Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 22, 2022 3:07 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 18, 2023 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
Shinsekai Yori, ouch. xD
It's not like "suddenly everyone is gay" in the series. These ideas in the series is modelled after the Kinsey Scale which indicates that the majority of humans are to some extent bi/pansexual, and more people would live in a polyamorous relationship than today, because the monogamous model is forced onto all people and is very romanticized / idealized.
I agree tho that other ideas that were introduced could be explored more.
Jun 18, 2023 10:23 AM

May 2021
Felori said:
Shinsekai Yori, ouch. xD
It's not like "suddenly everyone is gay" in the series. These ideas in the series is modelled after the Kinsey Scale which indicates that the majority of humans are to some extent bi/pansexual, and more people would live in a polyamorous relationship than today, because the monogamous model is forced onto all people and is very romanticized / idealized.

Said like that it actually sounds like a very interesting concept, but i don't think the series managed to portray it like that
Also given that the concept is that most humans are bi/pan (which you're gonna have to explain to me the difference, cuz so far all i've heard is bi = like men & women, pan = like anyone regardless of gender, and my brain is just going "ain't that the same thing??") then shouldn't there be an equel mix of straigh and gay couples and polyamorous?

The only thing i'm not so sure about is that most humans would live in a polyamorous relationship, for me i think there's a difference between a romantic relationship and sex, yes i don't think the 2 must at all cost go hand in hand, but i do think that altough it is possible to be sexually attracted to multiple people at once, i think romantic attraction is something that in the majority of cases happenes one on one, reason why usually when someone falls romantically for someone ese while they're in another romantic relationship, that first relationship usually stops feeling romantic

Polyamorous relationships the first to come to mind is Uzui and his 3 wives in Demon Slayer, but watching that relationship on screen (at least imo) he treats 2 of them more like firends and 1 like he's in love with her, his expression changes when he's with 2 and when he's with the one

Irl examples, don't have any human ones, but think like cats, male cats will screw multiple female cats, who in turn will have screwed multiple other male cats, over the course of their lifetime, this cat in this story is no exeption, he's still going strong, and yet, he still spends almost every day with just one of the female cats he's had kittens with
Jun 18, 2023 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
DigiCat said:
Felori said:
Shinsekai Yori, ouch. xD

Said like that it actually sounds like a very interesting concept, but i don't think the series managed to portray it like that
Also given that the concept is that most humans are bi/pan (which you're gonna have to explain to me the difference, cuz so far all i've heard is bi = like men & women, pan = like anyone regardless of gender, and my brain is just going "ain't that the same thing??") then shouldn't there be an equel mix of straigh and gay couples and polyamorous?

The only thing i'm not so sure about is that most humans would live in a polyamorous relationship, for me i think there's a difference between a romantic relationship and sex, yes i don't think the 2 must at all cost go hand in hand, but i do think that altough it is possible to be sexually attracted to multiple people at once, i think romantic attraction is something that in the majority of cases happenes one on one, reason why usually when someone falls romantically for someone ese while they're in another romantic relationship, that first relationship usually stops feeling romantic

I mean, since you dropped it in ep 8, I understand where you are coming from, but there are heterosexual relationships between them later and a monogamous couple. Don't want to spoiler tho, there are some plottwists too and some stuff is explained later. ^^

Jun 25, 2023 6:59 AM

May 2019
I do understand how Made in Abyss doesn't jive with everyone given that it includes kids being subjected to some pretty terrible physical abuse, and I'm not particularly fond of the orphanage scenes myself, though I feel what comes after those is among the best I've seen from any anime in terms of worldbuilding and psychological deep dives. I honestly don't think there's another adventure anime that evokes the same feeling as this series does. Also, don't really agree that they're playing any of these scenes for laughs. Not sure where you're getting that.

As for Kaguya, I guess it's a matter of where you find your humor. It's another series where the more you build out these characters, the more you get a chance to understand where they're coming from and why they act the way they do. Early on, it's just the comedy of watching two characters who are in love trying to get the other to express it first, and yeah, their flaws are very much on display. I don't think that makes them unlikeable, though.
Jun 25, 2023 7:23 AM

May 2021
whiteflame55 said:
I honestly don't think there's another adventure anime that evokes the same feeling as this series does. Also, don't really agree that they're playing any of these scenes for laughs. Not sure where you're getting that

Basically the orphanage scene, when Riko gets dtention you know how, how the kids talk about these things as if it's normal, which i get from a psychological point of view them having not experienced any other way of living, that behaviour is normalized to them, but i still felt the way these scenes were presented was way too lighthearted, i mean the detention scene had one of the cheeriest OSTs i've ever heard

I have heard it does take other scenes more seriously later on, but given the initial vibe of the show i predidcted i wasn't gonna like the style of it at all, and my prediction was right, i later saw other clips and gifs of it which confirmed that

Like...
Jun 25, 2023 7:42 AM

May 2019
DigiCat said:
whiteflame55 said:
I honestly don't think there's another adventure anime that evokes the same feeling as this series does. Also, don't really agree that they're playing any of these scenes for laughs. Not sure where you're getting that

Basically the orphanage scene, when Riko gets dtention you know how, how the kids talk about these things as if it's normal, which i get from a psychological point of view them having not experienced any other way of living, that behaviour is normalized to them, but i still felt the way these scenes were presented was way too lighthearted, i mean the detention scene had one of the cheeriest OSTs i've ever heard

I have heard it does take other scenes more seriously later on, but given the initial vibe of the show i predidcted i wasn't gonna like the style of it at all, and my prediction was right, i later saw other clips and gifs of it which confirmed that

Like...
Like I said, wouldn't characterize those scenes as light-hearted, even if the kids are treating it as normal (which it is for their world). I'd say it's more like they're trying to make the best of a bad situation. Maybe the OST clashes a bit with the scene as its presented, but I don't think the goal is to make the scene appear cheerful. It's one of the many reasons why Riko ends up leaving the detention (that's a slight spoiler I guess, but it's pretty obvious). And yeah, some of the later scenes are pretty messed up. I'd say that does affect my enjoyment of the series as a whole, but that there's more than enough to love about it to offset it.
Jun 25, 2023 8:08 AM

May 2019
To be clear, I'm not arguing that Made in Abyss is for everyone. It's certainly not - it's a dark and, in some cases, pretty psychologically traumatic show (and yes, I'd say the psychological trauma hits harder than the physical trauma ever could). If that's not your cup of tea, I suggest not picking it back up, despite the exceptional worldbuilding and character development. It's a series that's literally about a young girl traveling deep down into an abyss from which she knows there is no escape. It's part of the reason that it's hard to recommend, despite being in my top 10.
Jul 19, 2023 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
whiteflame55 said:
To be clear, I'm not arguing that Made in Abyss is for everyone. It's certainly not - it's a dark and, in some cases, pretty psychologically traumatic show (and yes, I'd say the psychological trauma hits harder than the physical trauma ever could). If that's not your cup of tea, I suggest not picking it back up, despite the exceptional worldbuilding and character development. It's a series that's literally about a young girl traveling deep down into an abyss from which she knows there is no escape. It's part of the reason that it's hard to recommend, despite being in my top 10.

Same. My reason why it's hard to recommend, because of the scenes where these literal children get sexualized.
That short scene in the orphanage is one thing I could overlook and isn't really sexualized, but two scenes later... and especially the Reg scene in the movie, where he sit in this machine and... you know, when you know.
It's still in my top anime, because how great the worlbuilding is, how imaginative the setting and living beings and plants in there are ... and ofc how hard some of these scenes hit (and bit more personally, because I've been A LOT like Riko as a kid haha, but then I read lot of people found her annoying ;_; understandable tho)
Jul 19, 2023 6:37 PM

May 2019

Felori said:
whiteflame55 said:

Same. My reason why it's hard to recommend, because of the scenes where these literal children get sexualized.
That short scene in the orphanage is one thing I could overlook and isn't really sexualized, but two scenes later... and especially the Reg scene in the movie, where he sit in this machine and... you know, when you know.
It's still in my top anime, because how great the worlbuilding is, how imaginative the setting and living beings and plants in there are ... and ofc how hard some of these scenes hit (and bit more personally, because I've been A LOT like Riko as a kid haha, but then I read lot of people found her annoying ;_; understandable tho)
I appreciate the thoughts on this series! To say the least, this series has stuck with me long after I watched it for numerous reasons. Honestly, none of the characters have really bothered me, Riko included, though so far the White Whistles have been the strongest draw personality-wise for me. It's actually pretty appropriate that our characters are descending into an abyss because you have to be prepared to descend with them in ways that are often uncomfortable to see their journey to its end. 
Jul 19, 2023 7:17 PM
Jul 2018
whiteflame55 said:

Felori said:

I appreciate the thoughts on this series! To say the least, this series has stuck with me long after I watched it for numerous reasons. Honestly, none of the characters have really bothered me, Riko included, though so far the White Whistles have been the strongest draw personality-wise for me. It's actually pretty appropriate that our characters are descending into an abyss because you have to be prepared to descend with them in ways that are often uncomfortable to see their journey to its end. 

Yes the white whistles are pretty cool.

I also felt like the deeper they dived into the (physical) abyss, the deeper they dived into the abyss of being human. Can you follow what I mean?
The deeper they get, the more gruesome things are happening and the depths are taking their toll on them, and the more gruesome some people / villain get.
Jul 19, 2023 7:34 PM

May 2019
Felori said:

Yes the white whistles are pretty cool.

I also felt like the deeper they dived into the (physical) abyss, the deeper they dived into the abyss of being human. Can you follow what I mean?
The deeper they get, the more gruesome things are happening and the depths are taking their toll on them, and the more gruesome some people / villain get.
Yep, I see your point. I'm particularly fond of the dive this series takes into the psychology of the choices of its lead characters to dive, and the many horrors involved in those choices. Much as the physical horrors of this series are stand-outs themselves, it's the emotional and psychological aspects of the show that keep me coming back.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» DigiCat's Live Action reviews (MyDramaList)

DigiCat - May 26

0 by DigiCat »»
May 26, 2:43 PM

» DigiCat's Haikyuu!! reviews

DigiCat - Jan 14

0 by DigiCat »»
Jan 14, 12:57 PM

» DigiCat's Shounen & Mecha reviews

DigiCat - Nov 22, 2022

8 by DigiCat »»
Sep 8, 2023 10:37 AM

» DigiCat's Shoujo & Magical Girl reviews

DigiCat - Dec 3, 2022

2 by DigiCat »»
Jul 20, 2023 12:34 AM

» your review on rent a girlfriend?

Euphorian_ - Jun 17, 2023

1 by KitsuFrost »»
Jun 17, 2023 8:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.