Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2011 1:48 PM
Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought this was pretty mediocre. I intend to watch Heavy Metal L-Gaim some day and hopefully that is better. Obviously they had a mythology pretty developed and it is hard to incorporate all that into a one hour story. I was kind of disappointed that the mecha only showed up for the last five minutes or so, also.
Sep 3, 2011 11:24 AM

Apr 2011
I enjoyed it, but yes, there definately needed to be a lot more mecha action. It felt like they were taking their sweet time with the first half, where not much happened, and then tried to cram everything else into the second 30 minutes.

Ah well, I loved the art style. Wish there were more movies so the plotline could be explored further, but I guess it wasn't enough of a success that anyone ever picked it up again. Yes, I know there's a manga, but that makes it even stranger that nobody ever adapted any more of it. Of course, Nausicaa was popular and they never adapted the rest of that, either. What I wouldn't do for an updated version of that one ...
Nov 9, 2011 4:44 PM

Jan 2008
It's pretty shot for shot with the first volume of the manga, the biggest problem is that more films weren't made. I that Nagano, being the perfectionist he is, wasn't pleased with it and that the director wasn't that familiar with the source material either. I'm not even sure how that's possible when the end product is rather fantastic. Besides, adapting more of the manga wouldn't have mattered, because it jumps around throughout thousands of years and over many different stories and characters, so nothing would really be that coherent; the manga and mangaka are quite enigmatic.
Mar 29, 2014 4:36 PM
Mar 2012
Unfortunately not much action even though mechs were showcased throughout the movie. Sucks that it was only an hour long movie, they could have explained the story more if they had more time.
May 19, 2015 2:12 PM

Mar 2015
Was a bit boring tbh,if only more anime were made it wouldn't feel pointless.
Might check out the manga though.
Jun 14, 2015 12:56 PM

Feb 2008
Even without reading the manga you can tell that this is pretty much the opening to a great saga, and it made me interested and hungry for more of it. The art was really superb, especially the backgrounds and mech designs (it's Nagano designs after all). It was a bit of a bummer to only see a couple minutes of action, since the designs were really good and I'd love seeing them in action. But I don't mind how it ended up, the story and characters were still really interesting.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 2, 2016 8:11 AM

Feb 2012
That scenery animation.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 31, 2017 3:59 PM

May 2012
Well this sure was quite the nice movie if you ask me, better than expected to be honest! Especially liked the overly shoujo style for the characters and lovely environment background detail! Apart from the last part of the movie there wasn't much mecha involved, but still quite a lovely piece I must say.

All in all a pretty solid movie and that all because of Wakamoto Norio having a VA role in it!
Apr 2, 2019 9:18 AM

Dec 2016
Pretty solid, I liked a lot of the visuals, music was good.
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 3, 2019 6:52 AM

Jan 2013
I had high hopes seeing the intro regarding the artificial life / android aspect but it didnt really do anything with it.

We barely get to know the characters or the story.
Maybe it's because it's only an hour and it feels like it's supposed to be something much bigger
Mar 30, 2020 10:32 AM

Mar 2015
I've been keeping an eye on FSS since I saw some gifs from the movie and read that It's a Mecha/Fantasy combination which seems interesting, finally decided to watch the movie.
The scenery and the mech designs are very beautiful, gorgeous visuals.
I liked the mirage knights, the Amaterasu seems like an interesting faction.

I'm planning on reading the manga, I hope that they focus more on the mechs
Nov 23, 2020 5:55 PM

Nov 2012
It felt and pretty much was a prologue to a grander story that we will probably never get to see or read.

The movie covered the first volume/story arc of the manga, the manga however went into hiatus for 9 years at one point, it did come back in 2014 but to this date it seem like the manga has yet to be complete (and is likely to stay that way forever).

Anyways the visual in this were beautiful especially in BD quality.

More images here.
Jan 3, 2021 8:05 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It was a pretty good mecha 80s movie to be honest, but too bad it is too short, only 1 hour, so the whole plot was really rushed and it lack of action except for the last 20 minutes, it would have been really good if it was longer and also with more explanations
Nov 17, 2021 5:03 AM

Oct 2017
Animation was good, but the execution of plot wasn't
Oct 28, 2023 11:58 PM

Apr 2015
Wow this was such a high production movie and from what I know there is plenty of the source material left to adapt. I wonder why they never made more movies.
This movie was a good introduction and basically did a good job of setting up the world and characters.
Hopefully someday we get sequels to this.
Apr 13, 9:39 PM

Jul 2022
Could have made more of it.
It felt like the story 'finally' begins and then it's over.
Apr 20, 7:14 AM

Feb 2008
Reply to chriskris91
Could have made more of it.
It felt like the story 'finally' begins and then it's over.
@chriskris91 My thoughts exactly. I checked this after watching an AMV for the ED theme, and to my disappointment the best part of this movie was the last 15mins or so.
As a mecha fan, I feel kinda cheated...
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.