Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2022 8:16 AM
Jun 2021
Fucking awesome!!!!
Dec 16, 2022 8:27 AM

Mar 2018
A rather suprsing show from the Lupin franchise once again. It's not hard to see why this series has retained it's cult following for as long as it has. Some great artwork that bursts with creativity and an interesting use of lighting to really make a scene stand out. The eccentric fights are filled with quirk and we are already getting some character building in this episode as well for Lupin. I'm definitely interested to see where the series takes him and also I want to see more of the interesting settings we go to next. Love the 1960s vibe that were rocking with here.
Dec 16, 2022 9:23 AM

Nov 2016
High school Lupin was already a finesser.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 16, 2022 10:56 PM
Aug 2021
An unorthodox time setting as having Lupin & Jigen partnering up as kids. I don't mind this new iteration of an origin story of Lupin so far, and the animation and lighting choices so far are poppin'. I wish I could watch the entire ONA in one go but alas only 2 episodes I can watch so far.
Dec 17, 2022 11:00 AM

Jul 2016
Cute addition to the Lupin series. Love the style as always too.
Dec 17, 2022 1:51 PM
๐ŸฅŠ CHAMPION ๐ŸฅŠ

Apr 2016
I liked this first episode!

It's a far cry from the traditional Lupin III, but it's another way to look at the notorious thief and his partner Jigen.

In this first episode we see young Lupin and Jigen, as they know each other, and a busty woman in the middle!!! kekeke
Dec 17, 2022 2:08 PM
Jul 2022
Ranxomare said:

It's a far cry from the traditional Lupin III, but it's another way to look at the notorious thief and his partner Jigen.

In this first episode we see young Lupin and Jigen, as they know each other, and a busty woman in the middle!!! kekeke

Uhm, Is This A Standalone Lupin Series?
Dec 17, 2022 2:45 PM
Mar 2022
This is excellent, such a breathe of fresh air after the huge dissapointment that was Part 6. The pacing is really good (those extra 5 minutes do wonders), the animation is great, the sidecharacters are fun without distracting too much from the main cast, the music, op and ed are lovely homages to Part 1 and Lupin and Jigen's chemistry is perfect! This surpassed my expectations and I can't wait to see more!
Dec 17, 2022 9:35 PM
Mar 2020
Primordial_weeb said:
Ranxomare said:

Uhm, Is This A Standalone Lupin Series?

Judge them as you want tbh. All Lupin parts can be either stand alone or sequels to one another.

Part 4 & 5 & 6 are connected though.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 18, 2022 12:11 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
A solid start. The music is very nostalgic from the original series, and the animation is pretty nice too. It's crazy to see LUpin and Jigen in school uniforms, but I guess no matter their adult life, every kid in Japan needs to be in school at some point. Though if Tomoe (from Part 6) was in Lupin's life at some point, I figured he was home schooled for a large portion of his kid life. So either this takes place before or after Tomoe, this series isn't the same canon as the rebooted Lupin series, or Lupin's homeschooling was in addition to his normal school ventures. This episode didn't show Tomoe in his house, which I felt was a missed opportunity, but like I listed before, it could have been for a variety of reasons. The argument could be made that Lupin and Jigen feel too much like their adult selves and not enough like kids, and while I understand that complaint a little for Jigen, I think it's fine for Lupin considering his family background and lineage. Lupin would have started his antics at a really young age. Even Jigen though we see isn't nearly as experienced with being a professional gunman than his adult self. His aim is great, but there are plenty of times where he is shown to be inexperienced and didn't take shots which adult Jigen could have made in his sleep. All in all, it was a decent premiere of Lupin's early life. There is more I wanted to see, but perhaps the series will deliver that in later episodes.

JCRide said:
The pacing is really good (those extra 5 minutes do wonders)
Though the series was promoted as 30 minutes per episode, and thus listed that way on MAL (for now), the episode length was pretty much just the average episode length of 25ish minutes including the OP and ED.

------

Another thread has been merged into this one.
anime-primeJan 25, 2023 2:06 AM
Dec 18, 2022 7:23 AM

May 2018
So this is set before Part I and done in the style of Part IV. Some remixed version of musical themes from Part I including the opening.
Dec 28, 2022 6:08 AM

May 2018
I expected something much worse, looking at the mean score. But that was really sweet.
Got some nostalgic flashbacks of old Lupin. 
Nemo_NiemandDec 28, 2022 6:12 AM
Dec 30, 2022 8:04 PM
Mar 2019
Always helping the Damsel in distress, at least she didn't rip him off.
Good start.
Dec 31, 2022 11:49 AM
Jan 2018
No ugly CGI and Albert is gonna make an appearance. Lupin with actual stakes without his evergreen big brain shenanigans makes for an interesting watch.
Jan 7, 2023 3:09 AM
Sep 2011
Amazing retro animation
Jan 24, 2023 8:50 PM

Mar 2020
First Lupin I've seen, and yeah, I like it. The DVD quality presentation was something I'm sure was a bit of a gamble with how ugly a lot of that stuff now looks, but I think it paid off well and does a good job of capturing the time that Lupin came from. Same goes with all the action in this episode. I enjoyed how light and inventive a lot of the choreography was.

Yoko's a likeable character. I've heard that the female characters in Lupin are generally quite self-reliant and strong, so I hope there's more to come from her in the following episodes.
Jan 25, 2023 6:44 PM
Aug 2022
Loved this so much! all these tributes to the 71 series, the beginning of Jigen and Lupin's longstanding bromance.
Jan 31, 2023 12:35 PM
May 2019
As long as they don't make this canon, I can live with it.  Makes this kind of an Earth-2023 version.
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Feb 24, 2023 2:03 AM

Dec 2021
Wew! I didn't know what to expect, but a remix of the SECOND OP from Part 1?! The OP that sounds like a skipping record?! Ballsy to remix everybodys most hated OP, but I fuckin' respect that! Going real heavy here with the Part 1 nostalgia baiting, with the OP, the soundtrack, even the title card sticking closer to Part 1's look and sounds rather than Part 2. Even the 3rd OP gets some love, that wacky ass song! All that's missing is "Lupin, he's a nice man!". They even got that kinda weak ED, and turned it into something decent!

Putting the insane amount of love for Part 1 aside, everything here was absolutely on-point, and I loved it. I'm fucking excited to watch more of this, it's looking like an easy 10/10 series.
'Say the line, Bart' meme, but with Suiseiseki saying 'NTHE'
Apr 14, 2023 4:30 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Oh heck yeah, they used my favorite OG Lupin III OP for this! I was waiting for the singing to come in and was a little sad when it didn't... but then it came in later in the episode. Gooooood!
This was a fun ride though. I do kinda like the idea of Lupin and Jigen meeting back in school just because we see how much they kinda really have to trust each other nowadays for what they do. It's also funny because it looks like Jigen hadn't gained his 'reputation for misogyny' yet. XD

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 6 Discussion

ropiel - Jan 13, 2023

21 by Brunilde »»
Oct 5, 6:27 AM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 5 Discussion

link2601 - Jan 6, 2023

16 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 1, 5:18 PM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 3 Discussion

link2601 - Dec 23, 2022

18 by Brunilde »»
Oct 1, 3:15 PM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 2 Discussion

link2601 - Dec 16, 2022

14 by Swiggy »»
Apr 14, 2023 4:57 AM

Poll: » Lupin Zero Episode 4 Discussion

link2601 - Dec 30, 2022

8 by Nemo_Niemand »»
Mar 3, 2023 5:54 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.