Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2009 2:17 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn the CGI was really great in this. Probably the best episode so far

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
ShockedJan 21, 2017 3:18 PM
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Dec 5, 2009 7:58 PM

Apr 2008
I am very disappointed by the lack of Steve Downes. :|

But besides that... impressive CGI, a lot of action, we finally get to see Kelly and Fred's faces...
IT. WAS. AWESOME. <3

I absolutely cannot wait for the next part. :3
Dec 6, 2009 11:41 AM

Oct 2009
I liked the CGI and the Star Wars-esque action but the story was barely there, the script awful (the Elite shipmaster was talking nonsense) and the voice acting mediocre (lack of Steve Downes saddens me also).

Again liberties were taken with the canon and once more there was a feeling that the stuff happening didn't really fit into the Halo universe (The UNSC ships cloak, booster frames, the fact that a small group of small single occupant fighters (if you can call them that) somehow manage to fight off an entire covenant fleet, the overweight spartan, spartans dropping like flies, etc).

The next part should have more good action though so I'm looking forward to the visuals and preparing to cringe at pretty much every other aspect.
Dec 8, 2009 8:09 AM

Apr 2008
Meh, D: youtube Q sucks. Didn't enjoy that much~
Dec 8, 2009 5:16 PM

Mar 2009
The plot wasn't as good as ep.2, but the story was told better and the visuals were top notch. If they couldn't have gotten Steve Downes, they should have just said it was a different Spartan.

Topgunuk69 said:
I liked the CGI and the Star Wars-esque action but the story was barely there

I'm guessing (well, hoping) part 2 will have a stronger story and they were just holding off on starting it for now.

Slykain said:
Meh, D: youtube Q sucks. Didn't enjoy that much~

Try dubhappy, I think their quality is a bit better.
Dec 8, 2009 5:24 PM

Mar 2008
Interestingly this segment is written by Dai Saito so you would think the writing would be stronger. But it could just be that this is an action episode and not intended to be heavy on the story.
Dec 8, 2009 7:47 PM
Apr 2009
ShadowAlex said:
Interestingly this segment is written by Dai Saito so you would think the writing would be stronger. But it could just be that this is an action episode and not intended to be heavy on the story.

I can't believe that Dai Saito wrote the script for this... Very very bad. The story and the action seemed very cliche. And the episode managed to put me to sleep in less than a minute. This is not what Halo is supposed to be like. =(
Dec 12, 2009 1:16 PM

Dec 2007
They took a lot from the canon material in this, Kelly, Fred, Halsey, which i have to say i liked. The "spartans dropping like flies" bit is actually somewhat true. Considering the total amount that survived reach, its about right.
My opinion, very nice i will say, yes the story was a tad weak, but it was done well enough. The hud shown was good, but i didn't see the call signs for the other blue team members on johns, which should've been included, specially on an op like that. But thats minor details, so it doesn't matter as much, hah.
Dec 13, 2009 1:35 PM

Mar 2009
I dont know what they are doing with this serie, Because they change the way they are doing it in every episode. But the episode itself was amusing

!Damn, im HOT today! :D!
Dec 13, 2009 2:23 PM

Mar 2008
Ziarra said:
I dont know what they are doing with this serie, Because they change the way they are doing it in every episode. But the episode itself was amusing

At the risk of being redundant they're telling a collection of individual stories and giving the directors the chance to express it visually in their own style.
Dec 13, 2009 8:23 PM
Dec 2009
Topgunuk69 said:
I liked the CGI and the Star Wars-esque action but the story was barely there, the script awful (the Elite shipmaster was talking nonsense) and the voice acting mediocre (lack of Steve Downes saddens me also).

Again liberties were taken with the canon and once more there was a feeling that the stuff happening didn't really fit into the Halo universe (The UNSC ships cloak, booster frames, the fact that a small group of small single occupant fighters (if you can call them that) somehow manage to fight off an entire covenant fleet, the overweight spartan, spartans dropping like flies, etc).

The next part should have more good action though so I'm looking forward to the visuals and preparing to cringe at pretty much every other aspect.

I am an avid Halo freak and DEEPLY into the canon and lore, and was super excited when I learned they were doing Halo anime. I thought to myself, oh man this is going to be so cool! I have thus far been disappointed. The first episode was interesting, to say the least. I'll not nit-pick at it, as I don't really have a problem with it. The second episode, while I do understand was supposed to be an "artistic vision" I was angered by the visual style. It was mind-numbing and hurt my eyes. The story was rather in-depth, but where the hell did it come from? Who was the giant elite in the wacky armor? And since when did the Prophets allow such blasphemous statements to go on like that?

Now on to the third episode, "The Package." I just watched the whole thing last night after the VGA's expecting to be so pumped from overload of Halo that I would nearly explode in my seat. I was brought down from my high of the world premiere of Reach by witnessing the grotesque depiction of Halo lore that is titled, "The Package." From the get-go, the dialogue was horrible. There have never been such corny lines in a Halo story and this will hopefully be the first and ONLY time that this will ever happen. "Let's sprint this." and "That Elite was strong, I have to be stronger" are not things I want to hear superbadass Master Chief Petty Officer John - 117 saying. HORRIBLE dialogue. Next. STEVE DOWNES??? Seriously. If you can't get Downes, don't do the chief. Next, since when was there a FAT SPARTAN? No such thing. Trained from the age of six, and then BIOLOGICALLY enhanced to be super strong? Don't think fat SPARTANs fall into that category... Not to mention the fact that that SPARTAN knows duty before anything else and would NOT have run in there all gung-ho like he had. Then, a cloak on a ship? And what the hell kind of ship ought that to be? A prowler? If it's a prowler, last time I checked, that was NOT the general layout of that ship. Oh well. Fine. So far I can let it go. So next they drop the Booster Frames. Despite the fact that I have NEVER heard of these things before, I'm willing to ignore that and hang on to my life as I watch this drivel pour into my eyes. They take off. The cloak shield drops (wtf, again). Now I'm thinking to myself, "wow, how are one man aircraft supposed to take on an entire Covenant fleet, especially when they have point defense lasers that are DESIGNED to take out craft of that size?" So i sit and watch. Whatever. Next, Kelly gets hit by plasma fire from one of the Seraphs and the frame has SHIELDS? Ok fine. UNSC has managed to adapt SPARTAN shield technology to one manned aircraft. I'll let that one slide. Finally they're on the ship. Not much for a while except for where the Chief says, "Let's sprint this." Lame dialogue. Dismissed. Only one thing in the whole "sprint" to the asset bothers me. When Fred somehow manages to stop a sword with a Galilean Non-Linear Beam Rifle and the HIS BARE HANDS. wow. I wish THAT had been in the games... Now, finally the Chief arrives at the asset and it is none other than Doctor Halsey!!! Surprise! Now, last time I checked, Halsey was a woman in her mid to late FIFTIES and wore glasses. This is where I lost every bit of interest in this episode, but, being the avid fan that I am, I continued to watch, hoping, PRAYING, there would be a redeeming part later in the short. Nope. I was only slammed with more terrible dialogue and watching Dr Halsey look like a 20 year old still in college. Not to mention the fact that they manage to make it seem as though the Chief and Halsey are in love or something. Albeit, it was hinted at Halsey being interested in John as more than an applicant, but not as someone she was physically attracted to. Nor was He to Her. Bottom line is, to me, that Halo legends is making a mockery of the franchise. After all the hard work Bungie put into this to be so fine tuned, it seems as though Frank O'Connor and 343 Studios are not putting the care and effort into this that they should be. I am profoundly disappointed in O'Connor's poor approval of these shorts thus far and I can only hope they begin to shape up for the better. Please. It's hard to ruin something that was already amazing. Frank, please don't have let me down on all of it. Let there be some redeeming quality in all of this...
SpartanB34Dec 13, 2009 8:30 PM
Dec 14, 2009 11:13 PM

Jul 2008
great animation, and we got to see the master chief, yes!
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Dec 16, 2009 9:34 AM
Sep 2009
Yeah, the animation was good, but the story, writing, and obvious Star Wars ripoffs were terrible.
Jan 7, 2010 4:59 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I think because I don't play the video games, I'm missing out on a lot of backstory but, meh w/e I don't care enough.

I don't get it; I didn't see Master chief's face. :/ At the end it pans out of view as he takes off his helmet...

From my pov, I thought it was pretty average and very non-original plot. It was still fun too watch though. lol irony.
p r o f i l e 👀
Jan 7, 2010 6:56 PM
Apr 2009
Naruleach said:
I think because I don't play the video games, I'm missing out on a lot of backstory but, meh w/e I don't care enough.

I don't get it; I didn't see Master chief's face. :/ At the end it pans out of view as he takes off his helmet...

From my pov, I thought it was pretty average and very non-original plot. It was still fun too watch though. lol irony.

None of the episodes in this series has the same "feel" as the original video games. The actual games had a good story which was presented well. This series doesn't. I think the series was supposed to expand on the Halo universe, but so far it has only introduced cliched stories and cheesy action scenes that don't relate well to the original story. Play the games to get the real story. =)
Jan 10, 2010 3:18 AM

Apr 2008
Naruleach said:

If you played the games you'd be used to this happening. XD
Feb 19, 2010 12:03 PM

May 2009
I think this was my favorite after Prototype. The CGI was quite good and there was a lot of action, although on the cost of a good story. It was cool how they integrated some first person scenes - reminded me of the Doom movie.
Feb 20, 2010 4:36 PM
Aug 2009
stAtic91 said:
It was cool how they integrated some first person scenes - reminded me of the Doom movie.
That was my favorite part of the episode. Freaking awesome. That run through the ship gave me chills quite a few times. Despite the plot, the action without a doubt makes this my favorite of the OVAs.
May 6, 2013 12:30 PM

Oct 2012
Awesome episode ,
lots of action, great plot , great graphics

The only thing i was disappointed about was that clearly some rip offs from star wars like the escape pods & some of the Hunter ships looked like CIS command ships from Starwars but overall i don't care even-though i love starwars

Also i would have quite liked to have seen the Hunter and Spartain dish it out at the end , ohwell anyway overall 10/10 episode

So happy theirs an anime out their which you don't have to read subs for >_< and primary language is English

Nov 30, 2014 4:11 PM

Feb 2014
Wow this was so good. It really felt like I was watching the story segments of a video game.
CG was quite good. English dub was better.
After my last encounter with animatrix episode 1, this is the second "anime" that made me say that.

Really enjoyable.
May 11, 2016 3:10 PM

Aug 2013
This okay, I had more hopes for the one actually featuring Master chief heavily , but whatever.
Jan 14, 2017 9:32 AM

Dec 2015
This was very disappointing considering it was Production I.G. who made this episode.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 21, 2022 10:08 PM

Jan 2009
The Duel

Arbiter is a one man army eh sad that he and his wife died

and damn this visual style is kinda hard to see though
Oct 9, 2023 1:59 PM

Dec 2022
The Duel this time. Fal is a force of nature to be able to carve through an entire Covenant army (including three abnormally towering Hunters) like that. Or maybe they're just really incompetent, who knows.

It did feel like I was watching it through an old wavy cylinder glass window though, lol. Not a conventional artstyle by any means.

╔⏤═⏤╝ ╚⏤═⏤╗
Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 2" Discussion

zvuc - Nov 21, 2009

33 by i_gkz »»
Sep 13, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 8 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Feb 4, 2010

15 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 7 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Feb 4, 2010

12 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 3:54 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 6 Discussion

adamh89 - Jan 18, 2010

14 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 3:04 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 5 Discussion

TVV - Jan 9, 2010

12 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.