Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 19, 2015 6:41 AM

Feb 2012
Sombrefloe said:
Why do they have school on Saturdays? Is it a village thing?

More like a private school thing. Public schools have a "normal" 5 day week, but no public school would open up for only five students(also private schools are the standard in anime, as they are just a little more "glamorous" and have more potential for unusual stories and anime generally tends to be a little anachronistic)
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Aug 21, 2015 3:52 PM

May 2012
i really liked this episode, liked the subtle passing of life, from being born to death
Aug 22, 2015 5:12 PM

Jan 2011
Non Non Biyori is the only show where they can just put on an almost-still-frame for 10 seconds while Renge is playing on her flute and it works.

Watching an episode of this before going to sleep is always 11/10.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 31, 2015 7:28 AM

Oct 2012
Dagashi-ya finally! xD

I was so sad that Renge can't cry like normal child.. I mean it's more saddening

So peaceful and heartwarming
Natsumi, she's idiot ok! But she had a nice heart, that's all matters xD
"Signature removed"
Sep 2, 2015 8:07 AM

Feb 2013
Renge's smile at the end really got to me
Sep 6, 2015 7:40 AM

Sep 2014
Teru Teru Bouzou Renchon was funny... and a bit creepy! Poor Koma-chan. xD

The ending was lovely.
Sep 11, 2015 4:39 PM

Jan 2012
this episode is pure Non Non Biyori!!!

Best episode of the season so far, laughter for the first part and tears in the second, but still keeping that placid, chill atmosphere, love this show!
Sep 16, 2015 10:07 AM

Nov 2011
Episode combining deep meanings in everyday scenes such as one sees often. Atmospheres that condense the joy of life and the sadness of a disastrous event, is what is Non Non Biyori. Wow, I love this show more and more. T_T
Sep 22, 2015 1:48 PM

May 2012
Quite some time since I've laughed so hard with a scene, that Teru Teru Bouzu part was just amazing especially that ending! Those Tadpoly shrimps were also quite lovely, let's see what's next!
Oct 10, 2015 5:53 AM

Sep 2014
Really enjoyed this episode.

The first half was quite funny while the second was more serious, but both parts were equally and entertaining and cute.
The rain was lovely.
Mirai, zura~!
Oct 18, 2015 9:15 AM

Jun 2009
Aww, that was so cute. Ren-chon is the highlight of this show, as usual.
Nov 4, 2015 9:09 PM

Feb 2014
What a nice and sweet episode. Renge was really awesome in this one, from her wanting to dress up as a Teru teru bozu to make the rain stop to her being sadden after the death of her shrimp. It was perfect.

Natsumi was a saint for putting the shrimp eggs in the tank for Renge. She has been my favorite since the first season and I'm loving her more. She should be the oldest, but I don't want Komari to be upset lol

5/5.
Cartoons and anime is my reality.
Nov 27, 2015 3:07 PM

Apr 2014
tfw u start crying when ren chan says another one will just die again
Dec 12, 2015 11:13 AM
Jul 2008
Yeah, that episode made me tear up a tad. (pun intended)
Jan 25, 2016 1:01 AM

Aug 2013
Omg.. that was the best Tera-bozu I've seen.
Ren-chan is depressed.. the world is ending.
Btw.. she is quite the artist. xD
Mar 29, 2016 4:23 PM

Aug 2012
That was a really adorable episode. It can't be a coincidence that the episode numbers of the Honoka story and the second half of this episode are the same. Anyway, I liked episode 4 of season 1 so I naturally liked this one.

EDIT: It took me until episode 7 of Repeat to realize that the song Renge played on the recorder was the school anthem.
ThreePercentApr 3, 2016 12:12 AM
Apr 20, 2016 7:52 AM

Jun 2015
I really like this show.

The first part, with Renge dressed up as a teru bouzu, was pretty funny. The second, with Renge's tadpole shrimps, was rather sad, but still with a happy ending. Yeah, I'll say it again: I really like this show. I can't pick a favorite character, tho; they're all good. I just wish that dude with glasses spoked once in a while.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Apr 22, 2016 1:02 PM

Jun 2011
I don't like the sisterly relationship that is developing with Rin and Natsumi, like when she was carrying her on a piggyback, like a mature person.

Also, Rin has such attention-to-detail drawings for a first grader.:O But I liked how she expressed herself.

2/5
Angry_Anime_NerdApr 22, 2016 1:06 PM
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
May 21, 2016 3:31 AM

Aug 2009
teru teru arc was fun

tadpole shrimp arc was sad... seeing renchon not crying is even sadder

and dem renchon sketches

would have been really depressed if they didn't close it on a higher note there

5/5
Jun 27, 2016 6:38 AM

Feb 2016
Even though it's funny to see the typical style of non non like for example some still scenes which amplify the character of an individual presented in the anime I still have to complain about it because sometimes it's just killing screen time.
Aug 19, 2016 9:02 AM
Jul 2016
Flatty-san
Never Forgetti
2013-2013
Sep 25, 2016 4:24 PM

Jul 2014
This episode encapsulates what Non Non Biyori is all about. Adorable.
Oct 6, 2016 8:08 AM

Oct 2015
An emotional rollercoaster of an episode. 5/5
Oct 20, 2016 11:32 AM

Jun 2016
This week in Komari's Yuujinchou, Koma-senpai faces her scariest challenge yet.

..Or not.

These scenes made me tear up. The previous season didn't deliver such a punch in the feels, so this was unexpected.

Definitely my favourite episode in the series so far. Renge-chon, please become a marine biologist when you grow up.
Nov 20, 2016 1:44 PM

Apr 2013
Yay for more flatties :3
Dec 28, 2016 4:22 PM

Feb 2015
(REWATCHING)

I am honestly so shocked at the amount of people who had bad things to say about this episode. Have you people no heart? Does this give you no warm feeling inside at all? Then there is something very wrong with you o_0

Such a sweet episode, I almost started to tear up at the end. Truly wonderful episode. Renge is the sweetest thing ever!!
Apr 7, 2017 2:32 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode 5/5

Their rural area is a paradise it's so beautiful, too bad finding work or working in rural areas sucks, it's pretty much perfect only when your in vacation, or if your someone who doesn't need to work yet. the teru teru bouzu yokai part is funny while the second part give me some sort of nostalgia from the time when i was little and had a pet frog.

For the people who complains about how "nothing happens" and the guy that act like a smartass and over analyze stuff but too stupid to realize this is a SOL anime, seriously are these people so dumb that they don't even realize that this anime isn't for them? or are they masochist? which is it?stop watching if you don't like it dumbass, Simple as that.
Jul 1, 2017 1:41 PM
Jul 2015
Amazing episode~
Jul 4, 2017 10:11 PM
Dec 2012
What a nice episode. Renge's quite the artist too.
Sep 1, 2017 10:45 AM

Jun 2016
Why is Ren-chon so adorable? Gaaaah. This episode made love her moooooore!

Ren-chon being a teru-teru bouzu doll and it's the cutest teru-teru bouzu doll I've ever seen. Waaah. And her scaring Komari-chan. Hahaha.

Ren-chon taking care of Flatty-san and omg she was so sad when they died, but Natsumi-chan did something and finds out Flatty-sans laid eggs, so Ren-chon is happy again. Gaaaaaah!

I honestly don't want to see Ren-chon sad, I want her to smile and be happy always. I just love her so much! My baaaaby. <3

Ugh. This episode is so precious I can't even. ;-; <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 5, 2017 1:34 PM

Jun 2013
One of the best episodes so far, I got emotional about tadpole shrimps.
Nov 15, 2018 12:14 AM

Feb 2017
This episode was another example of how NNB isn't afraid of holding a scene in front of the viewer. Aside from all the nature and object still shots, the show held the scenes where Renge is playing her recorder and where Renge is standing in front of the shrimp's grave for a considerable length of time. The show doesn't mind forcing the viewer to dwell on some reflective scenes.
Dec 12, 2018 8:33 AM

Jun 2017
An overall pleasant and relaxing episode of Non Non Biyori. Poor Koma-chan though, lol, getting chased and running in fear for her life and then when she thought that she's finally saved, an even worse fate awaited her, Pretty cute reaction of her. Renge is also adorable as always.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Dec 23, 2018 12:50 PM

Sep 2011
eski514 said:
This episode was another example of how NNB isn't afraid of holding a scene in front of the viewer. Aside from all the nature and object still shots, the show held the scenes where Renge is playing her recorder and where Renge is standing in front of the shrimp's grave for a considerable length of time. The show doesn't mind forcing the viewer to dwell on some reflective scenes.

The difference being that NNB knows how to hold the scene and which scenes to hold. I want to make my stance perfectly clear on this topic - I think held scenes are bad and I think they are lazy. In the exceedingly rare case where the hold is used with purpose, there are better ways to make a point and better ways to have the viewer reflect on a point that is being made. Most of the time held scenes are used because they ran out of stuff to do and needed to pad the run time. NNB makes it work because the whole point is about the every day life in the sticks where nothing happens.

The episode focused on Renge and sitting there playing a recorder until dinner is ready is very much in line with what I expect from her. Second, the scene with her standing outside in the rain works because it shows her maturity in really the only way you can given the amount of time we spent with the tadpoles. She wanted to spend more time with them. She was fine writing how she felt in her journal instead of breaking down like most kids her age would. If the same thing happened for any other character in this series I would have said it was in poor taste.

Let's be honest though - Renge is a free pass to mess up however they want.

---

In response to the first page of comments made 3 years ago, I want to express my disappointment in you for not liking a series because you projected your expectations onto it. See the series for what it is, not for what you want it to be. Failure to do so removes any and all credibility you may have. The series is not a comedy, and shame on MAL for labeling it as one. Likewise, if you have not picked up on this fact by the end of the first season, decided to watch the second, and STILL want to complain about it not being a comedy...
ShirashoDec 23, 2018 12:55 PM
May 16, 2019 9:11 AM

Nov 2016
Ren-chon is carrying this series almost on her own. The switch from hilarious at the beginning to super adorable at the end, she's quite something.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 27, 2019 3:59 AM

May 2016
Ren chon is the best creature ever.
Jul 2, 2019 7:13 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
hlubkoj2020 said:
This was good...and sad.
Komari got scare of Renge when she dress up as teru teru bozu.
I got curious about tadpole shrimp so I google the picture and boy they look awesome.

Nah, they are fucking gross, I googled while watching and damm, they look disgusting IMO.

Great episode, very different first and later parts, that ending was soo harming too, Renge's way to express really delivers raw emotion so well, you can see she is slowly learning about life, and I m glad at least this episode ended in a positive note for her.
Aug 28, 2019 11:53 PM

Jul 2016
This episode was just adorable
Dec 28, 2019 4:37 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow Triops in anime, I was doing the same thing when I was a kid so I feel concerned, lovely episode <3
Jan 29, 2020 11:49 AM

Aug 2018
Another warm memory for Hotaru, together with Komari under umbrella~ ;P
Renge totally can look like a serial killer or something..
Oh no.. Komari is going to meet Renge.. Poor girl..
Well, Renge looked more like a ghost, probably.. It's funny.. ;p But also poor Komari..
Oh! (in Renge's voice, lol) Previously we saw Renge's named flowers, I remember.. When she also acted as an fairy or someone like that.. And now after rain we got to see flowers named after Hotaru!~ Komari showed her.. ;p It's very nice, I'd guess, to have flowers names after you.. Well, when you like, how they look, though, but I guess majority of flowers look pretty or cute..
Somehow fishes died.. Wonder, what Renge thinks about it.. She seems to be thinking quite some about it, and visiting their grave..
Also drew herself crying in the diary..
Guess, in the end it resolved.. I'm still a bit sad even with happy outcome or something.. Well, because.. New ones will die quickly, and after that ones, and then after.. Would this be happy life?.. Honestly, maybe I'd want to release these new born ones.. But well.. They can do, what they want themselves, really.. Just for me it's not really happy end, even if they're happy for now.. I guess, it's bittersweet or something..
Maybe fanservice episode next?..
Jul 13, 2020 12:21 AM

Sep 2019
i felt so nostalgic after watching this episode,great episode

"俺は海賊王になる男だ!!!"
Jul 14, 2020 4:29 AM

May 2011
My goodness, what a great episode. The first half was straight up hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing; especially the moment Komari saw the ink running down the mask T.T. The second half though was so heartwarming and poked you in the feels a little bit. Poor Renge. I'm glad new flatties were born 💭

I might have to get into drawing pictures of myself in my current moods, too. Heh.
( ̄y▽, ̄)╭
Jul 30, 2020 7:31 PM

Jul 2016
A kid experiencing the cycle of life with tadpole shrimps. Truly perfect execution of the atmosphere in that regard.

Also, nicely done, Natsumi. For being so perceptive.

Nov 8, 2020 2:19 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I’d label this one as overall boring. Still good, just boring, for me. Remember despicable me? Really funny, with the minions being the best part I’m sure most of you would agree. They saw that they were super popular and made a whole movie dedicated to the minions, and while it didn’t suck total ass, it definitely wasn’t as funny as their smaller moments from the original movies. They were much better in smaller doses. That’s renge for me, you definitely need her character to complete the heart and soul of their squad of 4, but when you have a decent chunk dedicated just to her, it falls flat for me. Flatter than Flatty-san, RIP. As long as at least 2 of the 4 are together interacting, it’s really good. But just renge just always gets solo screen time for herself, while it’s cute, the best of the show is when they’re together

It was quickly glossed over but renge essentially saying that she didn’t want to catch more tadpoles because she didn’t want to feel the pain of losing them got me in the feels for a minute.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Dec 24, 2020 5:17 PM

Apr 2020
Komari's reaction when she saw Renge wearing a raincoat was very funny
Jan 4, 2021 9:34 PM

Dec 2019
wow this might just be the very best episode the series so far (for me) I thought the first half was funny and the second half was super heartwarming.
Feb 10, 2021 10:13 AM

Jun 2020
Man, Renge is the purest anime character I have ever seen....
Jul 4, 2021 12:10 PM

Nov 2018
When I saw Renge disguised as a teru teru bozu, I instantly thought to myself that she could have been mistaken for a ghost. Than I imagined all the ruckus if Komari would have seen her 😂. Needless to say that when I saw Komari in the rain, I started laughing as I have already pictured in my mind everything that followed. There was only one exception: I haven't anticipated that Kazuoh would put on a mask too!

The tadpoles story was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. After I laughed at the teru teru bozu moment, I burst into tears when Renge discovered the tadpole babies. I had a hunch that Natsumi was up to something! At any rate she proved both incredibly clever and considerate on this occasion. After discovering a maturer side of Komari during the event when she went with Hotaru to watch the stars, now I witnessed a brighter side of Natsumi! I like Non Non Biyori Repeat more and more!

I love Renge's diary!!!🥰
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Oct 9, 2021 5:59 PM

Jan 2019
What a beautiful episode! First, Koma-chan running away from Renge dressed as Teru Teru Bozu. Then it was Renge finding out what it's like to witness death. It seems like something trivial dealing with a small pet, but for a child, few things are important and change the way she sees life.
Oct 23, 2021 2:54 AM
Jul 2021
Love this episode so much ❤️😍❤️
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2015

114 by nirererin »»
Jul 1, 12:03 AM

» Random Fact: Non Non Biyori and Repeat took place at around 2004.

VaasMontenegro - Aug 17, 2021

12 by bassyey »»
Mar 4, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2015

122 by Sun_Chan »»
Jan 2, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2015

95 by Sun_Chan »»
Jan 2, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Repeat Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 3, 2015

105 by Sun_Chan »»
Jan 2, 1:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.