jul 2018
I have absolutely no idea why! It’s one of my personal favourite series of the past 2 years!

So much so in fact that I plan to re-watch it again at least 3 times at the moment!
Apr 11, 2018 8:39 AM

Jun 2016
Wow, wasn't expecting this to get bumped. I had really bad tastes in anime when I liked this (Although it rightfully never went above a 7/10). It does even less well than Kimi no na Wa, and that's a difficult thing to accomplish.

There's not a single thing about Konbini Kareshi that stuck in my memory after its completion. It's far outdone by Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Yuru Camp, Hakumei to Mikochi and Tamako Love Story (I didn't mean for two of those to be seasonals, but they're the first that came to mind).
Apr 16, 2018 4:14 AM
Oct 2016
Dude. The pacing was so bad. Drawn out unnecessary long awkward scenes and pauses...I could not handle that. It's honestly not worth it. Im surprised it even got a 6. It honestly wasn't well produced. I liked the characters though. But its a shame it wasn't produced better
Apr 16, 2018 4:23 AM

Apr 2016
It started good, but then it went into a stream of generic bullshit plot.
Apr 27, 2018 10:26 PM

Jul 2012
It's terribly average and none of the characters stand out. The romance is cringy.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2017

37 by -ODA- »»
Apr 23, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2017

35 by Fubinn »»
Apr 9, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2017

70 by Ricky16 »»
Sep 11, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2017

33 by Ricky16 »»
Sep 10, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Konbini Kareshi Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2017

49 by dakota_draws85 »»
May 23, 2023 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.