Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2009 7:21 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Look, those are the new pilot recruits!

Wait, what?

I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Oct 28, 2010 9:08 AM

Apr 2008
is this available for DL somewhere?
Jun 18, 2012 3:23 PM

Apr 2012
yes I did like how those guys were received as shiftily as can possibly be

toilet paper, warheads, and everything inbetween!
Sep 21, 2012 8:03 PM

Feb 2012
That was some of the worst racism I have ever seen in an anime, but it was so rediculous that it was actually hilarious.
Jul 25, 2015 3:14 AM

Mar 2015
I liked it,but the pacing was at times too slow.
Nice mix of action and music,while still focusing on the drama surrounding the characters.
This is like a more serious Top Gun.

The ending is freaking awesome.This song just screams 80's <3
_HeroKenzan_Jul 25, 2015 3:30 AM
Sep 17, 2015 10:25 PM

Jul 2015
I cringed a bit at first but if you consider the wide range of baddies, I don't think it's that awful. I mean, they're supposed to be mercenaries and Africa has always been a great playground for private armies. An anti-militaristic war movie isn't going to depict deserter killers in a good way, but they aren't portrayed that bad either. First they have so little screen time and the show needs to tell the viewers they're bad guys (80's style dudes), second one could argue that they're merely doing their job. They aren't killed either but rather chased, unlike other bad guys. And at least this anime has black people, unlike... Almost everything else I saw ?

McCoy on the other hand... Not sure what to do with him, he's not called Cohen or Goldberg and I don't think it was made on purpose either but damn he could be on a WWII nazi propaganda poster :p, especially with his greedy attitude. on the other hand... he's like one of the nicest and most useful guy in the show.

I'd say this show is clean of any bad intention, even if it looks... a bit dubious at first.
DeathkoSep 19, 2015 12:41 PM
Aug 21, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2013
I loved it! I actually read the American release of the comic series back in the mid 80s (yes, I'm THAT old!). I always wanted to watch the anime, but had difficulty finding it. I definitely lived up to 30 years of expectation. Can't wait to watch the next two OVAs!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 14, 2017 11:37 PM

Jun 2016
GOAT!!!
The best OVA of all time
Sep 14, 2018 5:42 PM

Aug 2016
1. More than racist, just stereotyping.
2. It slowly turned from "meh" to somehow interesting and good. I hope it keeps growing as a story in the following OVAs.
:v
Aug 4, 2019 4:50 AM

Jul 2016
Dropped. Length is too much for me to sit through, although Shin is a nice character.
Sep 8, 2019 2:53 PM

Nov 2016
Don't want to bother with the negative stereotypes lmao.

The story is really nice and it's easy to to relate with Shin, so I'm already totally invested.

And eat shit Satoru, the guy you did really dirty fucking saved your life.

@St0rmblade

Iirc then it was the latter.
FMmatronMar 16, 2021 2:52 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 16, 2021 2:34 PM

Aug 2017
I think Shin is the first Kaneto Shiozawa character I've seen crying. He's very good here, as well as...Tomiyama Kei! Cool. Saki's seiyuu was also great and I feel I've heard him before...but nope.

McCoy on the other hand... Not sure what to do with him, he's not called Cohen or Goldberg and I don't think it was made on purpose either but damn he could be on a WWII nazi propaganda poster :p, especially with his greedy attitude.

My thoughts exactly. Not sure if it was intentional (I hope it wasn't)

I wonder how do the pilots record who shot what. A camera inside a cockpit?

Boris' death was well-handled. He didn't even make it to the pineapple salad...

Ryoko surely has a long neck. And very pretty hair (like many characters in the show)

FMmatron said:

And eat shit Satoru, the guy you did really dirty fucking saved your life.

How did he? Some more background from the manga (or did you watch the combined 1&2 episodes from one of the releases)? Satoru almost looks like a Go Nagai evil character (yet ironically he's the only "central" character in the show who doesn't kill people). Well, not counting non-combatants, of course (after all, he's a trained pilot too)
St0rmbladeMar 16, 2021 2:55 PM
Sep 28, 2022 3:19 AM
Jul 2020
Really impressed by the beautiful animation, moving score and impressive aerial dogfights that were thrilling and well choreographed. For the story analysis, I liked the concept and the characters were good enough- although I did feel Shin was bit whiny at times. Overall, I still accepted and understood his anguish well enough- that tear when he saw, or rather sensed, Ryoko on the plane got to me emotionally and overall the theme of loss and death is well measured throughout the 1st tale.

Can't wait to see how the next couple of OVAs play out. Also, I can confirm the Dub version is fine for anyone seeking that option especially considering this is often compared to Top Gun- good comparison for the action choreography, not so much the story or characters, though.
Oct 29, 2022 10:00 PM
May 2017
I love it, it's like Rambo but for aerial combat.
almightybismarckOct 30, 2022 12:26 AM
Mar 12, 3:44 PM

Jun 2020
This was brilliant, after watching Little Busters S1 it was nice to see something that kept me glued the the screen throughout. I only checked the running time to see if I could fit in a second episode!. Cool characters, great animation, good voice acting, beautiful girls, T64s, cold war jets... What more can you ask for in a TV show?

On the other hand...

It was physically painful watching Saki make a flipping speech when the air attack siren was going off, then everyone stood around chatting for 20 seconds. FLIPPING SCRAMBLE, RUN, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE VETERANS FOR CHRISTSAKES. Took me right out of it. No wonder they lost 10 aircraft, could have made it 5 or even fewer if they'd had 30 seconds of altitude on them!

I got a lot of 1967 Battle of Britain vibes too which was a sweet bonus... A shot for shot remake of the famous goggles filling with blood scene, far more WW2-style gunsight POV shots than you'd expect in a show about 1980s jet combat and the atmosphere at the base. "Shin and Charlie... I thought they were invincible..."

Greatly looking forward to the next one.

I watched the version that merged the first two episodes, but tbh it all made sense, was tightly paced and, most importantly, didn't feel edited at all.
BritishBlitz87Mar 12, 3:59 PM
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.

More topics from this board

» Area 88 Ending Thoughts

BlueLobster - Oct 23, 2011

5 by magatetus »»
Oct 17, 7:34 PM

» This or the TV version?

Status_Effect - Aug 16, 2015

7 by PxHC »»
Jul 1, 2023 3:18 PM

Poll: » Area 88 Episode 3 Discussion

Blackouting - Jul 6, 2012

22 by PxHC »»
Jul 1, 2023 2:16 PM

Poll: » Area 88 Episode 2 Discussion

ballistique - Feb 14, 2009

8 by Midnightfister »»
Oct 16, 2022 12:07 PM

» anyone know the song that plays at the end of OVA 2?

gedata - Jul 18, 2014

1 by gedata »»
Oct 14, 2014 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.