Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 11, 11:42 AM
Jan 2022
ok so I watched Zero then UBW and then HF 2 years ago and I thought it was great (top 10 anime for me) etc. but now it has come to my attention that a huge part of the Fate fandom is strictly against watching Zero first but why? Obviously you can watch prequels like Zero afterwards which is fine but to me watching it first made me understand UBW better and I don't feel like it damaged my experience of watching UBW. Can someone explain why so many people belive it's better to watch UBW before Zero?

edit: I'm also part of the people that thinks Zero is the best Fate series, seen a lot of people get clowned on for that opinion too ๐Ÿ’€
Ghost_DavoOct 11, 1:54 PM
Oct 11, 11:57 AM
Nov 2022
Ghost_Davo said:
ok so I watched Zero then UBW and then HF 2 years ago and I thought it was great (top 10 anime for me) etc. but now it has come to my attention that a huge part of the Fate fandom is strictly against watching Zero first but why? Obviously you can watch prequels like Zero afterwards which is fine but to me watching it first made me understand UBW better and I don't feel like it damaged my experience of watching UBW. Can someone explain why so many people belive it's better to watch UBW before Zero?

Idk

Fate watch order is all over the place and each installment spoils the other installments. In the case of Fate Zero, it spoils Fate Stay/Night Heaven’s Feel. But if you watch UBW first, you spoil Zero

Watch whatever tf you want in whatever order you want ๐Ÿ˜‚
Oct 11, 11:58 AM
Jun 2023
I don't know. If I watched UBW first, I wouldn't watch anything Fate related anymore, because I hated UBW so much xD
Oct 11, 12:10 PM
Jul 2023
Ghost_Davo said:

I’ll link a Reddit post that goes into further detail but basically, Zero was made as supplemental material to FSN. FSN was always meant to be played first. As a result, explanations into the world and how things work aren’t as thorough in FZ as in UBW. As someone who started with UBW, then HF, then Zero, there are a lot of things in Zero which, if you start with Zero, make no sense. But I think most people don’t do a whole lot of critical thinking while watching Fate, so it probably won’t matter to those people. UBW does spoil some things in Zero, and Vice Versa, but UBW does a better job of getting us introduced to the world, and FSN was intended to be played before learning about Zero.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fatestaynight/comments/f6w32f/comment/fi7ch93/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
Oct 11, 12:11 PM

Nov 2019
Well Zero is made with the knowledge that one has already experienced Stay/Night. So it doesn't care if it has to spoil things in the main story. What were supposed to be plot twists in FSN were just story elements or Easter eggs in Zero. That's the main reason.

It's like watching Star Wars prequels before OG.

However, Ufotable made a gamble by making Zero a introduction of the world to anime-onlies. At the same time, they also felt that VN readers wouldn't mind the "spoilers". It's a weird mashup which leads to the most peculiar conflicts within Fate community.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Oct 11, 12:23 PM

May 2014
Fate visual novel has 3 routes that need to be played one after the other: Fate, UBW and Heaven's Feel. Each one kinda takes for granted you know the information from the last one, and Zero was made after all that.

Going Zero first is a bumpy and more spoilery ride to the verse.
Oct 11, 1:16 PM
Sep 2012
Your good bro , zero was my introduction and I got into the series just fine
Oct 11, 1:23 PM

Sep 2018
You failed in my book not starting with deen fate stay night, but you do you.
Oct 11, 1:24 PM
Jul 2024
imo watching fate zero is more of a bumpy ride, then like starting with fate/stay night then the UBW then with the heaven feel movies it more goes in a chronological order so you wouldn't get confused or spoiled wayy earlier than intended compared to the novels which basically jump into ubw which is completely confusing to someone who never watch the anime but read the books instead
Oct 11, 1:32 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to amarababie
imo watching fate zero is more of a bumpy ride, then like starting with fate/stay night then the UBW then with the heaven feel movies it more goes in a chronological order so you wouldn't get confused or spoiled wayy earlier than intended compared to the novels which basically jump into ubw which is completely confusing to someone who never watch the anime but read the books instead
@amarababie
The visual novel starts with vanilla fate route 1st. Ubw 2nd hf 3rd
I say do fate zero after deen 2006 then go to ubw
Oct 11, 1:43 PM

Aug 2020
because zero is just a lesser work than the main story consisting of the 3 routes of FSN, it reveals a lot of twists in just the first 40 min episode (this is not a two way street because zero does nothing with the things it spoils while FSN uses the things it reveals about zero's ending, kirei, gilgamesh etc to delve into its protagonist)

the meat of the franchise is in the routes of stay night (which arent adapted very well) while zero is just supplementary (that isnt even canonically a direct prequel to shirou's story) like every other spinoff series that spawned after the visual novel's release like apocrypha, strange fake, kaleid liner etc

ideally you would have watched fate stay night 2006 at the start if it were adapted well in place of zero because it covers the first route and because its what actually leads into ubw, doing what u did effectively ruins a lot of heaven's feel if u pay enough attention and remember shit like what happens to sakura. from a blind reader's pov sakura in the first two routes is just the shy underclassman that has no idea about magecraft and the twist that shes actually a victim of lifelong sexual abuse meant to turn her into a magus is saved until the middle of heaven's feel

also generally fate zero fans just have a reputation of being smug about being wrong & uninformed and not caring about the story and characters from a wider perspective which results in them getting clowned on for being secondaries by people who actually read through and appreciated the main work which is overall just far greater in scope and development in just its first third than the entirety of the zero ln
Oct 11, 1:49 PM
Jul 2019
Don't mind those type of "fans" that only care about feeling superior because they watched it a certain way. At the end of the day, it's just anime, to watch it is just a hobby, nothing to brag about.
Oct 11, 3:55 PM
Dec 2022
Ghost_Davo said:

edit: I'm also part of the people that thinks Zero is the best Fate series, seen a lot of people get clowned on for that opinion too ๐Ÿ’€

Most visual novel geeks and elitists who use the argument “zero came out after bc nasu intended it to be consumed this way and zero should be after wards or else u get spoiled about ubw” so u can just ignore them.

I like ubw better but aye valid take.
Oct 11, 3:57 PM
Mar 2021
I watched zero first, but lowkey wish I hadn't because the story was much harder to get into, once you're in it's fairly easy to understand as zero season 2 was amazing; in my opinion people should just start with the basic deen studio's stay night as it has the most information for new fate fans and it assumes you haven't watched any fate before so it explains basically everything, it isn't even bad, it's actually good, people just compare it to ubw and draw their conclusions there, the ubw just has a little better story, better directing and much better animation to basically seem as the obvious alternative, but they still are different stories so... starting with the basic fate/stay night would be my recommendation, then watch them in whatever order basically, (as in zero first or stay night everything first)
Oct 11, 5:50 PM
Jul 2023
Ghost_Davo said:

No fate fan gets into the francise properly
My personally I watched carnival phantasm in 2013 and then read tsukihime and played melty blood
Oct 11, 6:35 PM
Dec 2020
rohan121 said:

are you being fr or is this bait
Oct 11, 7:01 PM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
Please don't worry about those clowns and I say you didn't do anything wrong at all so....

Also yes I agree with you that Fate Zero the best Fate ever :)

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Oct 11, 7:09 PM
Jun 2024
As someone who's just started reading the remastered vn, I can see why people recommend starting with uwb.

For starters, it's one of the least complicated fate stories (in my opinion) and it becomes an easy point of entry for everyone as there's two more "routes" with the same characters, which allows one to get used to the concept of the Holy Grail War.

However, given that Fate/Zero is a prequel, one must keep in mind that there shall be some points from the source material (the vn or the anime) on which Zero builds upon.

Other than that, it's totally upto you since what's done can't be changed. And if you liked Zero, I'd recommend you watch the uwb anime to get into the 5th Holy Grail War or just get the vn on steam.

Hope that helps!

Note: My dumbass is on mobile and English is my second language so mb for any formatting mistakes.
Oct 11, 7:29 PM

Apr 2022
ignore them, from what i've seen it's mostly just the corny elitists on reddit who act like that. i also went zero > ubw > hf order and upon rewatch i did realize that ubw does a better job of explaining how the holy grail war works for first-time viewers but i still think it's valid to start with zero. it would only be wild if you start with something like strange fake lmao.
Oct 11, 7:33 PM

Jun 2022
fault of type moon then ๐Ÿ˜‚
Oct 11, 8:10 PM
Apr 2022
Ghost_Davo said:

Why do you get clowned on for watching fate zero first?
My answer :
1) for reading their comments and posts.
2) for respond to thier comments and posts.
3) for repeating point 1 and 2.

Its the same all opinions in any and every field.
When differing opinions are stated without the understanding between individuals, conflict occur.

When responding to an opinion you disagree with. The conflict reignites.

The conflict doesn't end till someone acknowledges the others opinion to be correct to steps down all by the selves.

Conclusion :
try understanding why think that thier opinion is correct and ask them if need be.

Your decision to make a thread to ask for the reason was the correct though you might get some mean comments.

While people may think there's only one correct answer. The answer only becomes when you believe it to be correct and it becomes correct only for you and for those agree with your opinions.
Pendragon572Oct 11, 8:15 PM
Oct 11, 8:57 PM

Jul 2017
honestly dont listen to what anyone says, watching zero first is best unless youre reading the source material because its the best one in anime form

You can just watch zero and call it a day

Spoilers aren't even that important
Oct 11, 9:12 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to Pillsbury_Uchiha
rohan121 said:

are you being fr or is this bait
@Pillsbury_Uchiha
Skipping deens fate stay night 2006 is skipping the 1st route. It is a mistake in my view.
Fate has 3 routes and Zero is seperate.
My reccomended watch order is
Fate 2006
Zero
Ubw
HF

I also read the VN, but that is for those interested.
Oct 11, 9:56 PM

Apr 2020
Fate series order is not even complicated, compared to Monogatari series smh

Zero is out of box, it has to be watched ONLY after finishing the main Trilogy. Watching Zero is optional btw. but, the order of FSN Trilogy is must to get into the series.

The one and only Order is:

FSN 2006 -> it can be skipped but don't
FSN UBW -> not the Deen ver
FSN HF

*F/Z -> Zero is optional,

you can watch it if, you wanna get to know what happened before FSN timeline, but DO NOT WATCH IT BEFORE THE MAIN TRILOGY.

Order of watching Fate Series (or) Typemoon Franchise, doesn't matters from here onwards. you can watch any series of Typemoon works.
Oct 11, 10:39 PM

Jan 2021
It's like watching the Yuta movie from JJK before S1. You could say it's chronologically correct, but you're gonna miss the experience of seeing familiar characters again.
Take Nanami's black flash record for example. If you watched JJK 0 first, it's just a random scene.

Same goes for this.
Oct 12, 12:57 AM
Jun 2021
I started with zero as well and I do not doubt my decision as it was the best fate series..
and Kiritsugu is a much better written than Shirou
Oct 12, 4:01 AM
Aug 2022
Zero was my introduction to the franchise. In hindsight, would I have watched it first knowing now how important the original VN is in order to fully understand the events of Zero? Probably not. But the major plot points are still explained well enough that not knowing every little detail doesn't detract from the viewing experience.
Oct 12, 4:28 AM
Apr 2017
Kaze1214 said:
Ghost_Davo said:

Idk

Fate watch order is all over the place and each installment spoils the other installments. In the case of Fate Zero, it spoils Fate Stay/Night Heaven’s Feel. But if you watch UBW first, you spoil Zero

Technically a prequel can't be spoiled cuz it's a prequel(it expects u to watch the main series first and know how it ends).
Oct 12, 4:32 AM
Nov 2022
Yosakusan said:
Kaze1214 said:

Idk

Technically a prequel can't be spoiled cuz it's a prequel(it expects u to watch the main series first and know how it ends).

If someone tells you to watch UBW first (some people do) then yes, Zero can be spoiled.

UBW is a pretty good intro to the world of Fate, while Zero assumes you already have an understanding of the world to some degree. So there is an arguement to not watch Zero first.
Oct 12, 5:27 AM
Feb 2020
Watching zero first literally ruins the rest of the series, why would you want everything to be spoiled before you watch the main part of fate, genuinely how are people so dumb to not understand that prequels aren’t meant to be watched first
Oct 12, 5:33 AM
Jan 2022
Blomgus said:
Watching zero first literally ruins the rest of the series, why would you want everything to be spoiled before you watch the main part of fate, genuinely how are people so dumb to not understand that prequels aren’t meant to be watched first

ok ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’€โ‰๏ธ what is ruined by watching Zero fist ??
Oct 12, 5:41 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to Ghost_Davo
Blomgus said:

ok ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’€โ‰๏ธ what is ruined by watching Zero fist ??
@Ghost_Davo UBW and HF route for first. Two Kirei character and involvement in UBW with Rin. Rin and Sakura relationship which is revealed in HF. Irisviel relationship with the grail and why it impact Illiya (which is shown in HF). Zero assume you know the three routes it's why spoil everything.
Oct 12, 6:14 AM
Jul 2023
itzswxzy said:
Ghost_Davo said:

Most visual novel geeks and elitists who use the argument “zero came out after bc nasu intended it to be consumed this way and zero should be after wards or else u get spoiled about ubw” so u can just ignore them.

So, you condone not watching media the way the authors intended, got it๐Ÿ‘
Oct 12, 6:55 AM
May 2019
Fate fans really like gatekeeping. Plenty of F/SN superfans hate Zero for "diverting from canon," so they'll get on your case for even watching Zero at all. I also started with Zero, and it was probably the best choice I made to get into the series, so my advice is to ignore them.
Oct 12, 10:06 AM
Jan 2020
donslockz said:
I don't know. If I watched UBW first, I wouldn't watch anything Fate related anymore, because I hated UBW so much xD

That is pure BLASPHEMY!
Oct 12, 10:14 AM
Dec 2023
Fate/Fans will always find a reason to clown on anything ๐Ÿ˜…
Oct 12, 2:45 PM
Jul 2024
rohan121 said:
@amarababie
The visual novel starts with vanilla fate route 1st. Ubw 2nd hf 3rd
I say do fate zero after deen 2006 then go to ubw

the way it jumps into it was confusing for me ngl, idk if anyone had the same issue as me,but Imo watching the series makes more sense then trying to understand the books
Oct 12, 2:58 PM
Dec 2020
DEEN > UBW > HF > Zero. Anything else is a lie.
Oct 12, 3:57 PM
May 2023
Laplace_kun said:
Well Zero is made with the knowledge that one has already experienced Stay/Night. So it doesn't care if it has to spoil things in the main story. What were supposed to be plot twists in FSN were just story elements or Easter eggs in Zero. That's the main reason.

It's like watching Star Wars prequels before OG.

However, Ufotable made a gamble by making Zero a introduction of the world to anime-onlies. At the same time, they also felt that VN readers wouldn't mind the "spoilers". It's a weird mashup which leads to the most peculiar conflicts within Fate community.

Honestly, I’m with Ufotable on this one
Oct 12, 4:06 PM

Nov 2019
Blomgus said:

Nah, the agenda must be followed. Watch Zero and then nothing else, because mid show, mid protagonist.
Laplace_kunOct 12, 4:09 PM
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Oct 12, 4:39 PM
Dec 2022
TheWeebOfDoom said:
itzswxzy said:

Prime example of a fate stan whos so blinded by their own set standards for their franchise that they completely misconstrue your point ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ‘Ž
Oct 12, 8:48 PM
Oct 2022
It's because Zero is a non canon spin off. Saber and Kirei are completely different than their Stay Night counterparts. Kirei always knew he was evil and Saber is ruthless and would never let chivalry come before the grail. Zero's author, Urobochi admitted the didn't understand Stay Night Saber's character at the time. The reason why Zero is accurate in the story is because Nasu supervised it and made sure Urobochi got the details on what was said in Stay Night right, but because Nasu is who he, he let's people who adapt his universe do it however they want and he figures out the plot holes later and adds more convoluted lore to his universe to explain it. Zero happened in a completely different timeline, it's just that Nasu said it was, "close enough" to be considered a prequel. The main thing, however, is that prequels are supposed to be watched after the original. The point is that prequels explain unanswered questions; the things that made more sense when watching Zero first are only because you weren't supposed to know it during the story, adding to the experience and making subsequent rewatches better. The takeaway is that there is more merit to the story not knowing the details, which in turn also makes reveals and information in the prequel have more impact as well.

To be honest, I don't really care how someone watches the series; it's your choice and I think people overreact way too much, but that's just the Fate fandom sometimes. What I typed above is just the common mindset of "watch order extremists." Yeah, can't say they're wrong, but at the end of the day, it's your experience, so do what you think is best.
Oct 12, 9:37 PM
Jun 2023
MjbrownII said:
donslockz said:

That is pure BLASPHEMY!

I'm sorry. It's hard to like the show, when MC is so dumb and dense. And his dialogues with Archer were just unbearable, they couldn't stop repeating the same shit over and over again. He is like robot programmed to save the world. HF is better just for the fact that MC acts more human.
Btw, I really liked the prologue. If they made show about Rin and kept that quality, I think it would be better. But instead we see her becoming Emiya's puppet for some reason.
Oct 13, 3:23 AM
Jan 2022
thanks for all the replies so far, but tbh I still don't quite see why watching Zero first is supposed to destroy the experience of UBW and HF. If I would want to recommend Fate to a friend, I'd probably still tell him to watch Zero first, cause it worked for me ๐Ÿคท‍โ™‚๏ธ
Oct 13, 9:04 AM
Dec 2021
There's the quality of the anime adaptations that are criticized, there's the dilemma of experiencing a prequel first that spoils elements of the original, there's the fact that Zero technically is an alternate universe and not a true prequel, the phenomenon that people tend to misunderstand Shirou's character (and in a way Kerry's too) when coming off of Zero, and possibly a carryover of the days when most didn't know that FSN was a 3 part story and that quite a few of the plot threads from Zero are dropped completely in UBW (leading to furious internet arguments).

But those are more from someone who would dog on you for not reading the VN. It's harder to say for anime only elitists since they're just playing second fiddle anyway.
Oct 13, 11:16 AM
Sep 2022
TheWeebOfDoom said:
itzswxzy said:

Authors can only put out their work out into the world. They have no say over how people watch, read, or interpret their stories.
Kaboomist04Oct 13, 11:29 AM
Oct 13, 2:18 PM
Feb 2020
you get what??? anyone that clowns you is a loser, you've actually started perfectly and correctly
Oct 13, 10:48 PM
Oct 2020
You shouldn’t get clowned for it. It all depends on what you want to watch first.

Fate Zero is a prequel to Fate Stay Night an all it’s alternates. So I personally commend you for watching in chronological order.

I personally prefer UBW over every Fate, but I liked Fate Zero and I think the people who hate on Zero are fuelled by nostalgia for the originals and can’t accept that there is more than just the Fate Stay Night trilogy
Okami Yurei
Oct 14, 12:58 AM

Nov 2019
Ghost_Davo said:
thanks for all the replies so far, but tbh I still don't quite see why watching Zero first is supposed to destroy the experience of UBW and HF. If I would want to recommend Fate to a friend, I'd probably still tell him to watch Zero first, cause it worked for me ๐Ÿคท‍โ™‚๏ธ

It doesn't matter. You might not get the best possible experience, but that is neither an universal nor a necessary one.

The anime of Fate series is kinda strange:

Zero: Nearly perfect just as an adaptation, but most complaints from VN readers would be repelled if they read the Zero LN and be less exposed to toxic F/Z stans

Fate route: Deen did no justice. Deen anime basically doesn't exist in recommendations. Ufotable won't adapt this route.

UBW route: Ufotable did good with this one, except that they presented Shirou extremely superficially as a character.

HF route: They really adapted the longest VN in the shortest runtime, leading to obvious issues. Not to mention the fact that major twists and payoffs are already spoiled by the Zero adaptation which predates it by years.
Yesterday, 1:38 PM

Mar 2021
I hated UBW season 2 so I really wish I started with Fate Zero -> Heavens Feel. Heavens Feel is peak.

More topics from this board

» Fate Watch Guide I Made For My Website

KaptainKoolaid - Aug 22

6 by KaptainKoolaid »»
Oct 2, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

1045 by DGottem »»
Sep 9, 2:34 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2014

1266 by bananachips »»
Sep 3, 8:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hyack - Nov 29, 2014

767 by awasalahif »»
Aug 29, 11:02 PM

» Finding ost ep9

O_OSeeKing - Aug 9

1 by TrueLataDeAtun »»
Aug 9, 7:55 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.