Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 30, 2020 10:35 PM

Nov 2012
First off just going to toot my own horn from predicting the incest plot where Yoko was Kanako's mother/sister since ep 3 (ayy). That type of incest subplot is pretty common in japanese media so I suspected it early on, just with the wrong person as the father. I expected Hiroya the rich guy with the inheritance to give to be Kanako's father not Mimasaka (the evil WWII doctor).

Now putting that aside, this series is seriously divisive. I love certain aspects of it but others from it I kind of dreaded. It's a very well written, highly complex mystery anime where it demand your full attention throughout and does not spoonfeed you shit and those that pick up on all the subtle hints/clues are vastly rewarded. But if not you'll end up with a very frustrating, exhausting watch experience from this. I think I fall something in the middle ground of both.

I think if I had kept better track of the timeline linearly like I did with Boogiepop Phantom I would have like this more. Some shows treats their audience like idiots, this show absolutely doesn't.
YorusighOct 30, 2020 10:41 PM
Mar 20, 2021 6:55 PM
Jul 2015
For the ones confused about the inheritance plot:

Kanako was dying, the only way she could survive was using most of the machines from the lab to simulate her body. The inheritance was supposed to go to her, but, if she died before her Grandfather (the very rich kind), nobody would get anything. They could't wait for the old man to die naturally. Mantaining "life" on that building is expensive and Suzaki (the assistant) was blackmailing Youko as well.

The plan was to "kidnap" her and ask for ransom. Suzaki plan was to cut off all her limbs and preserve only one (her arm) so they could mail it and "prove" the kidnappers were keeping her alive in their custody. But, this plan was not put into action completely.

Amamya (the one in love with Kanako) went to the incinerator where her arm was being kept "alive". He went crazy and was about to take her arm and run away. But, Suzaki went to the incinerator to hide her "live" head. Amamya seeing this BS decided to kill Suzaki and run away with her head instead. He also took other limbs from her that were supposed to be discarded instead of preserved since they only needed one part of her alive as proof of life.

Aug 1, 2021 2:22 PM

Feb 2020
Well that was disappointing. I didn't know that this was the adaptation of a 1000 page long novel until I came to this forum, but it certainly makes sense. The premise was interesting and the directing was great, but the characters were beyond flat, the sheer amount of infodumping was horrendous, and there are still things that make no sense by the end. Why did they have a 2 episode long, incredibly boring conversation about mouryou if the mystery wasn't supernatural, but rather pseudo-science bs? I'm sure the novel connects the concepts better, but this is just incoherent. And does anyone know why the girl in the box was originally Kyougoukudou's sister?
Some of the reveals were pretty interesting but I couldn't bring myself to give a shit because of how dull all of the characters were, which I assume is another symptom of failed adaptation. 4/10 pretentious crap
Jun 6, 2022 11:36 PM

Mar 2010
Well wow! The whole series is messed up. Interesting case and connections of everything in the end... I am surprised that Sekiguchi was not a murderer or something. Amemiya went crazy.
Aug 12, 2023 8:27 PM

Nov 2010
I love how all this shit began with Yoriko's obsession with Kanako being a goddess. All because of that pimple on her nape! What a domino effect of events that eventually led to this conclusion. I love stories like this. It reminded me of one of my favorite movies, Mr. Nobody.

Dang, Amemiya is a pedo. Well, it's understandable since Kanako is so beautiful. It's a shame that she died and became a mummified mess. Beauty is so fleeting.

Very nice wincest!
"To attain happiness, all you have to do is cast away your humanity." I totally agree!

Interestingly, this show made me think that they'll be dealing with supernatural stuff, but in the end, it was all just figures of speech. It's a mystery sci-fi crime thriller show.

BTW, I think this novel served as inspiration for Kara no Shōjo. I highly suggest for those who are curious to play that VN. That VN borrowed many ideas from this novel, such as a mutilated body in the box, serial dismemberment killings, killers driven by obsession, people connected in bizarre coincidences, etc.
Aug 23, 2023 12:31 PM

Jan 2020
Okay, the story was good, but the way they told it was pretty disappointing, the pacing was HORRIBLY slow and the fact it was told in a non-linear way was unnecessary and just made it confusing and dense (Even for me who likes confusing stuff in moderation). You definitely need to know about Ubume no Natsu to get at least a grasp of who the main characters are, as this anime barely explained anything, in fact, if compared to the Ubume no Natsu manga the characters feel considerably more flat in here.

As for the animation, this has one of my favorite aesthetics in all anime I have ever seen and the soundtrack was magnificent.

I enjoyed it tho. 7/10, good but far from great.

MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Oct 25, 2023 10:12 PM
Des31

Oct 2020
I don't understand at all what is this anime base off, the supernatural stuff is kind forced for me like blaming the moryou (or whatever it's) for the insanity of human and the detective mostly Discuss about occult stuff, useless thing to do and the most part that made me mad about this is when you know that a girl being targeted by a crazy killer but you just let go by herself and then warn her parents to keep her child safe just a minute before you meet her child, are f*cking idiot or what ? Why don't you stop her right away you retard detective wow this scene is really tick me off.

this anime show a prefect combination of Slow brain detective and useless police and it's surely waste of time (at least in my opinion) the supernatural thing is really forced with zero appearance of the moryou itself and it's perfect for giving it 5/10
Destroyer31Oct 25, 2023 10:19 PM
Aug 19, 8:54 AM

Jun 2008
Amemiya says, can't have the girl of your dreams? Just take her arm. Could make a dirty joke here but I won't.
The one who was hinted at all along, seemed harmless, and disappeared along with Kanako was in fact involved?! Ahh wow shocking.

No new ideas? Want additional drama for your soap opera? Just add incest desu~
Messed up family, Youko is the worst, stab that b!tch. Why are all the women in this show such mother-hating hoes obsessed with beauty? Daddy-Doc was totally gonna fvck Kanako too if the accident didn't happen, afterall Youko's getting older... History repeating. They truly deserved each other. Good riddance.

That's why the mysteries in this series fail. There's no genuine surprise, only a few surreal shock/irk factors, mixed with unrelated tedious talk and $hit detective work, put into scene like some amateur theatre play, topped with paper-thin characters and one abrupt ending. The writing is awful, the pacing is worse.
Bet the authors (and some viewers) felt so intelligent throughout, unfortunately with a result this chunky, confusing and misdirected, Mouryou no Hako is nothing short of a fraud - including its title. Humans are flawed and evil! The demons are just metaphors! Why thank you Mr. obvious, it only took 13 episodes for such a revelation.
Filling a show with edgy historical and mythological references, having horror-ish novels and images, showing for 10 seconds an experimental human enraged by resentment makes it deserving of a "supernatural" tag? Go and push yourselves under a train please.
RenaPsychoKillerAug 19, 9:09 AM

watching, waiting, commiserating
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 12 Discussion

Mikiyo - Jul 30, 2009

19 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Aug 19, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 11 Discussion

Mikiyo - Jul 14, 2009

12 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Aug 12, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 10 Discussion

Jacut - Jul 9, 2009

15 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Aug 9, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 9 Discussion

hikky - Dec 24, 2008

20 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Aug 8, 4:20 PM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 8 Discussion

noteDhero - Jan 26, 2009

26 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Aug 8, 3:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.