Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Jun 3, 1:42 PM
Apr 2023
yeah this show was a masterpiece
Jun 5, 12:04 AM
Oct 2019
i liked the pre antarctica portion more than the antarctica portion. the actual, real life issues that people deal with (death, friendship, etc) was compelling. i didn't feel that was as good in the latter half though. and i don't know that i feel there was any real resolution about her mother. i guess just going there was the resolution? idk how finding her old laptop was the big deal they made it out to be or why she left her million yen there. but whatever

a good show. 7.0 or 7.5/10. i had it rated a little higher early on before it settled in at that range. some cute, fun moments. some obviously sad, emotional ones, too.
Jun 16, 12:29 AM

Jan 2010
You can't just throw a group of high school girls together with a random concept and make it interesting...right?

A Place Further Than The Universe is a weird anime for me, but not in a bad way. To preface, I definitely enjoyed it, and it's something I would absolutely recommend to anyone who enjoys a good mix of comedy, emotional moments, and a whole heap of adventure. In some respects, perhaps the anime felt too short? It's better than being too long I suppose, but I would have liked the anime to feature more sights, scientific activities, general information about the trip, and the characters' daily life in the Antarctic. A lot of time was devoted to the characters' interpersonal issues, which is understandable as to make the viewer emotionally attached to the characters' journey. Still, as a show about an Antarctic expedition, I would have liked to see more of the Antarctic expedition. Perhaps what I expected from the anime was cute girls in a glorified Discovery Channel documentary, but instead it was a series of mini dramas featuring an Antarctic expedition as a backdrop.

In a sense, they could have gone to a global rock climbing trip, the Sahara Desert, a deep sea dive, the North Pole, the Moon, or anywhere else and the story could have been about the same. At its core, A Place Further Than The Universe was a story of self-discovery in a location far from civilization, where the characters have no choice but to confront each other and themselves. Given enough time, something in each of the characters will break within their close quarter living spaces, and they'll eventually have to face whatever issues they're dealing with, else their crewmates will force their issues out of them. Was there a particular reason why it had to be the Antarctic? If it was for the views, there were a few views of the horizon, skies, and landscape, but that was it. I would have liked to see more of the research facilities, the living quarters, how the characters managed during the blizzard, and how they travel. If it was for the science, there was a bit, but it felt very cursory. I liked to see more of the girls learning about the weather balloons, what the expedition team collected ice for, how the team manages their supplies, and their interaction with the local wildlife. If the show wanted to be more about the people, then I would have absolutely loved more scenes of everyone working and playing.

As is, the character drama does seem a bit unwieldy, but if that was the primary focus of the anime, then it wasn't bad. My gripes pertain to things I wanted more out of the show, but that's just me. Overall, I enjoyed A Place Further Than The Universe. Short and sweet is absolutely fine.
Jun 16, 2:04 PM

Mar 2024
Simply put, one of the best animes I ever had the honor of watching. Madhouse really cooked with this one - 10/10 would bawl my eyes out again.

Jun 24, 9:45 AM

Mar 2023
Beautiful and satisfying finale. This show was an emotional rollercoaster and I loved the ride
watsymJun 24, 9:49 AM
Jul 22, 7:04 PM
Nov 2023
A quick note after re-watching this work of art. It gets better. More emotions were beaten out of me than by any other fictional story in my half a century plus on this planet. Still only a 10 because MAL won’t let me raise it. Adding to favourites list, not sure what to replace…
Jul 25, 12:57 PM

Aug 2013
What can I say. Watching this anime was a challenge for me. It's slow, boring, predictable, typical at each aspect. It's like watching some "techno demo the anime" or prototype of basic weakly drama anime. There were some pathetic humor attempts - 99% of them failed. Local drama is forced and made by a rule book obviously. Even CGDCT tag is wrong here, okay-okay, these girls are kinda cute but they do nothing cute, they are bothering and annoy each other, they simply don't know what to do due boredom just like me dying from watching it, their drama is so basic, their motives are so weak and passive. If this anime was a human instead then it would a small manipulative woman which despite her sneaky nature is pretty dumb and easily influenced by others. This anime has a form, sure, but there is no valued content, it's artistic significance is lower than typical ecchi anime has. Maybe I wouldn't be so salty (maybe) about just another pathetic anime if it didn't climb so high and wasn't made by Madhouse because it means they spent their precious time on some passable crap instead of something really good.
Aug 10, 10:50 PM

Nov 2023
It's a fantastic finale, and overall, it's just a great watch.

It's a 10 for me.
Aug 13, 1:50 PM

Aug 2022
Still one of the more underrated anime’s I have come across, it was easily a 9/10 for me! 🥹
Sep 6, 6:19 PM
Jan 2022
A place further than the universe
A story more drawn out than the universe
A payoff not worth anything in the universe
A fart more stinky than anything in the universe

I was going to give this show a higher rating then she said she left the money in Antarctica and said the title again. I just wanted to immediately punch my monitor.

This show is for young teenage women and basically no one else.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

311 by sailormoon92_ »»
Oct 8, 4:59 AM

» Binge or slow watch?

Crystalligator - Aug 23

18 by GoldEEr »»
Aug 28, 5:21 PM

» What's good about this ?

Bruh-__- - Nov 25, 2021

25 by Laplace_kun »»
Aug 23, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2018

214 by kirA_-_ »»
Aug 18, 7:41 AM

» How realistic is this??

Sandro8604 - May 25, 2021

12 by Tacsk0 »»
Aug 13, 1:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.