Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2012 11:52 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This one reeks Uchuu Senkan Yamato for me (even thought that was a TV series first before it was summarized into a movie and this was a standalone movie), the one of a kind spaceship and it's myriad of characters as the ship's crew that stands between Earth and the aliens hell bent to destroy mankind, in this case they only got into that situation because of human curiosity. Anyway, even without looking at the production and release dates, my mind automatically tagged it on the 1980's when I heard the music while the crew was boarding the Starlight. XD

Being a 1980's anime movie, the movie did alright in my book.

♪♫ Searching for Odin, my love! ♪♫ LOL

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 7, 2016 11:16 PM
Jun 2013
Heh, that live action metal band at the end singing a power ballad just killed me. Funniest way to ending a movie that I've ever seen.
Apr 23, 2017 1:00 AM

Dec 2015
First, I would like to thank the ANN writer of this article/list about the 100 best lesser known japanese animated movies:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2017-03-19/.113010

The longest 140minutes I have ever spent with animation. (second time I fall asleep in front of a video, three tries before I could complete this movie!)
Strange because I easily LOVE anything 80s.

The only memorable things:
- the ship's design (although it recycles Yamato's idea)
- the ending credits performance.

I will also point out:
- how despicable the youngsters seem: from forcefully boarding the ship to making it their own, it went beyond the usual recklessness of a young male lead.
- the failed attempt at reenacting the death scene of Yamato's Okita. It was nothing impactful.

Enjoyment: 2.5-/5 I neither liked or disliked it but it was sleep-inducing at multiple occasions !

An average sci-fi action movie who could have made the effort to be more concise.
Score 4/10

I think I heard Furuya Tôru's voice among the young rioters, was he in this movie along Lalah Sune's actress?
edit: he was ! Playing Jiro's role.
Rei_IIIApr 23, 2017 1:26 AM
Nov 12, 2018 7:28 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
One hundred thirty-nine minutes. Whoo boy.

I was really enjoying this movie from the first half. When the crew first boarded the Starlight and they were running for several minutes, the 80's music playing in the background was awesome. I could listen to it over and over. xD However, I wasn't really impressed by the crew's disrespectful mutiny towards their superiors. The young ones' stubbornness lead to the loss of lives for some of their most valuable veteran crew, even their captain.

I didn't really like the second half. It felt cheesy and lame. The dialogue about the Odin felt so unnatural and the crew members who boarded the enemy space fortress acted like superheroes when fighting the enemy fleet, and that also felt unnatural and forced.

Too bad as I was really enjoying the space journey from the beginning and the exploration, only to be ruined by the weird obsession towards Odin that we never got to see. My score was originally 8 but I had no choice and dropped it down to 6. :/ Oh well, moving on...
Oct 8, 2020 10:29 AM

Oct 2010
good movie, but where is my ending? what happened to finding the planet? such a shame. I agree that it looks like yamato even if I didn't even watch yamato.
6/10
Jan 1, 2022 2:43 PM

Aug 2017
That one crewman with a blonde beard reminded me of a guy from Zeta Gundam

Names of various...things appearing on screen is a tribute to Kihachi Okamoto, I presume? Similar things appear in Hideaki Anno's works.

The staff list for this movie certainly is fabulous, at least it looks amazing (if a bit too dark/"mechanistic" due to being set entirely in space). Some great voice actors (even if their performances are just OK) and *awesome* music (how is it even possible to fall asleep?) make a good addition to that. Don't regret watching it.
Jan 3, 2022 9:33 AM

Feb 2012
Considering the people involved in the production of this movie, a was expecting really good things. But... it was kind of bland movie, the two things I really enjoyed were the animation (some scenes are very impressive, even for today standards) and the metal music.
Jan 10, 2023 8:30 PM
Jan 2023
I enjoyed it as a super crunchy and cheesy anime space opera. Cool soundtrack. I like their uniforms. They look like they're wearing varsity jackets the whole time to really drive home the fact that they're just kids. Pretty awesome intro and good lighting effects throughout. Liked the idea of old school tall ships in space sailing on laser beams. Such an 80's idea to be powered by laserbeams. I enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend unless this type of anime is already your thing.
Mar 25, 2023 9:40 AM
May 2017
Considering how amazing the beginning was the ending in comparison was pale. They focus to much on action, melodrama and cheesy dialogue that they ignore all the serious as well grand aspect about the story. It's like how Justice League turn out to be but not the Snider cut but the other brain dead marvel version of it. It could have gone for something great but decide to skip over it. 
Jun 4, 2023 11:32 PM

Dec 2012
aggressively boring
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.