Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
dub or sub??
Jul 30, 7:43 PM
Aug 2022
I'm going to start watching this and was wondering which is better, sub or dub?

Also please no "The sub is always better" type of talk
Jul 30, 7:45 PM

Sep 2014
The dub is never better.
Jul 30, 7:54 PM
Nov 2023
Seriously, you ask about watching a Japanese anime about Japanese history voiced by Japanese actors and actresses, but you think having Americans talk over it could somehow make it better? I just can’t understand. I accept it with contemporary shows about modern society, especially high school based, because the Japanese school system closely follows the American model and it can be loosely imagined with American voices. But not historical dramas!
Jul 30, 8:00 PM

Nov 2015
Just curious, why ask for anyone else’s opinion? Usually this is the sort of thing someone can decide on their own, even if that means trying both options.
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion.
Jul 30, 8:09 PM
Aug 2022
Reply to KryzakamiHrybami
The dub is never better.
@KryzakamiHrybami not always the case
Jul 30, 8:10 PM
Aug 2022
Reply to FutoiOtaku
Seriously, you ask about watching a Japanese anime about Japanese history voiced by Japanese actors and actresses, but you think having Americans talk over it could somehow make it better? I just can’t understand. I accept it with contemporary shows about modern society, especially high school based, because the Japanese school system closely follows the American model and it can be loosely imagined with American voices. But not historical dramas!
@FutoiOtaku I was just asking since I don't know, and besides other shows that take place in feudal Japan have good dubs, like Samurai Champloo
Jul 30, 8:22 PM
Nov 2023
OrcMeiser said:
@FutoiOtaku I was just asking since I don't know, and besides other shows that take place in feudal Japan have good dubs, like Samurai Champloo

Even though I prefer sub, I wasn’t being anti-dub as I explained. However I honestly think something this well made deserves the respect of hearing it in its native tongue. However good the dub may be, American accented English is unpleasant to me in this instance. I like the dubs to Frieren, Dress up Darling and quite a few other shows but this is not one of them. But if you disagree I also think that’s fine. I only answered the question with sincere intentions. Also, a dub to this season’s Elusive Samurai would probably be really good…
Jul 31, 2:25 AM

Apr 2020
Sub. Always sub, unless you wanna be reminded of JRPG's, from the early 2000's.
Jul 31, 2:44 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to OrcMeiser
@KryzakamiHrybami not always the case
@OrcMeiser Only if you refuse to get the full experience. The Japanese language binds much more meaning within its sentence structures than any occidental language. Also, because it's written in Japanese beforehand, the dialogue convey the societal background and context from its source language, not from another language. But most importantly, English sucks as a spoken language.
Jul 31, 5:58 PM
Aug 2020
I like the occasional dub every now and then but the show is focused on feudal Japan so there's no chance any English dub ever come close.
Jul 31, 11:06 PM
Dec 2016
KryzakamiHrybami said:
The dub is never better.

Dub only makes sense as a very young viewer who can't read yet. But then again, i live in a country where they never dub
Aug 3, 4:33 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to dsudorion
KryzakamiHrybami said:
The dub is never better.

Dub only makes sense as a very young viewer who can't read yet. But then again, i live in a country where they never dub
@dsudorion You gave your very first post after 8 years to me! I am grateful and I agree.
Aug 4, 1:06 AM
Dec 2016
Awww that's so sweet!
Oct 6, 4:58 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
The dub is never better.
@KryzakamiHrybami Ghost Stories? Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt?

Oct 7, 4:40 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to -rkr-
@-rkr- Ghost Stories dub is so infamously bad that people prefer to watch clip on youtube to laugh at it instead of actually watching the anime. Luckily enough it's made on an anime barely anyone cares about. If a popular anime would receive such a dub, I doubt the community would collectively agree to just laugh at it. It doesn't take much for the internet to whine over improper translation, and here we have a version that consist of everything a translation should avoid doing. Change in dialogues, altering the story, localization, addition of cringe humour. Well, quite frankly I don't see much difference in the quality of the dub from Ghost Stories than any other dubbed anime. They all suck to me.

Panty and Stocking is not something I would watch in subs, let alone in dubs.
Oct 7, 4:44 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to -rkr-
@-rkr- Don't argue with people who think subjective criteria can be measured objectively.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 7, 4:58 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to LostSpectre
@-rkr- Don't argue with people who think subjective criteria can be measured objectively.
@LostSpectre Shouldn't I be the one to tell this to? I've been active on MAL for years doing exactly this.
Oct 7, 5:32 PM

Jan 2013
@LostSpectre Shouldn't I be the one to tell this to? I've been active on MAL for years doing exactly this.
@KryzakamiHrybami Sounds like that would just make you a hypocrite then.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 7, 5:37 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to LostSpectre
@KryzakamiHrybami Sounds like that would just make you a hypocrite then.
@LostSpectre By the look of it you probably need some of these arguments in your face. That's a shame, I always thought you were smarter than the average here.
Oct 7, 8:21 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
@-rkr- Ghost Stories dub is so infamously bad that people prefer to watch clip on youtube to laugh at it instead of actually watching the anime. Luckily enough it's made on an anime barely anyone cares about. If a popular anime would receive such a dub, I doubt the community would collectively agree to just laugh at it. It doesn't take much for the internet to whine over improper translation, and here we have a version that consist of everything a translation should avoid doing. Change in dialogues, altering the story, localization, addition of cringe humour. Well, quite frankly I don't see much difference in the quality of the dub from Ghost Stories than any other dubbed anime. They all suck to me.

@KryzakamiHrybami

Jesus Christ. You haven't watched these anime and decided to strawman both of them. None of the stuff you mentioned actually makes sense or is relevant to the fact that people prefer to watch these 2 anime in dub, aka they are funnier for English-speaking audiences in English.

Then why do you care that most English-speaking audiences prefer dub for Panty and Stocking? Because it invalidates your point? LOL

Anyway, I was hoping you would have an "only a Sith deals in absolutes" epiphany. But now I see there is no point talking to a wall, bye

Oct 9, 3:40 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to -rkr-
@KryzakamiHrybami

Jesus Christ. You haven't watched these anime and decided to strawman both of them. None of the stuff you mentioned actually makes sense or is relevant to the fact that people prefer to watch these 2 anime in dub, aka they are funnier for English-speaking audiences in English.

Then why do you care that most English-speaking audiences prefer dub for Panty and Stocking? Because it invalidates your point? LOL

Anyway, I was hoping you would have an "only a Sith deals in absolutes" epiphany. But now I see there is no point talking to a wall, bye
@-rkr- What does this shit even means?
Oct 16, 10:36 AM

Jun 2019
-rkr- said:
None of the stuff you mentioned actually makes sense or is relevant to the fact that people prefer to watch these 2 anime in dub, aka they are funnier for English-speaking audiences in English.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is one thing since it's of the comedy genre either way and I couldn't ever see it being any other way regardless of what written or audio translation it receives in any other language in subtitles or dubbing, but with Gakkou no Kaidan it's not originally primarily a comedy and wasn't intended as that. The dubbing company responsible just completely changed the script and there is a lot of misinformation circulating around out there about this series. I've only ever watched the original Japanese audio version with English subtitling, and it's actually a quite good and fun horror and mystery show. It's almost like a darker and genuinely supernatural Japanese Scooby Doo equivalent, or the closest thing to something like a Courage the Cowardly Dog-type series I've seen in anime. In other words, kids/family-friendly horror series with some monster-of-the-week adventure and some weird and disturbing moments.

I think someone preferring the dubbing on that show (most of those who like the dub have never watched the sub version, or in some cases don't watch subbed anime in general) don't prefer the show dubbed so much in the way someone prefers Panty & Stocking or another show dubbed due to some aural and translation preferences. It's more like they prefer a parody of the show versus the actual show, like the parody or abridged clip versions of shows on YouTube.
WatchTillTandavaOct 16, 10:42 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Sep 15, 2021

114 by Ui »»
May 27, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Nov 24, 2021

90 by GlacioD »»
Apr 27, 6:14 AM

» Why have the dates when this series aired been changed from the autumn of 2021 to the winter of 2022?

WatchTillTandava - Nov 16, 2022

5 by Rexnihilo »»
Apr 19, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 13, 2021

34 by Andrzej2 »»
Apr 10, 5:07 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 27, 2021

26 by L01MK »»
Jan 14, 11:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.