Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2014 9:38 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Win or loss, I thought they were both winners as they enjoyed playing that match. Nice chapter :P
Apr 26, 2014 10:08 AM

Dec 2007
Yeah, very nice chapter. I hoped Maruo would go all out, Yukichi deserves it.

His mother is finally noticing how good and well known he is :D.
"So you're saying that something someone besides me has to say could have meaning?" - Excalibur (Soul Eater)

"We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it."
Apr 26, 2014 11:50 AM

Mar 2008
That was a good match. Honestly I'm glad they didn't try to artificially make it as hard to win as the Okada match. The skill levels here were just too different.

Still, I really enjoyed this one. Short, but full of emotion. Agree that Yukichi probably doesn't have the mindset to go pro, but he has a lot of heart and showed his ability in getting this far. Of course he wanted to win, but in his heart he also wanted his friend to make his dream come true. A good guy.

And yeah have the few shots of Ei-chan's mother. Now she's getting the chance to see just how good her son is, but how far he's come in that tennis world.

Good chapter.
Apr 26, 2014 12:43 PM

Mar 2010
A cute flashback chapter. Obvious conclusion.

That guy was such a stalker xD
Apr 26, 2014 1:56 PM
Aug 2008
I'm glad that this match took only one chapter. And yet it was really nice to see all this flashbacks ;)
Apr 26, 2014 2:32 PM

Apr 2012
Nice chapter obvious conclusion. Maybe now his mother will be more supportive of him now.

On the last page its mentioned that his next opponent will be Ogata. In chapter 188 Aria says he was the number one of there generation, but he got injured and had to undergo rehab. So its going to be a hard match again.
Apr 26, 2014 8:17 PM

Feb 2008
He did a great job at overcoming all the new pressure sources from last chapter very, very quickly :)

He may have been a bit too ruthless in that second set though ;)

I wonder what his mom will have to say next chapter? And what she thinks about her son having fans? Almost wish they'd talked him up more.
Apr 26, 2014 9:03 PM

Mar 2008
jacobpaige said:
He did a great job at overcoming all the new pressure sources from last chapter very, very quickly :)

He may have been a bit too ruthless in that second set though ;)

I wonder what his mom will have to say next chapter? And what she thinks about her son having fans? Almost wish they'd talked him up more.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the aftermath of this match. This whole tennis thing has been really distant for her. Now she's seeing not only that her son is good, he's really good and has fans. A real switch from seeing him as the "all A" student she knew.

Agree it would have been nice to see more reactions in the stands and her reacting to them.

Wonder if it was less Ei-chan being ruthless and more Yukichi cooling off. Once he lost that first set it probably seemed pretty clear to him where the match was going. Tough when in your gut you actually are pulling for the other guy to win.
Apr 26, 2014 9:54 PM

Dec 2011
Seems like things going good for Maruo for now after all these bad luck before...everyone now has new opinion about him and now his parents might see he is serious becoming pro
Apr 27, 2014 1:28 AM
Aug 2008
I wonder why after 2 years he is still no seed? Even if he won one turnament and got 3rd place in another one?

PS: It was nice to see in newest episode of anime how he just met Yukichii for the first time :) And his mother saying "maybe I should go watch you play" haha. Right in time with manga.

edit@
I mean Yukichi x.x
Wojtini21Apr 27, 2014 3:25 PM
Apr 27, 2014 2:29 PM

Mar 2010
Wojtini21 said:

PS: It was nice to see in newest episode of anime how he just met Oobayashi for the first time :) And his mother saying "maybe I should go watch you play" haha. Right in time with manga.

exactly, i had the same thought. Awesome timing. :D

And i bet he'll be a seed in the next tournament for sure. Maybe he still has too little record. I dont know.
May 27, 2014 12:51 AM

Jan 2013
Nice it wasn't dragged out.
Good chapter.
Aug 6, 2014 5:50 AM

Aug 2010
Glad it was a 1 chp match ^^ I was really worried they might drag it :3 This was nice, fast and emotional. 3 in 1 :D

So nxt is Ogata ^^; I knew Maruo will have to face him soon. So then is Kanda and finale is Nabae. No Araya it seems ^^;

And finally his mom is starting to realize :D FINALLY!! About time!

I think nxt up is Nacchan's match? I hope it doesn't take too long >.<
Jun 10, 2017 12:03 PM

Jul 2013
A short but sweet match, I liked it!

I have this eerie feeling, that he's going to get beaten again urghh :I But then again, that's one of my favorite parts of the series, despite his training Maruo is still somewhat new to tennis and every game against a top seeded opponent is a fierce battle.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 7, 2018 4:21 PM

Jun 2016
Seeing Yukichi win his round and finally get an official match with Maruo made me so happy! I was worried he'd always be the supportive friend who loses one round too early. In fact, the match itself was so emotional. Yukichi was torn. He thanks Maruo for everything, for inspiring him to fight this hard, he wants him to win, but he doesn't want to lose either because that would go against the very inspiration Maruo gave him. I loved the detail on Maruo's perspective where we saw his matrix of options illuminated. After playing someone like Okada who restricts what you can do so much you realize just how much you can do to someone who applies pressure much less monumentally.

The meeting between Maruo's mom and Natsu's parents was adorable. I loved all their interactions. Maruo's mom seems to not even realize how amazing Maruo is! She had no clue he had such a beautiful girlfriend, had no idea how many fans he's gained, had no idea of the skill he played at, and didn't know how much he had grown up.

Aki is showing signs of resistance against her mom, telling her that there's more to her than just tennis, and yelling at her to stop when she even tried to take control of her romantic life. Natsu saying it like it was and being jealous was adorable.

I seriously hope we see Maruo implement Okada's all or nothing style at some point in a future match. Saying this made me think about how he's always been foreshadowed as someone who picked up on things fast. I recall him using Araya's technique against him in the very match he first saw it in with their first game.
Dec 29, 2020 6:14 AM

Apr 2016
This was a very good chapter, it was quite emotional!
May 19, 9:45 PM

Mar 2014
what a bro he is ;-;

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 455 Discussion

Kuma - May 22, 2023

10 by killerqueen2000 »»
Aug 14, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 454 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 447 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 409 Discussion

Kuma - Mar 8, 2021

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 392 Discussion

Kuma - Aug 17, 2020

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.