Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 28, 2008 11:56 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Things really heated up this time. I feel horrible for Tanabe, having to put up with Hoshino who's going for broke to Jupiter. What he's doing is exactly as her friend said. I wonder how things will turn out? At this point, if he goes to Jupiter, I don't think there's any way for Tanabe to be taken with him. If he doesn't make it, will she take him back? Hoping for the best!
Sep 5, 2008 3:57 AM

Jan 2008
Hoshino was annoying this episode. Now that he is going to Jupiter, what about Tanabe?
Oct 23, 2008 4:17 AM

Feb 2008
this was just the first test, theres no guarantee that he's going yet. and if he doesn't make it, i don't think Tanabe should take him back, not after the way he's treated her.
Feb 16, 2009 8:08 AM
Sep 2008
man hachi being so coldhearted makes me a sad panda :( makes you want him to fail the test and be back with debris but idk. and yeah 18 people being choose out of 20000 aspirants is crazy, there's no chance tanabe would go with him.
Apr 5, 2009 1:58 PM

Jun 2008
That's life. He had a dream and he's going for it. Good stuff.
May 23, 2009 6:32 PM
May 2008
im pleased he got his dream, but now that his dream is a reality he has no dream. plus he screwed up all around him. depressing
Feb 20, 2010 7:25 PM
Apr 2009
Hoshino is really retarded.
May 17, 2010 5:44 PM

Sep 2009
Geez....how's this mess going to be sorted out. Hachirota and Tanabe need more communication. Still several episodes left...enough time for things to be sorted out.
May 18, 2010 12:04 AM

Mar 2010
I feel as though Hoshino doesn't realize what he's doing. He's pushing for his dream because he thinks it's what's right but I think before the series is over he'll have a change of priorities.

Oct 7, 2010 9:59 PM

Jun 2009
I enjoyed the fact that he ignored the girl in the water and went about completing the test as normal. I enjoyed even further the fact that Locksmith liked what he did. In any other anime, he would have saved her and would have passed the test becuase of his "honourable actions". I also agree with the comment Hakim made about having a job being a safety net. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Well done, Hoshino.

googz said:
I feel as though Hoshino doesn't realize what he's doing. He's pushing for his dream because he thinks it's what's right but I think before the series is over he'll have a change of priorities.

I sincerely hope he doesn't go "oh lol oops that was silly well ima go back to Technora now cya guys".
Oct 12, 2010 1:09 PM

Aug 2009
Hachirota has his own priorities. That is all.

And I approve him not helping that idol. This was a near-reality test, and that accident was totally her fault. As D. Gray-Man's Lavi said: "This is war!".
Oct 13, 2010 8:00 PM

Jun 2009
The assist. manager news debut haha
The ending didn't happen either, but considering the whole story this added a twist
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Dec 11, 2010 8:00 AM

Jan 2009
If live is really like Hachi thinks it is, this world would be wonderful...
Jan 19, 2011 11:26 PM

Feb 2010
Awesome stuff..This episode was jam packed with so much character development and Emotions...Though kinda irritating Hachimaki was the star of this episode with his firm Conscience..I would have done the same thing but with being more Kind towards my Girlfriend.
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2011 12:45 PM

Aug 2010
So Hachi is a loner, it kinda suits him at the moment. But he should take friends advice and think about those around him...
Apr 4, 2011 4:27 PM
Jul 2010
Everybody is so mad at Hachi, just because of Tanabe. Who cares, there are billions of women, most of whom are far more interesting than her. Hachi has only got a few dreams, and is displaying the ability to fulfill them.
Jun 11, 2011 11:23 PM

May 2010
Wow I actually love this episode, especially that Locksmith guy. Why everyone hates Hoshino? Hachi is actually going to make it and he made some good points when he was fighting with Cheng-shin
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 5, 2011 8:24 PM

Mar 2011
Huh!

What's more important? Dreams or friends? I guess we know Hachi's response to that question!

Poor Tanabe, she got sidelined!
Nov 21, 2011 7:36 PM

Jan 2009
Dreams or friends? You can have both, unless you're an ass like Hachirota
Feb 29, 2012 5:57 AM

Aug 2010
Am I the only one who supports Hachi here? I think what he's doing is right. He TOLD the fuck out of Cheng. Looks like he made the cut.
Mar 25, 2012 8:55 AM
Jun 2010
Both Locksmith and Hachimaki were awesome, the right attitude for serious business.
I suppose Hachi could be more empathic towards Tanabe, but then again, whats the point? If their relationship wont last few weeks of separation what about 7 years?
Apr 3, 2012 11:41 AM

Aug 2008
I think Hachi has to go through this point for the series, so I don't mind. But I don't support Hachi's ambition, more like, I'm part of those people who are agaisnt the whole exploration on Jupiter. Just the the reporter said, why are they going to Jupiter, going to pollute it when we can't even take good car of the Earth. We are so egoist.
Jun 4, 2012 5:51 AM
Apr 2011
Lol well we at least know what Hachi's priorities are: his dream over everything else, including Tanabe. Goes to show how much he honestly thinks about her :/ He's becoming pretty heartless though, I wonder if he continues down this path, if he'll become like that guy in charge (who called himself egoistic).

And did anyone else notice? At the very very end, they showed Hachi's recorded time for the underwater test- 2:15 (I'm guessing 15). Damn! That's really quick compared to Hakim who got the other lowest timing (bout 5 minutes).
Jun 28, 2012 10:12 PM

Aug 2010
I think Hachi's ambition and dedication to his dream is admirable, even if its done in a way that is dickish. To be one of the people who is less than 1/1000 for anything you want that badly, you really do need to have that kind of dedication and focus only on your dream. Is it selfish? Sure, way selfish, but the fulfillment of your ultimate dreams and visions usually involve being selfish. Happiness is, many times, a selfish act.

Kurini said:
I'm part of those people who are agaisnt the whole exploration on Jupiter. Just the the reporter said, why are they going to Jupiter, going to pollute it when we can't even take good car of the Earth. We are so egoist.

Right on, I agree. That part really hit home with me, too.
Jul 12, 2012 4:59 PM

Feb 2012
I'm actually happy that Hachi is behaving the way he is, pursuing his dream so single-mindedly. He always came off as a bit of a jerk, but they've made the point that sometimes you need to be unpleasant to achieve something. It's not nice for Tanabe, but frankly I haven't enjoyed the romance parts. It's been too much of a high school romance between two people who are at heart very different. Besides, if Hachi acts like a jerk towards Tanabe now, he'll be like that in the future as well. Sure, love changes people.... for a while. Then it's back to the same behaviour patterns that can only be changed through hard work.

Overall I was expecting a bit more from the series. The first quarter was just average and then we got some good episodes about space exploration. But then we had episodes focusing on a rather average romance again. I'm hoping they'll follow the direction of this episode for the remaining series.

Also, people here seem to criticise the Jupiter mission but I take it to be important because as some character said in an earlier episode, they're already dependent on using the space for resources, so they can't back off now. As I gathered the Jupiter mission is important for getting enough energy. Granted, since they seem to have fusion reactors it seems a bit of a stretch.. just how much energy do they need if the Hydrogen and Helium on Earth are not enough?
Jul 24, 2012 8:59 AM

Jul 2011
hznu said:

This. Honestly, I never cared for Tanabe.
Tyestor said:
I enjoyed the fact that he ignored the girl in the water and went about completing the test as normal. I enjoyed even further the fact that Locksmith liked what he did. In any other anime, he would have saved her and would have passed the test becuase of his "honourable actions". I also agree with the comment Hakim made about having a job being a safety net. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

All this!

Kurini said:
I'm part of those people who are agaisnt the whole exploration on Jupiter. Just the the reporter said, why are they going to Jupiter, going to pollute it when we can't even take good car of the Earth. We are so egoist.

I'd be saying that for weapons and money used for war and such. They're now dependent on space - they need the resources, so it's necessary.
MirorinJul 24, 2012 9:06 AM
Sep 25, 2012 4:04 PM
Jul 2009
I've never liked Hachirota.
Jan 25, 2013 4:06 AM

May 2012
Nice buildup for that last sentence in the end! Nice episode, lets get to Jupiter!
Aug 7, 2013 8:18 AM
Apr 2012
damn it, he got selected!
Nov 30, 2013 11:22 PM

Nov 2009
I hate Hachi! Why he do dis? He finally asks out Tanabe just to leave her and basically says that they are just a burden in this episode. Ungrateful. >.<
Apr 5, 2014 11:50 AM
Nov 2013
Kurini said:
Just the the reporter said, why are they going to Jupiter, going to pollute it when we can't even take good car of the Earth. We are so egoist.

I think it's simple-minded to think this way for one field. We need further development from science. It's more for war because honestly it doesn't further or prosper anything. We waste so much money on it. I'm pretty sure it would be beneficial if we use tax dollars to help folks around the globe with poverty and tax the churches as well. We don't need nuclear weapons. But we do need science.
Jul 25, 2014 9:43 PM

Dec 2007
Tanabe should just dump Hachi and go for Cheng Shin damn it. Sure, it's understandable for Hachi to chase his dreams and all that, but he could treat Tanabe better than he is.
Ich verstehe nicht
Jul 31, 2014 10:08 AM

Aug 2013
Omg, Hachi is just a egoistic-simple-minded stupid bastard. He acts like child in grade school.
Life = dreams AND feelings. It can' be seperated, you will be happy in your life only if you combine feelings and dreams.
rsc-plJul 31, 2014 10:15 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 13, 2014 6:34 AM

Nov 2011
hznu said:

Hooray for Werner Locksmith too! Finally a NORMAL person in this show. (Dolf is also a good guy)
Sep 30, 2014 10:52 AM

Oct 2009
Picking Jupiter over Tanabe... what an idiot T_T
Gib [img] plz
Feb 1, 2015 10:48 AM

Jul 2011
I really liked Locksmith in this episode.
May 2, 2015 12:41 PM

Oct 2013
hurr durr I dont like how this anime is progressing I'm a disgusting weeaboo >.<
Aug 14, 2015 2:38 PM
Dec 2014
Hachi mah nigga.
Sep 30, 2015 3:37 PM

Apr 2014
Zinvince said:
The assist. manager news debut haha

His fifteen seconds of fame:)
---------My Profile------------
Dec 8, 2015 5:00 PM

Sep 2015
hznu said:

His dream was to own his own spaceship, not head off to Jupiter wasn't it?

Hachi's sudden determination to get onto the Von Braun at the expense of all his relationships with people really has just come out of nowhere. What was the point of the previous 18 episodes of character development if they are gonna suddenly do a 180 with regards to his personality.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Jan 16, 2016 8:24 AM
May 2012
OnTheShore said:
hznu said:

Hachi's sudden determination to get onto the Von Braun at the expense of all his relationships with people really has just come out of nowhere. What was the point of the previous 18 episodes of character development if they are gonna suddenly do a 180 with regards to his personality.

Yep, and he didn't play it cool with Cheng Shin. He is like a whiny kid now.
And that girl still has 20 minutes, right? No need to save her, really. Maybe they didn't know that she still has 20 minutes. Oh well.
Apr 10, 2016 1:25 AM
Jul 2010
I support Hachi's decision to go for his dream and I don't mind if he breaks up with Tanabe. They've only been together for like 2 months, so it would be weird if he gave up on his dream to be with her. That being said, Hachi definitely isn't astronaut material. He's violent and temperamental. He often gets into fights and punches people instead of settling arguments in a more mature way. The way he talked to Cheng Shen at the end of this episode is another example of his poor people skills. 0/10 would not select to go to Jupiter.
Apr 26, 2016 3:03 PM

Jul 2015
Holy shit what the fuck happened, Hoshino don't make any sense and become an a character i hate, what ?
Jun 28, 2016 4:22 AM

Mar 2015
I respect Locksmith ideals. It makes sense to me since we are talking about going to Jupiter so risk is always on. I dont blame Hachi either when that tennis girl is in trouble.

2.8/5
Jun 30, 2016 7:34 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Hachimake really did leave the debris section to apply for the upcomming Jupiter mission.

On the tetsing grounds he meets old friends in Chieng-Shin and Hakim, who are also going to take the test.

So many different topics to be testes. From written exams, to athletic tests and underwater exercises. You really have to be a prime human to pass this test as one of the 18 best. 20.000 applicants are taking the test too. Rivalries are to be ensured.
Forum signature
Aug 19, 2016 9:19 PM

Nov 2014
OnTheShore said:
hznu said:

His sudden desire to go to Jupiter confuses me. Throughout the last 15 or so episode, his dream was to own a spaceship and then ever since the radiation incident, his dream is now to go to Jupiter, like what?

I feel bad for Chieng-Shin, sticking up for Hakim throughout the entire series and for what really? Also, there's a difference between following your dream and being a dick and abandoning everything to chase after a goal. To those who think you have to choose one or the other, I'd love to hear stories of how to land a successful job with no connections and friends.

Hachimake getting more annoying by the episode. Curious if he can get more annoying by the end of the anime.
Jan 15, 2017 6:16 PM

Apr 2014
i really like Cheng-Shin....why is it always the supporting characters that are the best (Hakim,Fee, and "Swan" are pretty solid characters as well)... how i wish he ended up with Ai :'( i kinda wanted him to at least get on that Jupiter mission since she rejected him

i feel like Hachi's character development is the opposite of progression. he keeps getting more selfish and annoying, in my opinion at least

at one point this anime was a solid 8/10 for me but now it's barely hanging on a 7/10. i have no idea where this anime is heading, the pacing is really weird. what happened to the whole debris collecting thing and how it saves space? owning a spaceship?
belovingJan 15, 2017 6:26 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2017 7:21 AM

Jun 2013
I really couldn't care less about the Von Braun subplot. I can't take Locksmith seriously, and Hachimaki is more annoying than ever before.

owlpoop said:
what happened to the whole debris collecting thing and how it saves space? owning a spaceship?

It's like I'm not even watching the same show anymore.

hysterical_ said:
I really like how far Locksmith will go in order to test the applicants. He doesn't want people who values moral over logical reasoning. The things he said is not entirely wrong; this test reflected on the mentality of people who will be part of the mission and this situation and actions could happen if it really did happened such as people prioritized saving one which cost the lives of all the people onboard.?

Locksmith blew up a lab with hundreds of employees still inside... because his engine needed a few final adjustments. Does that sound logical and reasonable to you? Locksmith would be an interesting character, if his methods made any sense. But they don't. He's just an edgy character for the sake of being an edgy character.

If the crew is essentially disposable, what's the point of a manned space mission? Space missions are inherently a team effort, and idiots who are only looking out for themselves would only be a liability, not an asset. Either way, in reality, only people who are crazy or have a death wish would sign up to man the Von Braun, considering the impulsive sociopath in charge of the project. And people like that wouldn't make good astronauts.
LeeTailorAug 7, 2017 7:49 AM
Aug 7, 2017 3:16 PM

Apr 2014
LeeTailor said:
I really couldn't care less about the Von Braun subplot. I can't take Locksmith seriously, and Hachimaki is more annoying than ever before.

owlpoop said:
what happened to the whole debris collecting thing and how it saves space? owning a spaceship?

It's like I'm not even watching the same show anymore.

i don't remember much about this show, which is a bad sign. and apparently i gave it a 6/10, so- yikes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2018 10:25 PM

Mar 2016
I’m disappointed with the turn this series took. Hachi is being a dick. I understand it’s his new dream, but he could at least treat people better in the process of following it. How is he going to feel when he makes it to Jupiter but is completely alone? Or worse, how is he going to feel if he doesn’t make it and is completely alone? I’m sure the Debris Section would take him back, but how could he face everyone after the way he has acted? I feel bad for Tanabe...they hadn’t been dating that long so I can understand her not being his biggest priority, but it’s still a punch to the gut for her, especially since he won’t talk to her about it like an actual, functioning, communicative human being.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Planetes is a gem

TeBaTe - Oct 6, 2022

35 by TeBaTe »»
Oct 16, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

56 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 22, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 20 Discussion

aero - Sep 5, 2008

45 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 21, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 18 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

41 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 11:25 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 17 Discussion

aero - Sep 2, 2008

34 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 10:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.