Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 17, 2015 11:03 PM

Feb 2010
Why does Kureha keep losing her memories...also, when she remember that Ginko is the kid she used to like, is that "like" the same kind as the "like" between Kureha and Sumika?
Does Kureha also remember something terrible Ginko did before? Is that the reason why Kureha lost her memory?

It seems that this series is about bullying, but even bear bully bear, and bear want to keep distance for human, too...
Did Kureha's mom wants human and bear get along with each other peacefully? Why Kureha went to a place with cruel war?

Do other bear go to human world because of the same reason with Ginko and Lulu? That means, they hate human, and also love human?
Are there other judgements take place while other bears eat other human?
Feb 18, 2015 11:07 AM

Dec 2012
Pabilsag said:
why-so-qwerty said:
Erm I fail to understand how is this show about homophobia when literally every major character is a lesbian?

Yes they are all lesbians but they try to oppress their feelings in favor of the "group". I think it's like this: They are all "friends", and individuals are not allowed to have an individual "special" friend that they like or love more than the others. The invisible girls don't want to become an outcast, so there occurs homophobia.

Well that makes sense, but this can be about hetero relationsips too?.. I mean, about any relationships. We know that homosexual relationships are a common thing in Ikuhara's works, yet none of them are about homophobia. Not that I have anything against covering homophobia in anime.. but, well, I think this anime is much deeper than that.

P.S. if anyone noticed, there are no men in the world of YKA except surreal ikemen trinity, so... this homophobia thing is stupid to some extent :)
Feb 18, 2015 11:42 AM
Jun 2013
why-so-qwerty said:
P.S. if anyone noticed, there are no men in the world of YKA except surreal ikemen trinity, so... this homophobia thing is stupid to some extent :)

No, there are no men just in human world.
I do not agree with the idea of homophobia too, or at least as main message of the anime.
YanohayShellyFeb 18, 2015 11:46 AM
Feb 18, 2015 12:51 PM

Jul 2014
why-so-qwerty said:
Pabilsag said:

Yes they are all lesbians but they try to oppress their feelings in favor of the "group". I think it's like this: They are all "friends", and individuals are not allowed to have an individual "special" friend that they like or love more than the others. The invisible girls don't want to become an outcast, so there occurs homophobia.

Well that makes sense, but this can be about hetero relationsips too?.. I mean, about any relationships. We know that homosexual relationships are a common thing in Ikuhara's works, yet none of them are about homophobia. Not that I have anything against covering homophobia in anime.. but, well, I think this anime is much deeper than that.

Yes, sure this is much deeper. Homophobia is just a small part of its themes. I would say that societal pressures is a fitting broader term. And CookingPriest's theory that the schol is a "reprogramming facility" kind of makes sense. The girls in the school are different from the norm and they are there to become "invisible". As they all seem to be lesbians you could assume that the school wants them to not act out their sexual preferences so that they become "invisbile". But becoming invisible means to betray "yourself". Kureha doesn't want to betray herself and slowly accepts her true self (and Ginko) more than before, because she learned to not back down on love and learned to love and not hate from her mother. That's another one of its big themes: Love (be it platonic love, sexual love, self-sacrificing love, etc).

This anime is mainly about society, societal pressures and love, IMO.

Also, I think that the human world is actually much bigger and we only see a little part of it. The bear world has men, so why not the human world? Maybe there are men in the human world, just not at the school.

Another thing, I have seen people point out that the school looks like a "Pink triangle" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_triangle)... so it all seems to make sense, although it seems so subtle. Ah, yes, the drawers in Yuriika's room has also a "Pink triangle" on it. :)
PabilsagFeb 18, 2015 1:02 PM
Feb 18, 2015 7:47 PM

Jul 2012
Regarding the design of the school, I don't remember if it's been mentioned in these forums or not, but its design (and some other imagery in the show) is heavily influenced by the movie Suspiria. There are also other design influences from Psycho and The Shining, which I've seen mentioned on these forums. I finally got around to watching Suspiria last week, and the general plot is very similar to that of Yurikuma, so that might help inform what's going on with the school, though it's probably not as useful at this point in the show since a lot of the plot details have been laid out.

I haven't seen Psycho, but since the design of Kureha's house (at least the exterior) is a dead ringer for the design of a house in the movie I'd be very curious to see if there are any plot or other similarities between the two, which could inform a bit more of the how and why regarding the events that take place in Kureha's house (like how I've heard that understanding Night on the Galactic Railroad can help with understanding Penguindrum).
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 19, 2015 1:46 AM

Oct 2012
The specific appearance of many of the buildings and the other structures in
Yurikuma is very closely modeled on actual places in Tokyo, as sharp-eyed fans
in Japan have noticed. In particular, the fictional "Arashigaoka Academy" looks
a lot like the real-life Hibiya Library & Museum. See these links for lots of cases
where fans made perfect match-ups between certain still images in the anime
and photos that they took in various real-life places.

http://anitabi.net/blog/2014/11/yurikuma.html
http://kamode.exblog.jp/23307959
http://funakehiro.web.fc2.com/index.html/yurikuma_arashi_seichi2015.html
http://hk-loc.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2015/01/post-2679.html
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5%E6%AF%94%E8%B0%B7%E5%9B%B3%E6%9B%B8%E6%96%87%E5%8C%96%E9%A4%A8

It is not so apparent from the street-level photos. However, from the air, the
Hibiya Library & Museum has the shape of a perfect equilateral triangle. (Three
equal sides.)

It is a very common practice in anime series that they base their backgrounds
on actual places. Here is a webpage with examples from multiple series, all of
which are airing in Winter 2015:

http://anitabi.net/blog/2015/01/2015seichi.html

There is a distinctive tradition among Japanese anime fans that they will go
on a "pilgrimage" to visit the actual locations on which the backgrounds are
based. The Japanese word for "pilgrimage" is 聖地巡礼

If you want to see the "pilgrimage" locations for the anime series which you
love, you just do a Google search combining the Japanese name of the series
(written in kanji or whatever they use) with the Japanese phrase 聖地巡礼

So far, it looks like Yurikuma fans have not yet spotted any real-life house on
which Kureha's house is based.
okanaganFeb 19, 2015 2:10 AM
Feb 19, 2015 7:44 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that reveals other passages of the story still not received, it becomes increasingly clear and readable plot that keeps a single doubt, and who is doing the duplicity between humans and bears?
I would say the Chairwoman, but it would be a shame, because it would be too obvious history.
Narration treated in a very gentle and fun, with really comical moments while having contexts not really joyful.
Drawings and excellent animations, beautiful soundtrack.
Feb 19, 2015 1:32 PM

Aug 2014
Zetsubo667 said:

However I will stand by my theory of Mitsuko being alive and she's in cahoots with Yuriika. It would be odd for them to go out of their way to just have her arm shot and fly into a tree with no corpse being discovered and leave it at that.

Yeah these two are definitely working together, hinted in the opening with them pouring the honey
Feb 20, 2015 5:58 AM

Jan 2015
Hey guys, the official website realeased the plot of the ep 8! Seems interesting.
Feb 20, 2015 8:19 AM

Oct 2012
@Xenocrisi: Thanks for letting us all know! I had been expecting it to be posted
soon. Just now I checked the official website. It turns out that they announced that
it had been posted on February 19th, Tokyo time. So it has been up there for a
while. I normally follow the official Twitter account for the series. However, it seems
that they never repeat the announcement through Twitter. Just now I had a very
quick glance at it, but not enough to get any impression. The brief episode title looks
pretty enigmatic.
Feb 20, 2015 9:38 AM

Feb 2014
Sejin said:
I haven't seen Psycho, but since the design of Kureha's house (at least the exterior) is a dead ringer for the design of a house in the movie I'd be very curious to see if there are any plot or other similarities between the two, which could inform a bit more of the how and why regarding the events that take place in Kureha's house (like how I've heard that understanding Night on the Galactic Railroad can help with understanding Penguindrum).

I'll vouch you to jail if you go to Hitchcock just to learn more about Ikuhara.
Feb 20, 2015 10:38 AM

Jul 2014
surfboard_ said:
Sejin said:

Hehe, yeah "Psycho" doesn't seem to have much in common with YKA (for now at least), but I was really surprised when I watched "Suspiria". YKA seems to have some elements of the movie:

"The Shining", just like "Psycho", doesn't seem to have clear ties to YKA. Except for the visuals. Do you people think these movies are just referenced for the sake of just referencing some movies Ikuhara likes and because they fit so good (e.g. the hexagon pattern from "The Shining")? Or will they functon for something else?
PabilsagFeb 20, 2015 10:41 AM
Feb 20, 2015 10:47 AM

Feb 2014
Pabilsag said:
Do you people think these movies are just referenced for the sake of just referencing some movies Ikuhara likes and because they fit so good (e.g. the hexagon pattern from "The Shining")? Or will they functon for something else?

I guess this helps with overall ambience and implied moods you can think once you correlate the references, but I don't think it will feature anything really meaningful. Theres also a reference to Born to Kill in one of the episodes (I think its the 5th or 6th).
Feb 20, 2015 11:03 AM

Jul 2007
Pabilsag said:
surfboard_ said:

Hehe, yeah "Psycho" doesn't seem to have much in common with YKA (for now at least), but I was really surprised when I watched "Suspiria". YKA seems to have some elements of the movie:

"The Shining", just like "Psycho", doesn't seem to have clear ties to YKA. Except for the visuals. Do you people think these movies are just referenced for the sake of just referencing some movies Ikuhara likes and because they fit so good (e.g. the hexagon pattern from "The Shining")? Or will they functon for something else?

A lot of the shining focuses on the idea of surroundings being more dangerous and threatening than they appear at the first glance. And it IS a story about how a place changes a man.

Which fits the themes they have been doing with the school in YKA
Feb 20, 2015 2:19 PM

Feb 2014
CookingPriest said:
A lot of the shining focuses on the idea of surroundings being more dangerous and threatening than they appear at the first glance. And it IS a story about how a place changes a man.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you. You're saying that there is a strong bond between both works, but thats not very accurate. You can find the themes you mention in both works but they are developed differently and reach different ends.
Feb 20, 2015 7:12 PM

Jul 2012
CookingPriest said:

Thank you! This is the kind of thing I was talking about. With how Ikuhara likes to do his shows, I'd think that when he references something there's a point to it. It may not be a huge, all-encompassing point, and it may not imply a strong connection, but I would think that, by referencing something in a work, the meaning of the (part of the) work that's referenced carries over through that reference, and you can use it purposefully in your own work because of the connection.

surfboard_ said:

Hahahaha! Well...that is why I watched Suspiria... If I'm being perfectly honest, at this point in time that's the only reason I'd watch Psycho. I'm really new to watching stuff closely and critically. I lack pretty much everything (knowledge, experience/practice, the ability to focus for long periods of time while watching something), so I'm slowly trying to learn more about film and watch stuff to gain those things. Right now I don't have what I need to be able to fully understand and appreciate Psycho, so I would just watch it to see what connection there is to Yurikuma. Later on when I can actually appreciate the movie I'd most definitely go back and watch it for its own sake, especially because I've heard numerous times that Hitchcock is one of the great directors.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 21, 2015 5:33 AM
Apr 2014
Despite the weirdness at the beginning of the anime I've somehow grown to like this really much. Especially now with the story progressing somewhere.
Feb 21, 2015 7:53 AM

Oct 2008
"Yuri Amour!"

Feb 21, 2015 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
Sejin said:
Thank you! This is the kind of thing I was talking about. With how Ikuhara likes to do his shows, I'd think that when he references something there's a point to it. It may not be a huge, all-encompassing point, and it may not imply a strong connection, but I would think that, by referencing something in a work, the meaning of the (part of the) work that's referenced carries over through that reference, and you can use it purposefully in your own work because of the connection.

Honestly, I think he is just promoting it so weebs can get into cinema eventually (even though I didn't really enjoyed The Shinning, its one of those films you have to watch eventually)

Sejin said:
I'm really new to watching stuff closely and critically. I lack pretty much everything (knowledge, experience/practice, the ability to focus for long periods of time while watching something), so I'm slowly trying to learn more about film and watch stuff to gain those things.

Mister, you don't need to try THAT hard. Just go and watch.
Feb 22, 2015 7:42 AM
Oct 2012
Zetsubo667 said:
I don't believe Yurika is a bear. Because Yurika is the teacher's first name not surname. Every bear so far had "yuri" in their surname (e.g. Ginko Yurishiro, Mitsuko Yurizono etc) so I think this here is a red-herring to make us think she is one.

However I still think Yurika is a villain just not a bear similar to Kaoru. I think the one who killed Kaoru is Mitsuko as I don't believe she died since Kureha only shot her arm, plus in the brief clip we see of the culprit we don't see their arms, which further hints it being her.

I agree that it was Mitsuko, remember her and Kaoru met up much earlier in the series, it would also explain why Kaoru hates Kureha so much (a mixture of hatred (for wounding Mitsuko) and Jealousy (because I am sure Mitsuko is still obsessed with Kureha)).

Your point about the teacher is very good and it convinced me. While I had been on the "she's a bear" wagon since the first episode, there really wouldn't be a "kuma shock" to reveal it now with so many hints, so that makes me agree that she is a red-herring. Though the meaning of the red boxes still has to be explained and that I believe ties into the bears.

It is also interesting that all the girls immediately forget the classmates who get eaten. This probably ties into Kureha forgetting Ginko. And of course we know that Kureha will think that Ginko is the bear that ate her mother.

So still lots to resolve. Have enjoyed the flashbacks up until now, but am looking forward to getting to the main plot.
Feb 22, 2015 9:57 AM

Jan 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Zetsubo667 said:
I don't believe Yurika is a bear. Because Yurika is the teacher's first name not surname. Every bear so far had "yuri" in their surname (e.g. Ginko Yurishiro, Mitsuko Yurizono etc) so I think this here is a red-herring to make us think she is one.

However I still think Yurika is a villain just not a bear similar to Kaoru. I think the one who killed Kaoru is Mitsuko as I don't believe she died since Kureha only shot her arm, plus in the brief clip we see of the culprit we don't see their arms, which further hints it being her.

I agree that it was Mitsuko, remember her and Kaoru met up much earlier in the series, it would also explain why Kaoru hates Kureha so much (a mixture of hatred (for wounding Mitsuko) and Jealousy (because I am sure Mitsuko is still obsessed with Kureha)).

Your point about the teacher is very good and it convinced me. While I had been on the "she's a bear" wagon since the first episode, there really wouldn't be a "kuma shock" to reveal it now with so many hints, so that makes me agree that she is a red-herring. Though the meaning of the red boxes still has to be explained and that I believe ties into the bears.

It is also interesting that all the girls immediately forget the classmates who get eaten. This probably ties into Kureha forgetting Ginko. And of course we know that Kureha will think that Ginko is the bear that ate her mother.

So still lots to resolve. Have enjoyed the flashbacks up until now, but am looking forward to getting to the main plot.

I agree with you guys, but i think Yurika (she is not a bear for me) cooperate with Mitsuko, Yurika tells to everyone that she was dead, but she is not (Don't ask to me why) From what i remember the Police never said that them found a dead bear (mitsuko i mean). Sorry for my english.
Feb 23, 2015 4:48 AM

Jul 2007
Episode 8 Description:

Certainly seems to point to Yuriika as the bear and not Mitsuko.

There's also the fact that the VERY SAME OST as Yuriika and Kureha's conversations plays in the bedroom scene with mysterious person.

My guess is that
Feb 23, 2015 5:11 AM

Jan 2015
CookingPriest said:
Episode 8 Description:

Certainly seems to point to Yuriika as the bear and not Mitsuko.

There's also the fact that the VERY SAME OST as Yuriika and Kureha's conversations plays in the bedroom scene with mysterious person.

My guess is that

But why Yuriika does this? What happened? I want to know
Feb 23, 2015 7:01 AM

Oct 2012
An article in Animate.TV published just one hour ago contains six still images from
Episode 8. WARNING: Spoilers!
http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1424685779

Still half an hour to go before Episode 8 airs on TOKYO MX.

- - - - - - - -

A couple of days ago, Kureha re-tweeted this picture of Lulu, in her bear form,
walking around Akihabara. When re-tweeting the picture, Kureha added the words,
"I will not give in to the bears, I will eliminate the bears ... Lulu!"

Link to Kureha's tweet: https://twitter.com/ymnnzm/status/569032788956938241

Here is the picture of Lulu in Akihabara:

Medium size image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-WVy05IgAABRNA.jpg
Large size image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-WVy05IgAABRNA.jpg:large
okanaganFeb 23, 2015 7:30 AM
Feb 23, 2015 7:23 AM

Jan 2015
okanagan said:
An article in Animate.TV published just one hour ago contains six still images from
Episode 8. WARNING: Spoilers!
http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1424685779

Still half an hour to go before Episode 8 airs on TOKYO MX.

XenocrisiFeb 23, 2015 7:29 AM
Feb 23, 2015 7:58 AM

Oct 2012
Xenocrisi said:

Indeed!
okanaganFeb 23, 2015 8:33 AM
Feb 23, 2015 1:25 PM

Jun 2014
holyshit this shit is pretty good :o
Feb 23, 2015 3:43 PM

Jul 2009
So glad Harishima was killed! :)
I have this feeling that Ginko did not kill Kureha's mom, that someone is trying to make her get the blame for it, and that someone might be Yuriika.
Feb 23, 2015 9:11 PM

Jun 2014
OH DAMN. NOW WE ARE COOKING WITH FIRE. What crime did Ginko commit? Did she kill the mother? Or did she kill another bear? OR did she save Sumiki? They never found her body did they?
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 25, 2015 4:18 AM

Jul 2013
Needs more Life Sexy shabadado.

Nice ep with insight into Ginko, her past and motivations.

Kaoru was totally wasted and didn´t make sense though. Lame.
Mar 3, 2015 12:24 PM

Aug 2014
okay... I think I kinda get this

Apr 6, 2015 8:06 AM

Jan 2014
This was cool. Ginko x Kureha <3
Too bad Sexy didn't appear :(
Apr 6, 2015 8:47 AM

Jan 2015
FestinaLente said:

Life sexy is everywhere
Apr 7, 2015 11:21 AM

Aug 2014
Xenocrisi said:
FestinaLente said:

Life sexy is everywhere

Is that a call back to revolutionary girl utena... with anthy always preparing shaved ice for dinner?

Possibly... or Ikuhara just really loves shaved ice
Feb 5, 2018 2:06 PM

Jun 2008
silversongwriter said:
Xenocrisi said:

Life sexy is everywhere

Is that a call back to revolutionary girl utena... with anthy always preparing shaved ice for dinner?

Possibly... or Ikuhara just really loves shaved ice

Well... there's also a ~rose~ on the container on the right so everything's possible XD
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

161 by zoluer »»
Aug 9, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.