Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 26, 6:53 PM
Jan 2021
When I was watching I voted myself before the audition results were revealed. I felt that the first one supported the trumpet melody but I felt that the euph melody didn’t really shine enough. The second one I felt was able to blend with the trumpet and simultaneously give life to the independent melody. Idk I’m just curious to hear what everyone thought about the audition.
Jun 26, 8:01 PM
Jul 2020
I also thought the second performance was better. Not sure why Reina disagreed
Jun 26, 8:48 PM

Nov 2019
the main question is, for that particular piece, was the euph needed to be submissive?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jun 26, 9:42 PM
Nov 2023
I preferred the second, but the first was technically better, and that plays for the judges. probably the correct choice.
Jun 26, 10:13 PM
Aug 2019
I enjoyed the second one more, but then I'm not much in touch in music and haven't played since middle school; so it's probably not the best opinion.

Although, from other conversations I've read on this topic - those who are in touch in music and regularly play an instrument - they seem to agree that the first one was played better. It most likely was the best option as sad as I am (I really wanted Kumiko to win).
Jun 26, 10:35 PM
Jan 2021
Laplace_kun said:
the main question is, for that particular piece, was the euph needed to be submissive?

This is true. At the end of the day it’s a stylistic choice, I just was curious about others’ opinions.
Jun 26, 11:29 PM

Sep 2018
Sovl vs Sovlless

Just joking. After listening a second time, I could see how Mayu's performance with a more subdued? sound could make for a more compelling overall performance. Thankfully I'm glad that I correctly guessed that the second performance was Kumiko, and I'm also happy that I preferred hers despite having no music knowledge myself. It's like I've gotten to know her after all these episodes. I just like stuff that's rough around the edges.

THE MADLADS THEY ACTUALLY DID IT
Jun 27, 12:26 AM

Apr 2013
For me both performances were equally good, I almost felt no difference.
But after the first performance I had a feeling that it was Mayu, can't even say why. Midori voting for the 2nd one then confirmed my assumption.
But then Reina chose the first one which made me doubt the first being Mayu, only to be surprised again xD
Jun 27, 4:01 AM

Aug 2020
I agree with your analysis. There were definitely differences there.

Jun 27, 5:08 AM
Jul 2016
I didn’t notice the difference that much because I’m not an expert in music, but I also vote for the second one before the results. The feeling was different. I also wanted Kumiko to win.
Jun 27, 6:31 AM
May 2019
Same here i voted for the second before the resultat
Jun 27, 7:25 AM

Aug 2022
Dam if only the anime or our votes in, Kumiko would have probably won by a landslide 🤣🤣
Jun 27, 3:08 PM
Jul 2020
I did the same as you, and also found that the first one flowed better with the trumpet; but the difference had a meaning i guess
Jun 27, 8:52 PM

Aug 2017
i know nothing about music so i have no opinion on which performance was better. but Reina choosing the first performer over the second one is so very telling, it means Kumiko needs to become better still
Jun 27, 9:54 PM
May 2021
I played alto sax and pretty much all the clarinet family throughout grade school and in my first listen, I picked #2. Better tone, dynamics, vibrato... basically it sounded fuller and like a duet vs accompaniment. #2 sounded like a back and forth conversation of two people calling out to each other, while #1 sounded like they were emphasizing the trumpet. I don't know what the intentions of the piece are nor the euphoniums role without seeing the music score and knowing what sound Taki-sensei wants to convey as the conductor.

People saying that Kumiko made a mistake, that can happen, but music is not only about getting every note right, it is also about conveying a story or invoking an emotion.
Jun 28, 11:22 PM
Jan 2023
I don't know why but I've noticed the second one is Kumiko.
And I like Kumiko more.
Jun 29, 8:18 AM
Apr 2023
they made the 2nd one louder on purpose it's very slight but they wanted us to know who kimeko was at least I thought so, also I think it makes sense no giving it to kumiko she doesn't want to spend her entire life on music and I bet that Mayu is going to pursue music if they show that part so in all it's going to be for the better.
Jun 29, 11:51 AM

Nov 2012
The 2nd was more moving. I liked it better but had no idea why and I was sure it was Kumiko. It just sounded like Kumiko. In order to answer you properly, I did another blind listen. While #1 was good and technically great I guess, it was soulless and unmoving. It could have been robotic. The 2nd performance had feeling to it and stirred me. I felt it in my chest.

I was positive #2 was Kumiko and when Reina picked #1 I knew I was correct. They let us know weeks ago that Reina thought Mayu was better. She's all about the fundementals and technical perfection. Kumiko is about feelings. Mayu fits in better with Reina's style. The thing is I would think you'd want the performer that will move the judges. Oh well. Personally, I would have abstained and let the teacher do his job and choose.
dragynfaerieJun 29, 11:56 AM
Jun 29, 4:57 PM
May 2024
I'll be the only one against here. I personally preferred the first one, I don't know much about music but both were great for me, however, I liked the first one more. And look, I love kumiko.
Jun 30, 6:19 AM

Aug 2020
oddly enough, the first performance was much better: livelier and more voluminous, while Kumiko played “mechanistically and supportively”... I’m glad I got it right this time; and I’m glad that they decided to do this (that both performances can be defined by their characters)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

204 by defaulticus »»
Oct 14, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 23

340 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 16

90 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

95 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

112 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.